Darryl Roberts Staying

southtown24th

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This puts CB firmly in play for the #3 pick. If Roberts is the best they could do with $80 mil in cap space, it means they think they’re going to draft one high. Buckle up.

Didn’t u see the video of your favorite player - the president - walking around LSU with Greedy Williams? Good video. Saw it on NFL network I think. Bet u can u tube it. Anyway oh yeah putting your money on Greedy in the 1st round is the correct choice. Adams needs a buddy to roll around with. Greedys the guy. He can even push 225 maybe 10 times. My daughter has bigger shoulders than Greedy. I’d like to see Greedy tackle a pro running back on a screen in the secondary. Good luck with that one Greedy. 

WOW I'm hearing a lot of bitching and grousing in this thread but to me this is a feel good story:

Jets Re-Sign Versatile DB Darryl Roberts

Randy Lange

NYJETS.COM CONTRIBUTOR

The Jets have re-signed versatile veteran defensive back Darryl Roberts, who could have become an unrestricted free agent Wednesday.

Why did Roberts want to return to the Green & White. He told newyorkjets.com's Olivia Landis that coaching — new head coach Adam Gase's signing of new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and the retention of secondary coach Dennard Wilson — had a lot to do with it.

"I would say the coaching staff that came in. Gregg Williams is a mastermind, and I just love the Jets so I thought it would be a good decision to come back.

“And I love Coach D. Great coach, coaches hard, and he’s smart, too. He came up under Gregg, so I think those two together are going to have us pretty right in the back end.”

Roberts had his best NFL season in 2018, his third year as a Jet after he was acquired via waivers from New England at the start of the 2016 season. He recorded career highs of 16 games, 10 starts and 48 tackles, defensed seven passes and had his second career interception in Game 4 at Jacksonville.

Further, when injuries built up at safety, Roberts shifted from cornerback to the deep middle for five late-season starts. In shifting responsibilities, he became the first Jets defensive back to start at least five games at corner and at least five at safety in a season since Johnny Lynn in 1985.

Besides his 725 snaps on defense in 2018, Roberts logged 210 plays and recorded four tackles on special teams.

“You never know when you’re going to get your opportunity," Roberts said during the season, "but the only thing you can do is prepare for it and make sure you’re ready when it presents itself."

“Darryl does whatever it takes,” Wilson said. “He listens to coaching, he reads his keys, he studies. If you ask him to do something, he’s going to do it to the best of his ability. ... I'm proud of him.

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

Holy sh*t, that’s not backup money

12 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Sure doesn't seem like it

13 hours ago, usanyj said:

3 yrs 18 mil

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

Hmmmm, that sounds like they may be thinking about him as a starter.

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

6 million a year for a backup? They probably plan on putting him in the Claiborne spot. Which is problematic. Roberts is a solid depth guy. Not a full game reps guy. This is head scratching. 

Mehta hinted at the fact its backloaded contract that can be cuttable at anytime... I bet its in the range of 4 Mil the first two years, 7 Mil year 3 with a 3 Mil signing bonus. Or around that... 

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Greedy Williams 

Image result for greedy lsu

Not at 3. 

I see the Jets big board looking something like this: 

1. Bosa

2. QW

3. Allen

4. J.Williams

5. Ed Oliver

6. Greedy Williams 

7. M. Sweat

So even if Bosa and QW go 1 and 2, I think the Jets roll the dice on Allen. However, if they trade down and Greedy is still on the board, I would not be at all surprised if they pick him up. And I would be totally fine with that. 

People bitch about depth and versatility, then complain when that very thing is retained.  Roberts played corner, safety and was a big contributor on the special teams.  He has the size, speed and tackling ability to play anywhere on the back line.  Thought the contract was a little rich, but wait for the details. In the meantime another positive, constructive, signing.

6 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I'd imagine he's our outside corner. Hopefully I'm wrong, but he's solid. Sign Poole now. Roberts and Jones in camp for the outside corner job. Both Poole and Roberts can play safety if Maye goes down again. 

I don't think he is going to be the starter... They were inquiring about Trae Waynes... They are absolutely looking for 2 more CBs... a slot CB... Callahan/Poole and an outside CB like Waynes would be awesome but I would love Darby.... Roberts is a good swiss army knife that they can place anywhere... It seems that the Jets are looking for players that can play multiple roles in the def to allow a versatility for Gregg Williams to hide coverages 

19 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Need Nickerson to step up and play a key role this year. I'd say a make or break year for Jeremy Clark and Derrick Jones too.

These are also good points.  I am not sure Nickerson will be anything but a slot corner but I think he can be a really good one... but the way that they are looking at top tier slot CBs it doesn't seem they have faith that he will grow into that position.

For Jones and Clark, I was hoping that they would show more then they have.... I don't think they will amount to anything other then back-ups... 

5 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

These are also good points.  I am not sure Nickerson will be anything but a slot corner but I think he can be a really good one... but the way that they are looking at top tier slot CBs it doesn't seem they have faith that he will grow into that position.

For Jones and Clark, I was hoping that they would show more then they have.... I don't think they will amount to anything other then back-ups... 

You may be right. I think going into year 3 the Jets will know if Jones and/or Clark can be a contributor on defense. Not sure if they have any STs value as well. Hope we can get some solid contributions from at least 2 of these 3 guys.

