2021 Draft

maury77

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'll stick to this until proven otherwise; Smith>Chase>Waddle to start the year. (though admittedly I have spent enough time on Chase)

I dug in a little on my scotch fueled weekends lately on the alabama foursome as the year went on, Smith was their WR1, and the best of the 4. Teams confided after that fact that it was Smith they had to stick CB1 on and was worried about beating them consistently on down and distance... He worked over Stingley like a dirty shirt - and he might be the best corner in college football.

Now we're talking about 4 (on the same team, my goodness) potential blue chip WR prospects, so... let's be fair about the talent gap being small, but his hands and natural ability at the position is near elite; (I see Isaac Bruce). Guys like Ruggs and Jeudy may put your team on the highlight reel on sunday nights, but Smith will consistently put Ws in the standings - is kind of my facetious way getting my point across.

All just IMO

I think we both agreed that didn't have as strong a campaign as he did down the stretch in his freshman year.... still loved the prospect though

My biggest concern with Smith is his build.  He is listed at 175 but he probably isn’t even 170.   They have been trying to put weight on him since he stepped foot on campus.   He’s legit though, no doubt.  The NFL isn’t kind to WRs who are under 180 lbs though.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RobR said:

Not many arguments here because I love Smith as a prospect and I've said it over and over every week. My thoughts are that when all is said and done, Waddle will be the better pro. He might be shorter than most but he's electric with the ball in his hands and a true ankle breaker. Hopefully we get a season too see who is wrong and who is right.

And Chase is better than Smith.....he's freakish and would have went top 10 this year. We'll see how he fares without Burrow.

God i hope there's ball to played this fall.... it's been a rather tedious year. Football would be a welcomed escape more so than other years.... and there's so many interesting stories to follow this year at the big table... new QBs across the board sauf Clemson. 

Anyway, like @sec101row23 mentioned, his frame is the question mark (Smith).... very anxious to see how things playout with him and Waddle. Boldin 2.0?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

He may be this year, but if you listen to the guys around Bama’s program, he isn’t as explosive as Ruggs is.  He doesn’t posses the top end speed Ruggs has and isn’t close when it comes to the vertical leaping ability.  Ruggs also plays with a little more toughness to his game, Waddle has to show a little more of that IMO to avoid having that finesse tag hung on him.  

We’ll see, he will have every opportunity to show off his skill set this year.   He should be targeted a lot.   

Just going by my eye test but I thought he was the most explosive player at Bama, Ruggs included. Not sure why you don't think he has top end speed, just watch that video. He turns the corner and within a blink of an eye he has 5 yards of separation. That's what I call high end speed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

very anxious to see how things playout with him and Waddle. Boldin 2.0?

Nothing like Boldin IMO. He's built thickly but not nearly as big as Boldin. He's also about 10x faster.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RobR said:

Nothing like Boldin IMO. He's built thickly but not nearly as big as Boldin. He's also about 10x faster.

I'm open to being wrong/switching it up. I wouldn't dare say i've watched either player not named Smith enough to be righteous in my opinion

Boldin wasn't huge coming out of FSU, was he? Speed wise though, yea... Waddle's fast. 

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm open to being wrong/switching it up. I wouldn't dare say i've watched either player not named Smith enough to be righteous in my opinion

Boldin wasn't huge coming out of FSU, was he? Speed wise though, yea... Waddle's fast. 

Boldin has a couple of inches and way more than a few pounds on him when he came out. Their respective games are not even similar so I'm not getting the comparisons. Waddle is a guy that will crush the combine. For comparison  sakes, I would go with a TY Hilton but much thicker and more twitchy. His second and third gear is impressive.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

Just going by my eye test but I thought he was the most explosive player at Bama, Ruggs included. Not sure why you don't think he has top end speed, just watch that video. He turns the corner and within a blink of an eye he has 5 yards of separation. That's what I call high end speed.

I’m not saying he isn’t fast, but he isn’t going to be sub 4.3 or over 40” vertical.   Ruggs combination of speed and explosion is rare, Waddle doesn’t posses those traits.   He’s built well though, for a guy who is sub 5’10” he’s probably around 180-185 lbs.  

Was just looking up some older Waddle stuff, seeing pics of him in Long horn gear i'm assuming before he fully committed to bama -- bunch of senior HS shots.... man, do these kids and their bodies just transform in 3 years.. it's insane. Sometimes I think we overlook just how much is physically happening to these kids between the age of 17/18 and 21... and that's before the whole stacking and filling out your frame phase starts. 

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Was just looking up some older Waddle stuff, seeing pics of him in Long horn gear i'm assuming before he fully committed to bama -- bunch of senior HS shots.... man, do these kids and their bodies just transform in 3 years.. it's insane. Sometimes I think we overlook just how much is physically happening to these kids between the age of 17/18 and 21... and that's before the whole stacking and filling out your frame phase starts. 

