July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI for the Round 2 format.  It'll be a straight-forward 16-team tournament.  Because of how we eliminated teams in the 1st round, there's no risk that I can see of two teams meeting who have already faced each other.  If somehow that does occur, we'll adjust accordingly. 

The standings I posted above will be reflected in the seedings. 

ROUND 2                  QUARTERFINALS       SEMI-FINALS         FINAL

1-seed vs. 16-seed

-------------------------

8-seed vs. 9-seed

---------------------

4-seed vs. 13-seed

------------------------

5-seed vs. 12-seed

--------------------------------

3-seed vs. 14-seed                                                                     CHAMPION

---------------------------

6-seed vs. 11-seed

---------------------

7-seed vs. 10-seed

2-seed vs. 15-seed

Definitely take up Paradis's idea of adding one sub offensive and one sub defensive player for next year's draft. Also, shorten the time... most guys who are paying attention get on pretty quickly. Those that don't can just pick when they show up. Also consider setting the cutoff for players available only to players from 1960 or so onward. Would even be more interesting to make it a specific decade or two decades so there's some parity among players and we could imagine them actually playing together. Another possibility for a speed draft would be to give each drafter a specific team and have them construct their roster from that team only -- any player from 1960 onward. Assignment could be random.ized. Each drafter gets one day to put it together and submit. Then play them off in brackets.

17 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Definitely take up Paradis's idea of adding one sub offensive and one sub defensive player for next year's draft. Also, shorten the time... most guys who are paying attention get on pretty quickly. Those that don't can just pick when they show up. Also consider setting the cutoff for players available only to players from 1960 or so onward. Would even be more interesting to make it a specific decade or two decades so there's some parity among players and we could imagine them actually playing together. Another possibility for a speed draft would be to give each drafter a specific team and have them construct their roster from that team only -- any player from 1960 onward. Assignment could be random.ized. Each drafter gets one day to put it together and submit. Then play them off in brackets. 

I like these suggestions.  But I sincerely doubt there will be a draft next year.  Even with these rule changes in place, it wouldn't make much sense to do it in back-to-back years.  Better to wait several years as new talent rises up the ranks. 

With less than 16 hours left in Round 1, our field of 16 for Round 2 is pretty close to being a lock. 

* = clinched Round 2 spot

1.  * @Long Island Leprechaun (96 %)

2.  @BallinPB (76.92 %)

3.  * @UntouchableCrew (71.88 %)

4.  * @HawkeyeJet (64.29 %)

5.  * @Patriot Killa (62.07 %)

6.  * @greenwichjetfan (60.98 %)

7.   * @Paradis (55.17 %)

8.  * @Stark (54.55 %)

9.  * @HessStation (54.05 %)

10.  * @JiF (51.72 %)

11.  * @Jetsfan80 (51.52 %)

12.  * @Jetlife33 (48.48 %)

13.  * @Obrien2Toon (48.28 %)

14.  * @King P (45.95 %)

15.  * @#27TheDominator (45.45 %) 

16.  @Dunnie (44.83 %)

-------------------------------------------------------------

17.  @T0mShane (39.02 %) -- ELIMINATED

18.  @nycdan (37.93 %)  -- ELIMINATED

19.  @New York Mick (35.71 %)  -- ELIMINATED

20.  @sourceworx (28.13 %) -- ELIMINATED

21.    @nyjunc (23.08 %)

22.  @BigO (4 %) -- ELIMINATED

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I like these suggestions.  But I sincerely doubt there will be a draft next year.  Even with these rule changes in place, it wouldn't make much sense to do it in back-to-back years.  Better to wait several years as new talent rises up the ranks. 

I think we can do it next year, but maybe limit to a specific decade -- clearly the guys who went with the real old timers are not getting the votes.  And get started in June when not much is going on.  I think there would be alot more interest andmore discussison if we are not competing with training camp.  Having a draft limited to, say players who played in the 90s, would be different enough from this year. 

