Bilal Powell heading into his age 30 season...

SenorGato

5 minutes ago, BigO said:

Never happens. You bugging 

Plenty of great RBs have left teams in their prime. Martin, Faulk, Dickerson, Riggins, Johnson, Bettis....You know what actually never happens? An 8th year pro career below average backup RB makes $4.8. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

That’s not what he’s doing by cutting the Jets’ multiple 30+ $4 million+ RBs or even all three. The position doesn’t suddenly become an impossible to fill hole because the husk of Matt Forte and Bill Powell got cut. 

There's no need to force they're own hand, and its not like his cap hit is an issue. Cut Forte and keep Powell if or until its abundantly clear that you have a better alternative. Not a moment sooner. That's good management.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Plenty of great RBs have left teams in their prime. Martin, Faulk, Dickerson, Riggins, Johnson, Bettis....You know what actually never happens? An 8th year pro career below average backup RB makes $4.8. 

5 mill is a bit much for Powell. 3.5 is doable and fair. We don’t use him anyways for some inexplicable reason. This offense has been offensive for years. Cut Powell, set him free from this jive azz team and you’ll see how foolish a move it will be. 

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

On top of Stockholm Syndrome, I don’t think this board as a whole fully appreciates the Jets’ cap situation and the potential it has to completely facelift this franchise. It’s literally the only silver lining for this organization in almost a decade and so many want to piss it away.

Think about what you guys are saying. A 30 YO RB whose work has all come as the backup RB on terrible teams, compiling junk yards most of the time, and has resulted in one strong year out of 7 should get $5 million because he *might* get better. Who *truly* buys this stuff? 

Dude please. Leave Bilal Powell alone. Bell is staying with Pittsburgh. They will tag him or sign him. No way they let him go now especially since The Rapist announced He is coming back. Powell is a good change of pace back and McGuire is not on his level. I don't think you understand that Powells 4.8 mil is not going to break the Jets back especially since Forte is a goner. Draft an RB early and go to war with them. Powell and his cap hit are not the problem.

6 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

There's no need to force they're own hand, and its not like his cap hit is an issue. Cut Forte and keep Powell if or until its abundantly clear that you have a better alternative. Not a moment sooner. That's good management.

You guys keep saying this but it’s not true. Of course $4.8 million for a career backup RB turning 30 is an issue.

Good management involves understanding  big salary and below average production is sub-optimal. The Jets should be shooting for optimal, this offseason more than ever. 

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

5 mill is a bit much for Powell. 3.5 is doable and fair. 

$3.5 million is probably close to double what they should actually pay him. 

I am positive both the Jets and I would survive cutting Bilal Powell and using his salary to get good, impactful talent this offseason. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

$3.5 million is probably close to double what they should actually pay him. 

I am positive both the Jets and I would survive cutting Bilal Powell and using his salary to get good, impactful talent this offseason. 

Don’t be a cheapskate. He’s been with the Jets his entire career and has been a steady contributor, never complains and produces consistently. Where go you shop? KMart

15 minutes ago, BigO said:

Don’t be a cheapskate. He’s been with the Jets his entire career and has been a steady contributor, never complains and produces consistently. Where go you shop? KMart

I thought you were just whining about me wanting to pay Bell? 

He’s been with the Jets for 7 years and delivered one standout season for an 11 loss team. Aren’t you one of the many posters who whine about the current Jets being too loyal to older players? How is this any different beyond you guys imagining $4.8 million dollars for a 30 YO below average backup RB is no big deal? 

54 minutes ago, BigO said:

He's been meh.  He's an old backup running back.  There's no reason to pay him that much.  He's completely replaceable.

I like Bilal bit Gato is absolutely correct.  Running this org like a proper business would mean maximizing efficiency.  Powell is a depreciating widget not worth sacrificing  his opportunity cost.

It should not matter that we have a lot of cap space. He’s an easily replacable part for much cheaper. Take that $4 mill saved and put it toward Kirk Cousins. 

I think option 1 should be to renegotiate him to $2.5 mill, if he declines then he’s an easy cut IMO. Beacause his dead money is $1 mill no matter what you’re essentially ponying up an extra $1.5 mill on this year’s cap for his services- reasonable.

Forget Bell, too much at that position, maybe if we were in a closing window of opportunity to put us over the top but obvi that’s not the case here in Jetland.

There will be other FA RB’s btw. How about Dion Lewis?! He’s a top 8 RB imo and won’t break the bank.

i think this draft we finally go offense heavy.  Take a RB in the top 3 rounds. QB in the first Obvi if we don’t get Cousins (we NEED Kirk Cousins) and also some OL in the top 3 rounds (remeber we have 2 second rounders).

Dream World 2018 Edition:

QB kirk Cousins

WR Allen robinson

A solid Guard

Resign - ASJ, Maurice Clay, Demario Davis

#6 best Notre Dame OL

# 37 best LSU RB

#49 best CB available

3rd round - best whoever bc **** this is already a playoff team with the above additions

51 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Running this org like a proper business would mean maximizing efficiency.

