Just re-watched Jets/Dolphins wk 14 from last season

6 hours ago, Vader said:

Mosley Williams Adams and Maye Together form Voltron. 

Best middle of the field defense in the NFL.

If Mosley and Avery Williams start all year this is a top 3 defense. Trumaine Johnson is addition by subtraction and the Dline is strong. Adams and a healthy Maye form a powerful safety duo and the slot is covered with Poole. 

Add Davis in there as a true free safety and if Ryan Logan accepts that he's not worth the big $$$ contract and signs at JD terms the D will be awesome. With or without Jamal. GW will design a kick butt D.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 7:14 AM, pdxgreen said:

Williams was a force when he got a good jump and drew a lot of double teams.  I think his conditioning wasn't quite up to snuff last year and that combined with the speed of the game hurt him a bit.  Think he is due for a huge jump in production this year.

Michael Nania (who is a must follow on twitter for any Jets fan) did a good write up on Q's strengths and weaknesses.  He has excellent play strength but really needs to learn technique, specifically his get off.  Nania showed frozen frames of Q and McClendon and how much faster McClendon was off the snap.

If he can improve the technical aspects of his game, he is going to be an excellent player.

• Sympathy 1

On 6/13/2020 at 12:57 AM, Vader said:

Mosley Williams Adams and Maye Together form Voltron. 

Best middle of the field defense in the NFL.

If Mosley and Avery Williams start all year this is a top 3 defense. Trumaine Johnson is addition by subtraction and the Dline is strong. Adams and a healthy Maye form a powerful safety duo and the slot is covered with Poole. 

Mosley in week 1 looked like Lawrence Taylor the first 3 quarters 

if he comes back and is 75% he would be nasty

On 6/13/2020 at 8:46 AM, BCJet said:

Michael Nania (who is a must follow on twitter for any Jets fan) did a good write up on Q's strengths and weaknesses.  He has excellent play strength but really needs to learn technique, specifically his get off.  Nania showed frozen frames of Q and McClendon and how much faster McClendon was off the snap.

If he can improve the technical aspects of his game, he is going to be an excellent player.

They lined him up Nose last season which is mind boggling 

• 7 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 10:23 AM, Doggin94it said:

DT is a position that is notoriously tough for rookies and the good ones generally improve a lot from year 1 to year 2, so being pissed at Sheppard for a down rookie year and discounting what he did year 2 is silly. As usual, Aaron Donald is an outlier (9 sacks his rookie year), as were Ndomukong Suh (10 sacks, 66 tackles) and DeForest Buckner (73 tackles, 6 sacks) but here's what the other recent 1st and second team All-Pro DTs from 2016-2019 did their rookie years:

Cam Heyward: 11 tackles, 1 sack

Grady Jarrett: 24/1

Fletcher Cox: 39/5.5

Calais Campbell: 29/0

Damon Harrison: 0/0

Geno Atkins: 16/3

Gerald McCoy: 26/3

Separately, does that mean Quinnen Williams (28/2.5) is destined to be an All-Pro, because his rookie stats are basically a clone of McCoy's? No, of course not. But it does mean nobody should be looking at his rookie year stats and thinking they mean he won't be, either. You don't judge DTs by rookie years.

Given how absolutely outstanding Quinnen was this year, I thought it was worth updating this post. Quinnen's stats this year, from Pro Football Reference: 55 Tackles, 10 TFL, 7 sacks, 14 QB hits. Here's how the recent All-Pro DTs did in year 2:

Aaron Donald: 69/22/11/37 (seriously, he's otherworldly)

DeForest Buckner: 61/5/3/22

Ndamakong Suh: 36/6/4/9

Cam Heyward: 20/4/1.5/6 (Heyward was a bona-fide bust heading into year 3)

Grady Jarett: 48/4/3/9

Fletcher Cox: 41/4/3/9

Calais Campbell: 47/8/7/18

Damon Harrison: 66/7/1/1

Geno Atkins: 47/10/7.5/18

Gerald McCoy: 11/3/1/3 (Also a straight up bust heading into year 3)

This is an exciting list. Quinnen's closest statistical comps are Campbell and Atkins, who are HOF caliber players, and Q is probably a little better than them against the run. The sky really is the limit for this kid, and if I were the Jets I'd consider him absolutely untouchable as a trade asset unless it's for a near 1 for 1 swap for Watson. He's not Aaron Donald, but he's on track to be the second best DT in the NFL

38 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Given how absolutely outstanding Quinnen was this year, I thought it was worth updating this post. Quinnen's stats this year, from Pro Football Reference: 55 Tackles, 10 TFL, 7 sacks, 14 QB hits. Here's how the recent All-Pro DTs did in year 2:

This is an exciting list. Quinnen's closest statistical comps are Campbell and Atkins, who are HOF caliber players, and Q is probably a little better than them against the run. The sky really is the limit for this kid, and if I were the Jets I'd consider him absolutely untouchable as a trade asset unless it's for a near 1 for 1 swap for Watson. He's not Aaron Donald, but he's on track to be the second best DT in the NFL

yeah i wouldn't be throwing quinnen williams in on any trades that also included the #2 pick. 

On 5/11/2020 at 3:05 PM, Drums said:

I think we are going to be a lot better this year. I expect us to punch some people in the mouth. I fee like we got faster and tougher this offseason. 

Sadly, the only people we punched in the mouth last year was ourselves. :D  

On 2/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, Doggin94it said:

Great post and thanks for the stat breakdown. Fully agree- Quinnen should not be traded in any deal especially with us moving to a 4-3 and him being the key to that defense

Breakout age is super important. I think you would find this a-lot more interesting if you did this by age as it may be a more relevant comparison. For example some college players stay for a redshirt and when they are 22 they are dominating 18-19 yr olds. On the other side when a player comes out early they are sometimes not fully developed while facing full grown men with years in the weight room. 

No need to post the stats here. Just go look for yourself at this list by age. You're going to be alot more excited for Quinnen if you do.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Couldn't believe how many people were down on QW after what he put on film as a rookie.  Perfect example as to how you can't use a stat line to show how well a player is or is not playing.

There is a good amount of totally negative fans here.  I mean the expectations for him were high as a rookie bit he played that entire season injured.  I think Williams will be the most dominant DL In the league at some point. 

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

There is a good amount of totally negative fans here.  I mean the expectations for him were high as a rookie bit he played that entire season injured.  I think Williams will be the most dominant DL In the league at some point. 

I mean, Aaron Donald is 29. So he probably has what, another 3 years of prime left? At which point Q will be 26.

So yeah, it's coming