Off season and Mock Draft 1.0

Guilhermezmc

Is that time of the year again, mock drafts and off season plans that will be shattered in the next couple of months.

First off let me start by saying that most of the moves here are my personal thoughts and sometimes wishes.

So let's get it to it.

Let go list - 

Morris Claiborne (CB) - Walk.

Buster Skrine (CB) - Walk.

Kelvin Beachum (T) - Cut (or restructure contract).

Josh McCown (QB) - Walk.

Jermaine Kearse (CB) - Walk.

Isaiah Crowell (RB) - Cut.

Bilal Powell (RB) - Walk.

The keep list - 

Robby Anderson (WR) - Tender.

Leonard Williams (DT/DE) - Let's see what he can do in a 4-3.

Henry Anderson (DE) - 2 year deal.

Darryl Roberts (CB) - 2 year deal.

Deontay Burnett (WR) - Promote.

Jason Myers (K) - 3 year deal.

Andre Roberts (KR/WR) - 2 year deal.

Steve McClendon (DT) - 1 year deal.

FA signings:

Trey Flowers (DE) - We need edge rushers, and yes he's another Patriot cast off, but who cares? The guy can play and the Pats don't even have the money to pay him. Young guy who will help to fill a huge need. Not much to say here.

Tevin Coleman (RB) - So, I don't think that the Jets will be able to get Le'Veon Bell. Coleman is a complete back who can contribute running, catching and blocking. He will be way cheaper than Bell and that will help to spread the money around on some other key signings. 

Ja’Waun James (RT) - Shell's injury is told to be a scary one. Shell had his moments with the team, sometimes he played great and some other he was just abused. James comes in as a solid RT who worked with Gase before. The priority should be in protecting Darnold.

Trent Brown (LT) - Yes, 2 ex patriots on the same FA class. The cheaters drafted a LT on the last years draft so I must assume that they are not going to pay Trent Brown this offseason. He played very well this season and would be a amazing addition to this offensive line. PROTECT DARNOLD AT ALL COSTS.

Bryce Callahan (CB-Slot) - Give him the Skrine contract and have a better player.

The Draft:

1st Round - #7 overall:

So, on this mock i'll go with the Jets trading down with de Jaguars, getting theirs 2019 1st, 2nd and a 2020 2nd.

Ed Oliver (DT), Houston - Mac always go BPA and Oliver is one of the best players in the draft (Top 2 for me), he has Aaron Donald potential and would be a amazing addition to Leo and now Flowers. 

Houston v Rice : Fotografia de notícias

2nd Round - #38 overall:

Josh Jacobs (RB), Alabama - Complete RB who will battle with Tevin Coleman for the starting spot. He just don't have the production to go on the first round and slips to the second where we are able to pick him up.

College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Capital One Orange Bowl - Alabama v Oklahoma : Fotografia de notícias

3rd Round - #68 overall:

Deebo Samuel (WR), South Carolina - Very good hands and can play the role that Jarvis Landry played on the Gase-Dolphins offense.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: SEP 08 Georgia at South Carolina : Fotografia de notícias

3rd Round - #95 overall:

Yodyn Cajuste (OL), West Virginia - Very athletic lineman that plays with great power at the point of attack, played as tackle but can transition inside. Needs to add weight.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: SEP 01 Belk College Kickoff - Tennessee v West Virginia : Fotografia de notícias

4th Round - 98# overall:

Joe Jackson (DE), Miami - Athletic DE who don't possess great pass rush moves, beat people most using only speed. If he can develop better pass rush moves could be a problem for oposing offenses.

Pittsburgh v Miami : Fotografia de notícias

So I'm not going to go into what kind of trades might happen in the draft or who will be available in round 3 and onwards. I'm just going to assume we stick at 3 in Rd. 1. I also won't go into some of the back-end depth that the Jets will resign or add to the team. But I have a similar view of what the Jet should do to rebuild this team around Darnold.

