Jets QB Josh McCown has enduring quality

Gas2No99

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We are discussing Josh McCown mentoring Sam Darnold 1-1 here I thought. Not comparing coaches who were players and failed. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I still stand by what I said I don't think and NFL loser QB with a lifetime record of 23-50 is a good mentor for our future franchise rookie QB. 

Carry on. 

Because you think he'll teach Sam his losing ways, since that's all he's done? That's my point with Pederson. Did he teach Wentz/Foles his losing ways, since that's all he did as a player? Don't be afraid, it's okay. He's not gonna whisper in his ear to take a sack or anything. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, slats said:

Even after paying McCown $10M, the Jets still have a boatload of cap room. Signing him had zero effect on their ability to bring in other free agents. 

No amount of whining about it (although we all appreciate your efforts in that regard) is going to negate the fact that the guy’s an asset, overpaid or not. 

An asset how so? Who's whining I'm defending my opinion of a 23-50 NFL starting QB who's been with 10 teams. 

HIs mentoring obviously failed Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. 

I hope to hell you guys are right, praying,hoping,wishing for success here at the QB position from Sam Darnold. 

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Because you think he'll teach Sam his losing ways, since that's all he's done? That's my point with Pederson. Did he teach Wentz/Foles his losing ways, since that's all he did as a player? Don't be afraid, it's okay. He's not gonna whisper in his ear to take a sack or anything. 

His techniques and skills = losing 23-50 is losing. 

Cleveland had to draft another QB after McCown mentored Kizer. 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

McCown mentored a rookie QB on another team? I had no idea. Impressive. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

If Darnold is still on the bench in week 11, something has gone terribly wrong and someone should need to be fired. If Sam sits the entire year because for some reason Bowles thinks McCown gives him the best chance to win, then it should be Bowles. 

It's not about short term goals this year. It's about developing the new franchise QB and getting him up to speed ASAP and putting a championship roster around him while he's still on his rookie deal. Sitting him for the year just stunts his development. He has to get on the field, sooner rather than later. 

That’s the impatient jet fan talking. I know it’s hard, NY jets haven’t had a real qb since Broadway Joe. Farve was Doing great until he tore his bicep. Sanchez flashed it but was brief and was carried by 2 great teams. 

We picked the youngest qb, Who had the fewest starts out of the 4. But he was also the best. If this was 09 and we needed a win this yr team, maybe they pick Rosen. But they picked the best guy. 

We have no idea what the process will be with Sam. The coaches don’t even really know yet. I know it’s easy to say “ just throw him in there and let him learn.” It doesn’t work that way. We can cripple his potential by doing that. He should be here for 15 years, there is no reason to potentially cripple his potential by rushing him into a situation where we were just 1 of the worst teams in the nfl.

We are not the experts, I just hope the coaching staff knows what they are doing with same and do not buckle to fan pressure. 

The Johnsons are not Going to fire Bowles and even Mac for not rushing Sam lol. If they fire Bowles, they will do so because they may realize a HC who only cares about D maybe isn’t the best for Sam to begin his hopefully very long Jet career. If McCown is getting knocked around a ton, they sure as sh*t don’t want them putting in darnold. They will fire Mac for neglecting the OL and O for all these yrs. Bowles and Bates will go too. They may want a offensive minded staff to come in before Sam takes the field. I have doubts this one is capable of protecting, supporting, and teaching the biggest investment the Jets have ever had in their history.

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lol. Dude the browns are a joke. I’m so glad they are still, and took mayfield and gave us darnold ha. Even Tom Brady couldn’t have saved them all these yrs. So blaming it all on McCown is not a good argument. He had great stats last yr for jets last yr. That can’t be denied. I wish he was as bad as some of his browns yrs, we could have gotten darnold and kept all 3 of our 2nds.

We all know you have as much hate and disdain for Josh McCown as I did mark Sanchez ha. But let’s support our starting qb ;)

41 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

You could also check out Doug Peterson's career as a player. Please, show me his winning stats and winning record as a starter. By JoeWilly's standards he's a loser and should've never became a good coach. 

Jason Garrett also was a career jag. Is he the longest tenured HC besides B.B.? He was a great OC many said. He deserves cred for lasting with that crazy owner.. The backup qbs prep like coaches. It’s part of their job. So of course Josh McCown is a better coach than say  Eli Manning

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

That’s the impatient jet fan talking. I know it’s hard, NY jets haven’t had a real qb since Broadway Joe. Farve was Doing great until he tore his bicep. Sanchez flashed it but was brief and was carried by 2 great teams. 

