33 Years Ago Today

Lith

On 8/3/2018 at 11:53 AM, JetsFanatic said:

As  being old enough to remember Joe Namath playing, please don't compare stats today from stats of that era, it was a totally different game.

Johnny Unitas, who is considered an immortal, has a 54.6% completion rate.

Wow, didn’t know that about Unitas, that’s kind of amazing. Namath’s heir apparent, Richard Todd, was QB when I became a Jets fan, so it’s before my time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

it was before so many short passes were thrown to the running backs. You had a fullback and halfback, and the receivers ran longer routes; today, they throw a lot of high percentage stuff, which is almost like a handoff to a running back, so that's why completion percentages are higher today, plus you have this control offense, dinking and danking all day long. It was't like that in the 70's - Caster, BArkum, Maynard, Sauer, even Eddie Bell (during those lean years) were catching bombs....

Don’t forget that until the early to mid 80’s, before the 46, it was pretty unheard of to have a scheme in which a defensive back blitzed the QB, so I guess back then it was more routine to challenge the opponent’s CBs. Back in the stone ages when I played corner for my HS football team, I remember our coach showing us film of Buddy Ryan’s defense and saying that “the scheme is so crazy that it actually works.”

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

"I think his case is unique because of the legitimizing of the afl and subsequent merger.
Any other web with his numbers wouldn’t be in there. Thank god for Curtis Martin for finally giving the jets a hall of famer with some actual numbers."

Thats the garbage you wrote. Shame you dont know sh*t from Shinola about the Jets, kid. 

"I think his case is unique because of the legitimizing of the afl and subsequent merger.
Any other web with his numbers wouldn’t be in there. Thank god for Curtis Martin for finally giving the jets a hall of famer with some actual numbers."
Thats the garbage you wrote. Shame you dont know sh*t from Shinola about the Jets, kid. 

Kid.... the condescension oozes from your limited brain.

How old are you?
If you were alive in the 60s and 70s you wouldnt say any of this.
If you have never seen joe play or watched the league in that era, how can you say the man doesnt deserve to be in the hall?

Listen. I’m
No kid. Maybe compared to some in here I am but I’m approaching my 50’s. It’s funny how a lot of you guys are responding here. Im not ready to blow Namath so I’m a little naive kid?

I’m as proud of Namath as most but the guy won two playoff games in his career. Can we please take it down a notch?
If he carried the whole league how did he do it without more than barely winning in the post season?

Namath also called his own plays, and controlled the game unlike players of later eras.  He belongs in the hall because at his peak he was the best QB in the league, an elite player who took his team to a championship.  If you want to make the argument his career was too short because of injuries I could buy that, but when he was healthy he was hall of fame great compared to his contemporaries.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:19 AM, JetsFanatic said:

Totally different game back then.

My first year as a fan, when I was 7 years old, the Jets lost in the Mudbowl, and I cried and felt like they had personally betrayed me. After watching the Jets destroy the Bengals in the wildcard and Wesley Walker’s last minute catch to beat the Raiders in the Divisional round that year, I thought the Jets would never lose. Little did I know of the pain that would follow in the years to come...

My first year as a fan, when I was 7 years old, the Jets lost in the Mudbowl, and I cried and felt like they had personally betrayed me. After watching them destroy the Bengals and Wesley Walker’s last minute catch to beat the Raiders in the Divisional round that year, I thought they’d never lose. Little did I know of the pain that would follow in the years to come...

lol. I was about two years in my fan hood for that game. Watched it at the ground round in Belleville with my jet fan aunt(it’s her fault I’m here). I was destroyed and thought we would definitely win it the next year. Little did we know. Little did we know :(

On Fri Aug 03 2018 at 11:22 AM, Thai Jet said:

OMG ! 33 years. Can't be.   It's true, the older we get the faster time fly's by.

feels like just yesterday we were watching Gene Lipscomb running roughshot on offenses and Otto Graham innovating passing

On 8/3/2018 at 11:50 AM, BroadwayRay said:

It's true. So is his 50.1% career completion percentage. Love the guy, but he doesn't deserve to be enshrined based on his career numbers. Canton places way too much importance on Super Bowl wins. That's why Joe Namath is in, and Joe Klecko remains out.

To all this nonsense about his stats

all QBs of that era were in the 50% and 1/1 td/int range

you cant compare those stats to today’s qbs

he 100% belongs in the hof 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:47 AM, GREENBEAN said:

The only QB in canton with more INT’s than TD’s.
Wooo hooo! To be a jets great

Would ya look
At that good lookin bastard! Best looking bust in the whole joint

Stabler was recently enshrined and he also had more INts than TDs but Joe led the league in INTs 3 times, Ken never did. Ken led in TDs 2 times, Joe once. Ken led in passer rating once, Joe never did.  Ken had the much better career than Joe but Joe had the much greater impact on the game.

