Jump to content

2021 New York Mets Thread


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Bad Luck, sucks to hear it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31934790/new-york-mets-plan-sign-top-pick-kumar-rocker-concerns-physical-exam-sources-say

Barring a drastic change between now and the 5 p.m. ET signing deadline, the New York Mets do not plan to sign right-hander Kumar Rocker, the 10th overall pick in the amateur draft, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.

Rocker, 21, whose dominance at Vanderbilt made him the most well-known college player in perhaps a decade, had an agreement in place to sign for $6 million after he slipped down draft boards earlier this month. But the deal fell apart following his physical examination, and multiple sources said they do not expect a revised one to come together before the deadline.

The possibility of the Mets and Rocker coming to an 11th-hour agreement always exists, and past deals that looked dead were eventually consummated. But the momentum in recent days, and the expectation of multiple sources, is that the Mets are unlikely to change their stance.

If Rocker does not sign, the Mets would receive the 11th pick in the 2022 draft as compensation. It is unclear whether Rocker will return to Vanderbilt or pursue an alternate path, such as pitching in an independent league before reentering the 2022 draft or signing with an international league.

Wow…. Going without a 1st round pick this years puts us a year behind in developing a top end starter. So next year we’ll have two 1st round picks?

I expect Rocker/Boras to come down on their demands and this gets done. They and the Mets have too much to lose. That is unless those x-rays are a big red flag.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a new era, and time to leave the stench of the threads that were controlled by the Wilpons. Let's start anew. LFGM!!!

Love this.  Just gotta make sure we can extend Lindor beyond 2021.

I'm more than ok signing a player who offers 80% of what JT brings to the table at a 50% discount and less years. Now use those savings on Springer and Bauer, extending Conforto and beefing up bullpen

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wow…. Going without a 1st round pick this years puts us a year behind in developing a top end starter. So next year we’ll have two 1st round picks?

I expect Rocker/Boras to come down on their demands and this gets done. They and the Mets have too much to lose. That is unless those x-rays are a big red flag.

Next year you get 2 first rounders.   The 11 next year may he better, easier to scout after a more normal year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Next year you get 2 first rounders.   The 11 next year may he better, easier to scout after a more normal year.

Still a lost year developing a premium player. Scouting Rocker wasn’t an issue as he has a lot of tape available 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Next year you get 2 first rounders.   The 11 next year may he better, easier to scout after a more normal year.

Risky move by Boras/Rocker with Delta variant on the rise. Who knows whether there will be a season or not. Best to get your money now

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m so sick of Stroman. While he’s a decent pitcher, his ego is just through the roof. He is so full of himself and NEVER takes any kind of responsibility. It’s just comical. He has no humility whatsoever. Get rid of this clown. There’s no way this bum is worth 20M per year. It would be a colossal mistake to resign him. He’s constantly running this silly gangsta nonsense. Sooner or later he’s going to get his block knocked off.  Our SP staff is in need of some serious turnover. It’s just littered with players trying to recover from serious injuries. Out top 3, deGrom, Thor and Cookie are just question marks. All are great pitchers but you just can’t rely on these guys and you just don’t know what you’re going to get out of them throughout the year.  At this point going into next year, you have Walker and Megill. Everyone else is up in the air. Now their #1 pick, Rocker has elbow concerns. Wow. You can’t make this sh*t up. Hard pass- take the 2022 pick. I don’t like signing guys like this. Cookie is under contract as is Walker. We can only hope they come through and they will have to risk deGrom and you know they will. Thor I believe is FA. Do you invest in a guy that’s coming off a serious injury and hasn’t pitched in 2 years, what a conundrum! So as it stands RIGHT now for next year, and excuse me for projecting, it’s Megill. Walker, deGrom and Cookie. Sandy will need to make a tough decision on Thor and find another ace. They have to. It’s not even debatable. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Now their #1 pick, Rocker has elbow concerns. Wow. You can’t make this sh*t up. Hard pass- take the 2022 pick.

Mets Do Not Sign Kumar Rocker

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2021/8/1/22605017/mets-news-2021-draft-rocker-boras-sign

In what can only be regarded as a disaster, the Mets were unable to come to an agreement with their first round pick, Kumar Rocker. Though the two sides initially agreed to a deal quickly, medical issues arose that caused the Mets to seek a lower signing bonus. The team expressed concern about Rocker’s pitching elbow after a physical evaluation last week. Rocker and agent Scott Boras - who issued a statement denying the Mets’ health allegations - did not back down, however, and the deadline passed at 5 PM today with both sides locked in a stalemate. 

