2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So the Mets made that deal for Rich Hill. ?

Hope they still add another arm or two.  But they got a guy who has pitched and pitched well in big spots in the past, without giving up much.  Not knowing what we are going to get out of Carrasco and Syndegaard, when and if they come back, also with the uncertainty around deGrom & Peterson, this is a nice inexpenseive move.  I hope there is still another move or two to come, but this is a good start.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Lith said:

Hope they still add another arm or two.  But they got a guy who has pitched and pitched well in big spots in the past, without giving up much.  Not knowing what we are going to get out of Carrasco and Syndegaard, when and if they come back, also with the uncertainty around deGrom & Peterson, this is a nice inexpenseive move.  I hope there is still another move or two to come, but this is a good start.

Megill with another solid start. Rojas said that he’s not going anywhere. Megill is #5 starter, Hill #4, Walker #3, Stroman #2 and deGrom our ace.  With deGrom, Carrasco uncertainty coming we need 1 - 2 additional  starters to get us through the season. 
DH w/ Braves on Monday.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Megill with another solid start. Rojas said that he’s not going anywhere. Megill is #5 starter, Hill #4, Walker #3, Stroman #2 and deGrom our ace.  With deGrom, Carrasco uncertainty coming we need 1 - 2 additional  starters to get us through the season. 
DH w/ Braves on Monday.

Very impressed with what we have seen out of Megill so far.  Really happy for him that he didn't have to wait long to pick up his first MLB W after the bullpen blew his last chance.  I am cautiously optimistic about Megill, but I still would like to see how he pitches when teams see him a second time.

• Upvote 1

Walker had a 2nd straight poor outing. Toronto is an offensive juggernaut and tough to hold down on 2 consecutive nights. Hoping Hill can keep them off balance and confused all night at the plate. 

Need deGrom back ASAP!

Best possible result last night was Braves beating Phil’s. Still up 4 games. 

One point about Alonso. After 2020 and a slow start power wise this season doubts started arising on whether 2019 was a one time deal and he could ever be a high 30-50 Hr guy. But in recent weeks he’s looked like the 2019 Alonso and he’s up to 22. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, Lith said:

Very impressed with what we have seen out of Megill so far.  Really happy for him that he didn't have to wait long to pick up his first MLB W after the bullpen blew his last chance.  I am cautiously optimistic about Megill, but I still would like to see how he pitches when teams see him a second time.

Gotta love the composure of Megill. He is the anti-Matz.

In regard to seeing teams a second time, of his 6 starts, 2 have been repeat appearances against the same club.

June 23 ATL. 4.1 IP, 2ER

June 29 ATL 5.0 IP, 3 ER

July 10 Pit. 3.2 IP, 1ER

July 17 Pit. 6 IP, 0ER

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

One point about Alonso. After 2020 and a slow start power wise this season doubts started arising on whether 2019 was a one time deal and he could ever be a high 30-50 Hr guy. But in recent weeks he’s looked like the 2019 Alonso and he’s up to 22. 

And he’s actually developed an eye at the plate. Working deeper in the count, going the other way….. I’m impressed. He’ll never hit .300+ like Vlad but he’ll be a consistent 35-45 HR guy.

Vlad is a machine. Big series win over a loaded Toronto team. Springer got razzed all series. He must regret signing with Toronto 

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He looks really comfortable right now.  It's exciting.  He's keeping us alive in every game since the break basically and the timely hitting has put them over the top.  Fun team to watch right now.  They never seem out of it, which is such a refreshing change.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Walker had a 2nd straight poor outing. Toronto is an offensive juggernaut and tough to hold down on 2 consecutive nights. Hoping Hill can keep them off balance and confused all night at the plate. 

Need deGrom back ASAP!

Best possible result last night was Braves beating Phil’s. Still up 4 games. 

I think Walker has hit the wall. If Jake is ok and we can add another starter, I would be ok going with Jake, Stroman, Hill, new guy and McGill, and giving Walker a few weeks off.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Gotta love the composure of Megill. He is the anti-Matz.

In regard to seeing teams a second time, of his 6 starts, 2 have been repeat appearances against the same club.

June 23 ATL. 4.1 IP, 2ER

June 29 ATL 5.0 IP, 3 ER

July 10 Pit. 3.2 IP, 1ER

July 17 Pit. 6 IP, 0ER

Some players even ones not considered big time prospects are just good baseball players and when given the opportunity they produce. So far Megill is in this category. They keep bringing guys up and some don’t perform. This guy has!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, section314 said:

I think Walker has hit the wall. If Jake is ok and we can add another starter, I would be ok going with Jake, Stroman, Hill, new guy and McGill, and giving Walker a few weeks off.

The same was being said about Stroman up until last week. All pitchers hit a wall at some point in a season. Particularly this year, when they are coming off a year that was unlike any other.

Important to note, Walker has pitched 27 more innings this year than he did in the previous 3 years combined. He can be excused if he is coming off a dead arm period, which all pitchers go through at least a couple of times per year. For now, you have to ride him out.

