Breer On Douglas Hiring

KRL

Jeremiah on his podcast saying Douglas doesn’t have a ego and great listener. He’s an offensive lineman. Believes in the trenches offensively. And in general upfront. Believes he’ll look to shore up the OL next offseason. And bring in reinforcements on the dline.

Nothing ground breaking but nice to hear. Hopefully it happens.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Joe Douglas was hired to replace Mike Maccagnan as the Jets general manager on Friday, stealing Eagles executive Howie Roseman’s right-hand man.

For the last three years, that duo had an ideal working relationship that saw Douglas taking over the Eagles’ scouting department and helping with player acquisition while Roseman dealt with the rest of it — contracts, negotiations, analytics and more. It’s a pairing that helped to build the roster that won Super Bowl LII and make the playoffs last season.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SR24 said:

Chris Johnson’s done more in two seasons than woody did in a decade lol Man this is probably the most excited I’ve ever been for a season 

It took Chris until at 2 seasons to do anything.  He has had a good offseason though firing Bowles and now hiring the new GM but it would have been great if he hired the new GM at the same time as the new HC.

Let us not forget it was Woody who set this full rebuild into motion and under Chris we had back to back losing seasons for the first time since 1995 and 1996.  That doesn't happen if he fires bowles when he should have.

27 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It took Chris until at 2 seasons to do anything.  He has had a good offseason though firing Bowles and now hiring the new GM but it would have been great if he hired the new GM at the same time as the new HC.

Let us not forget it was Woody who set this full rebuild into motion and under Chris we had back to back losing seasons for the first time since 1995 and 1996.  That doesn't happen if he fires bowles when he should have.

This post is the answer to the question asked in the other thread... how will Jet fans celebrate a Super Bowl win? 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Hindsight can be a wonderful thing. 

Yeah, two years ago, they should've cleaned house. Instead, they gave Bowles and Mac two-year extensions in an effort to appear like they were a stable franchise during their ill-fated and ill-advised plan to attract Kirk Cousins. 

But this year? They did it wrong, but got it right as a result. If novice owner Chris Johnson fires the GM and head coach, where does he turn to start making hires? Who would've been the next Korn-Casserly? Because CJ has absolutely zero qualifications to determine who has the best qualifications to be a GM or HC. Maccagnan hired his personal Brutus, and Adam Gase, in turn, is the one who attracted Joe Douglas. Jets don't hire a GM with Douglas' credentials if they're in a competition for talent. A guy like Douglas has no interest in the Jets without a guy he respects in Adam Gase as head coach. Even then, Douglas demanded -and got!- six years and a lot of money. Jets wanted to give him four, but that six year deal will give the Jets more stability than they've had in forever - provided Douglas lives up to the hype. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/10/2019 at 8:58 AM, slats said:

It's better to be lucky than good. 

Matt Rhule may've been the Jets first choice for head coach, but as a college guy with little or no NFL connections, it's probably safe to say that the Jets wouldn't've been able to attract Douglas here. Who knows where the team would be? Probably with Maccagnan still in the big chair. 

Before the team even plays a preseason down, the Gase hire already feels like a pivotal moment in team history. The Jets have a top tier front office and coaching staff for the first time since Parcells. And even then, Parcells was no great GM, and his protege, Tannenbaum, wasn't either. 

It's weird. I actually have expectations for this team. 

We have a top tier coaching staff?  I mean, I hope so (and I think there's a legit chance of it being the case) but isn't it too soon to say that?

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We have a top tier coaching staff?  I mean, I hope so (and I think there's a legit chance of it being the case) but isn't it too soon to say that?

Gase & Williams, with Boyer returning, is a massive upgrade over what this team has had in Bowles, Rodgers, and the revolving door at OC. Was I being a little hyperbolic? Perhaps. But these are guys that are very well respected league-wide, which is something different for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1