We picked the youngest qb, Who had the fewest starts out of the 4. But he was also the best. If this was 09 and we needed a win this yr team, maybe they pick Rosen. But they picked the best guy. 

We have no idea what the process will be with Sam. The coaches don’t even really know yet. I know it’s easy to say “ just throw him in there and let him learn.” It doesn’t work that way. We can cripple his potential by doing that. He should be here for 15 years, there is no reason to potentially cripple his potential by rushing him into a situation where we were just 1 of the worst teams in the nfl.

We are not the experts, I just hope the coaching staff knows what they are doing with same and do not buckle to fan pressure. 

The Johnsons are not Going to fire Bowles and even Mac for not rushing Sam lol. If they fire Bowles, they will do so because they may realize a HC who only cares about D maybe isn’t the best for Sam to begin his hopefully very long Jet career. If McCown is getting knocked around a ton, they sure as sh*t don’t want them putting in darnold. They will fire Mac for neglecting the OL and O for all these yrs. Bowles and Bates will go too. They may want a offensive minded staff to come in before Sam takes the field. I have doubts this one is capable of protecting, supporting, and teaching the biggest investment the Jets have ever had in their history.

It has nothing to do with impatience. It has everything to do with the realities of QB salaries and the NFL salary cap. If Darnold is indeed the guy, his -and the Jets’- best chance for a title will be while he’s under his rookie deal. That means the team needs him reaching his potential sooner rather than later. He’s not going to do that spending his rookie season on the bench. He needs to play, and he needs to play sooner rather than later. If Bowles fails to get him in the lineup, he’ll be failing at developing Sam, and that should be a fireable offense. 

I’ll be both surprised and disappointed if Sam isn’t starting by the midpoint of the season. 

24 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is starting Day 1. Listen to the hype coming from the Jets and the things that the staff are saying.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He is starting Day 1. Listen to the hype coming from the Jets and the things that the staff are saying.

Ok. Hey if he is ready and some joe learned a ton I’m all for it. But just make sure you come back here and eat your crow if you are wrong Mr 100%?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't think and NFL loser QB with a lifetime record of 23-50 is a good mentor for our future franchise rookie QB. 

49 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who's whining I'm defending my opinion of a 23-50 NFL starting QB who's been with 10 teams. 

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Repeating the same thing over and over again does not make it any more valid. It does, however, become more vapid, if that’s what you’re going for. 

The league is littered with great coaches who were mediocre (or worse) players, and great, winning players who were terrible coaches. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. McCown is certainly capable of understanding what needs to be done on the field while simultaneously not being able to do it physically. As they say; those who can’t, teach. 

McCown brings a ton of experience and knowledge into the Jets QB room, and I can guarantee you that both Darnold and Bridgewater are thrilled to have him available to them. And, unlike Fitzpatrick, he’s more than happy to pass the baton when the time comes. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

It has nothing to do with impatience. It has everything to do with the realities of QB salaries and the NFL salary cap. If Darnold is indeed the guy, his -and the Jets’- best chance for a title will be while he’s under his rookie deal. That means the team needs him reaching his potential sooner rather than later. He’s not going to do that spending his rookie season on the bench. He needs to play, and he needs to play sooner rather than later. If Bowles fails to get him in the lineup, he’ll be failing at developing Sam, and that should be a fireable offense. 

I’ll be both surprised and disappointed if Sam isn’t starting by the midpoint of the season. 

100%. But he is not a 2nd round pick like jimmy G. We will pick up the 5th yr. So I don’t see that argument being valid, as much as it is as an excuse. Yes if he is not starting by yr 3 I see your point lol. 

I think the only thing we can agree on here is we want Sam to be great. Whenever that is... We want the best staff to help him be great. Whoever that is.. Let’s hope the brass makes ALL ( or most ) the right decisions with this kid? I can’t wait for 2019 actually when hopefully we have a competing team for once in MANY years.

How is Josh McCown still a starting quarterback in the NFL?

McCown's 18 career wins are apparently still enticing for some.

DD6ErrNUAAAD86F.jpg
NFLBy Adam Patrick on 
Shares
FacebookTwitterEmailWhatsApp

Fifteeen years after the 2002 NFL Draft, just two players from that class are still preparing to play in the upcoming 2017 football season.

