5 year anniversary of the Idzik 12

WayneChrebet80

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

As much as Geno may have sucked, he still had a job in the NFL when Hackenberg was getting benched in the AAF.  Geno literally had more TDs 30 minutes into his NFL career than Hackenberg ever will.

There is no level of awful that will ever match the complete and utter uselessness of Hack.

When you draft a QB in the top 2 rounds, you have hopes of them being a starter for your team. Neither is a starter for the Jets nor any other team.  They both suck, they both were terrible failed draft picks.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Which hasn't been addressed in a serious manner since '06. Beause BOTH.of the last 2 GMs are f*cking morons. 

Seriously. Geno, as bad as he was, had to run for his life. How many times was Petty (as bad as he was) DESTROYED behind the Jets line? 2015. Was an outlier, and Fitz still got knocked out of a game. McCown was knocked out behind the Jets line. Darnold had to run for his life much too often last year. 

Here's the REAL argument for saying Mac is worse than Id, even after drafting Sam....

He knew 2016-17 were building years, and he knew (didn't he?) that Fitz and Josh weren't long term solutions at QB, and he had to either try to develop the young QBs on the roster (Petty, Hack) OR draft a QB high in the near future. He also had our All Pro C and LT retire. So that was an IDEAL time to work on the foundation of your team. I was screaming and bitching and moaning for TWO YEARS that the Jets needed to build an O line for the young QB, regardless of who it was. Im not a Football GM. I'm not a scout, and aside from my kids in the backyard, Im not a Coach....but I KNEW the Jets needed to have a good oline in place for who ever we wound up drafting. 

And here we are. Year f*cking 5 of the MacCagnan Experience, and Jonatthon Harrison is the Center right now. Hes a depth level replacement. Nothing more. Beechum, who is soft as Charmin, is watching Sams back, and we are paper thin along the line even if Shell (adequate starter, nothing more) comes back 100%. Thank God for the KO pick up....and imo Winters is meh.

So yeah, MacCagnan has been EVERY BIT the failure that Zik was. But its more if a sustained, boring failure, not the spectacular crash and burn we got with Idzik. 

Mac, its the O-line, stupid! Idiot. 

Could you imagine someone blaming this on Bryce Petty? 

Some jets fans would have celebrated that sack had it been Geno Smith.

And I absolutely agree with you. The moment Brick and Mangold was looking like they were on their way out, I said that it's best to draft their replacement the year before they leave so once they are gone we already have their replacements with a year in the season as well as pro level development. 

Matter of fact, remember when Sam Darnold injured his elbow in the Colts game after throwing an INT to Malik Hooker then making the tackle? 

Lets see why Darnold threw that INT. Here's a GIF that I just created. 

Darnold.1.gif.cae86c57994c51f102281ee66e69d230.gif

Look at Spencer Long step on Winters foot, Winters cant recover and gets absolutely blown up, Darnold has to get rid of the ball because of the pressure, throws a Pick and then injures his elbow making the tackle. 

To add insult to injury, the snap was also low. lol. 

We need competent reliable olinemen now. It wouldnt have become such a dire need if Macc would have approached the Oline with some respect and understanding when it comes to the peformance and success of now just the QB but the Offense as a whole. 

I really would love for us to fire him before tomorrow night's draft! lol. 

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

HaHa...

Take it in proper context. Mac Sucks, Idzik Sucked, Tanny sucked, Rex sucked, Bowles sucked.

Nice pick of Jeremiah George, completely misquoting me. How about Calvin Pryor? Remember him?

Or the 10 of Idziks 12 2014 picks that were completely out of Football within 3 years. The 2013, 14, and 15 drafts should be the core of our roster. But epic failures in those drafts by 2 GMs have left the team scrambling just to fill a compwtent 53 man roster. 

So basically we have about a 6% hit rate stretching back to 2006. Hurray! 

Jets Fans: Lets fight over which single guy to blame!!

This really isn't true.  I did the run down on these guys near the end of the season.  They suck, but they mostly have the athletic ability to get extra chances and they have. First of all, 3 years is 2016. 