First let's look at the players the Jets should let walk: Skrine, Carpenter, McLendon, Kearse, Powell, McCown, D.Roberts

Release/cut: Beachem, Long

Bring back/resign: Mo C., Copeland, Martin, Myers, H.Anderson, R.Anderson, Burnett, A.Roberts

Sign in FA: M.Paradis-C (DEN), T.Brown-OT (NE), J.Milller-OG (Bills), D.Fowler- DE (Rams), M.Bryant- WR (OAK), T.Austin-WR (Dallas), T.Matieu-CB (HOU)

DRAFT: 

Rd1. pick#3- Q.Williams (ALA)

Starters:

QB: S.Darnold

RB: Crowell, McGuire, Cannon

WR: Enunwa, Anderson, Austin, Bryant, Burnett, D.Roberts (KR) (6 WRs)

TE: Herndon, Leggett

LT: Brown

LG: Miller

C- Paradis

RG: Winters

RT: Shell

Defense:

D-line: H.Anderson, Q.Williams, L.Williams- moves to DT in 4-3, D.Fowler + rotating- Martin, Shepherd, 

OLB: Lee- moves to OLB in 4-3, Copeland, Jenkins 

ILB: A.Williamson

Safety: Adams, Maye

CB: T.Johnson, Mo, T.Matieu (slot), P.Nickerson, D.Jones, R.Robinson (6 CBs)

K: Myers

I think most of my signings are realistic. The Jets have a lot of cap space and can overpay Paradis, J.Miller, and Brown to rebuild the O-line. I think Fowler and Matieu are not as likely to happen but I do believe they will hit the open market. Austin and M.Bryant should be very much available for the Jets. 

Offense: With the FA additions to the O-line I think it will completely change the run game production and Sam's comfort level in the pocket. Bryant adds another big target on the outside for Sam and Austin adds a shifty slot receiver. With Anderson as the burner on the outside and Enunwa moving around all over and working down the middle of the field along with Herndon should give Sam plenty of weapons all over.

Defense: Q.Williams and L.Williams will wreak havoc on the inside. H.Anderson is not your prototypical 4-3 DE but he has proven time and time again that he can get in the face of the QB and create sack opportunities. Fowler will be more of a traditional 4-3 DE pass rusher. This line should be beefy enough to shut down the run and athletic enough to get to the QB.

LBs: Williamson should be a good fit in the middle. In a 4-3 Lee can be successful as an OLB.  I'm not sure how well Jenkins will transition to a 4-3 but between him and Copeland the Jets should be able to work something out. 

CB: Mo and T.Johnson come back. Both are wildcards and both will need to stay healthy or the secondary could fall apart. However, with an improved pass rush, I think G.Williams will get the best out of them and when on they can both be shutdown CBs. Mathieu is a huge addition/upgrade over Skrine. P.Nickerson, Jones and Robinson will give the Jets young developmental depth. 

S: Adams and Maye are the penciled in starters and if Maye stays healthy he could have a break out year like Adams did this season. 

K: Meyers (resign this beast)

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

LBs: Williamson should be a good fit in the middle. In a 4-3 Lee can be successful as an OLB.  I'm not sure how well Jenkins will transition to a 4-3 but between him and Copeland the Jets should be able to work something out. 

The knock on Williamson is his speed.  TEN pulled him off the field on a lot of 3rd downs because he couldn't cover well enough.  Not sure if he's going to thrive in the middle.  Almost wonder if Darron Lee wouldn't do better.

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

So I'm not going to go into what kind of trades might happen in the draft or who will be available in round 3 and onwards. I'm just going to assume we stick at 3 in Rd. 1. I also won't go into some of the back-end depth that the Jets will resign or add to the team. But I have a similar view of what the Jet should do to rebuild this team around Darnold.

First let's look at the players the Jets should let walk: Skrine, Carpenter, McLendon, Kearse, Powell, McCown, D.Roberts

Release/cut: Beachem, Long

Bring back/resign: Mo C., Copeland, Martin, Myers, H.Anderson, R.Anderson, Burnett, A.Roberts

Sign in FA: M.Paradis-C (DEN), T.Brown-OT (NE), J.Milller-OG (Bills), D.Fowler- DE (Rams), M.Bryant- WR (OAK), T.Austin-WR (Dallas), T.Matieu-CB (HOU)

DRAFT: 

Rd1. pick#3- Q.Williams (ALA)

Starters:

QB: S.Darnold

RB: Crowell, McGuire, Cannon

WR: Enunwa, Anderson, Austin, Bryant, Burnett, D.Roberts (KR) (6 WRs)

TE: Herndon, Leggett

LT: Brown

LG: Miller

C- Paradis

RG: Winters

RT: Shell

Defense:

