Jets have $80M to spend, but is Maccagnan right guy to spend it?

Ken Schroy

Look at the Jets' Roster 3 Years into Mac's regime.  In a perfect world, this team in year 4 should have been built for a playoff run next year.  Given the draft picks and cap room available this offseason it could still happen, but this team should be in better shape than it is.

Quarterback-for 2018 the Jets are LITERALLY no where.  Their 38 year old top 16 QB is not under contract for next year.  It is safe to say that Petty and Hack are both replaceable as either long term back ups.  This is actually Mac's greatest failure.

Recommendation-use both FA and the draft (combination depends on where the Jets draft) to add a starter for next year and either long-term back up or successor.

Wide Receiver-the Jets have some decent long term bargain prospects here.   This could be the position group in the best shape, along with S.

Recommendation-they could use a true no 1 WR, but I would not chase one.  Extend Kearse for a longer term for less 2018 money.  I would really avoid drafting a WR in the first round, but Ridley could be there.

TE-the Jets' 2017 TE group is the best group they have had in a long time but only Leggett is under contract for next year.   

Recommendation-sign ASJ and Tomlinson long term, and leave the position alone.

RB-McGuire and Powell are decent guys to have on the team, but the Jets could use a true no 1 back. 

Recommendation-try and upgrade position with high round draft pick, cut Forte, see how Powell ages.  

OL-another underachieving effort by the Jets.   The 2 Gs are overpaid and underachieving, Beachum is decent but needs upgrading long term, Johnson needs replacement and Shell is serviceable.

Recommendation-draft a 2nd round C, hopefully Price.  Otherwise look at add pieces in draft and FA to build a premier line.  The GM graveyard is littered with GMs like Jerry Reese who neglected their OL.

DL-once the strength of the team, now average.  I think Williams and another strong player, plus the other guys they can make work, can function.  

Recommendation-sign Robertson to incentive based contract to pair with Williams.  Look for upgrades.  

ILB-Davis is not under contract for next year, and had a Pro Bowl-ish year.  Lee is coming along, but does anyone think he is ultimately extended?   The Jets' 2 best players in 2017 are not under contract for 2018.

Recommendation-beef up position with bargain FAs and lower draft picks.  Extend Davis.

OLB-Jenkins is decent but there is no rush-another 3 year failure. 

Recommendation-Invest in a high draft pick/FA to generate more of a pass rush.

S-fine.  Middleton is coming back.  

Recommendation-leave alone.

CB-another 3 year failure.  Claiborne is expiring.  Burris is a mystery.  Some prospects.

Recommendation-sign a FA/use high draft pick to find a true number 1 corner.  Extend Claiborne for similar deal.

So when you look at Mac's three years, the Jets are inadequate in QB, OL, TE, EDGE and CB.   This is not good.  Mac will after draft and FA much better than he has in order to put a better team on the field in 2018. 

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

Look at the Jets' Roster 3 Years into Mac's regime.  In a perfect world, this team in year 4 should have been built for a playoff run next year.  Given the draft picks and cap room available this offseason it could still happen, but this team should be in better shape than it is.

Quarterback-for 2018 the Jets are LITERALLY no where.  Their 38 year old top 16 QB is not under contract for next year.  It is safe to say that Petty and Hack are both replaceable as either long term back ups.  This is actually Mac's greatest failure.

Recommendation-use both FA and the draft (combination depends on where the Jets draft) to add a starter for next year and either long-term back up or successor.

Wide Receiver-the Jets have some decent long term bargain prospects here.   This could be the position group in the best shape, along with S.

Recommendation-they could use a true no 1 WR, but I would not chase one.  Extend Kearse for a longer term for less 2018 money.  I would really avoid drafting a WR in the first round, but Ridley could be there.

TE-the Jets' 2017 TE group is the best group they have had in a long time but only Leggett is under contract for next year.   

Recommendation-sign ASJ and Tomlinson long term, and leave the position alone.

