Manish Mehta Got IT RIGHT this Time!!

UnTypicalJET

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The defense has been decent but it's one of those deals where if our O scores 20 the D will allow 21, if we score 10 they allow 13.  Last week as soon as we scored to tie it the D who had played "great" all game then allowed a quick TD to give SD the lead back. In No when we got it to 24-19 we allowed a quick TD to erase any chance we may have had.  The D has underachieved this season, it's been deceptive in recent weeks as teams know they don't have to score a lot against us and are a little more conservative knowing the only way they can lose to us is if they turn it over and even when they did in NO we still couldn't win.

Break but don't bend

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

So preseason expectations are important because Cardinals fans supposedly want Todd Bowles because he's got 5 wins this year when Vegas had him winning 4?

Tell me how this is important or matters at all please. 

Because it shapes how the Jets are reported on outside of New York.

This is why national reporters are so complimentary to Bowles

Bowles stinks. He has got to be the most boring, emotionless, clueless, non-halftime adjustment coach we have ever had. 

Mac, I’m willing to give him a pass. I’m aware he has not helped us find our franchise QB but he has found us some pretty good players and some much needed depth. I want Mac to pick his own guy!!! 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

For me. I try not to have any expectations when it comes to sports

I try to stay reasonable but as I see the team I will make adjustments.  I came into this season expecting 4-6 wins(it may have been 3-5) but after watching us the first 4-5 weeks I thought we were capable of winning 7-8 or more.  Last year I went into the season thinking anywhere from 7-9 wins, after the first 4-5 weeks I thought we'd be lucky to get to 6. expectations are what they are but they can change.  all the talk about the Giants was SB or bust this year, they are going to win 2 games. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If I were the Jets I would wait to see who is available, and then make a decision. I don’t want another neophyte HC

what if that neophyte turned out to be like McVay?  I hear you though, I would like an established guy if we were to make a move.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

Not sure....reportedly he tried to get Marriotta and that would have cost a bundle, looking back I'm glad he didn't. He also reportedly tried to move up to get either Geoff or Wentz, in either case I think that would have been a win. 

So at best it was a 50/50 shot with either of those trades. I'm not defending the guy or shooting him down. I just don't want to give up the river, the boat and a few handmaidens if you are not 100% sure. There is always a limit to what you pay because some teams will ask for the moon and stars. I know we need one but we still have to be realistic.

The problem with trying to be 100% sure is that you are NEVER and can NEVER be 100% sure when you draft a player out of college. 

Players develop because of organizations and often the offensive philosophy, so eventually you have to take a risk of some type, to draft a player who can change your franchise around and not consistently go with the safe pick.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Hi I'm Todd Bowles, I've decided to let the league know I'm available to bring my 11-21 two year record to your local NFL football team. If you like old fashioned football I'm your man. I won't take any crazy chances & try to score in any 2 minute situation...just too dangerous. Also TOs are overrated , I like to use them at any moment of the game except in situations when I'm not trying to score as it's much better to sit on a deficit until we at least get to the 4th quarter. Of course, if we're outscored in the 3rd quarter too, there is no point in using TOs as running the ball & burning the clock is the best way to end the game, get out of town & put another loss behind us. In fact I never look back, just forward, that's why we never review tape of past mistakes as they are in the past. Let me bring my brilliance to your organization. I'm available for just a 4th round pick. I'll be waiting for your calls.

hell, if anyone offers a bag of rocks for you, i hope the jets jump at it!!

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Mehta is a toolbag messenger/apologist for Macagnan 

This article is the “Let’s give Macagnan a 3 year extension” manifesto (aka - loser manifesto chapter 3)

Well even more than that, in the article he's outright called for a 2 year extension for Bowles (putting him under contract for 3 more seasons total). 

I don't know where this idea emerged that a HC can't coach in his final contract year and must be given an extension. If he goes and they bring in someone new the next year, those who slacked off will have to answer for their crappy play as well. They all have an interest in succeeding, and if you have a player that'd tank his play on the field because he wants to get the HC fired, then you've chosen players and/or coaches poorly anyway. 

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

No.  Mehta got it completely wrong again.  This is the same Bowles that took a knee with over a minute remaining in a half.  The same Bowles that gave up with over 30 seconds left in the half in BUF.  The same Bowles that was driving the bus while Wilkerson quit on the team.   He has shown repeatedly he has little sense of the game clock and in-game adjustments.  He doesn't seem to have any command of how the run an offense and frankly, the defense was not special this year.  