Landing Rocker with the tenth overall pick set the Mets up for one of the biggest draft coups in recent memory. One of the most dominant pitchers in college baseball history, Rocker was often in the conversation for the first overall pick leading up to the draft. Inconsistent velocity ultimately pushed him down the board a little bit, but he was still far better than the tenth prospect on the draft board on talent alone. Clearly, the Mets agreed; they structured their entire draft around Rocker, staying at or below slot with the remainder of their picks in order to promise Rocker a $6 million signing bonus, roughly $1.3M over the slot value of the tenth overall pick. 

This isn’t an uncommon practice under the current draft system. Typically, a team will use one of their first three picks on a player demanding well above the slot value, then use the remainder of their picks on underslot picks, essentially reaching for lesser talent to save money and add it to the signing bonus for the main target. The Mets themselves pulled this off in 2019 to land Matthew Allan in the third round for well above slot. 

Critically, most teams will also draft a backup option or two, picking a couple of expensive prep players in the later rounds (which don’t contribute to signing bonus pools) that they can pivot to should something go wrong with their main target. For some reason, the Mets neglected this crucial step, giving them nowhere else to spend the money they had allocated to Rocker once medical concerns had cropped up.

Because of this, failing to sign Rocker is particularly egregious. The money saved on other picks that was supposed to go to him cannot be reallocated in any meaningful way. It’s an inconsequential amount in free agency, and international free agents - the primary alternative avenue to the draft for adding amateur talent - has it’s own pool restrictions. Put simply, unless Rocker’s arm needs to be amputated, there’s almost no way burning this pool money is worthwhile, even if the Mets do recoup the 11th pick in next years’ draft as compensation. 

With the richest owner in baseball, the Mets can afford the financial risk of signing a draft pick that may not work out. This is especially true because the draft is always such a crap shoot, and because there’s no guarantee that the arm issue will prevent him from being a productive pitcher for the Mets. 

So, to recap; the Mets selected lesser talent through the draft in order to save money and give it to Rocker. They drafted no potential insurance players who they could pay as an alternative should things go wrong. They then got scared over Rocker’s medicals and backed out of the deal, burning $1.3M in slot savings in the process. Unless the eleventh pick in next year’s draft is worth more than Rocker (it almost certainly will not be), this is a disaster that accomplished nothing aside from saving the team what should be an inconsequential amount of money to a baseball team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I can think of is the Mets offering TWO #1 picks this off-season for a young controllable stud with 2 years remaining. Any thoughts on this scenario? Mets in win now mode. Looking for established stud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The only thing I can think of is the Mets offering TWO #1 picks this off-season for a young controllable stud with 2 years remaining. Any thoughts on this scenario? Mets in win now mode. Looking for established stud. 

They are definately in need of an ace. They could just sign a FA ace next year and take teh 2 picks they get. #11 and whatever else they get in 1st round.  deGrom was a  ninth rounder LOL. How they didnt know thhis beforehand is quite strange. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

They are definately in need of an ace. They could just sign a FA ace next year and take teh 2 picks they get. #11 and whatever else they get in 1st round.  deGrom was a  ninth rounder LOL. How they didnt know thhis beforehand is quite strange. 

It seems that the Mets pretty much made their top 4 prospects untouchables. Probably can throw in Matt Allen in that group, even with the Tommy John. Anybody in their right mind would have rather traded for Bryant rather than Baez, but not at the price the Giants paid, basically 2 of their top 4 prospects. Toronto gave 2 of their top  3 for Berrios. . The Dodgers gave up their top 2 for Scherzer. Cohen said he’s sick of depleting the farm system and they stuck to their guns. As far as Rocker goes, it’s shocking that big league scouts, who follow these guys for months, weren’t scared off  by the significant fluctuations in his velocity. I have a good friend who was a regional scout for years for the Cubs and he told me that would have taken Rocker off their board. Looks like the Mets will be addressing pitching this off season via free agency.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

position_players.PNG
 

Since he is indeed the bright spot this week, let’s start with Brandon Drury, who has been on an absolute tear. He racked up ten hits in 17 plate appearances this week, which leads the team despite him having far fewer plate appearances than many other players. His five RBIs are second-most on the team and his four runs scored matches the team lead. In Wednesday's 2-1 victory over the Braves, Drury’s pinch hit solo homer was the difference in the game. That was after going 3-for-3 with a homer the day before in the Mets’ 12-5 loss to the Braves. And of course, it was Drury who delivered the walk-off hit against the Reds on Saturday in the bottom of the tenth inning. The Mets will continue to ride this hot streak for as long as it lasts. 