D-line: H.Anderson, Q.Williams, L.Williams- moves to DT in 4-3, D.Fowler + rotating- Martin, Shepherd, 

OLB: Lee- moves to OLB in 4-3, Copeland, Jenkins 

ILB: A.Williamson

Safety: Adams, Maye

CB: T.Johnson, Mo, T.Matieu (slot), P.Nickerson, D.Jones, R.Robinson (6 CBs)

K: Myers

I think most of my signings are realistic. The Jets have a lot of cap space and can overpay Paradis, J.Miller, and Brown to rebuild the O-line. I think Fowler and Matieu are not as likely to happen but I do believe they will hit the open market. Austin and M.Bryant should be very much available for the Jets. 

Offense: With the FA additions to the O-line I think it will completely change the run game production and Sam's comfort level in the pocket. Bryant adds another big target on the outside for Sam and Austin adds a shifty slot receiver. With Anderson as the burner on the outside and Enunwa moving around all over and working down the middle of the field along with Herndon should give Sam plenty of weapons all over.

Defense: Q.Williams and L.Williams will wreak havoc on the inside. H.Anderson is not your prototypical 4-3 DE but he has proven time and time again that he can get in the face of the QB and create sack opportunities. Fowler will be more of a traditional 4-3 DE pass rusher. This line should be beefy enough to shut down the run and athletic enough to get to the QB.

CB: Mo and T.Johnson come back. Both are wildcards and both will need to stay healthy or the secondary could fall apart. However, with an improved pass rush, I think G.Williams will get the best out of them and when on they can both be shutdown CBs. Mathieu is a huge addition/upgrade over Skrine. P.Nickerson, Jones and Robinson will give the Jets young developmental depth. 

S: Adams and Maye are the penciled in starters and if Maye stays healthy he could have a break out year like Adams did this season. 

K: Meyers (resign this beast)

You are going to have to find some other WR's. Martavis Bryant is under an "indefinite" suspension again as of December. Unless I missed something and that has already been changed. I am also trying to figure out why so many people are now on the Tavon Austin train, to me that is a wasted pick. Roberts is a better returner and IMO Burnett is going to be much better than Austin. We can find a small shifty WR if thats what your looking for with Austin, I just don't see anything there.

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2019 at 9:04 AM, Stark said:

You are going to have to find some other WR's. Martavis Bryant is under an "indefinite" suspension again as of December. Unless I missed something and that has already been changed. I am also trying to figure out why so many people are now on the Tavon Austin train, to me that is a wasted pick. Roberts is a better returner and IMO Burnett is going to be much better than Austin. We can find a small shifty WR if thats what your looking for with Austin, I just don't see anything there.

Ah. Ok. I knew he was suspended but did not know it was going into next year. K.Benjamin would be my other target for a big WR on the outside- but I think the Bills will try to hold on to him. 

I think Austin is just a speedy, shifty slot WR that will surely hit the open market and has been underutilized by the Cowboys so his price tag won't be overwhelming. So I think that is why Jet fan are looking at him as a FA target. Roberts should still be the returner. I still have Burnett in there on my depth chart. 

Add K.Benjamin instead of Bryant and the WR corps looks even better.  

Enunwa, Anderson, Austin, Benjamin, Burnett, A.Roberts (KR) (6 WRs)

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Ah. Ok. I knew he was suspended but did not know it was going into next year. K.Benjamin would be my other target for a big WR on the outside- but I think the Bills will try to hold on to him. 

I think Austin is just a speedy, shifty slot WR that will surely hit the open market and has been underutilized by the Cowboys so his price tag won't be overwhelming. So I think that is why Jet fan are looking at him as a FA target. Roberts should still be the returner. I still have Burnett in there on my depth chart. 

Enunwa, Anderson, Austin, Benjamin, Burnett, D.Roberts (KR) (6 WRs)

Where has Tavon Austin shown to be a slot receiver?  The guy has been in the league for 6 years and has done nothing.  50% of your receiver group can not be Austin, Burnette and Roberts.   

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Enunwa, Anderson, Austin, Benjamin, Burnett, D.Roberts (KR) (6 WRs)

The Bills cut Kelvin Benjamin after Thanksgiving for being fat, lazy and generally sucking.  The Chiefs signed him for the rest of 2018 and he caught like 2 for 25 over 3 games. Horrible idea. Maybe worse than Bryant. 

• 4 years later...