Pundits & Fans Complaining About WR's - UG !!!

All I have heard and read for weeks was select a tackle in the first and grab a WR in the 2nd.  Done and Done!

After that it was about filling in some of the holes we have including for depth too.   We need a younger back, we need another QB, we needed a CB and edge rusher and we needed more depth in the secondary with the Jamal and Mayes situation.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quality rebuttal.  This is the type of rebuttal you get the day after the draft when a person says Darron Lee ad Hackenburg suck.  The same people that praise the shi* out of every jets move then scream hindsight three years from now.

Douglas had a decent draft, not picking another Wr was not smart.  Hell he should have picked one of the udfa wrs he bright in if they thought they were great.

Maybe he knew that, with such a deep WR class, there would be plenty of quality UDFA's he could turn to?

Without a 7th round pick, its hard to get a "jump" on the other teams on UDFA guys you like, but it looks like he did a fine job there.

A 2nd round pick on a WR is solid draft capital used.  Seems to me that JD was going with a quality over quantity approach in the draft.  Clearly he didn't value a lot of the "name" receivers as much as people here did, because there were several interesting names at WR each time we picked, and he passed every time.  

Know who else passed on a lot of these WRs despite having a pretty big need for one?  The Packers.  They didn't take a single one in this draft class.  

It's worth noting the 2021 WR class is going to be pretty deep too.  

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Of those 5 combined SBs not a single one is won without those 3 players. 

that's a pretty silly statement.  not a single one of those superbowls would've been won without eli, montana, or roethlisberger either.  your point?  max magee was still drunk when he led the packers to a win in sb1.  larry brown won the mvp (i think) in the cowgirls victory over the steelers.  the great receivers like isaac bruce were effectively shut down when the patsies met the rams.  i don't think larry fitzgerald had a very good day during his superbowl appearance.  the list goes on and one.  a single receiver can be usually be negated in every game.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that's a pretty silly statement.  not a single one of those superbowls would've been won without eli, montana, or roethlisberger either.  your point?  max magee was still drunk when he led the packers to a win in sb1.  larry brown won the mvp (i think) in the cowgirls victory over the steelers.  the great receivers like isaac bruce were effectively shut down when the patsies met the rams.  i don't think larry fitzgerald had a very good day during his superbowl appearance.  the list goes on and one.  a single receiver can be usually be negated in every game.

Except that the 4-5 SBs I presented, the WR wasnt negated at all and Santonio Holmes and Jerry Rice make up 4 of the top 10 greatest WR performances in Super Bowl history, and 2 Superbowl MVP performances between them. Literally two superstar WRs winning those games. That doesnt mean other players didnt also win those games.

Sure maybe some SuperBowls other recievers were shut down, but certainly not all of them and its idiotic to dismiss it otherwise. 

It's a team sport. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Douglas wasn't getting any more value in selecting a WR in round 6, then he got with Cager in UDFA

How do you know this?  I think everyone would agree, even the naysayers, that Antonio Gandy Golden, Quez Watkins, Tyler Johnson, Juan Jennings to name a few, have all demonstrated to be better football players up to this point then Cager.   

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

How do you know this?  I think everyone would agree, even the naysayers, that Antonio Gandy Golden, Quez Watkins, Tyler Johnson, Juan Jennings to name a few, have all demonstrated to be better football players up to this point then Cager.   

I suspect Douglas isn't one that feels that way.   Neither do I.

No offense but I'll go with Douglas

49 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Except that the 4-5 SBs I presented, the WR wasnt negated at all and Santonio Holmes and Jerry Rice make up 4 of the top 10 greatest WR performances in Super Bowl history, and 2 Superbowl MVP performances between them. Literally two superstar WRs winning those games. That doesnt mean other players didnt also win those games.

Sure maybe some SuperBowls other recievers were shut down, but certainly not all of them and its idiotic to dismiss it otherwise. 

It's a team sport. 

whatever.  the point is holmes had hines ward to hide behind.  as for rice,  he was a great receiver.  holmes, tyree couldn't hold his jock strap.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Our WR Corp. is indeed one of the worst in the NFL.  This really isn't debatable outside the usual homer contingent.

With that said, Douglas did the best he could given how the draft fell, and he's taking chances on big-upside guys in the UDFA WR pool, so we're going to have a lot of bodies to pull the best 5 or so from.  Can't fix everything in one year, but Douglas seemingly has done a good job trying to at least band-aid every need in one cycle.  I'm pretty happy with him, the draft, and the UDFA's so far.

But yes, till shown (in games) otherwise, our WR Corp. has to be considered weak.  Lets hope the kids we DID get help change that.

Wouldn't say Mims, Perriman, and Crowder are weak, but if any get long term injuries we need Smith, Berrious, Dotson, or Cager(if he makes the team) to step in a starting role and not have a whole lot of dropoff or we are in trouble at WR. That is why the 2 positions we need more at in FA at this point is WR and probably Edge rusher since we don't have enough at that position moreso than probably any position on the field.