One is future Hall of Fame defensive end Julius Peppers, who is back with the Carolina Panthers (the team that drafted him in 2002) after spending the last three seasons with the Green Bay Packers. The other remaining member of the 2002 draft class is a quarterback by the name of Josh McCown.

At 38 years old, McCown will be playing for the New York Jets this season, the eighth team of his professional football career. Not only is McCown still on an actual NFL roster in 2017, the Jets have even named him as their starter for their upcoming Week 1 match-up against the Buffalo Bills.

DHFJWM6WsAAW2pc.jpg
(Photo Source: Twitter)

With just 18 career wins during his 14 seasons in the league, how does McCown continue to land starting jobs in the NFL? Are teams desperate or is McCown just smart when it comes to the teams he signs with?

The quarterback has never led a franchise to the playoffs and he has started nine games or less in all but two of his 14 NFL seasons. Among his single-season career-highs are 2,511 passing yards, 13 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.

Yet the Jets saw enough from McCown this offseason to make him their starting quarterback. They opted to go with the continuously unsuccessful veteran signal-caller, rather than one who stands up for basic human rights and donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to various charities across the United States. (This guy also had a 90.7 QB rating in 2016.)

josh-mccown-of-the-chicago-bears-passes-
(Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

If not for McCown’s performance during a four-game stretch with the Chicago Bears in 2013, his career may already be over. From Week 10 to 13 in the 2013 season, McCown led the Bears to a 2-2 record while completing 70 percent of this passes for 1,271 yards, nine touchdowns, and just one interception.

His play during that string of games led to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signing the quarterback to a two-year, $10 million deal.

But McCown could not even last in Tampa Bay for the entire length of his short contract. He won just one game in 11 starts for the Buccaneers and the team decided to release him during the 2015 offseason.

jason-pierrepaul-of-the-new-york-giants-
(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Despite his performance with Tampa Bay, McCown was still able to land a three-year contract (three years!?) with the lowly Cleveland Browns just weeks after the Buccaneers let him go. In his two seasons with the Browns, the quarterback managed to lead the team to one win in his 11 starts. Put another way, in his last 22 starts as an NFL quarterback, McCown’s team has been on the losing end 20 times.

Why do teams keep wasting their money on this guy? He has proven time and time again that he is not capable of leading an offense to any type of success, yet here we are and McCown is still a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Perhaps it has to do with the types of teams that end up signing him? Look at the last three teams that have given McCown actual American money.

In 2014, Tampa Bay had a new head coach in Lovie Smith and they were coming off of a 4-12 season. Their other option at quarterback was Mike Glennon (let’s not get started on this guy). so McCown basically seemed like the second coming of Joe Montana to them.

497265652.jpg

When Cleveland added him to their roster in 2015, they had just finished their 12th straight year without a trip to the playoffs and were desperate to find another quarterback not named Johnny Manziel.

That brings us to McCown’s arrival in New York. The Jets finished 5-11 in 2016 and a quarterback group featuring Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg would leave any team scrambling for someone with working eyes and limbs.

From his last three NFL contracts, one could make the assumption that McCown has been able to keep his career going by joining the team with the absolute worst quarterback situation in the league at the time.

If that is actually the case, good for Josh McCown. He has successfully found a way to extend a completely unimpressive career in the NFL and make over $30 million doing so.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How is Josh McCown still a starting quarterback in the NFL?

McCown's 18 career wins are apparently still enticing for some.

DD6ErrNUAAAD86F.jpg
NFLBy Adam Patrick on 
Shares
FacebookTwitterEmailWhatsApp

Fifteeen years after the 2002 NFL Draft, just two players from that class are still preparing to play in the upcoming 2017 football season.

One is future Hall of Fame defensive end Julius Peppers, who is back with the Carolina Panthers (the team that drafted him in 2002) after spending the last three seasons with the Green Bay Packers. The other remaining member of the 2002 draft class is a quarterback by the name of Josh McCown.

At 38 years old, McCown will be playing for the New York Jets this season, the eighth team of his professional football career. Not only is McCown still on an actual NFL roster in 2017, the Jets have even named him as their starter for their upcoming Week 1 match-up against the Buffalo Bills.

DHFJWM6WsAAW2pc.jpg
(Photo Source: Twitter)

With just 18 career wins during his 14 seasons in the league, how does McCown continue to land starting jobs in the NFL? Are teams desperate or is McCown just smart when it comes to the teams he signs with?