Yet here is Mehta organizing a parade because the team won 5 games when they were predicted to win perhaps 3?  

If he's such a hot commodity in the league, let just one team offer us a 4th rounder for him.  And say 'yes'.

Agreed and there are some on here following Bowles with 5 win pom poms.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

it's the New York Daily News, all they do is try to make headlines. They had a "writer" literally compare Geno Smith to Drew Brees a few weeks back saying Geno would be the next Brees if he got a chance and going on and on about how great geno really was his early years w/ the Jets.  I'm not joking.

Their first 3 seasons were pretty much identical, thats all he said.  Hes right, but doesnt make Geno the next Drew Brees though.  

I have to admit that this is a bullsh*t article.

This isnt nitpicking. Being down a score before halftime with 3 timeouts and 50 seconds on the clock and watching your coach tell his QB to take a "knee" isnt nitpicking due to clockmanagement. That's complaining about a coach who decided not to actually try to score points before halftime. To watch a coach make controversial 4th down decisions such as knowing when to punt or go for it cant be considered nitpicking when that same coaching staff basically states how they were waving the white flag. To watch a coach play off coverage in a 2015 season week 17 game against the Bills and we all watch in disbelief as we watch The Bills run slant after slant after slant after slant with Sammy Watkins because Bowles didnt want Revis to get beat deep, so instead he allows him to repeatedly get beat underneath. This article isnt convincing me Metha.

Also, why is it that once again Todd Bowles is being loosely compared to future HOF coaches? Sure, Reid may have been criticized for his game management, but look at Reid's Resume. Reid has been coaching for 20 years and you cant find a 3 year stretch as bad as Todd Bowles. And sure, if the Seahawks would have won the game people would have roasted Belicheat for not calling a TO...but the fact that he's made it to the SB then manufactured possibly the greatest SB comeback of all-time last year against the Falcons once again shows the difference between coaching caliber. 

WHY I ASK, is Todd Bowles being loosely associated with coaches that have history in this league? Sure, im not going to blame Todd for Macc's mistakes, but cut the crap like Jets fans are nitpicking at this man when many of us who are now calling for him to be dismissed supported him. The fact of the matter is, there are games that we lost due to not having enough talent, but there are also games where the Jets lost because they were outcoached or the game was mismanaged. That's not nitpicking, those are facts. 

And Jets fans arent asking for his dismissal in order to find the next Sean McVay, but it would be cool to get an offensive minded head coach with history. Every time we change HC's we get a defensive minded guy who doesnt have any history. How about getting an offensive minded HC with some history of being successful. The last time we had that was Bill Parcells (in respect to HC history). That's 20 years ago. 

This article didnt trick me. Get Bowles and Macc the f up outta here and get a group of guys in here who will be able to complete the rebuild. I cant trust Macc to find our QB. This guy drafted the two worst QB's in both draft classes. I know that it wont be popular but I really like what Sashi Brown did out there in Cleveland in terms of stacking up young talent, establishing salary cap and picking up a boatload of picks. The Cleveland Browns are just a cursed organization for some reason. 

It's time to move on from both of these guys, but most definitely Todd Bowles. 

Some how you must have thought that not experiencing high levels of success here in NY is something that doesn’t occur on a regular basis. The JETS are known by everyone in the football world to be one of the worst jobs you can take due to leadership and fan base. As a fan I can admit this as fact. These people aren’t dumb, they see that Todd Bowles has been going to GUN FIGHTS WITH RUBBER KNIVES. 3 seasons of work with limited players won’t be able to tarnish the reputation and respect he garnered with some of the best in the game. So it doesn’t surprise me one bit that he is being discussed with other jobs. The Jets always find a way to point the finger at the coach and not themselves which is why I think Woody is finally trying to see this through. He understands that outside of Cleveland he is the laughing stock of the league. And ruining a coach who is highly respected without proper pieces to excel would just add to that notion. Every coach that has left here has gotten another job. I wonder why? Hell Belicheck knocked on the door, walked in and looked around AND WALKED THE HELL OUT. Why was that?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

40 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

Some how you must have thought that not experiencing high levels of success here in NY is something that doesn’t occur on a regular basis. The JETS are known by everyone in the football world to be one of the worst jobs you can take due to leadership and fan base. As a fan I can admit this as fact. These people aren’t dumb, they see that Todd Bowles has been going to GUN FIGHTS WITH RUBBER KNIVES. 3 seasons of work with limited players won’t be able to tarnish the reputation and respect he garnered with some of the best in the game. So it doesn’t surprise me one bit that he is being discussed with other jobs. The Jets always find a way to point the finger at the coach and not themselves which is why I think Woody is finally trying to see this through. He understands that outside of Cleveland he is the laughing stock of the league. And ruining a coach who is highly respected without proper pieces to excel would just add to that notion. Every coach that has left here has gotten another job. I wonder why? Hell Belicheck knocked on the door, walked in and looked around AND WALKED THE HELL OUT. Why was that?

