What I Want for Christmas (i.e. the coming Offseason)

Warfish

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

We are going into year four and there's been zero effort from this regime to tie themselves to a young QB. Whether it be trading up(which they easily could have, twice) or taken Watson- 

Why do people keep saying this?. If we had picked QB at spot 6 it is far more likely we would have taken Mahomes than Watson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think, when a guy at the professional level, can't hit open WRs when he has time to throw, the problem stops being his "situation."  This is the same as the Sanchez argument.  Sure, we didn't do him any favors after year-3, but he was still wildly inaccurate with time to throw.

Petty was a fourth round pick in an incredibly weak quarterback class. The third passer off the board that year was Garrett Grayson. We are way past likelihoods and probabilities. He was not a good prospect and he is not a good quarterback. Has absolutely nothing to do with coaching or systems.

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

When and what were these desperate attempts to start the kids?  

2015 - Geno was named the starter, with no competition.  Only loses the job because the dipsh*t gets himself knocked out.  Bowles opts not to bench Fitz while they're in playoff contention throughout the season.

2016 - Bowles idiotically names an unsigned Fitz starter (won't get any argument from me about the stupidity there).  Bowles benches Fitz for Geno in week 6, names Geno starter after that, and then he gets hurt.  Admittedly is in no rush to move onto the third stringer (Petty), but eventually does.

2017 - Bowles plays Hack with the starters all throughout camp and preseason.  Hack is so immeasurably bad, he literally makes the entire team look worse when on the field.  McCown, who they hardly even bothered to look at, wins by default.

The supposed refusal to play any young kids at QB centers entirely on the QBs' own ineptitude, other than the supposed victimization of Petty, who sucked last year and has sucked this year.  Maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be such an issue if the young QBs weren't steaming piles of horse crap.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

2015 - Geno was named the starter, with no competition.  Only loses the job because the dipsh*t gets himself knocked out.  Bowles opts not to bench Fitz while they're in playoff contention throughout the season.

2016 - Bowles idiotically names an unsigned Fitz starter (won't get any argument from me about the stupidity there).  Bowles benches Fitz for Geno in week 6, names Geno starter after that, and then he gets hurt.  Admittedly is in no rush to move onto the third stringer (Petty), but eventually does.

2017 - Bowles plays Hack with the starters all throughout camp and preseason.  Hack is so immeasurably bad, he literally makes the entire team look worse when on the field.  McCown, who they hardly even bothered to look at, wins by default.

The supposed refusal to play any young kids at QB centers entirely on them screwing it up royally, and the supposed victimization of Petty, who sucked last year and has sucked this year.  Maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be such an issue if the young QBs weren't steaming piles of horse crap.

They sat McCown almost the entire preseason and then begged him not to talk to the media about it.

24 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The supposed refusal to play any young kids at QB centers entirely on the QBs' own ineptitude, other than the supposed victimization of Petty, who sucked last year and has sucked this year.  Maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be such an issue if the young QBs weren't steaming piles of horse crap.

These do not seem like desperate attempts.  These seem like half hearted attempts to ultimately stick with his savvy veteran.  Homey played Fitz in week 17 of last year.  A desperate attempt to me would have been to give Hack a look.  They let Fitz hold them hostage, going to Geno when he was the worst QB in the league, is that desperate?  I could also argue that not giving McCown snaps was because he was the starter and didn't want to risk injury with his history.

That said, fiddling around with worthless vets really is the worst possible strategy.  Teams that ride or die with their young QB's typically are better for it in the long run.  And here we are again.

Attempts?  Sure.  Desperate attempts?  Not really.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why? Knicks have good young players and currently a winning record ... unlike the jets

Yes and after 15 years of consistently destroying this team (and the Rangers) with horrible decisions (Isaiah Thomas, Alan Houston, Phil Jackson) Dolan finally has stayed out of it for a few minutes and the team is exciting.  So are we supposed to hope he continues to keep his hands off?  Not likely.  He's a cancer to both teams and they would be far better off in almost anyone else's hands.