The quarterback has never led a franchise to the playoffs and he has started nine games or less in all but two of his 14 NFL seasons. Among his single-season career-highs are 2,511 passing yards, 13 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.

Yet the Jets saw enough from McCown this offseason to make him their starting quarterback. They opted to go with the continuously unsuccessful veteran signal-caller, rather than one who stands up for basic human rights and donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to various charities across the United States. (This guy also had a 90.7 QB rating in 2016.)

josh-mccown-of-the-chicago-bears-passes-
(Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

If not for McCown’s performance during a four-game stretch with the Chicago Bears in 2013, his career may already be over. From Week 10 to 13 in the 2013 season, McCown led the Bears to a 2-2 record while completing 70 percent of this passes for 1,271 yards, nine touchdowns, and just one interception.

His play during that string of games led to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signing the quarterback to a two-year, $10 million deal.

But McCown could not even last in Tampa Bay for the entire length of his short contract. He won just one game in 11 starts for the Buccaneers and the team decided to release him during the 2015 offseason.

jason-pierrepaul-of-the-new-york-giants-
(Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Despite his performance with Tampa Bay, McCown was still able to land a three-year contract (three years!?) with the lowly Cleveland Browns just weeks after the Buccaneers let him go. In his two seasons with the Browns, the quarterback managed to lead the team to one win in his 11 starts. Put another way, in his last 22 starts as an NFL quarterback, McCown’s team has been on the losing end 20 times.

Why do teams keep wasting their money on this guy? He has proven time and time again that he is not capable of leading an offense to any type of success, yet here we are and McCown is still a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Perhaps it has to do with the types of teams that end up signing him? Look at the last three teams that have given McCown actual American money.

In 2014, Tampa Bay had a new head coach in Lovie Smith and they were coming off of a 4-12 season. Their other option at quarterback was Mike Glennon (let’s not get started on this guy). so McCown basically seemed like the second coming of Joe Montana to them.

497265652.jpg

When Cleveland added him to their roster in 2015, they had just finished their 12th straight year without a trip to the playoffs and were desperate to find another quarterback not named Johnny Manziel.

That brings us to McCown’s arrival in New York. The Jets finished 5-11 in 2016 and a quarterback group featuring Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg would leave any team scrambling for someone with working eyes and limbs.

From his last three NFL contracts, one could make the assumption that McCown has been able to keep his career going by joining the team with the absolute worst quarterback situation in the league at the time.

If that is actually the case, good for Josh McCown. He has successfully found a way to extend a completely unimpressive career in the NFL and make over $30 million doing so.

He was a top 15 qb in stats before got hurt. Not too shabby for one of the worst teams in the nfl lol

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Jason Garrett also was a career jag. Is he the longest tenured HC besides B.B.? He was a great OC many said. He deserves cred for lasting with that crazy owner.. The backup qbs prep like coaches. It’s part of their job. So of course Josh McCown is a better coach than say  Eli Manning

By Nihal Kolur
May 18, 2018

Former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens spared no expense when talking about coach Jason Garrett in an interview with 105.3 The Fan on Wednesday.

"When you really look at it, it doesn't make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job," Owens said. "They are not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there."

"At the end at the day, how can you keep allowing the players to be the scapegoat for what's not happening, especially when you have a head coach that's supposed to be offensive-minded?" Owens said. "They're supposed to direct and lead the team to where it hasn't gotten in a number of years, and they've pretty much been in a standstill under coach Jason Garrett."

Garrett has been the head coach of the Cowboys since 2010, but boasts just two playoff appearances. 

Although Owens never played directly under Garrett, the current coach served as the team's offensive coordinator from 2007-2008, the final two seasons of T.O.'s Dallas career. Owens even called out Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a known friend, for not making the decision to fire Garrett.

"For me, it's mind-boggling. I don't understand," Owens said. "And I think Jerry -- again, he's the owner at the end of the day, he has to feel good with himself about the decisions -- but I just don't understand why this guy [Garrett] still has a job."

Garrett has a 68-55 record since midway through the 2010 season (when he took over the job) and is the second winningest coach in franchise history behind Tom Landry.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

My opinion has factual merit Josh McCown is 23-50 as an NFL starter that equates a loser and yet you want him mentoring our rookie future franchise QB. 

How did Josh McCown's mentoring do with DeShone Kizer? 