For those that weren't around for it - one of the biggest things Joe did to draw in a nationwide fan base (myself included) was to call the SB victory and then actually do it. Pro jocks (Ali excluded) didn't talk trash and shoot their mouths off in that era so Joe calling the victory was big news. The disparity between the leagues at that time was almost pro vs. semi-pro. The SB win was a BIG deal.    

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, JetsFanatic said:

As  being old enough to remember Joe Namath playing, please don't compare stats today from stats of that era, it was a totally different game.

Johnny Unitas, who is considered an immortal, has a 54.6% completion rate.

we cannot compare numbers of that era to numbers of today but we can compare them to their era.

comp %:

Joe was top 5 in comp % 5 times during the AFL days and I think there were 8-9 teams in the league at the time so he was mostly average. his highest season was finishing 2nd one season, next highest was finishing 4th 3 times.

Unitas led the NFL 1 time, was 2nd twice. 3rd twice.

Unitas was a 5x 1st team all pro, Namath 1x

Unitas was +37 TD/Int ratio, Namath -47

Unitas had record of 118-63-4 as starter, Namath 62-63-4

Namath threw more INts than TDs ONE time in his career(rookie season), Unitas did it 8 times.

There is absolutely no comparison btw the 2.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, southparkcpa said:

No Player, NONE, has had a bigger influence on the league than Joe. 

This I agree with.  while he didn't have a great career on the field he is the most significant player in the history of the sport.  he helped modernize the game.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

But he did.  There is no argument in sports dumber than "If he didn't do that thing he did, it would be completely different."

He sure did thanks to a D that turned Bal over 5 times and held them to just 7 points.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Jet Nut said:

Means you didn't see him play, have no idea how he carried the league etc.

His HOF spot isn't because of one SB.  No one gets in just because they won a SB.  

If he didn't win that SB he wouldn't be in.  That moment was the biggest moment in pro football history and he as the face of it even though we dominated w/ D.

He was great for a brief stretch but injuries robbed him of the chance to be great longer.  Unfortunately injuries count.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, JetsFanatic said:

They have no clue what they are talking about all they do is look at stats.  The game was totally different then.  Also from 1970 on, Namath played on some of the more horrific Jets teams ever assembled.  He should make that Hall for getting the 1972 & 1974 Jets teams to .500 (7-7).  

1970-73, 75-76 Joe missed games each season. Records below both with and without him:

with him: 16-31, 34%

without him: 11-26, 30%

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, docdhc said:

Namath also called his own plays, and controlled the game unlike players of later eras.  He belongs in the hall because at his peak he was the best QB in the league, an elite player who took his team to a championship.  If you want to make the argument his career was too short because of injuries I could buy that, but when he was healthy he was hall of fame great compared to his contemporaries.

He didn't take his team to a championship, a GREAT D took the team to the championship.  Joe threw away the 1967 season w/ INTs and was on his way to doing the same in 1968 before they started passing less and they took off.  he only had 15 TDs in that 1968 season. 

16 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

To all this nonsense about his stats

all QBs of that era were in the 50% and 1/1 td/int range

you cant compare those stats to today’s qbs

he 100% belongs in the hof 

Joe was far below 1/1 TDs to INTs.  He threw 47 more INTs than TDs.  QBs who made the Hall that played in 60s and 70s:

Unitas +37

Starr +14

Jurgensen +66

Staubach +44

Tarkenton +76

Dawson +56

Griese +20

the only QB who also threw more INts than TDs that played in the 60s and 70s was George Blanda who made the HOF more as a K.

this notion that a -47 TD/INT ratio was normal for great QBs is completely incorrect.

he belongs in the HOF b/c of what he meant to the game NOT for his actual on field accomplishments.

12 minutes ago, NJ said:

For those that weren't around for it - one of the biggest things Joe did to draw in a nationwide fan base (myself included) was to call the SB victory and then actually do it. Pro jocks (Ali excluded) didn't talk trash and shoot their mouths off in that era so Joe calling the victory was big news. The disparity between the leagues at that time was almost pro vs. semi-pro. The SB win was a BIG deal.    

lucky for him his D held a high powered Colts O to 7 points. the D forced 5 TOs and despite that huge advantage the Jets only scored 16 points.  Joe was the face of the Jets, the face of the AFL and the4 guarantee drew more eyeballs to the sets but w/o the D backing him up Joe would have been considered just a loudmouth who couldn't get it done.