Then please let me know how many more rebuilds are enough for a coaching staff. 

Last i checked he haf one of the more talented jets teams as a whole in 2015 yet found a way not to make the playoffs by getting swept by rex and the bills because he refused to address revis inability to cover watkins. 

2nd year he lost the locker room and by year 3 were under another rebuild. 

Give me a break.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well even more than that, in the article he's outright called for a 2 year extension for Bowles (putting him under contract for 3 more seasons total). 

I don't know where this idea emerged that a HC can't coach in his final contract year and must be given an extension. If he goes and they bring in someone new the next year, those who slacked off will have to answer for their crappy play as well. They all have an interest in succeeding, and if you have a player that'd tank his play on the field because he wants to get the HC fired, then you've chosen players and/or coaches poorly anyway. 

I don’t know either where it became written in stone coaches can’t coach in the final year of a contract.  Players play in the final year of their deal all the time

4 minutes ago, UnTypicalJET said:

2015 was nothing more than players with names and a soft schedule. Fitz has a year he will never have again that ironically resembled “having a legitament QB”! Rex ass won 4 games and then Bowles came and won 10 with the same damn pieces so you give me a damn break!

Soft schedule, $60 mil in cap room and high draft position yet they couldn’t even make the friggin playoffs yet that’s the reason both Mac and Bowles are getting extended 

Un   Believable

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Soft schedule, $60 mil in cap room and high draft position yet they couldn’t even make the friggin playoffs yet that’s the reason both Mac and Bowles are getting extended 

Un   Believable

You just asked why coaches couldnt coach in the final year of a contract and now you are saying they are getting extended. 

Contradictory much?

4 hours ago, UnTypicalJET said:

2015 was nothing more than players with names and a soft schedule. Fitz has a year he will never have again that ironically resembled “having a legitament QB”! Rex ass won 4 games and then Bowles came and won 10 with the same damn pieces so you give me a damn break!

Rex got the walking papers he earned, but I'm sorry, the "same damn pieces"?

• never-was 2nd yr Geno + has-been/mailed-it-in Vick = Fitz in his best season by a wide margin?
  • limping, 1-hammy Decker = 2 hammy Decker?
  • half season of Percy Harvin = full season of Brandon Marshall?
  • ultra-raw Enunwa deservedly on PS for 15 games = 2nd yr Enunwa on active roster?
  • 6 inconsistent to terrible starts from Winters/Aboushi = 16 consistent starts from Carpenter?
  • starting CBs/trio of Antonio Allen + Darren Walls + Marcus Williams = Revis + Cromartie + Skrine?
  • rookie Pryor = 2nd year Pryor (his only decent season)?
  • Leo Williams = 100% worthless?

In name or effectiveness (e.g. injured decker ≠ healthy Decker) there were like 10 different starters from 2014-2015. And for all his faults, Gailey was a noticeable improvement as OC over Mornhinweg (significant for HCs who are non-assets on offense like Rex and Bowles). 

Those players were more than just names. Decker was still a good WR when healthy; Marshall - for all his other obvious baggage - was still a serious weapon who made the whole offense go for 1 season; Revis was still an above-average corner even if he wasn't nearly what he once was. The only "name only" new player was Cromartie, and he was still a better & more reliable starter than a LB/S that was converted to corner last minute out of desperation.

No doubt the ultra-cushy schedule was a huge factor in 2015, and that 1 season wasn't worth the piper that had to be paid for the next 2 seasons after that - 2 seasons and counting when you consider the players we passed up on because of them - but that doesn't mean they weren't significant, stark upgrades over their 2014 starting counterparts. 

What's special is we're about to get that same 1-year turnaround, that'll still fall well short of our goal. In doing so, the retained Macc will again waste 3 years worth of flexibility and smarter long-term investment opportunities in 2018 to buy himself an extension the Johnsons will be dumb enough to hand him. Gone will be what could be an attractive opportunity for replacing both if we had a normal power structure that would lure competent people here. 