Cleveland Browns: Josh McCown ready for more mentoring

Kizer was a rookie last season, when McCown was on the Jets. Their careers never crossed paths. 

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:
By Nihal Kolur
May 18, 2018

Former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens spared no expense when talking about coach Jason Garrett in an interview with 105.3 The Fan on Wednesday.

"When you really look at it, it doesn't make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job," Owens said. "They are not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there."

"At the end at the day, how can you keep allowing the players to be the scapegoat for what's not happening, especially when you have a head coach that's supposed to be offensive-minded?" Owens said. "They're supposed to direct and lead the team to where it hasn't gotten in a number of years, and they've pretty much been in a standstill under coach Jason Garrett."

Garrett has been the head coach of the Cowboys since 2010, but boasts just two playoff appearances. 

Although Owens never played directly under Garrett, the current coach served as the team's offensive coordinator from 2007-2008, the final two seasons of T.O.'s Dallas career. Owens even called out Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a known friend, for not making the decision to fire Garrett.

"For me, it's mind-boggling. I don't understand," Owens said. "And I think Jerry -- again, he's the owner at the end of the day, he has to feel good with himself about the decisions -- but I just don't understand why this guy [Garrett] still has a job."

Garrett has a 68-55 record since midway through the 2010 season (when he took over the job) and is the second winningest coach in franchise history behind Tom Landry.

You are going to counter that argument from quotes from 1 of the biggest dirtbags ever to play the game ??

17 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

You are going to counter that argument from quotes from 1 of the biggest dirtbags ever to play the game ??

I'm not countering or supporting any argument. Just putting it out there from another point of view.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I'm not countering or supporting any argument. Just putting it out there from another point of view.

Oh ok lol. Hey I don’t think he is a great coach. But there is really on 1 great coach in the nfl yr in year out , and he is a known cheater.

Garrett father was a long time scout for the cowboys. Garrett and his like 10 brothers grew up football. Right in Monmouth county NJ. I can’t think of a good current coach in nfl who was a very good player. I’m sure I’m not thinking of 1 of 2, but for the large majority it’s the jags who become coaches. 

26 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Oh ok lol. Hey I don’t think he is a great coach. But there is really on 1 great coach in the nfl yr in year out , and he is a known cheater.

Garrett father was a long time scout for the cowboys. Garrett and his like 10 brothers grew up football. Right in Monmouth county NJ. I can’t think of a good current coach in nfl who was a very good player. I’m sure I’m not thinking of 1 of 2, but for the large majority it’s the jags who become coaches. 

hence the famous line from Bernard Shaw's play Man and Superman, "He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."  proven false in many situations but football seems better suited, knowing the game and executing the game are different skillsets 

I did not like the McCown deal when it was signed first but agree he can help Darnold

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes Ryan Fitzpatrick says hello. What did you do with his jersey hopefully a scarecrow or a car oil rag. 

now you're changing the topic to Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Huh?  You are all over the place and posting like a scatter-brained doofus.  When did Ryan Fitzpatrick become a part of a debate on whether or not Josh McCown is a good choice to mentor Darnold?  Why are you even bringing Fitzpatrick up at all?  Oh... to deflect from your nonsensical argument.  I see.  Also, why would you think I have a Fitzpatrick Jersey?  Are you out of your mind?  What does *that* have to do with anything about whether Mccown is a good mentor for Darnold?  (FYI: I was staunchly opposed to the re-signing of Fitzpatrick when Mac did it, so yuou are just way off, as usual.)  

But none of that is relevant to the conversation.  You keep changing topics.  The topic is: Is Josh McCown a good mentor for Darnold?  You think his win-loss record proves he isn't.  And that, JoeWillie, is nonsensical because there is no correlation, let alone causal relationship between winning as a player on the field and becoming a good mentor/teacher/coach.    Give it up.  I hate to be blunt, but your argument is just stupid with a capital "S".

5 hours ago, slats said:

That would be my timetable. 

IMHO, Sam is designed to play behind a less than stellar line. He's big, strong, and durable, and has demonstrated an ability to improvise and make throws on the move. But the Jets have a new offensive coordinator, a new zone blocking scheme, and a new center. No reason not to give them a few weeks to work the bugs out. 

And the three games in 11 days thing is beyond just throwing him into the fire. Week five starts a three game homestand. That's the perfect time to start Darnold. Not only for his own development but to make sure the stadium is full of Jet fans for those three games. 

