Jump to content
32EBoozer

2019-2020 METS THREAD! It’s time has come.

Recommended Posts

Memo to Stevie Cohen. Thank you for being persistent. You will be a great owner. As a 62 year old who has rooted for your team forever, may I humbly suggest the first two moves? 1) When ink dry, show Brodie the door. 2) sign Familla up for Elon Musk’s space program. One way trip.😁

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to you guys on getting new ownership.

I mean that in all sincerity, what you had was a freaking joke.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, section314 said:

Watching the game last night, they said the Mets have only won 2 series this year. Anybody else hear that?

I must have missed that during the broadcast last night, but I just looked back at the schedule.  And that is correct.  We have won two series from the Marlins.  Swept them in Miami and took 2 of 3 from them at Citi.  In fairness, there have been a bunch of 2 and 4 game series that were split, but only those two that we have actually won.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, section314 said:

Watching the game last night, they said the Mets have only won 2 series this year. Anybody else hear that?

2 series wins, 4 series losses and 7 series ties. That is what happens when you have 1 great pitcher, and 4 middling to poor pitchers. Can't get a streak going. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lith said:

I must have missed that during the broadcast last night, but I just looked back at the schedule.  And that is correct.  We have won two series from the Marlins.  Swept them in Miami and took 2 of 3 from them at Citi.  In fairness, there have been a bunch of 2 and 4 game series that were split, but only those two that we have actually won.

Ironically, the Marlins are what, 3-4 in front of us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

2 series wins, 4 series losses and 7 series ties. That is what happens when you have 1 great pitcher, and 4 middling to poor pitchers. Can't get a streak going. 

Great point. You know what’s weird, and sad, is that last night, the way Castro and Diaz just blew people away, it made me think of 2015, with Clippard and Familla. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Watching the game last night, they said the Mets have only won 2 series this year. Anybody else hear that?


Up to 3 now.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Sandy Alderson is going to be brought back to the Mets.  I'd be very happy about that if so.  Guy was a true pro and brought in solid guys.  And that was without a big payroll.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, the Mets will move into the 21st Century....

Motion capture software was still relatively new in 2011 when the Mets considered becoming one of the first MLB teams to implement it.

The technology captures three-dimensional images, allowing pitchers and batters to compare their mechanics when they are thriving versus slumping. If a pitcher has lost his slider in June, images can be accessed to determine when his hip is clearing, as opposed to months earlier when the pitch was sharp.

Cameras were installed in Citi Field for a test trial, which concluded with a presentation to team COO Jeff Wilpon. The price tag was $150,000. The Mets passed.

Nearly a decade later, motion capture software is a standard tool throughout the game — many teams have it installed in their minor league facilities — but remains absent from the Mets, who last spring training hired an outside firm for one day to employ it, creating at least something of a database.

The technology is just one of several improvements to the infrastructure potentially headed to the Mets should Steve Cohen’s $2.475 billion purchase of the club from Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz be approved by MLB owners in the coming weeks.

Cohen, a hedge-fund maven who built his estimated $14 billion fortune on crunching data and hiring the right people for such analysis, is seen as a savior to the Mets for more than his resources to pursue top free agents. Behind the scenes, the Mets are expected to become more analytically driven, perhaps worthy of the nickname the “East Coast Dodgers,” should Cohen receive the 23 of 30 votes by MLB owners to complete the transaction that would leave him with a 95 percent stake in the club.

Cohen has told associates, according to sources, he expects to lose about $400 million on the team in his first two years as the new owner.

“While all these other owners are trying to save money, he’s already spent money,” a major league executive said. “So what’s another $50 million to put together the best front office and [infrastructure] he can put together? These other guys are trying to save money, so [Cohen] is like these guys that try to dominate Wall Street by buying up all the stocks when stuff is going bad. He’s already spent the money and this is his opportunity to really take advantage of a down market.”

Cohen’s handpicked team president, Sandy Alderson, pushed heavily for technological upgrades and a bigger analytics staff during his tenure as Mets general manager, but resources allotted to him were often scarce. When Alderson departed the organization in 2018, citing recurring health problems, the Mets’ analytics staff consisted of three employees. That number grew to six following general manager Brodie Van Wagenen’s hiring four months later. The doubling of the analytics staff still left the Mets well behind much of the competition. It’s not uncommon for teams to have analytics departments with 20-plus employees.

“It was just so archaic,” a person familiar with the Mets operating structure during the Wilpons’ ownership said. “Fred Wilpon walked around and tried to pride himself on being this progressive thinker and he just couldn’t grasp a lot of the stuff. It wasn’t like Jeff or Fred, I don’t want to make them out to be bad guys, I just think they didn’t grasp how to invest in stuff that could help you get down the road.”

The Mets have fought to keep up. Included was the development of a player-facing app on iPads. The app allows players to prepare for an upcoming opponent, helping them share video, communicate with coaches and analyze data. But the app also requires an infrastructure the Mets are lacking.

It starts with a data pipeline, but acquiring the same kind of information from the minor leagues as major leagues has been a challenge for the Mets due to staffing limitations. Likewise, the Mets are challenged in keeping the app updated and receiving proper analysis due to the scarcity of bodies. Another issue that has bedeviled the organization is something as basic as an internal server that can support 30 players using their iPads simultaneously.

But Cohen’s infusion of capital won’t be all about technology and analytics, spending on free agents aside.

Cohen could place the organization, long removed as serious players on the international market, on the path to securing premier talent outside the amateur draft.

Recent GMs under the Wilpons, starting with Omar Minaya to Alderson to Van Wagenen, have been constricted budgetarily from pursuing top international talent. Often the line was drawn on what could be acquired for a certain dollar value, without consideration on what better options might be available.

