Bourdain, R.I.P.

T0mShane

This one sucks. This is probably the guy who taught me more about what the world is actually like than anyone or anything else. I’m a huge pussy about travel and would never go to 98% of the places he went to, but he did it with balls and an empathy and a genuine sense of discovery that made his show and writings incredible. Some celebrities die and it blows, but it’s like, eh. But this is one of those that you really feel the void.

I think the most difficult part of travelling is getting on the plane. You're giving a lot of credibility to something you're not operating yourself. Other than that seeing other countries is really cool. 

I watched an interview not so long ago about him dealing with his depression while he was a frustrated chef. It's crazy to think he was on the verge back then! It's really sad he couldn't change the ultimate outcome; especially since he leaves behind a 10 or 11 year old kid.

1 minute ago, GATA said:

I think the most difficult part of travelling is getting on the plane. You're giving a lot of credibility to something you're not operating yourself. Other than that seeing other countries is really cool. 

I watched an interview not so long ago about him dealing with his depression while he was a frustrated chef. It's crazy to think he was on the verge back then! It's really sad he couldn't change the ultimate outcome; especially since he leaves behind a 10 or 11 year old kid.

Where's Vulcan Cat ?

As a young guy from NYC in the food industry with a strong interest in travel, this one hits hard. He was a role model for me. His sense of adventure, his wit, his storytelling and eloquence, his open mind. Of all the famous people in the city, Bourdain was always the guy I had hoped to serve one day more than anyone else. 

This is the first celebrity death that has moved me to tears. Rest in Peace, Tony. I hope the demons are quiet now. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This one sucks. This is probably the guy who taught me more about what the world is actually like than anyone or anything else. I’m a huge pussy about travel and would never go to 98% of the places he went to, but he did it with balls and an empathy and a genuine sense of discovery that made his show and writings incredible. Some celebrities die and it blows, but it’s like, eh. But this is one of those that you really feel the void.

Not a fan, at all. But I feel for any kid that loses his dad and I've lost someone very close to me to suicide.....just an awful, ugly and helpless situation.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yup. I also loved that he embodied the aesthetics of the CBGB era in New York for us old punk rockers. Mental health in this country is in a really a sad state.

How could u not like  the  guy? 

I am here in my summer home in croatia. He did an episode in croatia  where he went to a tuna farm in the adriatic, for drunk and loves it. I am lookimg out  my window right now and have a view of this farm, even   though its dark. 

The bourdaine thing is all people, no matter where, despite politics, only really  want to provide for their families, have some fun drunky time and enjoy life

RIP

My son and I on more than one occasion while knocking down a few and getting philosophical have discussed what people, past or present, we would enjoy hangin with, pulling an all nighter, getting a bit lit up and having them in an open and unguarded conversation. Bourdain was alway at or near the top of a short list.  We would come away from the convo agreeing rogues are much deeper and seriously more interesting humans and that academics are a snoozefest. So sad to see this man gone.

Archived