***OFFICIAL JETS GAME DAY ASCENSION OF DARNOLD THREAD GET UP***

T0mShane

9 minutes ago, BigO said:

Talk about teenage angst. Give the guy a break. 

I’m not saying that he is a game manager. I want someone to say he is though.

because this is basically what they are doing with the team’s performance tonight. 

They are basing an entire outcome on one/two preseason games. They are basing an entire outcome on temporary and situational variables.

Sam Darnold: No deep passes, deep ball issues, good at reads and short/intermediate routes in his first preseason with vanilla schemes = Game Manager/Chad Pennington 

Team performance: Getting ripped apart over the middle, OL sucking worse than expected, vanilla soft zone schemes, best OL players out until week 1 = 0-16 season.

That is my point.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m not saying that he is a game manager. I want someone to say he is though.

because this is basically what they are doing with the team’s performance tonight. 

They are basing an entire outcome on one/two preseason games. They are basing an entire outcome on temporary and situational variables.

Sam Darnold: No deep passes, deep ball issues, good at reads and short/intermediate routes in his first preseason with vanilla schemes = Game Manager/Chad Pennington 

Team performance: Getting ripped apart over the middle, OL sucking worse than expected, vanilla soft zone schemes, best OL players out until week 1 = 0-16 season.

That is my point.

Our OL is putrid and hurt. It’s smart to just have him get rid of the ball on quick outs and not put him in harms way at this point. After seeing the condition of this OL, I’d sit him for half the year, let him learn ala Rodgers and next year, spend gazillions on reshaping the OL to protect him. This kid is the Real Deal. I’m as giddy as Ebenezer Scrooge after his resurrection from the dark side. 

3 hours ago, BigO said:

Our OL is putrid and hurt. It’s smart to just have him get rid of the ball on quick outs and not put him in harms way at this point. After seeing the condition of this OL, I’d sit him for half the year, let him learn ala Rodgers and next year, spend gazillions on reshaping the OL to protect him. This kid is the Real Deal. I’m as giddy as Ebenezer Scrooge after his resurrection from the dark side. 

What, exactly did Aaron Rodgers learn?

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

GAME RECAP:

1. The Jets got pushed around all week and got pushed around tonight, especially in the trenches. This is no bueno and they can’t overcome being both unathletic AND soft. The Redskins aren’t exactly a brawler football team and we made them look like the Ray Lewis Ravens.

2. You have to start wondering what the receiving corps is going to look like, because Anderson, Kearse, and Enunwa have shown nothing this summer. Tre McBride and Charles Johnson have been the best receivers throughout camp, and that’s not good news. Recall that certain receivers have always had good statistical seasons playing with McCown over his career (remember Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge?). It’s not impossible that we’ve seen the best of Robbie Anderson, especially with Darnold’s issues with the deep ball. 

3. Darron Lee.

4. Quarterbacks all over the league are starting to get dinged up, and Bridgewater looks healthy and passable as a starter. There is zero—ZERO—reason not to trade him if and when a decent offer comes their way. Hanging on to him would be Mets-ian.

5. Darnold was fine. Nothing bad, nothing amazing. The good news is that he looks like he belongs. He’s not getting wrecked by blitzes he didn’t recognize, and he’s not throwing INTs to corners trying to bait him. He also doesn’t go into a shell when plays go bad, which we haven’t seen here since Favre.

6. A developing issue is special teams, which is a reflection of the team’s lack of athleticism  up and down the roster. If the Jets are smart, they find a way to keep guys like Derrick Jones, Frankie Luvu, Obum Gwachum,and Tre McBride on the roster and cut some stiffs who can’t move. The roster doesn’t have a legitimate punt or kick returner, and the kicker competition is weird. If the Jets aren’t going to score a lot, and they’re going to play bend/break defense, they can’t afford to dick around in the kicking game. 

Game Recap:

it was a great preseason game. No major injuries, the QBs looked good and Teddy’s trade value increased.

8 hours ago, jetrider said:

Schizos and schizoids, it's freakin preseason. The primary game plan is to evaluate talent and trim the roster correctly.

Winning the game is secondary.

Exposing weaknesses is most beneficial.

Don’t care about winning. I care about seeing fundamentally sound football being played. Vanilla preseason scheming is not an excuse for lack of talent and fundamentals. 

I cannot speak for all that are disapproving of the performance we watched last night, but I can speak for myself. I’m sure others saw the same thing.

45 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Darnold was fine. Nothing bad, nothing amazing. The good news is that he looks like he belongs. He’s not getting wrecked by blitzes he didn’t recognize, and he’s not throwing INTs to corners trying to bait him. He also doesn’t go into a shell when plays go bad, which we haven’t seen here since Favre.

While I agree. I also fear him developing a ‘shell’ reflex after a season of playing with this sh*t offense.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Don’t care about winning. I care about seeing fundamentally sound football being played. Vanilla preseason scheming is not an excuse for lack of talent and fundamentals. 

I cannot speak for all that are disapproving of the performance we watched last night, but I can speak for myself. I’m sure others saw the same thing.

It is hard to judge preseason, no game planning, revolving personnel and coaches are into situational analysis rather than a strategy to win. Remember the Browns were 4-0 last year in the preseason.

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It is hard to judge preseason, no game planning, revolving personnel and coaches are into situational analysis rather than a strategy to win. Remember the Browns were 4-0 last year in the preseason.

Like I said. I don’t care about anything but fundamentals. Jamal Adams let’s plays happen in front of him exactly how Gholston used to. It’s gross.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Like I said. I don’t care about anything but fundamentals. Jamal Adams let’s plays happen in front of him exactly how Gholston used to. It’s gross.