Drury will continue to get chances in part because Luis Guillorme somewhat surprisingly landed on the injured list yesterday with a hamstring strain. Guillorme has already spent one significant stint on the injured list with an oblique strain this season. Guillorme had one hit, two walks, and three runs scored in eleven plate appearances this week before being sidelined. This may also mean Travis Blankenhorn, who went 0-for-1 this week before being optioned back to Triple-A, may eventually be back with the big league club again during Guillorme’s absence.

Drury will continue to get chances in part because Luis Guillorme somewhat surprisingly landed on the injured list yesterday with a hamstring strain. Guillorme has already spent one significant stint on the injured list with an oblique strain this season. Guillorme had one hit, two walks, and three runs scored in eleven plate appearances this week before being sidelined. This may also mean Travis Blankenhorn, who went 0-for-1 this week before being optioned back to Triple-A, may eventually be back with the big league club again during Guillorme’s absence.

The Mets’ infield picture did change this week with the acquisition of Javier Báez from the Cubs. Báez will be the Mets’ everyday shortstop while Lindor remains sidelined and then will shift to second (or maybe third) base upon Lindor’s return. Báez had just one hit in his first eight plate appearances as a Met, but it was a huge one. In his very first game as a Met on Saturday, he blasted a two-run homer in the bottom of the sixth that brought the Mets within a run in a game they went on to walk off in the tenth. As Mets fans have already seen, Báez can be quite the streaky hitter—capable of carrying a team during a hot stretch, but running up the strikeout totals when in a slump. But with his bat also comes premium defense at multiple infield positions. And as Saturday’s home run demonstrates, he fills a crucial role on the Mets by being a punisher of left-handed pitching, something the Mets desperately need.

J.D. Davis used to be one of the few guys on the team that the Mets could use as a weapon against lefties. But that has not been the case this year, even when he was hitting well. Since his brief hot streak immediately after being activated from the injured list, Davis is slumping big time. He has just one hit in 17 plate appearances this week, good for an ugly -55 wRC+. His playing time has greatly suffered as a result, but he may get more chances to claw his way out of poop emoji territory with Guillorme missing some time. 

But it is likely Jonathan Villar will continue to see most of the playing time at third base for the time being. Villar has had a strong week with the bat, posting a 120 wRC+ in 25 plate appearances. His seven hits are third-most on the team for the week and his three walks are second-most on the team. 

But aside from Brandon Drury, the Mets’ hottest hitter right now is Jeff McNeil, who put up a .391/.417/.783 batting line this week over 24 plate appearances, good for a 220 wRC+. McNeil’s nine hits for the week are just one shy of Drury for the team lead, but his six RBIs lead the team. He also belted two home runs this week and his RBI double was the Mets’ only run in their 1-0 victory over the Braves in the nightcap of Monday’s doublheader—a very positive sign that McNeil’s power is coming back as well. McNeil posted a 154 wRC+ for the month of July, so his hot streak extends far beyond just this week, but this week it stood in stark contrast to some of the Mets’ other starters. 

Namely, Michael Conforto is mired in what is really a season-long slump, save for flashes here and there. This week was particularly bad and earned him a poop emoji for his 12 wRC+ over 25 plate appearances, over which he managed just two hits and a walk. Conforto’s only saving grace this week was his game-saving outfield assist in Wednesday’s 2-1 victory over the Braves in which he nabbed Abraham Almonte at the plate carrying the game-tying run with Edwin Díaz on the mound. I considered giving him a down arrow instead of a poop emoji for the week just because of that play alone because it truly was spectacular and saved the game for the Mets, but Conforto simply looks lost at the plate right now and I don’t want to sugarcoat that. His batting average for the year has now dipped under .200.

James McCann deserves kudos for executing the other half of that game-saving play on Wednesday with a perfect tag to nab Almonte. It’s been an otherwise unremarkable week for McCann, who notched four hits—all singles—and a walk in 17 plate appearances, good for a 58 wRC+. Tomás Nido fared even worse this week with just two hits—both singles—in 14 plate appearances. His bat has unfortunately taken a sharp downturn in the second half thus far. 

Dominic Smith posted just a 73 wRC+ in 24 plate appearances this week, but it was his RBI single that tied the game in the ninth inning in the Mets’ come from behind victory on Saturday, so he avoids the red arrow for that. It was one of two RBIs for Smith this week and one of five total hits. 

Kevin Pillar continues to struggle with the bat as well, collecting just two hits and a run scored over 15 plate appearances this week. I could have justifiably given him the poop emoji as well for his -27 wRC+ to total three on the board for this week, but this meter is depressing enough. Notably, none of the struggling Mets are even managing to reach base via the walk, which is something that Francisco Lindor managed to do, even when he couldn’t buy a hit. 