• Pryor was starting for three full seasons, then ended up on the Jags. 
  • Amaro hasn't played since 2016, but he was in Chiefs camp until final cuts in 2018. 
  • McDougle started for the Eagles last year, but didn't finish the season with them.  I think he ended the year on the Redskins practice squad. 
  • Saunders and Evans both are in Canada.  Evans stuck around with the Cowboys offseason/practice roster for a couple of years. 
  • Dozier and Enunwa are presumably the guys that you admit to lasting.  Both have earned 2nd (3rd really) contracts. 
  • Jeremiah George played in 2017 and was cut injured after camp from the Colts last season. 
  • Brandon Dixon started several games for the Giants in 2017, but I think he had an achilles tear and they cut him during the offseason.  I think he was on Orlando in the AAF. 
  • Enemkpali played a bit the first couple of years for Rex, but got hurt in 2016 and he didn't make it out of camp with the Raiders in 2017. 
  • Tahj Boyd is the Rex vanity pick and awful.  The Steelers had him in camp in 2015 and he has played minor league and tried to latch on in Canada without success. 
  • Trevor Reilly, the Jets Uber driver was an ancient rookie and is now 31+.  He played through the 2017 season and the Pats actually added him to their playoff practice squad at the end of the year.

I wonder how well Idzik vetted these guys or if he ignored character concerns.  Pryor's disappearance and stay in Cleveland seems to indicate some personal problems - why isn't he even getting looks?  The Jalen Saunders 1 car accident seemed strange and substance related.  Some guys I coached with overseas had UCLA ties and I asked about Evans and was told that if he came in humble and worked he would be a starter, but if he acted like he had the team made he wouldn't last long.  Seemed cryptic the way it was put, but it was prophetic.  The Enemkpali punch out and Dmitri Patterson disappearance, and exhibition benching also scream lack of vetting/character. 

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Im not so sure about this..... From the standpoint of which one had a better chance of succeeding, perhaps, but IMO, a QB is binary, they are either legit, or they are not. Best bet is you find one, 2nd best bet is you find out quickly you don't have one. Hackenberg made it clear immediately he wasn't one. Both were 2nd round picks, Geno higher, we wasted more time with Geno than we did Hackneberg, they both busted miserably. To call Geno a better pick is a stretch, to call him 100x better, I just don't agree at all

This is a lovely thought,. but if it is true, why did we pass on Mahomes and Watson again? 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Could you imagine someone blaming this on Bryce Petty? 

And I absolutely agree with you. The moment Brick and Mangold was looking like they were on their way out, I said that it's best to draft their replacement the year before they leave so once they are gone we already have their replacements with a year in the season as well as pro level development. 

Matter of fact, remember when Sam Darnold injured his elbow in the Colts game after throwing an INT to Malik Hooker then making the tackle? 

Lets see why Darnold threw that INT. Here's a GIF that I just created. 

Darnold.1.gif.cae86c57994c51f102281ee66e69d230.gif

Look at Spencer Long step on Winters foot, Winters cant recover and gets absolutely blown up, Darnold has to get rid of the ball because of the pressure, throws a a Pick and then injures his elbow making the tackle. 

To add insult to injury, the snap was also low. lol. 

We need competent reliable olinemen now. It wouldnt have become such a dire need if Macc would have approached the Oline with some respect and understanding when it comes to the peformance and success of now just the QB but the Offense as a whole. 

I really would love for us to fire him before tomorrow night's draft! lol. 

MacCagnan worked for the Houston Texans from 2000-2014. Did he pay ANY attention to the team he worked for?

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/2010/10/05/texans-face-qb-sack-problems

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This really isn't true.  I did the run down on these guys near the end of the season.  They suck, but they mostly have the athletic ability to get extra chances and they have. First of all, 3 years is 2016. 