All of this in bold? This is a really compelling argument to start Josh McCown and not start Sammy D to begin the season. So compelling that, unless he really is THAT DUDE super early on, I really don't want to see Darnold until week 4 or later now.

Its really those two short weeks that's got me nervous. Because that's a lot to cope with in that short an amount of time. I suppose they can let him grin and bare it but why not have Uncle Josh put out the fires a bit first?

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ok. Hey if he is ready and some joe learned a ton I’m all for it. But just make sure you come back here and eat your crow if you are wrong Mr 100%?

I am just listening to the GM and coaches and the Jets marketing and it is 100% different than last year and unless he truly falls on his face I just cannot see him NOT being the starter Day 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

now you're changing the topic to Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Huh?  You are all over the place and posting like a scatter-brained doofus.  When did Ryan Fitzpatrick become a part of a debate on whether or not Josh McCown is a good choice to mentor Darnold?  Why are you even bringing Fitzpatrick up at all?  Oh... to deflect from your nonsensical argument.  I see.  Also, why would you think I have a Fitzpatrick Jersey?  Are you out of your mind?  What does *that* have to do with anything about whether Mccown is a good mentor for Darnold?  (FYI: I was staunchly opposed to the re-signing of Fitzpatrick when Mac did it, so yuou are just way off, as usual.)  

But none of that is relevant to the conversation.  You keep changing topics.  The topic is: Is Josh McCown a good mentor for Darnold?  You think his win-loss record proves he isn't.  And that, JoeWillie, is nonsensical because there is no correlation, let alone causal relationship between winning as a player on the field and becoming a good mentor/teacher/coach.    Give it up.  I hate to be blunt, but your argument is just stupid with a capital "S".

Ryan Fitzpatrick was supposed to be a mentor don't you remember? Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg were supposed to be mentored.  Ha name calling ok I knew it was coming because I disagree with what you are saying. 

Josh McCown good dude class act but an NFL loser. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was supposed to be a mentor don't you remember? Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg was supposed to be mentored.  Ha name calling ok I knew it was coming because I disagree with what you are saying. 

Josh McCown good dude class act but an NFL loser. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was never touted as a "mentor" by anyone on the Jets.  He wasn't even in camp until the summer.  He wasn't signed until July 27th, or have you forgotten that?  Remember the stand-off on the contract?  He wasn't there to mentor anybody. How can you be a mentor when you are not there for training camp?  And even if what you say about Fitz is true (and it's not), how does anyone mentor talentless bums like Hack?  It's impossible.  The finest coaches on Earth wouldn't be able to fix Hack's innacuracy.  There's no mentoring for that.  Thi is why I didn't want Josh Allen.  I guess the Bills will learn the hard way. Anyway, Fitzpatrick is 100% irrelevant to this discussion, which is about McCown, not Fitzpatrick.  You love to deflect, don't you?  Sure mark of a bad argument when you conjur up pointless attempts at bad analogies.  

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was never touted as a"mentor" by anyone on the Jets.  He wasn't even in camp until the summer.  He wasn't signed.  How can you be a mentor when you are not there for training camp?  And even if what yousay about Fitz is true (and it's not), how does anyone mentor talentless bums like Hack?  It's impossible.  The finest coaches on Earth wouldn't be able to fix Hack's innacuracy.  There's no mentoring for that.  Thi is why I didn't want Josh Allen.  I guess the Bills will learn the hard way. Anyway, Fitzpatrick is 100% irrelevant to this discussion, which is about McCown, not Fitzpatrick.  You love to deflect, don't you?  Sure mark of a bad argument when you conjur up pointless attempts at bad analogies.  

So Mike Maccagnan signed loser journeyman QB's to lead this team and not mentor Petty and Hackenberg. We have bigger issues then with our GM. 

Josh McCown LOL a Browns castoff the worst team in the NFL and we are still discussing this.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

So Mike Maccagnan signed loser journeyman QB's to lead this team and not mentor Petty and Hackenberg. We have bigger issues then with our GM. 

Josh McCown LOL a Browns castoff the worst team in the NFL and we are still discussing this.

because McCown is a fine choice to mentor Darnold.  Your attempt to analogize to Fitzpatrick is laughable because it's just not true.  You are making sh*t up now.  Fitzpatrick wasn't even there until the end of July.  Sorry, but mentors have to be present from the outset.  So you are wrong again.  As usual.  

