If Zach Thomas is a HOFer

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

There are a number of things keeping him out, sadly:

1. Was never singularly dominant.  He was extremely good and rock solid, but he wasn't a larger-than-life Warren Sapp.  Linemen respected him as a trenches guy, he was never famous per se.

2. Played almost all before Sacks were counted/a stat.  Stats drive HOF resumes.

3. Played as part of a famous unit with big personalities.  Mark Gastineau and his personality will forever shadow Lunchbox Joe Klecko and diminish him in many (media) eyes.

4. Never played a single position, and the ones he did play, not glamorous.  Nose Tackle, D Tackle, D-End, he was good at all of them, but that's not a plus in many eyes.  Some see him as a role player fill-in guy, as opposed to a guy so good and dominant at ONE spot he had to be kept there.

5. Convicted Felon.  Not popular (I hear) with media during or after his career.

6. Time.  Few remember him nowadays outside Jets Fan land.  Far too much time has passed now, and today's media and voters may as well be talking the 1950's when the talk the 1980's.  Joe played over 30 years ago now.  

I think Joe Klecko IS a HOF'er. But I do not think he ever will be voted into the HOF.  The time where that was possible has passed.

I would add steroids, but if his connection to taking them were a problem, none of the lineman of the 70s/80s would be in Canton.

This is a good read: 

A Closer than Usual Look at Joe Klecko and Mark Gastineau's HOF Resumes

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Hall of Fame is meaningless. 

That is all. 

I'm not getting the thread title and this first post. It's not like he just got voted in.....he's only a finalist that will never sniff enough votes. 

Good player.....not a great player and it's not even close.

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm not getting the thread title and this first post. It's not like he just got voted in.....he's only a finalist that will never sniff enough votes. 

Good player.....not a great player and it's not even close.

What's not to get? If Zach Thomas is a Hall of famer, the HOF is meaningless.  

Pretty straightforward.  

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What's not to get? If Zach Thomas is a Hall of famer, the HOF is meaningless.  

Pretty straightforward.  

You're leaving out the part that he's not a Hall of Famer. He's only a finalist just like the hundreds of other players that were listed as finalists and never made it.

If he gets voted in.....then you'd have a point.

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I lived in SoFla for most of his career. He was idolized by the FloGrown crowd down here and belongs in the "Hall of Undersized White Guys who overachieved in sport and have a cult Following".

People act like a guy who made his living tackling RBs 4+ yards beyond the LOS is Derrick Brooks or Derrick Thomas.  Please. Hes DeMario Davis but with tenure. 

The worst comments and criticism of players I've ever heard.  He tackled 4 yards off the line.  Yeah, where 99% of all tackles are made.  

The last time I heard it was in regards a LB of ours who was dumped to Pittsburg.  

He was a really good player, a pick JJ was routinely credited with for drafting him.

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Zach Thomas played his entire career in the internet era.

He was already 10 years into his career by the time youtube launched in 2005 (When the internet had fast enough speeds to actually handle streaming video) and he retired after the 2008 season, a few years before Gamepass launched in 2012 and you can watch all games up to that point. And I never thought to go back to watch Zach Thomas highlights specifically. Usually I come across individual players by watching the team play...such as on Gamepass. 

I guess I should have clarified. That's on me. ?

On 1/3/2020 at 7:17 AM, rangerous said:

zach thomas in the hof?  the guy was a good player but didn't dominate his position like klecko or even winston hill.

Winston Hill was much more dominating than Klecko.  Go look at the SB tape.  The most dominating player on the field.  Klecko was always border line at best.  Too many players at his position who were as good, better or played on championship teams.  Hill was a wrecking machine against what at the time was thought to be the best D in NFL history.  He blew it up in a championship game.

Zach Thomas was better than Harry Carson who got in.  He was absolutely a dominating middle linebacker for several years.  

Zach passed the eye test and has the numbers.  Personally I think there are way to many players in the HOF but based on the Hall of very good that it's turned into Zach should go in.