Trumaine Johnson contract.

k-met57

19 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I dont think i am the only one who doesn’t want to see him in green and white again.

do i have this right that if we cut him before his salary is guaranteed for next year, we have to eat 12m (3yr*4m in bonus money) for 2020...and thats it? No implications beyond 2020?

seems like the only logical move if so.

Tru's cap hit for next year is $15m. If Tru is on the roster as of the 3rd day of the new league year, he is guaranteed his $11m base salary. If we cut him before the 3rd day then we are paying $12m dead cap hit charge for this season.

We basically save $3m on the year by cutting Tru before the 3rd day. However I'd prefer us to designate him a June 1st cut so it spreads his money out. We'd actually save $11m if it is done that way.

19 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I dont think i am the only one who doesn’t want to see him in green and white again.

do i have this right that if we cut him before his salary is guaranteed for next year, we have to eat 12m (3yr*4m in bonus money) for 2020...and thats it? No implications beyond 2020?

seems like the only logical move if so.

Well if it makes you feel any better, that money had to hit the cap anyway whether he's kept or not. We paid it to him.

If it makes you feel even better still, he can be cut earlier as though he was a post-6/1 cut. The eventual, cumulative "dead cap" hit is the same $12MM, but for 2020 the amortized SB portion would be the same as keeping him, minus any new money/salary (and minus the player ;)).  So done that way his cap number would be $4MM in 2020 and then $8MM in 2021. Decent chance Douglas will do just this if he thinks he needs the extra cap room in 2020, but even that's not likely crucial, since he can move things around the same way with other players, especially new contracts. 

It was a bad contract from the moment it was signed, but this massive dead cap figure makes it seem even worse than it was. The team only had TJ hit the cap at $10MM and $12MM the first 2 years of what was effectively a 3 year/$45MM deal (plus 2 more team option years he was never likely to see, just so we could spread $20MM of it over 5 years instead of 3).

We didn't spend up to our max in either of the past 2 seasons, so the extra we didn't allot to Johnson was pushed to the following season in the form of a higher cap limit: we had the same $ hit the cap, but our spending ceiling the following year(s) was higher (i.e. if the salary cap is currently $200MM and a team had $10MM unused from the prior season, then its cap ceiling is now $210MM not $200MM). So if we had Johnson count more against the 2018 and 2019 caps, then that much less would be pushed forward and our spending ceiling would be reduced proportionally. It's 6 one way, half dozen the other. It's bad, because the whole contract was bad, but it's not like he hit $30MM the first 2 years and then there's another $12MM in dead cap on top of that later. 

Yes there's this dead cap hit but we don't fully feel it because our spending ceiling is higher. What we DO feel (on paper) is $34MM was spent on 2 years of Trumaine Johnson instead of leaving it for someone productive.

It would be even worse to keep him. His 3-year average pay would be lower, but who cares; money paid to him is already gone. All that matters is right now is would you pay him an $11MM salary for 2020? Of course not. Therefore he gets cut. 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If it makes you feel even better still, he can be cut earlier as though he was a post-6/1 cut. The eventual, cumulative "dead cap" hit is the same $12MM, but for 2020 the amortized SB portion would be the same as keeping him, minus any new money/salary (and minus the player ;)).  So done that way his cap number would be $4MM in 2020 and then $8MM in 2021. Decent chance Douglas will do just this if he thinks he needs the extra cap room in 2020, but even that's not likely crucial, since he can move things around the same way with other players, especially new contracts. 

But this is last year of the CBA.  In the absence of a new CBA, there is no post June 1 designation for this offseason.  We would not be able to spread the hit over two years.

• Upvote 1

Even when he made a play I hated Trumaine Johnson. His entire tenure here could be summed up in the 1st game last year when he picked off the Browns QB & then subsequently fumbled the ball getting wracked suffering a concussion & pretty much SUCKING ever since. 

This guy was BY FAR the worst free agent money thief the Jets had ever signed. Take out the games he's missed & then figure out what this azzhole made per tackle & pick and I'm sure it will blow everyone's minds. Even Gregg Williams couldn't stand looking at him & he had him with the Rams. 

So we have 2 coaches here that had head coaching experience. The Head Coach (Offensive minded), did not want Bell at that ridiculous price. The DC Williams pretty much immediately benched Trumaine (trotter) Johnson & would have cut him if he could. 

