A look back at the 2004 NFL draft.

Villain The Foe

Love these kind of videos. 

Crazy to think guys like Rosen could slide because he might speak his mind, yet Eli comes right out saying he doesn't want to play for a team and he still gets picked first. Wonder what the twitter reaction would have been back then and if it would have effected anything. 

I don't think this year is as dramatic, it's more just up in the air of who goes where. 

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Love these kind of videos. 

Crazy to think guys like Rosen could slide because he might speak his mind, yet Eli comes right out saying he doesn't want to play for a team and he still gets picked first. Wonder what the twitter reaction would have been back then and if it would have effected anything. 

I don't think this year is as dramatic, it's more just up in the air of who goes where. 

These are not the same situations. I don't think anyone really had a problem w/ Rosens comments on the Browns. Rosen speaks on issues that are very divisive.

Throughout his years in NY, you haven't heard a pep out of Eli. He never offers the media anything despite their constant peppering of him. 

I'm not sure there's a player who wields the power or carries as much weight as Eli did in that draft.  He was the clear cut #1.  Rivers and Roethlisberger were excellent prospects but Eli was considered head-and-shoulders above them.  QBs went 1, 4, and 11 that year.  They will likely go 1, 3 and 5 this year.  I don't think a prospect, say Sam Darnold, can or should try to force his way out of Cleveland to a place like New York at #2 or #3....but we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'm starting to get a quesy feeling that this class of QB's is over rated and being over drafted by unusually desperate teams 

Each guy has a legit serious flaw 

There is nothing unusual about the Jets desperation for a QB....we see it every year.

But everything else you said, I agree 100%.

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There is nothing unusual about the Jets desperation for a QB....we see it every year.

But everything else you said, I agree 100%.

The Browns and Jets seem determined to end decades of QB issues this year, no matter what. 

I am kind of getting the feeling that in 4 years we won't be arguing over which QB worked out, but how teams passed on Barkley and Nelson. 

Maybe it's my battered Jets fan syndrome, maybe it's because we have been analyzing the crap out of this for weeks. 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I'm starting to get a quesy feeling that this class of QB's is over rated and being over drafted by unusually desperate teams 

It’ll definitely make for a good look back in 10 years if guys like Darnold flop and Allen makes it. Or Jackson and Rudolph become the best. Or if they all make it or all suck. There will definitely be good stories to tell. 

13 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It’ll definitely make for a good look back in 10 years if guys like Darnold flop and Allen makes it. Or Jackson and Rudolph become the best. Or if they all make it or all suck. There will definitely be good stories to tell. 

Hey you left out Lauletta. lol

That draft yielded us Vilma, Cotchery, and Coleman. Also gave us Adrian Jones. Ward was a good productive RB that the Giants swiped from our PS. That was a good draft overall. I thought CB Derrick Strait (Nagurski AND Thorpe Winner, All-American) was the STEAL in the 3rd round, but he flamed out quick. 

2004 was a good draft and Playoff run. Oh, Doug Brien!

16 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I gotta be honest Rudolph makes me nervous, lol

If he goes to a good franchise where he can sit for a year or two he could be as successful as the guys rushed into playing right away. 

At the end of the day, it's entertainment, and the first 45 minutes of the draft will be don't blink, don't breathe amazing drama 

We're due for a break, right? 

13 hours ago, Larz said:

I feel the same way. Teams are so desperate for a qb that they are inflating the “value” of where these prospects deserve to be picked. 

Hoping I am completely wrong though 

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

That draft yielded us Vilma, Cotchery, and Coleman. Also gave us Adrian Jones. Ward was a good productive RB that the Giants swiped from our PS. That was a good draft overall. I thought CB Derrick Strait (Nagurski AND Thorpe Winner, All-American) was the STEAL in the 3rd round, but he flamed out quick. 

2004 was a good draft and Playoff run. Oh, Doug Brien!

Same here.  I remember PRAYING that he would fall to us in the 3rd, and I was absolutely giddy when he did.  I thought he was going to become the best nickel CB in the league at an absolute minimum. And then he did nothing at all, and fell out of the league within a couple of years.

46 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I feel the same way. Teams are so desperate for a qb that they are inflating the “value” of where these prospects deserve to be picked. 

Hoping I am completely wrong though 

The people who are inflating the value of QBs are the same ones on this board who say "I dont care how good jamal adams is/will be, safety isnt a premium position."  So which is it exactly?

I personally agree that had we gotten cousins, we would be sitting very pretty in this draft.  We would have 2 second round picks and likely be able to plug Quentin Nelson into our line, and have a truly elite offensive lineman from day 1.  But we missed on cousins, need a QB and now need to roll the dice on Rosen or Mayfield, which is also fine.

21 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Hey you left out Lauletta. lol

If Lauletta ends up being great and we don't end up with him (which I can't see how we will end up with him) I'll be seriously PO'd.  Everything you read about the guy seems overwhelmingly positive.  One of the more recent posts about the QB class (one where I think someone commented "holy Lauletta!") mentioned that Lauletta completely absorbs the playbook.  He's also known for his accuracy and great character.  And from the videos of him that I've watched, he looks like he's great at play action, throws very well on the run, has a strong arm and looks like a big strong kid.  

EDIT: even if we somehow end up with Sam Darnold but the Pats end up with Lauletta, it will ruin the draft for me.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Lauletta ends up being great and we don't end up with him (which I can't see how we will end up with him) I'll be seriously PO'd.  Everything you read about the guy seems overwhelmingly positive.  One of the more recent posts about the QB class (one where I think someone commented "holy Lauletta!") mentioned that Lauletta completely absorbs the playbook.  He's also known for his accuracy and great character.  And from the videos of him that I've watched, he looks like he's great at play action, throws very well on the run, has a strong arm and looks like a big strong kid.  

The only knock on him is that he doesn't have the strongest arm and for now he can't make all the NFL throws.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

The only knock on him is that he doesn't have the strongest arm and for now he can't make all the NFL throws.

Arm strength is the knock on him?!  I don't buy it.  I've watched the videos and his arm looks strong (and definitely stronger than Rosen's arm).  It has to be something about playing at a small school (weak competition) or something like that.  Maybe he doesn't have to do a lot of reads but supposedly he absorbs the playbook (I forget the word that was used but it was a huge compliment to him) so that doesn't sound right to me either.  His footwork (that I see on his videos) is also excellent.  I just don't understand this one at all.  It will be very interesting to see where he gets drafted.  I remember Mahomes shot up draft boards.  I wonder if Lauletta will as well.  And if not us then please not the Pats (nor the Dolphins!  Nor the Bills).  

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Arm strength is the knock on him?!  I don't buy it.  I've watched the videos and his arm looks strong (and definitely stronger than Rosen's arm).  It has to be something about playing at a small school (weak competition) or something like that.  Maybe he doesn't have to do a lot of reads but supposedly he absorbs the playbook (I forget the word that was used but it was a huge compliment to him) so that doesn't sound right to me either.  His footwork (that I see on his videos) is also excellent.  I just don't understand this one at all.  It will be very interesting to see where he gets drafted.  I remember Mahomes shot up draft boards.  I wonder if Lauletta will as well.  And if not us then please not the Pats (nor the Dolphins!  Nor the Bills).  

Both the Pats and the Bills are possible since they have multiple choices in some early rounds.

Archived