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes and after 15 years of consistently destroying this team (and the Rangers) with horrible decisions (Isaiah Thomas, Alan Houston, Phil Jackson) Dolan finally has stayed out of it for a few minutes and the team is exciting.  So are we supposed to hope he continues to keep his hands off?  Not likely.  He's a cancer to both teams and they would be far better off in almost anyone else's hands.

Keep whining all you want the Knicks are in way better shape currently than the jets oh and Dolan also owns the rangers who have been in the playoffs and competing every year while Woody is lost in his own world hosting tea parties in London

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Keep whining all you want the Knicks are in way better shape currently than the jets oh and Dolan also owns the rangers who have been in the playoffs and competing every year while Woody is lost in his own world hosting tea parties in London

So your taking the position that Dolan is a good owner.  Got it.  Peace out.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely no chance in hell the Jets can sell the “youth movement” narrative in Year Five unless they land Rosen or Darnold, which they won’t because Bowles insisted on McCown for 13 games. And given that there’s less than zero chance they’ll draft Mayfield or Jackson, we’re pretty much guaranteed another year of McCown, or another three of Cousins or Alex Smith. 

I don't think it is a certainty McCown will want to play next year. He seemed iffy right before his surgery.

Why do you say the Jets wouldn't draft Mayfield?

On 12/20/2017 at 12:48 PM, Warfish said:

1. I want Bowles fired.  I want to replace him with someone who has some of Rex's passion tempered by Bowles seriousness, a coach who can lead men both in private and in public, and shows the fans he cares, but not to crazypants meme-worthy levels.  A Coach with gravitas and a resume, a man who has won something, done something in football, college or Pro.  Who?  No idea.

2. I want the Jets to draft a QB in the first round.  Personally, I want Baker Mayfield.  But I would accept a reasonable trade up for Darnold/Allen/Rosen, or a trade down to pick Jackson or Rudolph.  I simply want a 1st round QB that we will build around, whomever that guy is.  I do not want a Hack who will ride pine for three years, I want a kid with passion, talent, potential and the drive to start and start now.  A player we have no need to worry about "hurting his confidence" if we play him.  if we want to draft a 2nd QB in a later round (4, 5 or 6 say) thats fine too.  We must have hope at this position.

3. I want a dedication to rebuilding the O-line with our 80 million in Free Agent money.  The line today is unacceptable, one of our worst units.  It must be improved for our young QB to flourish.  If we're going to spend, spend here on the best, most elite talent available this off-season.  2 top FA players, minimum.

4. I want to cut Forte.  I want to replace him with someone dynamic and young in the draft.  Not worried what round, just someone we think can pair with McGuire and Powell effectively.  Our young QB will need a productive trio of RB's to help him early on.

5. I do NOT want to draft any WR's.  Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Hanson, Stewart at WR, ASJ, Tomlinson and the injured Leggett at TE is 100% fine by me, talent wise.  Give them all a chance.

6. I do NOT want to draft Defense until at least round 4 of the draft.  If we have FA money, fine, spend some of it to bolster CB, LB or DLine.  But no drafting D-Linemen.

7. I do NOT want to see any emphasis on "kick returners" this off-season.  The Kick Return game is, without question, one of the least relevant in the modern day NFL.  Put your best hands guy back there, and down it in the end zone every single time, and we'd be better off 90% of the time.  Focus should be "no fumbles", not "big returns".  Not in this era.

8. I do NOT want to see another Veteran JAG QB brought in to start.  It serves no purpose.  If our draft pick is not ready day 1, start Hack.  Or Petty.  Or some very cheap PS or #3 QB we steal from another team.  No McCowns, No Vicks, No Fitz's, No Boomer's.  Just no dammit.  If we absolutely MUST have a "veteran QB" on the roster (as opposed to as a Coach), he must be declared the #3 day 1 and there must be no chance he plays outside injury to both #1 and #2 QB's.  And no spending 30 million on some other teams castoff, the grass is not always greener.  

