New Year’s Day Bowl Games Thread

T0mShane

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He did not. 

29-12 as a starter. Big kid. Good kid. Mobile. 

10,000 Yards 95 TDs 22 INTs 

He literally played the exact opposite of crap in his career, including this year. 

20200101_204126.jpg

His team has had a lot of success but I still stand by what I've seen from him this year. Big guy, big arm, but he was a dink and dunker when I watched him and could never get off of his first read. Hopefully Miami drafts him.

Just now, RobR said:

His team has had a lot of success but I still stand by what I've seen from him this year. Big guy, big arm, but he was a dink and dunker when I watched him and could never get off of his first read. Hopefully Miami drafts him.

Agree to disagree. 

You dont throw for 10,000 career yards dink and dunking in college. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Would you pick him top 10?  He ran well today, he was nothing special other than that at all.

I saw a few quotes earlier this year saying that Herbert is a “different kind of guy” off the field, implying he might not exactly be an alpha leader type. Sounds like the interview process could push him down some draft boards.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Would you pick him top 10?  He ran well today, he was nothing special other than that at all.

I think he goes to a team like the Chargers, or maybe someone takes a chance around 13 to 16.  But I don't really know what his ceiling is.  Having so many different OCs totally screwed his college potential.  Whoever gets him will have to relearn Herbert on some things.  He was really good last year but didn't have any decent receivers.  Then they took away a lot of his playbook and he's never been the same.  All the tools are there and hes extremely smart.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

How much money do these teams get paid for their bowl games?

Pretty soon these things are really going to lose their luster (and tv fan base) because of players skipping them and coaches for that matter as well.

They have already lost their luster.  Stands appear to be pretty empty for this one. 

Aside from the playoffs, these games have become exhibitions.  I would like to see the Dawgs win, but when your goals for the season are SEC Championship and playoff berth, a Sugar Bowl win just doesn't mean all that much.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I saw a few quotes earlier this year saying that Herbert is a “different kind of guy” off the field, implying he might not exactly be an alpha leader type. Sounds like the interview process could push him down some draft boards.

I hope they were referring to how intelligent he is. I'd be shocked if someone who has accomplished all he has at Oregon doesn't have leadership qualities.

The kid won the Academic Heisman. Has above a 4.0 grade through 4 years of school and plans on becoming a surgeon. He's going to get drafted pretty high in the 1st round, regardless of what we think, make millions, then go into medicine.

That's a "different kind of guy" alright.

13 minutes ago, Lith said:

They have already lost their luster.  Stands appear to be pretty empty for this one. 

Aside from the playoffs, these games have become exhibitions.  I would like to see the Dawgs win, but when your goals for the season are SEC Championship and playoff berth, a Sugar Bowl win just doesn't mean all that much.

Once they instituted the playoffs, those games became the only ones that matter.

Unless they expand from 4 teams, these games are just going to become more and more irrelevant.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Once they started the playoffs, those games became the only ones that matter.

Unless they expand from 4 teams, these games are just going to become more and more irrelevant.

I especially don't like that the playoffs started before so many of these games.  Today is completely anticlimactic after watching the playoffs on Saturday.  At least play the semi-finals on New Years so it is still a huge day in College Football.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I hope they were referring to how intelligent he is. I'd be shocked if someone who has accomplished all he has at Oregon doesn't have leadership qualities.

The kid won the Academic Heisman. Has above a 4.0 grade through 4 years of school and plans on becoming a surgeon. He's going to get drafted pretty high in the 1st round, regardless of what we think, make millions, then go into medicine.

That's a "different kind of guy" alright.

It’s counterintuitive, but (as @bitonti always pointed out) scouts get squeamish around players who are too “smart” and have interests outside of football. They want dudes who have to play or die.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

I especially don't like that the playoffs started before so many of these games.  Today is completely anticlimactic after watching the playoffs on Saturday.  At least play the semi-finals on New Years so it is still a huge day in College Football.  

Funny you say that. I had the same conversation with my nephew on Christmas Eve. He kept insisting they would be played today, and he was shocked when I showed him they weren't.

The only reason why I think they don't is to at least give the Bowls not involved that year in the playoffs a "feel" of being important by playing today. Plus the NCAA created another marquee TV money event by playing the Saturday before Jan. 1

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I could copy and paste that comment on what people were saying about Lamar Jackson pre draft lol. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s counterintuitive, but (as @bitonti always pointed out) scouts get squeamish around players who are too “smart” and have interests outside of football. They want dudes who have to play or die.

I've heard that too.

I could see it with LBs, DLs and such, but certain positions, especially QB, I'd want a guy with a good head on his shoulders.

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I've heard that too.

I could see it with LBs, DLs and such, but certain positions, especially QB, I'd want a guy with a good head on his shoulders.

But would you want a QB who’s worried that a second concussion will jeopardize his career as a surgeon and pull a Chris Borland on you?

39 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Serious question.

If you're so jaded you want to see a team lose because other people have said their HC is good, why do you watch sports?

Is it to watch people fail?

Or do you enjoy telling people they're wrong?

As with anyone and everyone on this board... its enjoying telling people they are wrong. We all do it in fun. It's an internet message board. That's what it's for. 

If you need, I can take the reigns for your high horse while you watch the game. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But would you want a QB who’s worried that a second concussion will jeopardize his career as a surgeon and pull a Chris Borland on you?

That's a good point. This conversation made me think of when Rosen came out two yers ago, and people wondered how much "he loved the game" because he came from a wealthy family.

This isn't only a NFL or "pro level" thing either. Years ago I played baseball for a school in the Northeast. We'd train and play down in Florida for the first month or so of our season. We had tutors who traveled with us to help with our school work. Forget the fact that at best, the coaches treated them like a necessary evil, they would give eye rolls when they saw a player bring a book on the team bus.

It was a D-1 school, but it wasn't like we were loaded with MLB level prospects. The smart ones knew that, took the hazing and got our degrees on time. 

• Upvote 1