• Pryor was starting for three full seasons, then ended up on the Jags. 
  • Amaro hasn't played since 2016, but he was in Chiefs camp until final cuts in 2018. 
  • McDougle started for the Eagles last year, but didn't finish the season with them.  I think he ended the year on the Redskins practice squad. 
  • Saunders and Evans both are in Canada.  Evans stuck around with the Cowboys offseason/practice roster for a couple of years. 
  • Dozier and Enunwa are presumably the guys that you admit to lasting.  Both have earned 2nd (3rd really) contracts. 
  • Jeremiah George played in 2017 and was cut injured after camp from the Colts last season. 
  • Brandon Dixon started several games for the Giants in 2017, but I think he had an achilles tear and they cut him during the offseason.  I think he was on Orlando in the AAF. 
  • Enemkpali played a bit the first couple of years for Rex, but got hurt in 2016 and he didn't make it out of camp with the Raiders in 2017. 
  • Tahj Boyd is the Rex vanity pick and awful.  The Steelers had him in camp in 2015 and he has played minor league and tried to latch on in Canada without success. 
  • Trevor Reilly, the Jets Uber driver was an ancient rookie and is now 31+.  He played through the 2017 season and the Pats actually added him to their playoff practice squad at the end of the year.

I wonder how well Idzik vetted these guys or if he ignored character concerns.  Pryor's disappearance and stay in Cleveland seems to indicate some personal problems - why isn't he even getting looks?  The Jalen Saunders 1 car accident seemed strange and substance related.  Some guys I coached with overseas had UCLA ties and I asked about Evans and was told that if he came in humble and worked he would be a starter, but if he acted like he had the team made he wouldn't last long.  Seemed cryptic the way it was put, but it was prophetic.  The Enemkpali punch out and Dmitri Patterson disappearance, and exhibition benching also scream lack of vetting/character. 

This is a lovely thought,. but if it is true, why did we pass on Mahomes and Watson again? 

Because we liked the next class better, and let’s drop Mahomes, he was never a realistic option and zero chance he thrives under Bowles. The real question is why did we pass on Watson, and I’m still not sold he is a legit franchise QB and I think Sam will have a much better career 

Literally the only difference between Idzik and Maccagnan is that Idzik was the GM when Rex got fired and too many of you are too embarrassed to admit that Rex was awful and Idzik gives you a nice scapegoat to assuage your feelings of guilt and shame. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Literally the only difference between Idzik and Maccagnan is that Idzik was the GM when Rex got fired and too many of you are too embarrassed to admit that Rex was awful and Idzik gives you a nice scapegoat to assuage your feelings of guilt and shame. 

This is just me but I can completely separate Rex and Idzik.

Rex may have sucked. However, he had some success as a coach, a DC and a little bit as a HC. Total blowhard but he had some NFL chops.

That doesn't negate the fact that Idzik REALLY sucked as a GM and was WAY over his head.  Zero NFL chops.

I will never use Rex as a scapegoat for Idzik or Idzik for Rex.

Independent suckatude.

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

When you draft a QB in the top 2 rounds, you have hopes of them being a starter for your team. Neither is a starter for the Jets nor any other team.  They both suck, they both were terrible failed draft picks.

Geno won 8 games his rookie year.  Geno was handled poorly but yes, he is a head case and caused his own failure BUT HACK is a special kind of draft failure...

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Geno won 8 games his rookie year.  Geno was handled poorly but yes, he is a head case and caused his own failure BUT HACK is a special kind of draft failure...

It’s amazing how many fans want to use Hackenberg as a way to give Idzik a pass for Geno. Geno was awful, should have been a 4th round draft. Had the jets not taken him he wasn’t going even in the second round

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, Geno was by no means a successful pick and I'm not trying to argue otherwise.  Absolutely no one is.  However, regardless of that, he still doesn't come anywhere close to being as mind-numbingly of a stupid pick as Hack was.  All draft analysts were talking about how absurd it was from the moment it happened, and to this day there was not even a single moment that he looked even slightly competent at anything at all.  Even for all Geno's failures, and there were a great many, he did have the occasional flashes of some talent that could be seen deep down inside.  Enough to earn him at least multiple backup jobs in the NFL, even if not good enough to be a starter.

Bottom line, there are definitely a great many degrees of failures that occur in the NFL draft, and Hackenberg falls in the category of the very worst of all time.  The awfulness of that pick is only potentially beaten out by any others based strictly on any picks that were as useless he was that were selected higher, because it is quite literally impossible for anyone to be any more useless than Hackenberg.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The fact that Maccagnan wasn't similarly fired along with Bowles is one of the most unforgivable sins of the Jets' unfathomably stupid ownership yet... and that's really saying something.

Archived