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I don't think he is going to be the starter... They were inquiring about Trae Waynes... They are absolutely looking for 2 more CBs... a slot CB... Callahan/Poole and an outside CB like Waynes would be awesome but I would love Darby.... Roberts is a good swiss army knife that they can place anywhere... It seems that the Jets are looking for players that can play multiple roles in the def to allow a versatility for Gregg Williams to hide coverages 

Maybe it's back-loaded but I doubt Darby is coming here, he's visiting the Chiefs and we haven't been linked to him at all. Tae Waynes would be interesting but I don't want to help the Vikings at all, F them. They'd have to give me Trae Waynes plus a pick for me to consider helping them afford Cousins, Diggs, Barr, and Rhodes. I think Poole has a shot to be signed here but he's apparently visiting the Bengals as well, going to have to deal with some old school FA visits. I doubt the Jets are going to splurge on a slot corner after spending the money they did on Bell and Mosley. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think they're in on Houston either, they've had days to sign Houston and haven't done so. I don't see anymore big name moves like Suh, Berry, Darby, Callahan, or Houston. I think we're going to make some lower tier signings like Poole and maybe we'll make a trade for another starter.

3 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Maybe it's back-loaded but I doubt Darby is coming here, he's visiting the Chiefs and we haven't been linked to him at all. Tae Waynes would be interesting but I don't want to help the Vikings at all, F them. They'd have to give me Trae Waynes plus a pick for me to consider helping them afford Cousins, Diggs, Barr, and Rhodes. I think Poole has a shot to be signed here but he's apparently visiting the Bengals as well, going to have to deal with some old school FA visits. I doubt the Jets are going to splurge on a slot corner after spending the money they did on Bell and Mosley. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think they're in on Houston either, they've had days to sign Houston and haven't done so. I don't see anymore big name moves like Suh, Berry, Darby, Callahan, or Houston. I think we're going to make some lower tier signings like Poole and maybe we'll make a trade for another starter.

The way the NFL passing game is playing out right now is that the slot corner is becoming a more valued position... Just like the stocks of Safeties have gone up in recent years, the stocks of top tier nickel corners have gone up... Hence why after initial inquiry into Callahan... I think they backed off because he is looking for a big contract after the year he had last year... and I don't blame him... I would love him on the Jets but I think Poole is more in their cards because he is coming off a down year and they can get him at good value.

I really hope Nickerson thrives in Williams Def and takes a big leap in year 2 because he looked awesome at Tulane... But they can never have too many corners right now... especially with the firepower some of these AFC teams have now...

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

The way the NFL passing game is playing out right now is that the slot corner is becoming a more valued position... Just like the stocks of Safeties have gone up in recent years, the stocks of top tier nickel corners have gone up... Hence why after initial inquiry into Callahan... I think they backed off because he is looking for a big contract after the year he had last year... and I don't blame him... I would love him on the Jets but I think Poole is more in their cards because he is coming off a down year and they can get him at good value.

I really hope Nickerson thrives in Williams Def and takes a big leap in year 2 because he looked awesome at Tulane... But they can never have too many corners right now... especially with the firepower some of these AFC teams have now...

That's definitely all true but I think Poole won't come too cheap. Maybe PFF has this year as being a down year for him but he had 3 picks, 3 sacks, 70 tackles, and started 9 games. Production wise his best season. I'd be very happy if we signed him, Callahan will probably look for a 10-14 million per year deal. No way that's worth it, although I would love him on the Jets for the right number.

28 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

That's definitely all true but I think Poole won't come too cheap. Maybe PFF has this year as being a down year for him but he had 3 picks, 3 sacks, 70 tackles, and started 9 games. Production wise his best season. I'd be very happy if we signed him, Callahan will probably look for a 10-14 million per year deal. No way that's worth it, although I would love him on the Jets for the right number.

Since he left the Jets without a contract, I think you are right... He may be looking for a bigtime contract. 

Other then waiting for cap causalities... there isn't much left out there on the market beyond depth signings... That is why I was hoping they can work out something to take Trae Waynes off Minn. hands.

Or they go back to the well and sign Mo cheaper then last year I hope.

10 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Hey this guy who used to be useful because he made 0 now costs 4M but this is actually good because words.

See, this thing called the free agency market has been invented.

17 hours ago, Lith said:

May view him as starter based on the contract.

Whoa.  Roberts played well last season but that's seems like quite a raise. 

I wonder if they're done at CB and are hoping for Nickerson to make a big leap?

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Whoa.  Roberts played well last season but that's seems like quite a raise. 

I wonder if they're done at CB and are hoping for Nickerson to make a big leap?

Closer look at Darryl Roberts’ contract: 3 years, $18M. Fully guaranteed at signing: $4M ($1M base + $3M roster bonus tomorrow). 2020: $2M of his $5M base becomes fully guaranteed on 5th day of ‘20 league year. Cap charges: $4.5M, $6M, $7.5M. APY: 33rd among CBS. #Jets

That's not crazy for a guy that filled in for both Mo and TJ last year, He got beat a lot but 10 Mil for 2 years is pennies for CB right now.

Just now, Skeptable said:

Closer look at Darryl Roberts’ contract: 3 years, $18M. Fully guaranteed at signing: $4M ($1M base + $3M roster bonus tomorrow). 2020: $2M of his $5M base becomes fully guaranteed on 5th day of ‘20 league year. Cap charges: $4.5M, $6M, $7.5M. APY: 33rd among CBS. #Jets

That's not crazy for a guy that filled in for both Mo and TJ last year, He got beat a lot but 10 Mil for 2 years is pennies for CB right now.

Ok, that doesnt look as bad. 

These contracts dont mean anything until you see the yearly break downs. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Ok, that doesnt look as bad. 

These contracts dont mean anything until you see the yearly break downs. 

After seeing Verrett's contract... ouch... this is not a great deal... they must really think Roberts is the CB2

Archived