My biggest concern is Lee. I though he was improving in the 2nd half of last season, but he looks like garbage so far this preseason. The only plays I hear his name are either when gets buried in a block like on Perine's 30 yard run, or when he commits bad penalties.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

My biggest concern is Lee. I though he was improving in the 2nd half of last season, but he looks like garbage so far this preseason. The only plays I hear his name are either when gets buried in a block like on Perine's 30 yard run, or when he commits bad penalties.

They need to just make Lee a situational blitzed to disrupt plays at this point. The guy has terrible movement and takes bad angles but he’s really fast. I said in an earlier post just have him jam a TE at the line and go straight for the QB. I’m no coach though so I’m not going to act like I know what I’m talking about. Just a thought because I do not see anything good that he does besides this. 

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

What, exactly did Aaron Rodgers learn?

It’s a known fact, for the most part, Qb’s, especially Qb’s, go through an intense learning curve in their first couple of years and highly benefit from sitting behind a veteran in their 1st year. Of course there have been recent rare exceptions, but there’s a lot to digest and it was a standard rule by coaches that a rookie QB would sit and learn before being thrown to the wolves. As much as I want Darnold to start ASAP, this offensively OL is just not up to par to protect him. Last year Darnold was under constant pressure as USC’s line went through major changes. Let him sit, learn and get the OL fixed for next year. 

51 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

They need to just make Lee a situational blitzed to disrupt plays at this point. The guy has terrible movement and takes bad angles but he’s really fast. I said in an earlier post just have him jam a TE at the line and go straight for the QB. I’m no coach though so I’m not going to act like I know what I’m talking about. Just a thought because I do not see anything good that he does besides this. 

I agree that Bowles has no idea how to properly use Lee.  He is too light for 3-4 ILB and simplly doesnt have the instincts for the position.  He needs to play a weakside OLB/off the line where he can play in space, chase plays with his speed and blitz.   A base package with Jenkins as one OLB on the line with Lee as the other OLB with Williamson as the MLB with help in the box from Adams or Wilcox seems like a better way to use Lee IMO

19 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I agree that Bowles has no idea how to properly use Lee.  He is too light for 3-4 ILB and simplly doesnt have the instincts for the position.  He needs to play a weakside OLB/off the line where he can play in space, chase plays with his speed and blitz.   A base package with Jenkins as one OLB on the line with Lee as the other OLB with Williamson as the MLB with help in the box from Adams or Wilcox seems like a better way to use Lee IMO

I agree and was only “grasping at straws” in an effort to think of how to use him. I’m not even saying he would be good at it. Just getting desperate at this point. No more 1st round defensive picks unless it’s pass rusher! Haha. Unbelievable 

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

all these calls are at the stix, as if going BEYOND the 1st down marker is taboo

1330114079223_1889157.png

Never understood that; heard HS and college coaches say let the ball do the work. This team, not a chance. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Lee and Adams are both spectators on the field but at least Adams is a fantastic cheerleader on the sidelines. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

He’s a Rex Ryan guy.

Please, Rex Ryan made Jim Leonhard a better safety than Jamal Adams.

Rex Ryan made Adalius Thomas a house hold name and one of the most deadliest defense players in the league.  BB got his hands on him and he sucked.

Rex Ryan is a god. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Lee doesnt get to choose to9 chase plays from behind all the time.

Cos, if I am an OC, and he is on teh field, I attack right where he is.

Lee cannot hang in the NFL. It is and always was a terrible pick.

He is a fraud as an NFL LB and our D will get gashed on the ground and through the air cos he is so bad.

CUT HIM NOW

Trust what you SEE WITH YOUR OWN EYES.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Exhibit A

giphy.gif

The perfect gif summary of 1st round picks; Williams doubled team (nobody on the DL to take advantage),  Lee misses his assignment on a blatantly obvious crossing route and fades closer to his teammate instead of holding down his zone with a receiver running right into his space and then Adams stands around while teammates make play!

lmfao

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

The perfect gif summary of 1st round picks; Williams doubled team (nobody on the DL to take advantage),  Lee misses his assignment on a blatantly obvious crossing route and fades closer to his teammate instead of holding down his zone with a receiver running right into his space and then Adams stands around while teammates make play!

lmfao

#58- Not good!

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You do realize they were playing soft zone the entire game right?

Should be easier to read a simple crossing route than, no?  Dude, watch the gif...he literally drifted right into the other MLB's zone.  Leaving his wide open with an easy to spot underneath crossing route.

You realize how easy that is to spot and cover, right? 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Should be easier to read a simple crossing route than, no?  Dude, watch the gif...he literally drifted right into the other MLB's zone.  Leaving his wide open with an easy to spot underneath crossing route.

You realize how easy that is to spot and cover, right? 

JiF, that’s not my point. My point is that Adams was so far back from the play that it’s kind of odd to attack him for not being in the play. It was clearly Lee’s blown assignment.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

JiF, that’s not my point. My point is that Adams was so far back from the play that it’s kind of odd to attack him for not being in the play. It was clearly Lee’s blown assignment.

Probalby should have prefaced that.  I thought you were referring to Lee since Adams was obvi playing deep safety.  That said, he still watched the play happen in front of him.  Didnt want to get his jersey dirty.  Which is fine in the preseason. 

7 hours ago, BigO said:

It’s a known fact, for the most part, Qb’s, especially Qb’s, go through an intense learning curve in their first couple of years and highly benefit from sitting behind a veteran in their 1st year. Of course there have been recent rare exceptions, but there’s a lot to digest and it was a standard rule by coaches that a rookie QB would sit and learn before being thrown to the wolves. As much as I want Darnold to start ASAP, this offensively OL is just not up to par to protect him. Last year Darnold was under constant pressure as USC’s line went through major changes. Let him sit, learn and get the OL fixed for next year. 

So you dont know either.

Archived