Pundits & Fans Complaining About WR's - UG !!!

Ok... Since last season ended, all of us have been saying, and rightfully I might add, that job one for the Jets was fixing the O-Line.  We all know a smart administrator builds a football team from the inside out. All other priorities rescinded.  OL, OL, OL, OL !!! More OL...

So... JD fixes the line.  In FA there was a very nice balance between adding manpower for the line and keeping it economical.  No foolish contracts that will strap them for cap space a year or two from now. In the draft, JD adds an exciting player in Beckton and takes another versatile interior offensive lineman later in the draft.  So there, you have it.  Not only a what should be a working offensive line, but some depth too.  And all in a single off season.

And what do I hear when I turn on sports radio today ???

"JD didn't do a good job... The Jets don't have any WR's"

Really ??? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 5

Don't take what the banana brains on the radio say to heart. It's entertainment after all.

You know more about this team and the holes it has better that any kid /"expert" on the radio. Just because they put a mike in front of them don't make them a pundit.

JD addressed the needs of this team in one draft more than Macc di in 3 years. Are we suddenly Super bowl contenders this season? No. But we're better. Thems the facts.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Yes... I wanted to get up on a soap box... There should be one respective thread for each fan or pundit that is pissing and moaning about not having any WR's

Well if everyone got to start a thread about what they are unhappy about there would be way to many threads.  Do what I did find one that is already relevant to your complaints, and post away.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Had we taken Jeudy, they would say the OL is still broken. Can't  win

The WR issue is going to come down to GASE.  IMHO, there are no more excuses left for him.  The line is fixed and his QB is no longer a wet behind the ears Rookie.

If GASE is the offensive mastermind he was billed at, he should be able to scheme production.  There are no big name stars, but there is PLENTY of pass catching manpower for him to work with.

1. Crowder, Mims, Perriman, Doctson, Enunwa, Berrios.  Add Griffin and the Return of Herndon and RB Bell that is great out in the pattern.

There is PLENTY of hands and feet there for an offensive brain trust to generate production with.  

Especially now with a VERY revamped offensive line <wink>

Remember what Greg Williams did with marginal talent at several spots last year ???

Time for GASE to put up or … Bye... 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The WR issue is going to come down to GASE.  IMHO, there are no more excuses left for him.  The line is fixed and his QB is no longer a wet behind the ears Rookie.

If GASE is the offensive mastermind he was billed at, he should be able to scheme production.  There are no big name stars, but there is PLENTY of pass catching manpower for him to work with.

1. Crowder, Mims, Perriman, Doctson, Enunwa, Berrios.  Add Griffin and the Return of Herndon and RB Bell that is great out in the pattern.

There is PLENTY of hands and feet there for an offensive brain trust to generate production with.  

Remember what Greg Williams did with marginal talent at several spots last year ???

My only worry os that Gase doesn't know what to do with a WR like Mims. Parker was an afterthought on Miami while he was there and he had a breakout season when he was gone. I kind of feel Mims is a similar WR. 

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

My only worry os that Gase doesn't know what to do with a WR like Mims. Parker was an afterthought on Miami while he was there and he had a breakout season when he was gone. I kind of feel Mims is a similar WR. 

After his performance in FA and the draft, I dare say we have quality at the GM spot.  If Gase cant figure out what to do with Mims, JD will know what to do with Gase...

This is going to be a defining season for Gase.  If they don't get substantial offensive production, there are no longer any excuses.  The Jets were dead last in offensive production last year.  Gase gets a pass because the line was one of the worst the Jets have ever fielded and it was his first year.

Not the case now... PLENTY of horses for the offensive line.  If it does not gel, it is because they are not being put in the right places to succeed.  

There is a QB that is VERY talented.  

There is a RB that has a full tank of gas and the proven ability to be a league leading rusher and one of the best pass caching backs in the league.

You have two TE's, BOTH who were demonstrating ability to produce...

No more excuses for Gase...

If the Jets offense is at the bottom of the pack this year, we all know why...

Ya dig ???

• Upvote 2

Let’s be honest some will always bitch when it comes to the Jets.  It’s almost like a rule now lol.  The Jets has a lot of holes to fill.  OL was the biggest need in around 1.  What good is drafting WR if you have no time to throw to them?  We also had needs at corner which we addressed and getting another RB.  You can’t fix everything or double dip in one draft with the amount of holes we had. Douglas did a really good job but it’s gonna take at least one more solid draft.  Pundits/Critics will always be there but we are headed in a good direction 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas overall had what seems to be a very good draft.

