Darnold and JD

jgb

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.”

Almost makes me think commitment to Darnold for first full season was as a condition of the job. But if Darnold puts up Sanchez numbers again in 2020 I do believe it’s adios and JD moves forward with “his guy.”

Really strange that no one questions Darnold place.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 15
  • WTF? 6
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s actually strange. Almost always when a new GM comes in, the previous high drafted QB is on thin ice “not his guy” “new GM wants to put his stamp on organization.”

Almost makes me think commitment to Darnold for first full season was as a condition of the job. But if Darnold puts up Sanchez numbers again in 2020 I do believe it’s adios and JD moves forward with “his guy.”

Think you just did. ?

• Sympathy 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

So I'm no one to you?

I guess that's one less batch of quarantine cookies to make.

You are an astute fan. Nothing in national media even contemplating that JD wants to "move forward with his guy." Can't think of another situation like this. I'm sure there must've been some but can't think of any.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Do you really think that a guy like JD would leave a stable, successful, winning organization like the Eagles to come to this sh*thole if he at least didn't think he has a QB? C'mon, you are so much better than this.

Maybe, I don't know. Still think that's fool's gold. How many times has a QB performed poorly due to "bad situation" and suddenly become a stud later? Stud QB's elevate those around them.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Darnold would likely be the first overall pick in this draft and he would have been the first overall last year easily. I get that Darnold has had his struggles, but he’s not a mush.

Yeah he would be first. But his career so far has been "meh." Can't think of a QB who went from "meh" to elite. Elite QBs elevate those around them. Darnold hasn't.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold would likely be the first overall pick in this draft and he would have been the first overall last year easily. I get that Darnold has had his struggles, but he’s not a mush.

I dunno. Qbase and PFF both ranked Kyler Murray better, and Kyler Murray had a better rookie campaign than Darnold has in either of his first 2.

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

Although a lot of guys will disagree with you the fact remains that if Darnold doesn't progress this season the FO will have to start thinking about the next steps.  At that point he'd be 2 years away from making a ton of money even if he's just a slightly above average QB. You're talking $20-$25 million.  They'd be reckless not to look at all options at that point. That doesn't mean he'd be gone after next year but you'd have to start looking at contingencies. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but he’s also 5’8” and will be a Kansas City Royal in five years

haha, but I think Mahommes, Watson and LJ are redefining what a QB is "supposed" to look and play like. Doubt Kyler Murray goes #1 as recently as 5 years ago. Plus Kyler was Kingsbury's guy from day 1

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't understand the skepticism with Darnold.

It's fair to delay judgment, but I don't understand the serious thought 'he might not be our guy'. 

LOL, I guess just the 'sanchez numbers again' line annoyed me. If Darnold had that o-line and Thomas Jones, or hell, even one of these three: Santonio, Braylon, Keller or J Co (Jerricho would be the best receiver on this team right now...) - I'm not we could even conceivably have this discussion.  

That said, I understand that in some respect, I'm making excuses. But like most things in life, context matters.

Anyways, no offense, just that Sanchez comparison ticked me off. 

It's possible both the OL and Darnold are not good. Every QB who played behind a bad OL isn't automatically an elite QB in in disguise. Luke Falk played behind same OL. Maybe he's a stud we need to give him a better supporting cast!

I don't understand those who are not skeptical of Darnold. Been a Jets fan too long to count chickens before the eggs hatch. 

Verify then trust when it comes to this team.

• Thumb Down 3

Just now, jgb said:

Maybe, I don't know. Still think that's fool's gold. How many times has a QB performed poorly due to "bad situation" and suddenly become a stud later? Stud QB's elevate those around them.

Totally agree with you on this. I will admit, I worry about Sam becoming the guy we are all hoping for. The Dolphin game in Miami, the Pats game at home, are games where he looked like the Frosh HS QB who got the call to start for the varsity 5 mins before game time. Then you watch the Cowboy game, the Raider and Giants games, the Rookie games against GB and Houston, and you swear we have the guy. I remember hearing Billick on the radio at the end of last season, and he said Bill Walsh always said you know about a young QB after 25 starts. Well, we're there. As an eternally optimistic Jets fan, going into season 42 of tickets, I look at the good I've seen, coupled with the real lack of OLine and WR's, and I tend to think Sam is the guy. But, there is enough to give you pause. That said, I fully believe JD believes in Sam.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally agree with you on this. I will admit, I worry about Sam becoming the guy we are all hoping for. The Dolphin game in Miami, the Pats game at home, are games where he looked like the Frosh HS QB who got the call to start for the varsity 5 mins before game time. Then you watch the Cowboy game, the Raider and Giants games, the Rookie games against GB and Houston, and you swear we have the guy. I remember hearing Billick on the radio at the end of last season, and he said Bill Walsh always said you know about a young QB after 25 starts. Well, we're there. As an eternally optimistic Jets fan, going into season 42 of tickets, I look at the good I've seen, coupled with the real lack of OLine and WR's, and I tend to think Sam is the guy. But, there is enough to give you pause. That said, I fully believe JD believes in Sam.

Still have hope for Darnold. He's had a terrible supporting cast. But as a now old Jets fan, not going to fall for anything that isn't proven. Any Darnold has achieved nothing thus far.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

haha, but I think Mahommes, Watson and LJ are redefining what a QB is "supposed" to look and play like. Doubt Kyler Murray goes #1 as recently as 5 years ago.

It’s a good question, though. You’re a GM, team is static, who would you rather have as your QB for the next five years: Darnold or Murray? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

haha, but I think Mahommes, Watson and LJ are redefining what a QB is "supposed" to look and play like. Doubt Kyler Murray goes #1 as recently as 5 years ago. Plus Kyler was Kingsbury's guy from day 1

The NFL is not changing that much.  LJ and Watson will not make it through their 2nd contract bc of injuries.  Once the legs go those types of QB's always get exposed just like Cam has been. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, choon328 said:

The NFL is not changing that much.  LJ and Watson will not make it through their 2nd contract bc of injuries.  Once the legs go those types of QB's always get exposed just like Cam has been. 

Rather had a QB who "gets exposed" after an MVP season than a never-was putting up Sanchez numbers, without Sanchez team results.

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah he would be first. But his career so far has been "meh." Can't think of a QB who went from "meh" to elite. Elite QBs elevate those around them. Darnold hasn't.

The offence was world's better with Sam than Trevor or Luke.(I know, not saying much)

Just now, jetstream23 said:

You can send Emeril Lagasse into a McDonald's kitchen and ask him to come out with a 7-course gourmet meal, but I don't think it will happen.

Let's get Darnold some ingredients on offense and then assess whether or not he's a good cook.

Totally fair to say he hasn't had help. But again, that doesn't mean he's automatically great. He's at best, an incomplete, which is a disgusting waste of the first two years of a rookie top-5 drafted QB.

Those who want to go cheap this year make no sense. We need to pay whatever it takes to get a cast around him so we can properly evaluate him once and for all.

Just so happens that most first-round QBs flop. So I'm still betting flop. Sorry.