Waddle is from Texas, he was offered by pretty much everyone and came down to Bama and Texas AM.   Since I follow this college recruiting a lot, you start to see these kids when they are Sophomores and Juniors in HS.  It is interesting watching them grow from recruitment, to when they commit and then when step foot on campus.  The DE’s and Edge rushers are the ones who really transform themselves IMO.   I see a ton of really good edge defenders step on campus at around 225 to 230 lbs, and in 3 years they are drafted at 255-270 lbs.  

The college strength and conditioning programs are practically year round now, it’s insane how much these kids work.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Waddle is from Texas, he was offered by pretty much everyone and came down to Bama and Texas AM.   Since I follow this college recruiting a lot, you start to see these kids when they are Sophomores and Juniors in HS.  It is interesting watching them grow from recruitment, to when they commit and then when step foot on campus.  The DE’s and Edge rushers are the ones who really transform themselves IMO.   I see a ton of really good edge defenders step on campus at around 225 to 230 lbs, and in 3 years they are drafted at 255-270 lbs.  

The college strength and conditioning programs are practically year round now, it’s insane how much these kids work.  

yea you're right... its almost comical seeing some of these kids at 18 listed as DE/OLB and then 2 years later - the fcking hulk lol. 

• Upvote 1

I’m firmly on the Waddle train. He’s got more to his skill set than Smith. Smith’s tape looks like Rugg’s - long developing crossing routes, slants to the house. That’s well and good but I don’t like it for the future. Waddle shows a more diverse skill set. Not as fast but shiftier, shows the ability to stack on his routes and get open using more than just Alabama’s overwhelming talent and scheme.

Ja’Marr Chase looks like the truth. There’s not much more to say about him.

Pro Football Focus notes that Alabama senior WR DeVonta Smith had the most catches with 10-plus yards after the catch among returning wideouts for the 2020 season.

Smith ended up picking up 29 catches where he was able to add 10-plus yards after the catch. The only player who came close to that total among returners was Louisville's Tutu Atwell, who had 26 for the Cardinals in 2019. It's scary to think how good Smith was last year (68-1,256-14) when you think that he was playing in an offense with Henry Ruggs and Jerry Jeudy; both of whom were first-round picks this April. Jaylen Waddle and a host of other highly-recruited players will get theres, but Smith appears to be the top option in this passing attack. The question is who will be throwing him the football. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 7:19 PM, sec101row23 said:

If we are picking in the 15-25 range (I think this team can win 8 games), is Etienne worth the pick?

Ive read he would be ideal for a one cut/zone scheme like SF runs and similar to what Gase tries to run, so fit in the offense would matter so it would partially hinge on Gase being the HC in 2021, but Etienne seems explosive enough and a good enough receiver to be worth considering for this team as a late first round pick.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, BCJet said:

If we are picking in the 15-25 range (I think this team can win 8 games), is Etienne worth the pick?

Ive read he would be ideal for a one cut/zone scheme like SF runs and similar to what Gase tries to run, so fit in the offense would matter so it would partially hinge on Gase being the HC in 2021, but Etienne seems explosive enough and a good enough receiver to be worth considering for this team as a late first round pick.  

That’s a good question.  Middle of the first might be a little rich for me personally.   As far as fit goes, he’s exactly what the Jets need.   I’d have to see who else might be available there and how some of the current players develop this year.   

On 7/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, BCJet said:

I’ve been thinking about this. After CEH went in the first round there’s no shot Etienne gets to round 2, so yes, if we pick anywhere after 15 I wouldn’t mind taking him. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 4:20 PM, sec101row23 said:

Ohio State will put another 35 pounds on that kid before he leaves.  

insane the size of these kids coming out.  Im in New Jersey and one of the parochial schools just got a 16 year old transfer that if you saw a picture of him looks like an NFL linebacker NOW.  It's literally the most insane thing ive ever seen and I have been coaching a while. 

Following up watching some waddle film and smith stuff while i have time with our season pushed back.  Interesting thing when you watch waddle run he's got an incredible ability to cut off his inside foot sometimes especially when in the open field.  Gotta watch games and see if he's able to do it on routes.. So far the only guy ive seen do it consistently on routes is Julio Jones, who for my money is far and away the most talented WR in the game today.  What that guy can do physically running routes is literally out of this world if you know the body mechanics of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

insane the size of these kids coming out.  Im in New Jersey and one of the parochial schools just got a 16 year old transfer that if you saw a picture of him looks like an NFL linebacker NOW.  It's literally the most insane thing ive ever seen and I have been coaching a while. 

Following up watching some waddle film and smith stuff while i have time with our season pushed back.  Interesting thing when you watch waddle run he's got an incredible ability to cut off his inside foot sometimes especially when in the open field.  Gotta watch games and see if he's able to do it on routes.. So far the only guy ive seen do it consistently on routes is Julio Jones, who for my money is far and away the most talented WR in the game today.  What that guy can do physically running routes is literally out of this world if you know the body mechanics of it. 

What school did that kid transfer to?