The NFLs Rigged Stupid Bowl has lowest rating in 10 years

Blackout

22 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If you don't think the interest in NFL football is waning - your delusional. Back when we were teenagers most kids were big time football fans. Today there are many many more teens who have no interest in sports beyond what Lebron or OBJ does.  Plus add in all the rules which are making the game just a few steps from two hand touch and the NFL will be losing lots of the diehard fans. When our generation dies off so too will the NFL's stranglehold on the the viewing public. 

No, youre delusional.  TV ratings up.  Attendance is as strong as ever.  But the game is waning.  Even worse is the idea that rule changes that favor the offense or to protect the players turns people away.  Sure it will, have heard that since they started calling PI tighter 25 years ago.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

No but it happens many times within a game and its rarely ever flagged. It gives their linemen an advantage against speed edge rushers.  They are not the only team who does it , I've noticed the Giants and Colts also doing it more than most teams , but the Pats do it by far the most.

What you noticed isnt illegal.  They have 5 on the line

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They don't line up illegally on every down.  Just as the didnt on that play.  No different than the way every other team lines up

The ball is on the 36 yard line . Their tackles are a good yard to yard and a half behind the ball , that's an illegal formation.

Section 19 of the Rule Book Definitions

Article 2

A Player of Team A is on his line:

(c) if he is a non-snapper, his helmet must break the vertical plane that passes through the belt line of the snapper.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

The ball is on the 36 yard line . Their tackles are a good yard to yard and a half behind the ball , that's an illegal formation.

There is nothing illegal going on here.  Youre seeing something that isnt there.  The lineman are all a yard off the ball, not a yard and a half, its not an illegal formation

On 2/5/2019 at 10:39 AM, Jet Nut said:

No, youre delusional.  TV ratings up.  Attendance is as strong as ever.  But the game is waning.  Even worse is the idea that rule changes that favor the offense or to protect the players turns people away.  Sure it will, have heard that since they started calling PI tighter 25 years ago.

I'd love to see how those tv ratings are calculated . Are they based on someone watching a game for 5 minutes and does redzone factor in where people aren't really watching a game just scoring drives.  But I'm not going to argue with you , I've been down that path before and it usually results in me banging y head against a wall - unlike Charlie Brown I won;t play this time.

Btw - I didn't mean the poster meant the Peanuts character. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

I'd love to see how those tv ratings are calculated . Are they based on someone watching a game for 5 minutes and does redzone factor in where people aren't really watching a game just scoring drives.  But I'm not going to argue with you , I've been down that path before and it usually results in me banging y head against a wall - unlike Charlie Brown I won;t play this time.

I would think theyre calculated the way they have forever.  Neilson boxes know when and how you watch TV, can differentiate between those watching parts of a game from those watching the entire game.  

But hey, if you keep asking these questions it never gets solved and you can then claim you were driven to banging your head against a wall.  

4 hours ago, ECURB said:

Holy sh*t you guys are a bunch of babies.

It was down 5% but it was the first year it could be streamed on a few sites and those #s aren't in. It will wind up being a wash.

Sorry to ruin your whining party.

You’d think Jets fans would be better at disappointment

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So changing the rules so the Pats defenders couldn't mug the Colt WRs was helping the Pats? 

And really another football will die off post?  Football keeps getting more and more popular every year.  The league isnt  close to dying on any level and the Pats run will end soon enough if anyone actually believes theyre killing the league.  

Once upon a time the three biggest sports in the United States were baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Wasn't too long ago actually. Times change, games change, people change.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:29 PM, The Troll said:

Jesus, it's not rigged. 

Also it had the lowest rating since arguably the greatest Super Bowl of all time. Last night's game was utter sh*t, but that CardPitt game was something else.

It looks like you're living up to your name with this post.  ?

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Once upon a time the three biggest sports in the United States were baseball, boxing, and horse racing. Wasn't too long ago actually. Times change, games change, people change.

Baseball has been second to football for 50 years.  Ratings keep going up, nothing says its interest is fading.

Boxing was never in the top 5.  Its more of an event.  Get that big fight, it draws ratings.  Get a big time heavyweight and boxing is back to where it once was.   Horse racing is totally based on betting, nothing about it has changed.   

I get things can change but not seeing any indication that its happening now as would be the case if rule changes were the cause.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is 100% false.

Sorry, a handful of events a year isn't comparable to football, hockey, baseball and basketball.  And I love boxing, always have and hate what it's become.  

Again, would be interesting if you took away the gambling aspect.  

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What you noticed isnt illegal.  They have 5 on the line

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They don't line up illegally on every down.  Just as the didnt on that play.  No different than the way every other team lines up

19 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Section 19 of the Rule Book Definitions

Article 2

A Player of Team A is on his line:

(c) if he is a non-snapper, his helmet must break the vertical plane that passes through the belt line of the snapper.

Well done 56! Could also why Dee lined up so far up field. Spatial awareness and all.

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps.  But the Super Bowl is supposed to be all about drawing in the casual fan or non-fans.  It failed in this regard, since the typical way for "new" fans to watch the game is in a social setting. 

If you're streaming the game online you're probably already an NFL fan, no?

No. Streaming just means no cable. Horrible assumption. It more likely means more individual viewings, than party viewings. Which could elevate numbers at the end of the day.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:33 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Perhaps.  But the Super Bowl is supposed to be all about drawing in the casual fan or non-fans.  It failed in this regard, since the typical way for "new" fans to watch the game is in a social setting. 

If you're streaming the game online you're probably already an NFL fan, no?

False

Real NFL fans are some of the last holdouts for regular cabel because of local sports.

Casual NFL fans are the cord cutters who watched the game on YouTube.

Nice try though ?

On 2/5/2019 at 10:17 AM, bitonti said:

the NFL tv ratings in general are up - which is rare in a world where every tv rating is either flat or down 

diehards come and go. a sucker is born every minute and that sucker is going to need a Tom Brady onesie 

Regular season ratings are up 10%.  The super bowl ratings sucked because people are tired of the patriots, it was a rigged matchup thanks to the refs in the championship games and Adam Levine only appeals to drunk middle aged housewives in the midwest

Archived