Just re-watched Jets/Dolphins wk 14 from last season

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There is no doubt in my mind that GW saw a guy that needs to step it up on the conditioning front & Gregg Williams is no Todd Bowles. 

He proved last year he'll sit anyone's azz down on the bench & believe me, nothing does more to push a top athlete than NOT PLAYING with the ones. Most of these guys have some pride (Trumaine excluded) and they know damn well G Williams just will not accept anything but their best effort. 

I believe if the CB group can rise up, this defense could have a Seattle type rise. This will be a 4 quarter defense now with the depth they've built. If Zuniga & Huff can develop as part time pass rushers, the sky is the limit. Four big young aggressive dudes up front in QW, Shepard, Foley & Phillips, along with the Veteran McClendon is a damn good group to keep that next level of good LBs & Safeties clean to flow to the ball. 

One thing I like about the Jets defense is the overall quality.  While there may not be a ton of "name players."  The depth is actually pretty good now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

55 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Williams was a force when he got a good jump and draw a lot of double teams.  I think his conditioning wasn't quite up to snuff last year and that combined with the speed of the game hurt him a bit.  Think he is due for a huge jump in production this year.

He has strength and ability that you can't teach and should be a very good player.

If conditioning is the issue though, thats scary, because who knows what he has had access to for the last 2 months?  A lot of guys could have got caught without the weights and nutrition options they need, lets hope its not our guys

• Upvote 3

Just now, BCJet said:

He has strength and ability that you can't teach and should be a very good player.

If conditioning is the issue though, thats scary, because who knows what he has had access to for the last 2 months?  A lot of guys could have got caught without the weights and nutrition options they need, lets hope its not our guys

Ever notice that he fell down a lot when he was taking on the blocker?  Hi balance was a key issue... not his effectiveness.  That was due to being gassed under that much NFL game play.

• Upvote 1

Nice write up. I’ve been watching some games as well. I agree about D Thomas. We should bring him back. I don’t believe our WRs are what held Darnold back last year. Obviously would be nice to have more talent at that position. But it really was all about the OL. They were awful last year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Is that the game that Bell was out so Gase went out of his way to try and feature Powell to show the Bell was the problem and Powell averaged a whopping .3 ypc better than Bell and everyone was like, OMG, Powell is 10x better and faster than Bell.  Look how much better he is?!?!?!?!

I do remember Robby going off that game and I'm with you, bringing back DT would be a solid idea.  I dont love the idea of just having Crowder as the only reliable receiver.  Smith has exciting potential, this was the game he came up with that huge sideline catch and run on the last drive, no?   Still there is lot of faith being put into the Perriman/Docston/Smith's of the world, including a rookie which just doenst seem all that safe. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Williams was a force when he got a good jump and draw a lot of double teams.  I think his conditioning wasn't quite up to snuff last year and that combined with the speed of the game hurt him a bit.  Think he is due for a huge jump in production this year.

Agree. Hopefully Goodell’s suspension isn’t too harsh he already screwed us with that schedule 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

A few thoughts after watching week 14 again:

- Q. Williams is going to be a beast

- Bringing Demaryius Thomas back wouldn't be the worst idea.  Still a decent enough player to contribute and a solid vet.  Far from first choice, but could do worse.

- Vyncint Smith has some giddy-up with the ball in his hands.  Anxious to see what he can do if Gase gets him more involved.

- Steve McClendon might be the most underrated Jets player I've ever seen.  Damn good player and the real leader of this defense IMO.

- Not enough credit given to Tarrell Basham and the strong finish he had to the season.

- Really hope they don't regret opting for Perriman over Robby.

- After a nice start to his career I had high hopes for Brandon Shell.  The guy legitimately seemed to get worse every year...WTF?

- We've forgotten about Nate Hairston too easily.  Was good more often than he was bad last season.  Could be nice depth piece.

- Shepherd and Phillips will be better than some of the D-lineman that cost a 1st round pick.

I agree with everything you said for the last part. I’m done with Shepherd. 

• WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Shepard was pretty good against the run last year.  At least he was at least in the games I re-watched recently.  He seems to at least get hitting the gap when somebody sticks their hips there.  But I agree with you, considering where he was drafted, he's been a major disappointment.

Shell come out in 2016.  His first season was under Gailey.  He played under 4 different OCs in 4 years.  Most people would consider that an excuse, but I think that Gailey gave him a ton of help - covered him with TEs, etc.  I think that as the years went on and he got less help he became more exposed.  Gase in particular doesn't seem to run the kind of scheme designed to help bad linemen look good.  More spread it out and get rid of it.

Hairston was in Gregg Williams' doghouse quite a bit. His usage does not indicate that they like him very much.   I was hopeful that related to them trying to keep the conditional pick low, but I read somewhere that Williams got mad and benched him over something or other.  I think the way Williams uses CBs is very different than Rex and Bowles.  I think he asks less of them, but when they screw up the assignments he gets super pissed and moves on.  I think the odds are that Hairston doesn't make the team.  Canady was certainly ahead of him and they let that guy walk for peanuts.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ghost said:

To each his own, but the guy was well above average more times than not in this, just his second season.  He was a big part of the success the D-line had IMO.

• Upvote 3

Not from the Miami game but we saw this from Shepherd a few times this season after nothing like it in year 1.   Strong push puts the center in Jackson's lap and he has to get rid of it earlier than he'd like to, forcing the incomplete pass.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 3

Have been meaning to post a thread, but this seems a good spot to note this! If you use YoutubeTV as your tv provider and 'followed' the Jets last season - they still have the whole season available. 

I watched our wins against the Cowboys, Raiders and started the Giants yesterday and it was great! Highly recommend. 

• Upvote 3

So, this offseason, we’ve talked about how the poor OL impacted the production of Bell and Darnold. One position group that hasn’t been analyzed is our WR. WR more than any other position relies on the quality at another position (in this case QB). RB production reliance on OL play might be the one position that’s more dependent.

Jamison Crowder had a nice year but here are the game average splits with Darnold under center:

With Darnold: 5.4 rec/game, 58.3 yrds/game 

Without Darnold: 2.7 rec/game, 25.0 yrds/game

Robby:
With Darnold: 3.4 rec/game, 51.6 yrds/game

Without Darnold: 2.7 rec/game, 36.0 yrds/game

D Thomas only played 11. The one game he played without Darnold he was non existent. With Darnold, 3.5 rec/game, 43.4 yrds/game. 

Jamison in particularly was heavily effected by the drop in QB play. Had he played 16 games with Darnold, we are talking about a guy who would be around 86 catches and 925 yards. Robby was also effected as his yards per reception dropped by 2 yards. With Darnold 15.3 and without 13.5.

We didnt and still don’t have a proven #1 but I think we would be singing a different toon if Darnold had stayed healthy even with the horrendous play of our OL. Crowder played like a solid number 2, Robby a 3, and Thomas a 4.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

Not from the Miami game but we saw this from Shepherd a few times this season after nothing like it in year 1.   Strong push puts the center in Jackson's lap and he has to get rid of it earlier than he'd like to, forcing the incomplete pass.

could be the juice lol he did have a strong return though from suspension

14 hours ago, Jetster said:

There is no doubt in my mind that GW saw a guy that needs to step it up on the conditioning front & Gregg Williams is no Todd Bowles. 

He proved last year he'll sit anyone's azz down on the bench & believe me, nothing does more to push a top athlete than NOT PLAYING with the ones. Most of these guys have some pride (Trumaine excluded) and they know damn well G Williams just will not accept anything but their best effort. I believe if the CB group can rise up, this defense could have a Seattle type rise. This will be a 4 quarter defense now with the depth they've built. If Zuniga & Huff can develop as part time pass rushers, the sky is the limit. Four big young aggressive dudes up front in QW, Shepard, Foley & Phillips, along with the Veteran McClendon is a damn good group to keep that next level of good LBs & Safeties clean to flow to the ball. 