Never seen anyone try to convince so many that an all time great is average at best.  Smashing his head against the wall repeatedly as he says the same things over and over again, not getting that not only does no one agree but no one is being convinced that he is right and changing their opinion of Namath.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Never seen anyone try to convince so many that an all time great is average at best.  Smashing his head against the wall repeatedly as he says the same things over and over again, not getting that not only does no one agree but no one is being convinced that he is right and changing their opinion of Namath.  

Not trying to change the opinion of anyone just pointing out some facts.  People can choose to do what they want with that information.  I wouldn't expect those that wore Namath underoos to change.

48 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

lucky for him his D held a high powered Colts O to 7 points. the D forced 5 TOs and despite that huge advantage the Jets only scored 16 points.  Joe was the face of the Jets, the face of the AFL and the4 guarantee drew more eyeballs to the sets but w/o the D backing him up Joe would have been considered just a loudmouth who couldn't get it done.

Did you consider that without that D backing him, and I expect he knew exactly how good they were, Joe may not have "shot his mouth off"? 

59 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You are so clueless, that I can't even argue with you.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Not trying to change the opinion of anyone just pointing out some facts.  People can choose to do what they want with that information.  I wouldn't expect those that wore Namath underoos to change.

What facts, the numbers you look at to interpret to back your opinions? 

Guys like Lombardi and Madden, countless players and coaches, etc, must have worn Namath Underoos too.  They couldn't be convinced either.

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He's gone out of his way so many different ways to discredit Namath and the Jets SB.  Used to be they didn't have to play as many games to get to the SB. Now it was the D.  Tomorrow he'll soin in a new direction.  It's all he does, changed the story over and over again.  I just don't get the mentality of shltting on our championship team and HOF QB. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Guys like Lombardi and Madden, countless players and coaches, etc, must have worn Namath Underoos too.  They couldn't be convinced either.

Don’t waste your time, really.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

we cannot compare numbers of that era to numbers of today but we can compare them to their era.

comp %:

Joe was top 5 in comp % 5 times during the AFL days and I think there were 8-9 teams in the league at the time so he was mostly average. his highest season was finishing 2nd one season, next highest was finishing 4th 3 times.

Unitas led the NFL 1 time, was 2nd twice. 3rd twice.

Unitas was a 5x 1st team all pro, Namath 1x

Unitas was +37 TD/Int ratio, Namath -47

Unitas had record of 118-63-4 as starter, Namath 62-63-4

Namath threw more INts than TDs ONE time in his career(rookie season), Unitas did it 8 times.

There is absolutely no comparison btw the 2.

This I agree with.  while he didn't have a great career on the field he is the most significant player in the history of the sport.  he helped modernize the game.

He sure did thanks to a D that turned Bal over 5 times and held them to just 7 points.

If he didn't win that SB he wouldn't be in.  That moment was the biggest moment in pro football history and he as the face of it even though we dominated w/ D.

He was great for a brief stretch but injuries robbed him of the chance to be great longer.  Unfortunately injuries count.

1970-73, 75-76 Joe missed games each season. Records below both with and without him:

with him: 16-31, 34%

without him: 11-26, 30%

He didn't take his team to a championship, a GREAT D took the team to the championship.  Joe threw away the 1967 season w/ INTs and was on his way to doing the same in 1968 before they started passing less and they took off.  he only had 15 TDs in that 1968 season. 

Joe was far below 1/1 TDs to INTs.  He threw 47 more INTs than TDs.  QBs who made the Hall that played in 60s and 70s:

Unitas +37

Starr +14

Jurgensen +66

Staubach +44

Tarkenton +76

Dawson +56

Griese +20

the only QB who also threw more INts than TDs that played in the 60s and 70s was George Blanda who made the HOF more as a K.

this notion that a -47 TD/INT ratio was normal for great QBs is completely incorrect.

he belongs in the HOF b/c of what he meant to the game NOT for his actual on field accomplishments.

56 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You can't argue because you have nothing to counter what I wrote but I urge you to please try.  I love to laugh

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, because Madden and Lombardi had nice quotes about his TALENT that overrides all the evidence of his mediocre career.

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He's gone out of his way so many different ways to discredit Namath and the Jets SB.  Used to be they didn't have to play as many games to get to the SB. Now it was the D.  Tomorrow he'll soin in a new direction.  It's all he does, changed the story over and over again.  I just don't get the mentality of shltting on our championship team and HOF QB. 

It's painful to do but I always have to be honest. Joe is the most important player in Pro football history but he did not have a great career.

I discuss Joe realistically, I'm sorry that is so painful for you.

But you get shi**in on our greatest player of all time, right? 

Archived