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

because McCown is a fine choice to mentor Darnold.  Your attempt to analogize to Fitzpatrick is laughable because it's just not true.  You are making sh*t up now.  Fitzpatrick wasn't even there until the end of July.  Sorry, but mentors have to be present from the outset.  So you are wrong again.  As usual.  

Josh McCown was part of this team before Sam Darnold......Bryce Petty sucked he is no longer with this team and Christian Hackenberg is yet to see the field in a regular season NFL game. Your point. 

Did Josh McCown FAIL with Petty and Hackenberg? 

I don't buy into these journeyman has been that never was QB's doing anything positive for the NY Jets. 

As usual you are here to argue. 

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was never touted as a "mentor" by anyone on the Jets.  He wasn't even in camp until the summer.  He wasn't signed until July 27th, or have you forgotten that?  Remember the stand-off on the contract?  He wasn't there to mentor anybody. How can you be a mentor when you are not there for training camp?  And even if what you say about Fitz is true (and it's not), how does anyone mentor talentless bums like Hack?  It's impossible.  The finest coaches on Earth wouldn't be able to fix Hack's innacuracy.  There's no mentoring for that.  Thi is why I didn't want Josh Allen.  I guess the Bills will learn the hard way. Anyway, Fitzpatrick is 100% irrelevant to this discussion, which is about McCown, not Fitzpatrick.  You love to deflect, don't you?  Sure mark of a bad argument when you conjur up pointless attempts at bad analogies.  

A philosophical question: Does anyone every win an internet debate?

Bringing up Fitzpatrick should actually demonstrate McCown's value even further. Fitz was fine when he was on a roll and all but when the chips were down he was never a part of the solution, in fact he just exacerbated the problem with his attitude.

McCown meanwhile has only been a net positive for locker room morale, he knows his role, he knows he's a means to end and accepts and embraces that fact. He uses his journeyman experiences to help provide perspective to those around him, whether that means how he prepares for a game or how he or somebody he's worked with adapted to a new offensive concept. He's well liked and respected, he's a leader, and although he's inconsistent on the field the team is not made worse by his mere presence here. To the contrary I think he was probably one of the bigger reason why the Jets "overachieved" last year.

And yeah, speaking of his on filed play, we all saw how he was last year, physically limited but good for a big play here or there and is more than able to execute a gameplan assuming the other cogs are working. Isn't that what you look for in a backup or bridge starter?

He's the exact right person to be in the QB room with Darnold, and even Hack and Teddy. Who better to do this job and fill the gaps than Uncle Josh?

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I am just listening to the GM and coaches and the Jets marketing and it is 100% different than last year and unless he truly falls on his face I just cannot see him NOT being the starter Day 1

Lol?.. Come on bro. You are doing MUCH more than that ?.. Most of us read Darnold has at best a 50-50 chance at starting right away. You are allowing yourself to read “ 100” which is certifiably nuts ?.., But hey man, I like .  Just be prepared to eat a load of shhhit if that doesn’t happen lol. Every single day you will eat Shiittt??

4 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Bringing up Fitzpatrick should actually demonstrate McCown's value even further. Fitz was fine when he was on a roll and all but when the chips were down he was never a part of the solution, in fact he just exacerbated the problem with his attitude.

McCown meanwhile has only been a net positive for locker room morale, he knows his role, he knows he's a means to end and accepts and embraces that fact. He uses his journeyman experiences to help provide perspective to those around him, whether that means how he prepares for a game or how he or somebody he's worked with adapted to a new offensive concept. He's well liked and respected, he's a leader, and although he's inconsistent on the field the team is not made worse by his mere presence here. To the contrary I think he was probably one of the bigger reason why the Jets "overachieved" last year.

And yeah, speaking of his on filed play, we all saw how he was last year, physically limited but good for a big play here or there and is more than able to execute a gameplan assuming the other cogs are working. Isn't that what you look for in a backup or bridge starter?

He's the exact right person to be in the QB room with Darnold, and even Hack and Teddy. Who better to do this job and fill the gaps than Uncle Josh?

Good points. Fitzpatrick had Brandon Marshall re- living his glory days 1 more yr, Eric Decker best #2 in nfl, and then other weapons. His line was much better..McCown signed imediately after jets gave him an offer. The loser Fitzpatrick pretended there was actually another team in nfl who wanted him to start, and embarrassed himself all summer holding out

Archived