July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lith said:

But on the other hand, aside from the first few years of his career, he was never much more than a 200 carry back.  If I am building an all time team, I want a guy who carries the ball 20-25 times a game.  Over the last 10 years of his career, he never averaged more than 15 carries a game. 

I’ll also have a FB carrying the ball and Allen is one of the best receiving RB so he’s a dual threat with Montana as a QB. He was also good at picking up the blitz. 

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’ll also have a FB carrying the ball and Allen is one of the best receiving RB so he’s a dual threat with Montana as a QB. 

Fair enough.  All depends on how you are building your team -- he makes a lot of sense if you plan to pick two backs; and there are still some really good backs on the board to pair with him.  

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Fair enough.  All depends on how you are building your team -- he makes a lot of sense if you plan to pick two backs; and there are still some really good backs on the board to pair with him.  

I'm gambling on my guy being there at the end. 

My defense is becoming the stuff of legends. 

41 minutes ago, King P said:

He had the better career numbers because he played longer. He played 5 more years than Holt, yet only has 100 more catches and 1800 more yards

And it's not impressive that Bruce was catching 7 TD's with the Niners at the age of 36?  I think longevity and durability are underrated characteristics. 

Holt was toast by 32. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Expensive RT, but gotta keep TomTerrific's Jersey clean vs these All-Pro defenses ? 

How is he going to survive back there when his linemen aren't given carte blanche to hold defenders whenever they feel like it?

Deacon Jones is coming for ya, Tom. 

Lordy, looking at these teams... gonna be interesting come voting.

Lith -- we don't want to drag out voting for 2 months... I think we should have 2 matches (24hr window) a day. take 1.5 weeks to get through round 1, but after that, we'll fly through the voting in about 1 week or so after. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How is he going to survive back there when his linemen aren't given carte blanche to hold defenders whenever they feel like it?

Deacon Jones is coming for ya, Tom. 

It's going to be a tom friendly walsh offense. get rid of the ball quick!

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

who the hell is Lou Creekmur? I don't think he could block Gholston on his best day. 

He had to make sure he was getting someone that had not alreday been picked.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lordy, looking at these teams... gonna be interesting come voting.

Lith -- we don't want to drag out voting for 2 months... I think we should have 2 matches (24hr window) a day. take 1.5 weeks to get through round 1, but after that, we'll fly through the voting in about 1 week or so after. 

22 teams; 11 first round matchups.  At 2 a day, will take 6 days to get through R1.  Not too bad.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

22 teams; 11 first round matchups.  At 2 a day, will take 6 days to get through R1.  Not too bad.

you'll have to pardon my math above there. yea, so 2 weeks total to go through the tournament. That should line up us to wrap up around the Jets first preseason game. 

Just now, Paradis said:

you'll have to pardon my math above there. yea, so 2 weeks total to go through the tournament. That should line up us to wrap up around the Jets first preseason game. 

Must be that Canadian math.  We still need to figure out how to handle the odd # of teams.  We can either:

- pass through 11 winners and highest ranked "loser" to get us to 12.  Then when we get down to 6, give bye to two highest seeded teams (cumulative % of votes), or

- pass through 11 winners and 5 wild cards to get to a 16 team bracket.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Must be that Canadian math.  We still need to figure out how to handle the odd # of teams.  We can either:

- pass through 11 winners and highest ranked "loser" to get us to 12.  Then when we get down to 6, give bye to two highest seeded teams (cumulative % of votes), or

probably leaning towards that - in order to get to the finish line quicker.

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like this option best.  Give the teams a chance who lost in tough, close matchups.  Since we don't know who will be viewed as the best teams yet, there's a chance the top team will get paired with the 2nd best team in the first round, or 3 vs 4, etc and we'll want to give those teams a chance in later round(s). 

I know it'll be slower, given that we're only eliminating 6 teams in round 1, but I think its the fairest setup. 

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

probably leaning towards that - in order to get to the finish line quicker.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I like this option best.  Give the teams a chance who lost in tough, close matchups.  Since we don't know who will be viewed as the best teams yet, there's a chance the top team will get paired with the 2nd best team in the first round, or 3 vs 4, etc and we'll want to give those teams a chance in later round(s). 

I know it'll be slower, given that we're only eliminating 6 teams in round 1, but I think its the fairest setup. 

I am with JF80 on this.  Would rather do a 5 team wild card adjustment, get down to 16 and then do a standard bracket the rest of the way.

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am with JF80 on this.  Would rather do a 5 team wild card adjustment, get down to 16 and then do a standard bracket the rest of the way.

Sweet.  So nyjunc and 5 other weaklings will exit in the first round, and then the real tournament begins.  ?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really nice picks man.  I had Martin on my shortlist.  I had Houston on my board too but thought he'd be a later rounder. 

Thanks! I been trying to grab more modern elite players just because most of the older guys that I know of are gone. 

4 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

What you're forgetting is that those old timers were spry... not to mention bandylegged and obstreperous. This could make all the difference.

The guy was part ostrich? 

F192D9DA-DCAA-4C4C-BEB6-33E1FB2CA495.jpeg

Archived