July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Fouts or Bart Starr.

Couldn't. For my QB, I wanted one that I got to watch play with my own eyes. I never got to see either of the two you mentioned.

Elway, Marino, Montana, Young, Favre, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Kurt, Big Ben...they were all taken. The only guy I would have considered taking without having seen play was Namath.

Also, I wanted a mobile guy who could create on the move. So Rich Gannon and Matt Ryan were out of question for me, and I didn't like McNair for this (those were the only 3 recent MVP winners not taken). No one left was mobile except for Luck and Wilson. I went with Wilson, but it was a coin flip.

It's OK. Even if Russ Wilson is the Trent Dilfer of this league, he'd still have a championship ring. I like my team that much.

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Couldn't. For my QB, I wanted one that I got to watch play with my own eyes. I never got to see either of the two you mentioned.

Elway, Marino, Montana, Young, Favre, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Kurt, Big Ben...they were all taken. The only guy I would have considered taking without having seen play was Namath.

Also, I wanted a mobile guy who could create on the move. So Rich Gannon and Matt Ryan were out of question for me, and I didn't like McNair for this (those were the only 3 recent MVP winners not taken). No one left was mobile except for Luck and Wilson. I went with Wilson, but it was a coin flip.

It's OK. Even if Russ Wilson is the Trent Dilfer of this league, he'd still have a championship ring. I like my team that much. 

If you had to go with a more recent QB, Rivers would have been a stronger choice.  Mobility is overrated. 

And wasn't Gannon fairly mobile too?  Nearly 2,500 rushing yards in his career, with 21 rushing TD's. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you had to go with a more recent QB, Rivers would have been a stronger choice.  Mobility is overrated. 

And wasn't Gannon fairly mobile too?  Nearly 2,500 rushing yards in his career, with 21 rushing TD's. 

Rivers was high in consideration too, but I can't discount his many (many) postseason failures. Stafford was as well.

So my final list came down to Gannon, Wilson, and Luck. I was initially set on Gannon in the mid-rounds, but ultimately when it came time to choose, I looked at some of the other teams and saw some gnarly front 7s, and wanted a guy who had outstanding mobility and could make plays from outside the pocket. Ultimately, I decided that I personally would have taken Russell over Gannon to start a team if I had to, so I went with him. Again, I'm not saying I'm bound to my pick, or that he's the 24th greatest QB in history, but I like it for the purposes of this league.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You never saw Fouts?  Too bad.  Air Coryell was a joy to watch.  Jefferson/Chandler, Joiner, Winslow Sr., Muncie/Mitchell.   I think it is crazy that Charlie Joiner was drafted here and Jefferson and Chandler weren't.  IMO Joiner was always the #2 on that team and today we'd be calling him a compiler.  Great player but not the greatest on his team.  Jefferson was a guy I seriously considered.  I went with Roy Green for the db potential and to keep with my theme of overall speed.  To be more true to my usual choice I would have taken Isaac Curtis over any and even the guys I picked. 

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Rivers was high in consideration too, but I can't discount his many (many) postseason failures. Stafford was as well.

So my final list came down to Gannon, Wilson, and Luck. I was initially set on Gannon in the mid-rounds, but ultimately when it came time to choose, I looked at some of the other teams and saw some gnarly front 7s, and wanted a guy who had outstanding mobility and could make plays from outside the pocket. Ultimately, I decided that I personally would have taken Russell over Gannon to start a team if I had to, so I went with him. Again, I'm not saying I'm bound to my pick, or that he's the 24th greatest QB in history, but I like it for the purposes of this league.

The mobility is reason that I picked Elway.  I figured he ticked all the boxes of winning super bowls and laser rocket arm and Jim Brown and most of the guys I'd go for were gone.  I am shocked that Fouts didn't go.  I thought about waiting until the end and then taking Fouts.  Normally I would go with a big armed guy like Bert Jones, Pastorini, even Archie Manning.  Sometimes I use Neil Lomax.  Give me 1984 Neil Lomax - 28 TD/18INT and 4,600 yards which was 2nd in the league to Mariino's 5,000 and like 4th all-time behind Marino and 2 of Fouts seasons.  I never saw Bart Starr either, but screw that chicken armed game manager.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You never saw Fouts?  Too bad.  Air Coryell was a joy to watch.  Jefferson/Chandler, Joiner, Winslow Sr., Muncie/Mitchell.   I think it is crazy that Charlie Joiner was drafted here and Jefferson and Chandler weren't.  IMO Joiner was always the #2 on that team and today we'd be calling him a compiler.  Great player but not the greatest on his team.  Jefferson was a guy I seriously considered.  I went with Roy Green for the db potential and to keep with my theme of overall speed.  To be more true to my usual choice I would have taken Isaac Curtis over any and even the guys I picked. 