RB-McGuire and Powell are decent guys to have on the team, but the Jets could use a true no 1 back. 

Recommendation-try and upgrade position with high round draft pick, cut Forte, see how Powell ages.  

OL-another underachieving effort by the Jets.   The 2 Gs are overpaid and underachieving, Beachum is decent but needs upgrading long term, Johnson needs replacement and Shell is serviceable.

Recommendation-draft a 2nd round C, hopefully Price.  Otherwise look at add pieces in draft and FA to build a premier line.  The GM graveyard is littered with GMs like Jerry Reese who neglected their OL.

DL-once the strength of the team, now average.  I think Williams and another strong player, plus the other guys they can make work, can function.  

Recommendation-sign Robertson to incentive based contract to pair with Williams.  Look for upgrades.  

ILB-Davis is not under contract for next year, and had a Pro Bowl-ish year.  Lee is coming along, but does anyone think he is ultimately extended?   The Jets' 2 best players in 2017 are not under contract for 2018.

Recommendation-beef up position with bargain FAs and lower draft picks.  Extend Davis.

OLB-Jenkins is decent but there is no rush-another 3 year failure. 

Recommendation-Invest in a high draft pick/FA to generate more of a pass rush.

S-fine.  Middleton is coming back.  

Recommendation-leave alone.

CB-another 3 year failure.  Claiborne is expiring.  Burris is a mystery.  Some prospects.

Recommendation-sign a FA/use high draft pick to find a true number 1 corner.  Extend Claiborne for similar deal.

So when you look at Mac's three years, the Jets are inadequate in QB, OL, TE, EDGE and CB.   This is not good.  Mac will after draft and FA much better than he has in order to put a better team on the field in 2018. 

You are not wrong but I have a hard time saying this is going into year 4 of a rebuild when it was plain as day that years 1 and 2 were playoff pushes with franchise players who were about to retire. Having a lot of cap space does not equal rebuild when the roster is loaded with bad players and aging vets. This is why I tend to have more patience for Mac than some other posters on here.  We have a lot of resources at our disposal to get a franchise QB, there is no reason our fortunes can't change this offseason.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You are not wrong but I have a hard time saying this is going into year 4 of a rebuild when it was plain as day that years 1 and 2 were playoff pushes with franchise players who were about to retire. Having a lot of cap space does not equal rebuild when the roster is loaded with bad players and aging vets. This is why I tend to have more patience for Mac than some other posters on here.  We have a lot of resources at our disposal to get a franchise QB, there is no reason our fortunes can't change this offseason.

I think the Mac's first batch of FA contracts were done at the top of the market in a desperate attempt to make a splash.

I would hope that the next batch is more measured and employs aggressive but fair incentives to ensure that 2nd and 3rd contract players continue to give effort.  This should be a long term build.  Mac has been burned too many times by players who check out after they get paid.

And guys like Skrine who finally turn it on when they know they could be cap positive cut should also be restructured with cap positive contracts.  Happy to pay Skrine if he plays like has has over the last month on a weekly basis.  

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Agree 100% - I think his first year was supposed to be year of a "competitive rebuild"...and the start of a cleaning up - but because they made the unexpected run at the playoffs it became virtually impossible to continue the process.  Year 2 was a wasted season and was mainly due to the relative success of year 1.  

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not according to...everyone, even after Tanny was fired.

Fans love these stories, but there's no truth behind them.

It just felt so weird that Rex was so against the move, it seems like it would make sense for Woody to blame Tanny since he was no longer with the team. It looked like such a media ploy to draw attention away from the Giants after they won the Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It just felt so weird that Rex was so against the move, it seems like it would make sense for Woody to blame Tanny since he was no longer with the team. It looked like such a media ploy to draw attention away from the Giants after they won the Super Bowl.

I get the boogeyman blame for his repeated dumbass power structure, but Woody Johnson does not get on the phone to gauge interest and then negotiate for players under contract with other teams. I'm not certain the man even ties his own shoes. The GM alone does that (the former task, at least ;)). 

Archived