Douglas also made a big mistake in not adding another Wr in the later rounds.

He put all of his eggs in the Mims basket when it was not necessary to do so.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thumb Down 1

It's a valid criticism.  Good draft class or not, it was an insanely deep class at one of their biggest positions of need.  Using just 1 pick out of 10 is bad IMO.

Just becuase the class isn't viewed as absolutely perfect in every way doesn't mean it wasn't a good draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I completely agree.

TO BE FAIR THOUGH, 

After they took Becton and Mims, the Jets ended up (thanks to JD) with A LOT of draft picks . They used one of them on a Safety, one on a QB, one on a RB, 2 on CBs (one was traded for a CB), one on Edge, one on a Punter, one on another OT. All were needs and/or can be explained and have their own reasons but at any point JD COULD have decide to add another WR. And he didn't. 

So I can see how the local media will overreact after only one WR was taken. 

Personally, I'm okay with that. I'm looking at who they added as UDFAs in Cager and Campbell and I like the total group of receivers the Jets have at this juncture (with a lot of vets still going to be cut as rosters slim down to 53). 

Remember, the Jets carried 5 WRs last year. Assuming they carry 6: Crowder, Mims, Perriman are locks. That leaves 3 spots. 

They just signed Doctson and he has NFL experience. They have V.Smith, Berrios and Bellamy from last years 53 man roster. They have Chesson, Hatcher and J.Smith from last years PS. And like I mentioned the UDFAs Cager and Campbell.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Quality rebuttal.  This is the type of rebuttal you get the day after the draft when a person says Darron Lee ad Hackenburg suck.  The same people that praise the shi* out of every jets move then scream hindsight three years from now.

Douglas had a decent draft, not picking another Wr was not smart.  Hell he should have picked one of the udfa wrs he bright in if they thought they were great.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Would I have preferred adding another receiver in the late rounds? Yeah, probably.

Am I going to really fault Douglas for going another route? No.

I’d rather have a potential pro-bowl punter for the next decade over a late round extra body to add to the likes of Vyncint Smith, Josh Doctson and Braxton Berrios.

Hell, you could argue that a guy like Cager would’ve had a draftable grade if not for the injuries.

• Sympathy 1

You almost get the sense that the fourth round was when Douglas let Gase pick his favorites.

A slowish RB who is a good soldier, followed by a smart QB with perhaps mediocre skills, both of whom probably met Gase before when he was in Florida.

Follow that with Jabari-another Florida guy.  

I guess in the end none of the WRs in the 4th and 5th rounds were beating out the bottom of our WR room.  There is Crowder, Perriman, Mims....and then Smith, Doctson, Berrios, hopefully DT and some other veteran cast offs.  WRs tend to develop slower.

Davis was obviously the BPA at a position where there was not a cost effective option in 2021.  

Jabari had elite athleticism but not elite production.  A bit of a surprise pick for JD. 

I think JD may have had too late a night on Friday and started the Saturday draft a little groggy.  

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Quality rebuttal.  This is the type of rebuttal you get the day after the draft when a person says Darron Lee ad Hackenburg suck.  The same people that praise the shi* out of every jets move then scream hindsight three years from now.

Douglas had a decent draft, not picking another Wr was not smart.  Hell he should have picked one of the udfa wrs he bright in if they thought they were great.

This. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Ok... Since last season ended, all of us have been saying, and rightfully I might add, that job one for the Jets was fixing the O-Line.  We all know a smart administrator builds a football team from the inside out. All other priorities rescinded.  OL, OL, OL, OL !!! More OL...

So... JD fixes the line.  In FA there was a very nice balance between adding manpower for the line and keeping it economical.  No foolish contracts that will strap them for cap space a year or two from now. In the draft, JD adds an exciting player in Beckton and takes another versatile interior offensive lineman later in the draft.  So there, you have it.  Not only a what should be a working offensive line, but some depth too.  And all in a single off season.

And what do I hear when I turn on sports radio today ???

"JD didn't do a good job... The Jets don't have any WR's"

Really ??? 

I think the point is both things can be true.  I think Douglas did a nice job in addressing the OL but could have done more to help the receiving corp.  It's not a binary view.  Both can be true.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas overall had what seems to be a very good draft.

Douglas also made a big mistake in not adding another Wr in the later rounds.

He put all of his eggs in the Mims basket when it was not necessary to do so.