Thats Maccs tenure in a nutshell. Because Gase & Williams were both right. I think a healthy CJ Mosely (though a bit overpaid), is Gregg Williams kind of player. And Gase likes Crowder a lot. So, we did get 2 decent parting gifts From that idiot Maccagnan. When you venture into free agency, love of the game is paramount. Though Bell hasn't quit, I don't think he LOVES the game anymore. Young & hungry is the path to take. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Without purposely trying to set the franchise back it's hard to imagine how you could be so bad.

True.

But the guy was about to be minted a “Fired Failed Scout” in Houston.  No other team in the NFL would ever dream to make that Stumblebum a GM.  But our team’s owner, who would never own ANYTHING if not for his last name, is a pure idiot, the dumbest owner in the league.....and this is how something like a “Maccagnan” happens.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we're eating his money, may as well keep him unless we get cap savings.

He sucks, granted, but he can still be depth at CB for sunk cost anyway.

Cut him, eat $12 mil, then (inevitably) spend ANOTHER $12 mil on another CB? 

No thanks, all aessts for the offense, the Defense can have Tru and lump it for a one more year.    

Yes seems logical. Let him rot on the bench. Stick him in on special teams coverage and dime packages only. If we straight out cut his azz, is there any team dumb enough to put him on their roster? He’d retire with a big fat wad for doing jack sheet. Make him earn that 12 M and keep him off the field as much as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yes seems logical. Let him rot on the bench. Stick him in on special teams coverage and dime packages only. If we straight out cut his azz, is there any team dumb enough to put him on their roster? He’d retire with a big fat wad for doing jack sheet. Make him earn that 12 M and keep him off the field as much as possible. 

Johnson is always looking to make the big play but his coverage sucks.  He's the Hassan Whiteside of cornerbacks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait. Do we really have to pay this guy $12mm next year?

3rd year of a deal like this should have an easier out than that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

That just shows you how much of an idiot Macagnon was.  I understand years one and two, but to guarantee that much money in year 3 is unfathomable.  Yes, if the guy was a few years younger when he signed with us, then I can understand it.  But was he, like 29 years old when we signed him?

40 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Though Bell hasn't quit, I don't think he LOVES the game anymore. Young & hungry is the path to take. 

No RB in history would be able to run behind that OL. JD revamped it midway but it was brutal the first half of the season. Also, Bell missed a whole year. That definitely affected his game. Next year, behind a better OL, an NFL OL, and a year back from his vacation, I believe Bell will have a standout season.

Tru has not lived up to his end for sure.  I think Joe D will get it straightened out he was put into a really tough position though.  I think is done he has always had a shoulder problem and it's not getting better.  Q can't stay healthy and Mac screwed that up.  As much as I like Q as a player when playing but that's the problem.  I think his playing days are over. 

Williamson should stay on.  Roberts is iffy.  

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

But this is last year of the CBA.  In the absence of a new CBA, there is no post June 1 designation for this offseason.  We would not be able to spread the hit over two years.

Ah forgot about that one. 

It doesn't really matter either way. Then find 8MM cumulative dollars from any/all of our FA signings and have their new deals hit $8MM less in 2020 in favor if hitting more in 2021. More signing bonus/less salary; guaranteed option/roster bonus next year; whatever. 

Doesn't matter whose line item name the hits fall under. He has to have $12MM hit with or without a new CBA, and the same total dollars/guaranteed dollars are required to sign new FAs or extend our own. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

No RB in history would be able to run behind that OL. JD revamped it midway but it was brutal the first half of the season. Also, Bell missed a whole year. That definitely affected his game. Next year, behind a better OL, an NFL OL, and a year back from his vacation, I believe Bell will have a standout season.

I certainly hope your right! Darnold could benefit from having 2 good RBs that could be interchangeable. Ettienne would be nice! 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Tru has not lived up to his end for sure.  I think Joe D will get it straightened out he was put into a really tough position though.  I think is done he has always had a shoulder problem and it's not getting better.  Q can't stay healthy and Mac screwed that up.  As much as I like Q as a player when playing but that's the problem.  I think his playing days are over. 

Williamson should stay on.  Roberts is iffy.  

• Upvote 2