The Mets need him. He is a big bodied guy that is not afraid to put innings and pitch totals in. Right now, at least for the next 2 weeks, the Mets need that.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

PITCHERS

A. Loup 1 inning 0 runs

Familia1 inning 0 runs

A. Banda 1 inning 0 runs

We need arms!

I don't even know how you manage through today's game. Managing this team right now is 4D chess.  If they somehow even take 3 out of 5 in this series it will be an achievement. Hopefully then, they get Carrasco back for at least 4 innings, deGrom shortly after that, in addition to another starter.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't even know how you manage through today's game. Managing this team right now is 4D chess.  If they somehow even take 3 out of 5 in this series it will be an achievement. Hopefully then, they get Carrasco back for at least 4 innings, deGrom shortly after that, in addition to another starter.

Agreed. We take 2 of the next three, we would gain a  game on Braves, and knock off 5 more games on schedule. Darling made a funny, but good point last night about these bullpen games in the 7 Inning DH’s. You can pretty much pinch hit for the pitcher every at bat.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

PITCHERS

A. Loup 1 inning 0 runs

Familia1 inning 0 runs

A. Banda 1 inning 0 runs

We need arms!

Sandy MUST get off his azz and get a quality SP in here before the trade deadline. Hill barely lasted 5 innings and was exhausted and didn’t even have a high pitch count. The uncertainty of deGrom, Cookie and Thor require us to go get a guy like Berrios. If not, then they are just giving up on the season. No way this team goes far in the playoffs, even if they get in with the current status of our SP’s. Last night, relievers. Yea ok. Absurd. How many games have we done this. Tonight Yukoff. You gotta be kidding. This guy is done, finished, scrub of the year. How they are in 1st place is an utter mirage and will not last long. Phillies are gaining momentum, breathing down our necks. Wake up from your nap Sandy. Friday is just around the corner.

10-1 Braves in 4th inning. If I went to the park today I’d be really really really pissed off paying to see Yukoff, this scrub pitcher, who they released last week, get smacked around like a piñata ?. Just totally unacceptable.  F this. Good night to start binging on The Walking Dead ? Never got around to ever watching it. 

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

10-1 Braves in 4th inning. If I went to the park today I’d be really really really pissed off paying to see Yukoff, this scrub pitcher, who they released last week, get smacked around like a piñata ?. Just totally unacceptable.  F this. Good night to start binging on The Walking Dead ? Never got around to ever watching it. 

Last night was a punt on the game by the Mets. Thankfully, the schedule should not have any more of these.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Last night was a punt on the game by the Mets. Thankfully, the schedule should not have any more of these.

Thankfully we have Tylor Megill going today.  Which are words I never would have imagined I would utter when the season began, or even a month ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yea hopefully we dont miss the division or wildcard by 1 game.  There's been a number of games that we pretty much went into with a slim chance to win due to the injuries by the pitching staff.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Thankfully we have Tylor Megill going today.  Which are words I never would have imagined I would utter when the season began, or even a month ago.

Who's Tylor Megill? I never even heard of this guy 5 weeks ago. He has come in and basically rescued the season and gave us a chance in the games he's started vs. pitches like Yukoff and company.  And he's getting better as he goes along. Looks like we may have stumbled upon a gem under a rock.

Happening all around baseball, not only the Mets.

I doubt any team has played musical chairs as much with their pitching staff as the Mets. It’s remarkable we are still in 1st place with an ace who pitches P/T, our #2 and # 3 who haven’t thrown a pitch all season and now our #5 whose out for the year. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

I doubt any team has played musical chairs as much with their pitching staff as the Mets. It’s remarkable we are still in 1st place with an ace who pitches P/T, our #2 and # 3 who haven’t thrown a pitch all season and now our #5 whose out for the year. 

I checked on 2 other clubs that I know have burned through pitchers, their situation is pretty comparable to the Mets:

Mets-16 pitchers to start a game

Marlins-15 pitchers to start a game

Dodgers-14 pitchers to start a game.

Again, I only checked those three teams, as I know they had burned through a bunch. It is an epidemic throughout the game. The Mets may be at the highest extreme, but not by much.

I checked on 2 other clubs that I know have burned through pitchers, their situation is pretty comparable to the Mets:

Mets-16 pitchers to start a game

Marlins-15 pitchers to start a game

Dodgers-14 pitchers to start a game.

Again, I only checked those three teams, as I know they had burned through a bunch. It is an epidemic throughout the game. The Mets may be at the highest extreme, but not by much.

Yea but none used bums like Stock, Yukoff and relievers to start like 20 games. I’ve never seen anything like this. Even in 1987, when the Pitching staff fell totally apart, it wasn’t this torn up. 

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Megill throws another 5.1 innings of 5 hit 1 run ball w/ 6 k

What a valuable piece he’s been for our staff. Almost at the point where Cookie and deGrom get back. 
Nats Phil’s ppd. due to 12 cases of COVID. Vaccinated or not? Will be interesting 

• Upvote 3