The mobility is reason that I picked Elway.  I figured he ticked all the boxes of winning super bowls and laser rocket arm and Jim Brown and most of the guys I'd go for were gone.  I am shocked that Fouts didn't go.  I thought about waiting until the end and then taking Fouts.  Normally I would go with a big armed guy like Bert Jones, Pastorini, even Archie Manning.  Sometimes I use Neil Lomax.  Give me 1984 Neil Lomax - 28 TD/18INT and 4,600 yards which was 2nd in the league to Mariino's 5,000 and like 4th all-time behind Marino and 2 of Fouts seasons.  I never saw Bart Starr either, but screw that chicken armed game manager.

I know all about those SuperChargers and how Bill Walsh and Don Coryell combined to turn the passing game on its head (Walsh is my all time favorite coach and I’ve read a lot about him). I know I would have won over a few votes had I taken Fouts. But I was 1 when Fouts retired. I didn’t get to watch him play, so I didn’t get to determine for myself whether Fouts was the catalyst for the whole thing, or whether he was just surrounded by great offensive talent and had exceptional coaching/playcalling.

I don’t just go by numbers or rings (which is why I’d take Elway over Montana or Rodgers over Brady), so for the QB position, I wanted to know I was getting a real talent - regardless of how it would affect the voting. To me, this was the only real, mobile, playmaking talent available. That doesn’t mean he’s the 24th greatest of all time, it just means he’s what I wanted at my QB position:

giphy.gif

russell-wilson-scramble-throw.gif?w=500

giphy.gif

russell-wilson-is-magical-against-washin

Wilson_original.gif?1356322915

9 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

At 24th overall out of 24 teams, all the QBs that would have made a difference were well past gone. “Sooner” wasn’t an option for me.

You easily could of taken a QB with your first pick. Only 7 QBs we’re drafted before you picked but as I said it didn’t help most of us anyway, you made it farther than 3/4 the draft. 

One guy I loved that I never saw mentioned was Christian Okoye.  The Nigerian Nightmare was no joke and even these HOF teams we compiled would have dreaded dealing with him.  Most remember him getting smacked by Atwater or the NFL films "He's gonna wear your ass out" clips.  A brief but monstrous career. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

King P has an 11-8 lead with 15 minutes left.  Round 1 rematch it is!

The Namath v Brady matchup certainly did not hurt KingP.  Think the outcome might have been different on a Pats board?

Edit: Nevermind -- KingP had Rodgers,  not Namath.  Lets see how he does going up against Joe in the Final.

Namath was the probably the worst part of the team. But he’s also iconic which was perfect. Both my CBs were considered Top 10 all time, I also had a Top 10 all time S, ILB, OLB, DT, RT, OC, TE, RB, FB,  and 1 if not 2 Top 10 WRs. 

**hoists the trophy over my head 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Namath was the probably the worst part of the team. But he’s also iconic which was perfect. Both my CBs were considered Top 10 all time, I also had a Top 10 all time S, ILB, OLB, DT, RT, OC, TE, RB, FB,  and 1 if not 2 Top 10 WRs. 

**hoists the trophy over my head 

Namath is the only QB I would have taken that predates my existence- for obvious reasons.

Congrats. Hopefully we do this again next offseason. I have some fun wrinkles that we could try if interested @Paradis

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Namath is the only QB I would have taken that predates my existence- for obvious reasons.

Congrats. Hopefully we do this again next offseason. I have some fun wrinkles that we could try if interested @Paradis

absolutely

Congrats to @HessStation and thanks to all the managers who participated. Was interesting and voters favored teams i didn't expect. Next year we'll have do another with a twist... (no power 5 alums? lol) 

Archived