Literally LOL'd when I got to this part. So happy he is gone

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

te open, qb  misses way behind. nuthn to do with the d.

• WTF? 2

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

- Bringing Demaryius Thomas back wouldn't be the worst idea.  Still a decent enough player to contribute and a solid vet.  Far from first choice, but could do worse.

- Vyncint Smith has some giddy-up with the ball in his hands.  Anxious to see what he can do if Gase gets him more involved.

- Steve McClendon might be the most underrated Jets player I've ever seen.  Damn good player and the real leader of this defense IMO.

- Not enough credit given to Tarrell Basham and the strong finish he had to the season.

- After a nice start to his career I had high hopes for Brandon Shell.  The guy legitimately seemed to get worse every year...WTF?

- We've forgotten about Nate Hairston too easily.  Was good more often than he was bad last season.  Could be nice depth piece.

- Shepherd and Phillips will be better than some of the D-lineman that cost a 1st round pick.

I have one thought about this post. And it is that this should be a blog post!

Good stuff.  :)

15 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Have been meaning to post a thread, but this seems a good spot to note this! If you use YoutubeTV as your tv provider and 'followed' the Jets last season - they still have the whole season available. 

I watched our wins against the Cowboys, Raiders and started the Giants yesterday and it was great! Highly recommend. 

Watching the games vs. the Cowboys, Giants, Raiders and Redskins would have you think the Jets were actually a very good team last year.  They were certainly Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde quite often.....beating the Cowboys, losing to the Bengals.  But let’s not forget that this team lost a game it shouldn’t have in Week 1 vs. Buffalo, and then rattled off 3 losses with no Sam Darnold.  They were a respectable 7-5 after that.

Tougher schedule this year but I think the trajectory if upward for this franchise, mostly because of Darnold and Douglas.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

te open, qb  misses way behind. nuthn to do with the d.

Couldn't disagree more.  Everything about his mechanics says he was working around the pressure coming from Shepherd.  He's literally leaning forward, away from Shepherd, as the ball comes out and his feet, instead of pointing toward his target, are off to the side where he is leaning.  The ball also comes out very quickly and at an awkward angle.  He got rid of it before he wanted to.  That helps disrupt an offense.

I pretty much agree with everything. I will add ONE thing which really popped out to me and I'm not sure how it didn't make your list and that is how well Bilal Powel played in that game in a starting role. He all but dominated. 

As far as Hairston, I'm 50/50 on him. Even in this game, where he got an INT and a sack (a great game for him) he made some pretty bad mistakes, missing an easy tackle giving up a huge play and some big catches. If he doesn't step up or set himself apart in camp or preseason I'd be fine moving on from him. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I pretty much agree with everything. I will add ONE thing which really popped out to me and I'm not sure how it didn't make your list and that is how well Bilal Powel played in that game in a starting role. He all but dominated. 

As far as Hairston, I'm 50/50 on him. Even in this game, where he got an INT and a sack (a great game for him) he made some pretty bad mistakes, missing an easy tackle giving up a huge play and some big catches. If he doesn't step up or set himself apart in camp or preseason I'd be fine moving on from him. 

You're right.  Bilal looked very good in this game, but with the exception of wondering why Shell got worse every year, this was basically looking at what the team has to work with moving forward.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 6:38 AM, AFJF said:

The only thing I will disagree with you on is in bringing back Demaryius Thomas.  It's time to move on and get young.  I wouldn't cut a young prospect wide receiver with potential to bring back a wide receiver who won't be here when this team gets good.  I would rather lose more games this year and try to bring on some young new talent.

Mosley Williams Adams and Maye Together form Voltron. 

Best middle of the field defense in the NFL.

If Mosley and Avery Williams start all year this is a top 3 defense. Trumaine Johnson is addition by subtraction and the Dline is strong. Adams and a healthy Maye form a powerful safety duo and the slot is covered with Poole. 

• Upvote 1