Value  > efficiency. Generally speaking It’s like buying groceries for yourself. You have so much to spend and it’s about maxing the quality of the food you’re eating until the next time you shop. In this case the Jets have alot to spend, a limited window to spend it (‘18-‘19 thanks to the 80% thing, can’t not eat), and a relatively short time (3 years of cap expansion) to “eat” the groceries.

If you give me alot of money to spend, incentivize me to spend sooner rather than later, and tell me whatever I buy only has to last three days, I will eat like a king with badass proteins. Hence Cousins and Bell being the guys to go after...Less to spend on the same timeline then yeah unfortunately refined sugars and processed meats like the ASJs and Demario Davis of FA are where you’re forced to. 

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I’d say the mentality that paying above average salaries to below average players because the money is there is one of this franchise’s big two problems historically. 

Very true. So you in turn want to underpay and eject one of the few bright spots on this roster over the last 5 years. Brilliant. What message does that send to young players and free agents about how they are valued here. Not exactly a wise business move.  Regardless, it’s a moot point. This organization is azz backwards which is why it’s ever moving forward as it’s structured. But hey we got guys like you that think just like them. Send them your resume. And stop neg repping my every post. Two can play the same game. Your like a child with a gun in his hand. 

39 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Value  > efficiency. Generally speaking It’s like buying groceries for yourself. You have so much to spend and it’s about maxing the quality of the food you’re eating until the next time you shop. In this case the Jets have alot to spend, a limited window to spend it (‘18-‘19 thanks to the 80% thing, can’t not eat), and a relatively short time (3 years of cap expansion) to “eat” the groceries.

I knew it. You shop for groceries at Walmart and get your clothes at KMart. It all makes sense now. 

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

Very true. So you in turn want to underpay and eject one of the few bright spots on this roster over the last 5 years. Brilliant. What message does that send to young players and free agents about how they are valued here. Not exactly a wise business move.  Regardless, it’s a moot point. This organization is azz backwards which is why it’s ever moving forward as it’s structured. But hey we got guys like you that think just like them. Send them your resume. And stop neg repping my every post. Two can play the same game. Your like a child with a gun in his hand. 

Oh sh*t, are you that Phil guy? 

Just now, SenorGato said:

Oh sh*t, are you that Phil guy? 

I take it this Phil guy thinks you’re a horses ? azz huh. No not me but I do think you’re becoming a horses azz. Just for the record. Cut the sh*t Sherlock. Agree to disagree without all the neg repping. What is it with you clowns. 

4 hours ago, adb280z said:

He's been meh.  He's an old backup running back.  There's no reason to pay him that much.  He's completely replaceable.

Agreed on the pay. But Powell has been a reasonable guy from day one. He’s never bitched about salary or play time. He’s a consummate pro who has steadily improved. It’s not his fault this dumb organization hasn’t utilized him more.  I can see Powell leaving and thriving elsewhere. In fact I hope he does and many on here will be crying why did we ever let this guy go. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Why would I, a real chisler, want to drive to two different stores that sell the same stuff?! Come on, Phil! 

Sorry but your antidepressants must be giving you hallucinations. Don’t know any Phil. Is that your imaginary friend? As to why you go to Walmart and KMart, you’ll have to take that up with your therapist. ?

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

He’s never bitched about salary or play time.

I would keep my mouth shut if some guy was giving me lots of money to not be good at NFL football too. You would hear my crying after I got hit, if alive and awake, but besides that there would be zero complaints. 

26 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I would keep my mouth shut if some guy was giving me lots of money to not be good at NFL football too. You would hear my crying after I got hit, if alive and awake, but besides that there would be zero complaints. 

Yea he sucks alright

1/3 of those yards comes from the flukiest of runs.

Do you happen to have Youtube highlights of the combined 118 carries and 347 yards he put up against Buffalo, NE, Oakland, Miami, Cleveland (where he also got hurt), Atlanta, Miami again, NE again, TB, Carolina, KC, Denver, and NO in 2017? That’s 13(!!!!!!) of the 16 games, and he missed one full game due to injury! Invaluable! 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

1/3 of those yards comes from the flukiest of runs.

Do you happen to have Youtube highlights of the combined 118 carries and 347 yards he put up against Buffalo, NE, Oakland, Miami, Cleveland (where he also got hurt), Atlanta, Miami again, NE again, TB, Carolina, KC, Denver, and NO in 2017? That’s 13(!!!!!!) of the 16 games, and he missed one game due to injury! Invaluable! 

Gimme a break. Like we have had an OL that can run block over the last several years.  He averages over 4 yards a carry. And he has excellent hands and is a good blocker, is great on screens and runs between the tackles. Of all the players to bitch about on this team, you bitch about the one that warrants praise. Haven’t you been scolded for crap like this by mods? Don’t you learn from your mistakes? 