Douglas wasn't getting any more value in selecting a WR in round 6, then he got with Cager in UDFA

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I was never too concerned about our receivers or obtaining a true #1 WR.

Reason: Great wrs don't win Super Bowls. We're better off with a bunch of good ones.

And if we did get a truly elite WR, not sure I want to pay them Amari Cooper money ($20 Million/year).

Thats just not true

One could argue Santonio Holmes and David Tyree are the exact reasons at least 2 Superbowls were won. 

And dont forget Jerry Rice had 3 stellar performances that helped SF win 3 SuperBowls.(500 yards 7 TDs) 

Two great WR and one good WR

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

good points.  true they still don't have that no. 1 guy like keyshawn or edwards or coles but they a lot of guys who know how they catch the ball.  as long as the wr's are good enough to present an honest deep threat i'm not that concerned.  imo it was more important to get the oline and even the db's straightened out.  this is what douglas did do.

Just now, JTJet said:

Thats just not true

One could argue Santonio Holmes and David Tyree are the exact reasons at least 2 Superbowls were won. 

And dont forget Jerry Rice had 3 stellar performances that helped SF win 3 SuperBowls.(500 yards 7 TDs) 

Two great WR and one good WR

tyree???????  he made a great and lucky catch.  as for holmes, wasn't hines ward the other receiver?  heath miller was also on that sb winning team.  holmes was a little bit protected.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points.  true they still don't have that no. 1 guy like keyshawn or edwards or coles but they a lot of guys who know how they catch the ball.  as long as the wr's are good enough to present an honest deep threat i'm not that concerned.  imo it was more important to get the oline and even the db's straightened out.  this is what douglas did do.

Yes... Consider... New England has been a very productive team on offense.  Effective and efficient. How many big name star diva bit ticket big contract WR's does New England usually carry ???  Zero.  They have system cogs.  Rout runners...

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

tyree???????  he made a great and lucky catch.  as for holmes, wasn't hines ward the other receiver?  heath miller was also on that sb winning team.  holmes was a little bit protected.

The Steelers win big games at the last minute because the officials stop calling holding penalties on their offensive line when they need the long drive followed by a score.  THAT is how they won that Super Bowl...

There also should have been a flag thrown on the long interception run back by the Steelers at the end of the first half... It was glaring...

Remember the AFC Championship game between the Jets and Steelers ??? The Jet defense could not get  the stop they needed in the 4th quarter.

Go back and watch that Steeler drive and keep all eyes on their offensive line.  You'll see enough holding to toss out all the yellow laundry on the planet.

Officials know they get goodies in their stocking for Christmas if the do the "right thing" for the NFL Brand Name Franchises with national fan base.

F**K the little SQUEELERS and their cheap blue collar tuff guy brand image façade *AND* the bacillus that is their front-funning national fan base. 

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

This is a semantic argument. The other players dont diminish what either guy did. 

Its widely regarded that Pittsburgh won that SuperBowl due to Holmes tiptoe catch in the endzone. 9 for 131 and literally the game winning TD. Ward had 2 catches for 40 yards. And Miller 5 for 57. He was absolutely dominant that game. 

It's also widely regarded that New York won that SuperBowl due to Tyree's helmet catch. Hell its even been dubbed "the catch". Easily the greatest catch in SB history by a country mile. 

And please try to attempt an argument against Jerry Rices 3 SB performances. 

Of those 5 combined SBs not a single one is won without those 3 players. 

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The Steelers win big games at the last minute because the officials stop calling holding penalties on their offensive line when they need the long drive followed by a score.  THAT is how they won that Super Bowl...

There also should have been a flag thrown on the long interception run back by the Steelers at the end of the first half... It was glaring...

Remember the AFC Championship game between the Jets and Steelers ??? The Jet defense could not get  the stop they needed in the 4th quarter.

Go back and watch that Steeler drive and keep all eyes on their offensive line.  You'll see enough holding to toss out all the yellow laundry on the planet.

Officials know they get goodies in their stocking for Christmas if the do the "right thing" for the NFL Brand Name Franchises with national fan base.

F**K the little SQUEELERS and their cheap blue collar tuff guy brand image façade *AND* the bacillus that is their front-funning national fan base. 

You lost all credibility in the argument with this angle. Sorry have a good day. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Well if everyone got to start a thread about what they are unhappy about there would be way to many threads.  Do what I did find one that is already relevant to your complaints, and post away.

With what is happening in the world today the more threads about the Jets the better.