What We Know/Don't Know

BettyBoop

It's been a tough year for us Jets fans.  Even the gloomiest predictions have been surpassed.  Here are my takeaways:

We Know

• Gase will be back.  Like it or not, he's our coach in 2020.  We can only hope the light goes on in his head and he coaches us better than what he's given us so far.
  • Darnold still has a lot to prove.  Mostly everyone expected a bigger leap in year 2 but that hasn't happened.  There are many excuses (e.g., terrible OL, mono, lack of weapons) but the fact is he has not progressed and still plays sloppily.
  • Depth will be improved next year for sure.  DL, LB, TE and CB depth (not necessarily starters) will be better.  Even the OL may have adequate backups (Lewis, Harrison and Compton). 
  • Starters are needed all over the field.

We Don't Know

• Joe Douglas.  We can glean all we want about what Douglas has accomplished with the Ravens and Eagles but we don't know exactly how much say he had with either team.  We don't know what his free agent philosophy (e.g., will he go for the big fish in Scherff or second tier players?) or his draft acumen is.  If one year from today we are saying the same things about this team and roster as we are saying today, it's going to be a very long six years.
  • How involved the Johnson's will be in the day-to-day running of this team.  If they continue to meddle (i.e., allow a GM with a terrible track record to sign free agents and make all of the draft picks only to fire him a few weeks later) then no matter how good Douglas is (or isn't) this team will not succeed. 
  • Will 2020 be a full restart (i.e., trading Adams and Bell) or a year one building upon what we have.

These are fundamental questions none of us have the answers to.  It's going to be a very interesting off-season.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I know all of a sudden players under Gase in maimi are playing much better  ow that he gone.

Who knew letting players play to thier best ability was smart. Just imagine if we let sam be sam and Bel be bell. Damn a off scheme that matched out players strengths...dm I wish

Huh?   Dolphins are 3-11.  This time last year they still had a playoff hope.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, BettyBoop said:
  • Gase will be back.  Like it or not, he's our coach in 2020.  We can only hope the light goes on in his head and he coaches us better than what he's given us so far.
  • Darnold still has a lot to prove.  Mostly everyone expected a bigger leap in year 2 but that hasn't happened.  There are many excuses (e.g., terrible OL, mono, lack of weapons) but the fact is he has not progressed and still plays sloppily.
  • Depth will be improved next year for sure.  DL, LB, TE and CB depth (not necessarily starters) will be better.  Even the OL may have adequate backups (Lewis, Harrison and Compton). 
  • Starters are needed all over the field

Very hypocritical post. Starters needed all over the field. But its Gases fault they suck

In my opinion Gase has more to prove than Sam Darnold. Gase has coached several years in the NFL now. While I have seen some occasionally well-planned drives (often the first scripted one of the game) I’m not sure I’ve seen a complete game where I was totally impressed by Gase. On the other hand, Sam Darnold has already shown me over several games, not just drives, that he can put it all together at times even as a 22-year-old on a crap team.

Both still have a lot to prove but if given the choice I’d get Sam a better coach rather than Gase an upgrade at QB. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

It's been a tough year for us Jets fans.  Even the gloomiest predictions have been surpassed.  Here are my takeaways:

We Know

• Starters are needed all over the field.

We Don't Know

• Joe Douglas.  We can glean all we want about what Douglas has accomplished with the Ravens and Eagles but we don't know exactly how much say he had with either team.  We don't know what his free agent philosophy (e.g., will he go for the big fish in Scherff or second tier players?) or his draft acumen is.  If one year from today we are saying the same things about this team and roster as we are saying today, it's going to be a very long six years.
  • How involved the Johnson's will be in the day-to-day running of this team.  If they continue to meddle (i.e., allow a GM with a draterrible track record to sign free agents and make all of the draft picks only to fire him a few weeks later) then no matter how good Douglas is (or isn't) this team will not succeed. 
  • Will 2020 be a full restart (i.e., trading Adams and Bell) or a year one building upon what we have.

These are fundamental questions none of us have the answers to.  It's going to be a very interesting off-season.

one thing we do know is joe douglas isn't maccagnan.  i think everyone should have faith that he will try to get players who fit the schemes the jets will try to play.  there may be times when a dlineman is drafted with a high pick but that may be tempered by using most of the high draft on offense.

as for some of the other comments, darnold has progressed.  the oline was playing much better over the last 5 games of 2018 than they are now.  trading adams and/or bell may happen but i don't think i'd count on either being traded until the jets have a chance to evaluate the draft and available free agents.  the team can change quite a bit in a single off season.  and by the looks of things, they will have to gear up to face the bills as opposed to the patsies over the next few seasons.

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Sorry I thought it was obvious.  A couple other have played much better too

Meh, and others not so much.  Like Jay ajayi who led the Fish in rushing with a 4.9 Y/c, made alot of noise about how vauable he was,and the team throwing to much.   Was moved from the team, and I think he's out of football now..  There's others also.  Just picked him because he was a poster child for a bad team player.

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think he is talking about the players on other teams, most noteably Tanny on Tn. But Parker on Miami is having a career year. 

Tanny played well under Gase when healthy. 

Parkers numbers are up because they are always playing from behind and passing way more often. 

Drake is benefiting from a completely different team and threat of Kyler Murrays legs. 

Stills is playing with Deshaun Watson.

Tanny never played this well under Gase even when he was healthy. His talent was always questioned.  If he did, he would still be with the Fins. 

Parker is actually making plays. He caught a contested TD pass and has been given a new contract. Everyone thought he was a bust while Gase was HC. Gase practically  ran Drake off the team.

Stills is probably the least successful  of everyone you mentioned but he is pplaying with Hopkins and Fuller. He got some good games in because Fuller has been hurt. 

16 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I know all of a sudden players under Gase in maimi are playing much better  ow that he gone.

Who knew letting players play to thier best ability was smart. Just imagine if we let sam be sam and Bel be bell. Damn a off scheme that matched out players strengths...dm I wish

3-11 and they are playing better?

I am not a Gase fan, but that statement is ludicrous

Not sure where this notion that Darnold hasn't improved this year is coming from.  All of his stats are better, and that's with a complete lack of weapons.  Yes, he's been inconsistent, but I like his ability to rebound after a bad pass or bad game.  Darnold will be a very good QB for the Jets for 10+ years.  Gase will be out of the league before his Jets contact is over.