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

You are getting hysterical again.

First off, the Jets don’t save $4.8m by cutting Powell, so repeated hysterics over counting sunk costs makes you look silly (ok, sillier). The maximum they can clear is about $3.3m.

Second, there is no black & white choice of “keep Powell for the season at $5m or cut him now” since the odds of the Jets - or any team - paying Powell his current $3.8m salary are roughly zero anyway. Even if they do keep him it won’t at that amount, so the choice is a pay cut to ___ or cut him, not pay him $5m or cut him. 

Most importantly, anyone screaming about the wisdom of spending $18m/year on 1 FA RB and also using 2 draft picks on RBs this year, as well as >$28m/year on a FA QB and their #6 overall pick to draft yet another QB this year, is schooling absolutely nobody on NFL economics. 

To fill 2 starting positions, spend $50m/year on signing 2 FAs and use 3 of this year’s draft picks, including the #6 overall. That’s ****ing brilliant. 

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

First off, the Jets don’t save $4.8m by cutting Powell, so repeated hysterics over counting sunk costs makes you look silly (ok, sillier). The maximum they can clear is about $3.3m.

Second, there is no black & white choice of “keep Powell for the season at $5m or cut him now” since the odds of the Jets - or any team - paying Powell his current $3.8m salary are roughly zero anyway. Even if they do keep him it won’t at that amount, so the choice is a pay cut to ___ or cut him, not pay him $5m or cut him. 

Most importantly, anyone screaming about the wisdom of spending $18m/year on 1 FA RB and also using 2 draft picks on RBs this year, as well as >$28m/year on a FA QB and their #6 overall pick to draft yet another QB this year, is schooling absolutely nobody on NFL economics. 

To fill 2 starting positions, spend $50m/year on signing 2 FAs and using 3 of this year’s draft picks, including the #6 overall. That’s ****ing brilliant. 

Sperm! Always a treat!

- It’s $4 million saved, which I’ve already said. https://overthecap.com/player/bilal-powell/969 

Just like you to open up with something false! Next!

- Yes, I’ve already mentioned they can cut him now and sign him later for less. He’s the kind of guy that will sit in FA for a while, nobody is busting down their door to sign Bilal Powell. Cut him, go into FA with max cap space, sign him for less than $4.8 if you need to after the draft if not much later or never. This is pretty simple stuff Sperm, more or less common sense. They’re paying him the $880K in dead money whether you cut him now or later. The savings are more valuable before FA than after. Please try and keep up. Next!

Oops, looks like that was the end of your points. Seeing as you couldn’t even get those down right no point in taking an economics lesson from a guy this consistently sloppy and dishonest. MAYBE if you were an honest guy in our exchanges I’d take your hot econ tips, but it’s not so complicated to see that my numbers check out on signing Bell and Cousins and your cases against are paper thin. Better luck on the next go! 

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To fill 2 starting positions, spend $50m/year on signing 2 FAs and using 3 of this year’s draft picks, including the #6 overall. That’s ****ing brilliant. 

First, you’re not dealing with someone with a full deck. Second, see first.

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Sperm! Always a treat!

- It’s $4 million saved, which I’ve already said. https://overthecap.com/player/bilal-powell/969 

Just like you to open up with something false! Next!

- Yes, I’ve already mentioned they can cut him now and sign him later for less. He’s the kind of guy that will sit in FA for a while, nobody is busting down their door to sign Bilal Powell. Cut him, go into FA with max cap space, sign him for less than $4.8 if you need to after the draft if not much later or never. This is pretty simple stuff Sperm, more or less common sense. They’re paying him the $880K in dead money whether you cut him now or later. The savings are more valuable before FA than after. Please try and keep up. Next!

Oops, looks like that was the end of your points. Seeing as you couldn’t even get those down right no point in taking an economics lesson from a guy this consistently sloppy and dishonest. MAYBE if you were an honest guy in our exchanges I’d take your hot econ tips, but it’s not so complicated to see that my numbers check out on signing Bell and Cousins and your cases against are paper thin. Better luck on the next go! 

You don't know how to read those charts and don't know how the salary cap works. Don't get bitchy at me because of your own ignorance.

I guess in your imaginary world the Jets will be allowed to only count the top 50 salaries while everyone else has to count the top 51. 

8 hours ago, SenorGato said:

I’d say the mentality that paying above average salaries to below average players because the money is there is one of this franchise’s big two problems historically. 

I'd say over reactive fans and idiot print writers stirring up unnecessary bullsh*t are on the problem list as well.

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't know how to read and don't know how the salary cap works. Don't get bitchy at me because of your own ignorance.

I guess in your imaginary world the Jets will be allowed to only count the top 50 salaries while everyone else has to count the top 51. 

Casual lol...Poop, at least you’re starting to figure out that this is your best strategy since you’re in waaaaaay over your head on actual football stuff. Prolly in my imaginary world indeed, you get that Sperm! Preach to your choir! That’ll show me! 

Archived