I would probably also limit to 16 -- makes the brackets work better and it is easier to find 16 folks who stay engaged than 24.

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think we can do it next year, but maybe limit to a specific decade -- clearly the guys who went with the real old timers are not getting the votes.  And get started in June when not much is going on.  I think there would be alot more interest andmore discussison if we are not competing with training camp.  Having a draft limited to, say players who played in the 90s, would be different enough from this year. 

I would probably also limit to 16 -- makes the brackets work better and it is easier to find 16 folks who stay engaged than 24.

Less people, the ones that were here and involved and I’d definitely say put a date limit. No one here for the most part ever seen some of these people play other then a 15 second black and white clip. We did one years ago and you had to also draft a special team player and HC, OC and DC. 

Date limits, or other limits.  Something like no HOF players would totally change things and skew more modern.  sh*t I would do one with only players that have played in other leagues.  USFL **** yeah! The limits might reduce interest which wouldn't be super bad if we want to reduce the numbers.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Date limits, or other limits.  Something like no HOF players would totally change things and skew more modern.  sh*t I would do one with only players that have played in other leagues.  USFL **** yeah! The limits might reduce interest which wouldn't be super bad if we want to reduce the numbers.  

Please, not USFL! That would certainly limit interest... you might get at two people who'd waste their time with that draft. LOL.

I'm still thinking a franchise based draft would be fun. Pick or be assigned an NFL team. Construct a roster of any players who were active from 1970 to the present and post (maybe within a couple of days). Set up brackets and poll to determine winner. Would have to be rules for players that moved across teams (preference given to team for which player played the most years, or the such). Could also include coaches, some special teams, etc.

37 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Please, not USFL! That would certainly limit interest... you might get at two people who'd waste their time with that draft. LOL.

I'm still thinking a franchise based draft would be fun. Pick or be assigned an NFL team. Construct a roster of any players who were active from 1970 to the present and post (maybe within a couple of days). Set up brackets and poll to determine winner. Would have to be rules for players that moved across teams (preference given to team for which player played the most years, or the such). Could also include coaches, some special teams, etc.

That would be interesting and it wouldn't take much time.  We'd have some matchups with the same players - Deion and Haley spring immediately to mind.  Then I would be allowed to do my full 53!

3 hours ago, Lith said:

13 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Interesting feedback,

What we could do next year, like Lith said, was start earlier in June -- and put a theme on it to avoid redundancy. No power 5 players (lulz), decades, conferences, no HOF, only UDFAs (lol ok maybe not that one) -- but yea, that would keep it fresh and interesting.

Also, agree - feel like 16 is a good number. If you planned in advance, you could flirt with just doing in a night, 3 min clocks on the pick. Doable with 16 people if interest and flexibility were there.

Updated Round 1 standings:

2.  @BallinPB (77.78 %)

8.  * @Stark (54.55 %)

10.  * @JiF (51.72 %)

14.  * @King P (45.95 %)

16.  @Dunnie (44.83 %)

21.    @nyjunc (22.22 %) 

•  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The @Paradis and @Dunnie matchup has concluded.  Barring a massive comeback by nyjunc in his matchup with Ballin, both Paradis and Dunnie  are in for Round 2, with Dunnie as the 16-seed.

By virtue of Dunnie's score, @#27TheDominator has clinced the # 15-seed.

So I made the playoffs?  Not even the bottom seed?  I think that warrants a 3-year extension. 

It's safe to go ahead and post the projected bracket even though we've still got 2 hours left.  I'll be heading out in a bit here and won't be available until later to start Round 2. 

The matchups will go in order from top to bottom.  1 vs 16 will be first, then 8 vs 9, then 4 vs 13, etc.