9. I want the "go young" motif on this year to continue.  No new FA signings of players over 30 if avoidable.  We're building here.  We're not one piece away.

10. Next year must be about development and improvement, not winning games.  Player personnel decisions need to be made with a long-term view to consistent competitiveness, not short term fixes or one-year grabs for the playoffs.   

This is not that much to ask IMO.  All of this is generally reasonable.

no arguments with anything except maybe bowles. to me the head coach is more of a figure head who is supposed to keep his team motivated and pointed in the right direction.  the assistants are the guys who do all the grunt work of making sure their units understand the game plan and how to execute the plays. i also don't have much argument with the overall game plans.  the offense has looked pretty good.  i think most fans are concerned about the defense not being as good as projected but a lot of that is still about finding the right players.  i think people don't realize how badly this team was left after 6 seasons of rex and 2 of idzik.  and let's not forget that rex had two top 5 defenses and then not much else.

the caution is that if they extend bowles it'll be for another 3 seasons or so and that means he will be coach for at least 2 more seasons.

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

and how long did that transformation take?  they even had the basketball guru of all time running things and failed.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We’re taking about current events if you want to debate ten years ago please by all means

10 years ago?  has allan houston come off the books yet?  the knicks were terrible last season.  this season they're not doing too badly but don't get your hopes up for a playoff run.

On 12/21/2017 at 7:45 AM, Dunnie said:

Verbose ... I agree with most of your list .. I still think bowles might be the guy ... The team plays hard for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not last year. Not all of them. The ones that play hard are going to do that for any coach. It’s the ones that don’t play hard who need a coach to give them a reason. Bowles doesn’t do that.

He also doesn’t put player in position to succeed, based on 3 years here.

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not last year. Not all of them. The ones that play hard are going to do that for any coach. It’s the ones that don’t play hard who need a coach to give them a reason. Bowles doesn’t do that.

He also doesn’t put player in position to succeed, based on 3 years here.

The Jets are just fundamentally structurally flawed.  

I don't see the benefit to trying to replace MacBowles when we already are at the end of the line, and under the current structure/past approach, I don't see the first time hires the Jets find to step in their shoes be any better.  

And for Bowles, it is hard to judge what kind of a coach he is when the talent is so bad.

The biggest thing they need is a real Football President instead of a Johnson to oversee what MacBowles does.  That is the most positive step they can make in 2018.  Let the other 2 clowns work for their lives next year without an extension.

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets are just fundamentally structurally flawed.  

I don't see the benefit to trying to replace MacBowles when we already are at the end of the line, and under the current structure/past approach, I don't see the first time hires the Jets find to step in their shoes be any better.  

And for Bowles, it is hard to judge what kind of a coach he is when the talent is so bad.

The biggest thing they need is a real Football President instead of a Johnson to oversee what MacBowles does.  That is the most positive step they can make in 2018.  Let the other 2 clowns work for their lives next year without an extension.

Jets fans are the worst enablers.

The notion that Bowles cannot be evaluated, because we don’t have a football czar or perfect roster is naive. Sorry.

I do agree that the organization is flawed, though.

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Jets fans are the worst enablers.

The notion that Bowles cannot be evaluated, because we don’t have a football czar or perfect roster is naive. Sorry.

I do agree that the organization is flawed, though.

I am not making excuses for them.  I just think that in order to truly get better, the Johnsons need to hit bottom and admit they have hit bottom.  

I think these past 2 seasons combined will be the worst 2 back to back Jets seasons in a long time.  Priority 1 is to not screw up the draft picks and to avoid bad contracts/FA acquisitions.  I just don't see these 2 guys coming up with a good plan for that, but now that Gettleman and Dorsey are likely gone, I wonder who is going to be better.

Another option is to let them stew and go after the Patriots team when they are finished.  If it does not work, so be it.  If it works out, then you fire them.

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Holy crap. Something I never thought I would see. Someone actually PRAISING DOLAN as an Owner. Will wonders never cease?

Archived