Much will flow from the GM, whether Van Wagenen remains or a top-flight executive with a proven track record such as Theo Epstein or Billy Beane is hired.

“One of the things Steve doesn’t get credit for over in his business is he recruits the best in breed,” a person with ties to Cohen said. “Then he makes sure they produce. If they don’t perform and produce, he’s not afraid to make a change.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And, the Mets will move into the 21st Century....

Motion capture software was still relatively new in 2011 when the Mets considered becoming one of the first MLB teams to implement it.

The technology captures three-dimensional images, allowing pitchers and batters to compare their mechanics when they are thriving versus slumping. If a pitcher has lost his slider in June, images can be accessed to determine when his hip is clearing, as opposed to months earlier when the pitch was sharp.

Cameras were installed in Citi Field for a test trial, which concluded with a presentation to team COO Jeff Wilpon. The price tag was $150,000. The Mets passed.

Nearly a decade later, motion capture software is a standard tool throughout the game — many teams have it installed in their minor league facilities — but remains absent from the Mets, who last spring training hired an outside firm for one day to employ it, creating at least something of a database.

The technology is just one of several improvements to the infrastructure potentially headed to the Mets should Steve Cohen’s $2.475 billion purchase of the club from Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz be approved by MLB owners in the coming weeks.

Cohen, a hedge-fund maven who built his estimated $14 billion fortune on crunching data and hiring the right people for such analysis, is seen as a savior to the Mets for more than his resources to pursue top free agents. Behind the scenes, the Mets are expected to become more analytically driven, perhaps worthy of the nickname the “East Coast Dodgers,” should Cohen receive the 23 of 30 votes by MLB owners to complete the transaction that would leave him with a 95 percent stake in the club.

Cohen has told associates, according to sources, he expects to lose about $400 million on the team in his first two years as the new owner.

“While all these other owners are trying to save money, he’s already spent money,” a major league executive said. “So what’s another $50 million to put together the best front office and [infrastructure] he can put together? These other guys are trying to save money, so [Cohen] is like these guys that try to dominate Wall Street by buying up all the stocks when stuff is going bad. He’s already spent the money and this is his opportunity to really take advantage of a down market.”

Cohen’s handpicked team president, Sandy Alderson, pushed heavily for technological upgrades and a bigger analytics staff during his tenure as Mets general manager, but resources allotted to him were often scarce. When Alderson departed the organization in 2018, citing recurring health problems, the Mets’ analytics staff consisted of three employees. That number grew to six following general manager Brodie Van Wagenen’s hiring four months later. The doubling of the analytics staff still left the Mets well behind much of the competition. It’s not uncommon for teams to have analytics departments with 20-plus employees.

“It was just so archaic,” a person familiar with the Mets operating structure during the Wilpons’ ownership said. “Fred Wilpon walked around and tried to pride himself on being this progressive thinker and he just couldn’t grasp a lot of the stuff. It wasn’t like Jeff or Fred, I don’t want to make them out to be bad guys, I just think they didn’t grasp how to invest in stuff that could help you get down the road.”

The Mets have fought to keep up. Included was the development of a player-facing app on iPads. The app allows players to prepare for an upcoming opponent, helping them share video, communicate with coaches and analyze data. But the app also requires an infrastructure the Mets are lacking.

It starts with a data pipeline, but acquiring the same kind of information from the minor leagues as major leagues has been a challenge for the Mets due to staffing limitations. Likewise, the Mets are challenged in keeping the app updated and receiving proper analysis due to the scarcity of bodies. Another issue that has bedeviled the organization is something as basic as an internal server that can support 30 players using their iPads simultaneously.

But Cohen’s infusion of capital won’t be all about technology and analytics, spending on free agents aside.

Cohen could place the organization, long removed as serious players on the international market, on the path to securing premier talent outside the amateur draft.

Recent GMs under the Wilpons, starting with Omar Minaya to Alderson to Van Wagenen, have been constricted budgetarily from pursuing top international talent. Often the line was drawn on what could be acquired for a certain dollar value, without consideration on what better options might be available.

Much will flow from the GM, whether Van Wagenen remains or a top-flight executive with a proven track record such as Theo Epstein or Billy Beane is hired.

One of the things Steve doesn’t get credit for over in his business is he recruits the best in breed,” a person with ties to Cohen said. “Then he makes sure they produce. If they don’t perform and produce, he’s not afraid to make a change.”

Thanks for posting . Great read. Worked on Wall St. in institutional trading for 30 years. Stevie Cohen and his firm brought their "A" game, everyday, all day long, and you had to bring yours as well. He does not suffer fools gladly, which is why I think BVW is toast. I just hope he doesn't turn things over to the analytic people. I guess they have a place in the game, but I hope it's much closer to the back of the line. Let those guys figure out how to maximize revenue, and let the baseball people figure out what players to play. Just ask Aaron Boone how those geeks can ruin a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, section314 said:

Thanks for posting . Great read. Worked on Wall St. in institutional trading for 30 years. Stevie Cohen and his firm brought their "A" game, everyday, all day long, and you had to bring yours as well. He does not suffer fools gladly, which is why I think BVW is toast. I just hope he doesn't turn things over to the analytic people. I guess they have a place in the game, but I hope it's much closer to the back of the line. Let those guys figure out how to maximize revenue, and let the baseball people figure out what players to play. Just ask Aaron Boone how those geeks can ruin a team.

If watching the show "Billions" has taught me anything, while he values analytics, he trusts his gut more. Just use analytics to give you the foundation. If, they have portrayed him correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

If watching the show "Billions" has taught me anything, while he values analytics, he trusts his gut more. Just use analytics to give you the foundation. If, they have portrayed him correctly.

I read somewhere that Axe is based on someone else, but I doubt it. Axe is Stevie.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...