ROUND 2                  QUARTERFINALS       SEMI-FINALS              FINAL

# 1 @Long Island Leprechaun

# 16 @Dunnie

# 9 @HessStation

# 8 @Stark

# 9 @HessStation W 12-7

---------------------

# 4 @HawkeyeJet

# 13 @Obrien2Toon

------------------------

# 5 @Patriot Killa

# 12 @Jetlife33

--------------------                                                                                     CHAMPION

# 3 @UntouchableCrew                                                   

# 14 @King P                                                  

# 6 @greenwichjetfan

# 11 @Jetsfan80

---------------------

# 7 @Paradis

# 10 @JiF

# 2 @BallinPB

# 15 @#27TheDominator

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Updated Round 1 standings:

2.  @BallinPB (76.92 %)

8.  * @Stark (54.55 %)

10.  * @JiF (51.72 %)

14.  * @King P (45.95 %)

16.  @Dunnie (44.83 %)

21.    @nyjunc (23.08 %) 

•  

Jetfan80 I need not be reminded of this every day - what are you a sadist

CCE7F707-900B-4C8A-AAA1-1013E4484166.jpeg

# 9 @HessStation defeats # 8 @Stark, 12-7. 

Hess moves on to the Quarterfinals, where he will face the winner of the # 1 @Long Island Legend vs. # 16 @Dunnie matchup, which currently is tied 8-8 with 4 hours to go.  A tie goes to the higher seed, so Long Island Leprechaun will move on in the event of a tie.  

I just posted the next matchup, # 4-seed @HawkeyeJet vs. # 13-seed @Obrien2Toon.

@Lith and @Paradis I won't be around to post matchups this weekend, so I will need some assistance.  I will be posting the # 5 @Patriot Killa-# 12 @Jetlife33 matchup later this afternoon, but beyond that I won't be able to post any further matchups until Monday.  

We could potentially wrap up Round 2 over the weekend.  I think we should shoot for something like this for the remaining schedule:

Weekend:  Wrap up Round 2.

Monday-Tuesday:  Quarterfinals (2 matchups per day)

Wednesday-Thursday:  Semi-Finals (1 matchup each day rather than 2)

Friday-Saturday OR Saturday-Sunday OR Sunday-Monday:  Championship (48-hour matchup)

Since the Jets' first preseason game is Friday night we might need to take that day off completely and start the championship on Saturday or Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Lith and @Paradis I won't be around to post matchups this weekend, so I will need some assistance.  I will be posting the # 5 @Patriot Killa-# 12 @Jetlife33 matchup later this afternoon, but beyond that I won't be able to post any further matchups until Monday.  

Sounds like it is all on you @Paradis.  I will be away for the weekend and won't be online much either.

[mention=28279]Lith[/mention] and [mention=28612]Paradis[/mention] I won't be around to post matchups this weekend, so I will need some assistance.  I will be posting the # 5 [mention=27611]Patriot Killa[/mention]-# 12 [mention=27727]Jetlife33[/mention] matchup later this afternoon, but beyond that I won't be able to post any further matchups until Monday.  
We could potentially wrap up Round 2 over the weekend.  I think we should shoot for something like this for the remaining schedule:
Weekend:  Wrap up Round 2.
Monday-Tuesday:  Quarterfinals (2 matchups per day)
Wednesday-Thursday:  Semi-Finals (1 matchup each day rather than 2)
Friday-Saturday OR Saturday-Sunday OR Sunday-Monday:  Championship (48-hour matchup)

Since the Jets' first preseason game is Friday night we might need to take that day off completely and start the championship on Saturday or Sunday. 

Roger. I’ll take care of it. Thank you for your help and the work you’re putting in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LII wins it, 12-10.  It'll be 1) LII vs. 9) Hess in the Quarters.

12) Jetlife33 is looking to pull the upset on 5) Patriot Killa, jumping out to a 5-2 lead.  Meanwhile, 4) HawkeyeJet has an 11-8 lead on Obrien2Toon.  The winners of those 2 matchups will face each other. 

And with that, I'm outta here.  Its your show, @Paradis!  

Archived