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Their first 3 seasons were pretty much identical, thats all he said.  Hes right, but doesnt make Geno the next Drew Brees though.  

except they weren't identical. by Bree's 3rd season starting he would lead SD to a 12-4 record and become a pro bowl player.

Brees 1st 3 seasons starting vs. Geno's career

42 starts for Brees, 31 for Geno

Brees: 787-1282, 61%, 8551 yds, 55 TDs, 38 INTs, 82.9 rating

Geno: 522-902, 57.9%, 6174 yds, 29 TDs, 36 INts, 72.9 rating

Prorating Geno's attempts to match Brees he would have had: 41 TDs and 51 INTs

so no they were far from identical and for some writer to claim Geno can be the next Brees shows that writer didn't watch Geno. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

except they weren't identical. by Bree's 3rd season starting he would lead SD to a 12-4 record and become a pro bowl player.

Brees 1st 3 seasons starting vs. Geno's career

42 starts for Brees, 31 for Geno

Brees: 787-1282, 61%, 8551 yds, 55 TDs, 38 INTs, 82.9 rating

Geno: 522-902, 57.9%, 6174 yds, 29 TDs, 36 INts, 72.9 rating

Prorating Geno's attempts to match Brees he would have had: 41 TDs and 51 INTs

so no they were far from identical and for some writer to claim Geno can be the next Brees shows that writer didn't watch Geno. 

He never said Geno would be the next Brees and yes their numbers after 3 years were almost identical.  Makes no difference what Brees did in year 3.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He never said Geno would be the next Brees and yes their numbers after 3 years were almost identical.  Makes no difference what Brees did in year 3.  

he as making the case that geno could be the next Brees.  The title of the article is "The Insane Untapped Potential of Giants Backup and Former Jets QB geno Smith".  some of the highlights of the article:

"uplifted his team to an 8-8 record in his first season starting on a team predicted to win four or fewer games"

"won at least half those games in dramatic fashion by leading game winning drives"

"the young careers of Smith and Brees are so similar they could pass for twins"

Brees soon received Hall of Fame help, but Smith's on field legacy has been judged by his 1-7 second year start to this very day.  Forgotten, or never realized, was:"

"1. His REMARKABLE rookie season"

so remarkable he  threw 12 TDs and 21 INts.  In 3 pt loss at NE threw 3 4th qtr INts, needed penalty to get into FG range to win vs TB. In win over NE we scored on D, had 2 chances to put game away late and in OT on a 14 play GW drive he attempted 1 pass. vs. NO completed 8 passes. He did play well the final qtr of the season but to call his rookie season remarkable is pure comedy.

"5. His 105.3 passer rating over his final four game second year stretch"

nice rating over 4 games, the problem is he had a 158 rating in one of those final 4, in the other 3 his rating was an average of 86.5

"6. His insane untapped potential"

could this be more comical? 

back to his rookie season:

"Smith led a comeback win over the Bills"

we never trailed in that game.

"In a 5 week span, Geno led come from behind wins against Matt Ryan, Tom Brady and...wait for it... Drew Brees"

He did a great job at Atlanta against what would be a 4-12 Falcons team

against Brady the D scored a TD and held Brady to 6 pts in the 2nd half and OT

vs. Brees he was 8 of 19 w/ zero TDs

"His five game winning drives tied Tom Brady"

vs. TB: needed late hit OOb to attempt long FG for the win, only scored 18 pts against D that allowed over 24/gm for the season

vs. Buf: game was tied, he threw TD pass w/ 9 1/2 mins left.  Buf had 4 more possessions to tie it.

at Atl: GREAT job leading GW FG drive

vs. NE: we held NE to 6 pts in 3rd, 4th and OT.  D also scored a TD and Geno had thrown a pick 6 earlier in game to put us in hole. not only a pick 6 but we were at NE 20 so that was at least a 10 pt swing. 14 play drive to win it, he threw it ONE time.

vs. Cle: it was 10-10 early 4th and we scored a TD.  we won 24-13

"and yet, Geno's comp rate of 55.8% surpassed the rookie campaigns of Drew Brees..."

Drew played in ONE game, attempted 27 passes and completed 15(55.5%). In his first season starting he completed 60.8%

"If Geno Smith received absolutely zero credit for CREATING 8 wins w/ a 3 win team..."

Seriously?

This guy quotes a twitter account called "awful white QBs", he works Kaepernick into the article.  this is a racist, agenda driven "writer".  Typical Daily News trash.

the article closes w/:

"Can you imagine Geno with a future career as great as Drew Brees?"

he is calling him the next Brees if he gets another shot. 

Archived