The only player who continues to draw walks is Brandon Nimmo, unsurprisingly. He leads the team with five walks this week and shares the team lead with Drury for runs scored with four. Nimmo also collected four hits this week, three of them singles, which is good for a 113 wRC+ in 22 plate appearances this week. His bat has cooled down a little bit of late, but a .409 on-base percentage will certainly play. Unfortunately, Nimmo felt a “pinch” in his hamstring following the Mets’ 6-2 loss to the Reds on Friday night, but it does not seem like it is severe enough to land him on the injured list. That’s a good thing for the Mets, who desperately need his on-base skills at the top of the order if they can hope to generate any run production at all, even if Nimmo’s power has still not yet come around this season the way McNeil’s has of late. 

Speaking of cooling off, Pete Alonso unfortunately goes from a fireball to a down arrow this week, posting just a 49 wRC+ in 31 plate appearances. His only home run this week came in Thursday’s loss; it was a two-run shot in the fifth inning that brought the Mets within two at the time. He has just one other RBI, one other runs scored, and four other hits for the week. He also walked twice. Hopefully this is just a blip for the Polar Bear and he maintains his red hot second half.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

 

position_players.PNG
 

Since he is indeed the bright spot this week, let’s start with Brandon Drury, who has been on an absolute tear. He racked up ten hits in 17 plate appearances this week, which leads the team despite him having far fewer plate appearances than many other players. His five RBIs are second-most on the team and his four runs scored matches the team lead. In Wednesday's 2-1 victory over the Braves, Drury’s pinch hit solo homer was the difference in the game. That was after going 3-for-3 with a homer the day before in the Mets’ 12-5 loss to the Braves. And of course, it was Drury who delivered the walk-off hit against the Reds on Saturday in the bottom of the tenth inning. The Mets will continue to ride this hot streak for as long as it lasts. 

Drury will continue to get chances in part because Luis Guillorme somewhat surprisingly landed on the injured list yesterday with a hamstring strain. Guillorme has already spent one significant stint on the injured list with an oblique strain this season. Guillorme had one hit, two walks, and three runs scored in eleven plate appearances this week before being sidelined. This may also mean Travis Blankenhorn, who went 0-for-1 this week before being optioned back to Triple-A, may eventually be back with the big league club again during Guillorme’s absence.

Drury will continue to get chances in part because Luis Guillorme somewhat surprisingly landed on the injured list yesterday with a hamstring strain. Guillorme has already spent one significant stint on the injured list with an oblique strain this season. Guillorme had one hit, two walks, and three runs scored in eleven plate appearances this week before being sidelined. This may also mean Travis Blankenhorn, who went 0-for-1 this week before being optioned back to Triple-A, may eventually be back with the big league club again during Guillorme’s absence.

The Mets’ infield picture did change this week with the acquisition of Javier Báez from the Cubs. Báez will be the Mets’ everyday shortstop while Lindor remains sidelined and then will shift to second (or maybe third) base upon Lindor’s return. Báez had just one hit in his first eight plate appearances as a Met, but it was a huge one. In his very first game as a Met on Saturday, he blasted a two-run homer in the bottom of the sixth that brought the Mets within a run in a game they went on to walk off in the tenth. As Mets fans have already seen, Báez can be quite the streaky hitter—capable of carrying a team during a hot stretch, but running up the strikeout totals when in a slump. But with his bat also comes premium defense at multiple infield positions. And as Saturday’s home run demonstrates, he fills a crucial role on the Mets by being a punisher of left-handed pitching, something the Mets desperately need.

J.D. Davis used to be one of the few guys on the team that the Mets could use as a weapon against lefties. But that has not been the case this year, even when he was hitting well. Since his brief hot streak immediately after being activated from the injured list, Davis is slumping big time. He has just one hit in 17 plate appearances this week, good for an ugly -55 wRC+. His playing time has greatly suffered as a result, but he may get more chances to claw his way out of poop emoji territory with Guillorme missing some time. 

But it is likely Jonathan Villar will continue to see most of the playing time at third base for the time being. Villar has had a strong week with the bat, posting a 120 wRC+ in 25 plate appearances. His seven hits are third-most on the team for the week and his three walks are second-most on the team. 

But aside from Brandon Drury, the Mets’ hottest hitter right now is Jeff McNeil, who put up a .391/.417/.783 batting line this week over 24 plate appearances, good for a 220 wRC+. McNeil’s nine hits for the week are just one shy of Drury for the team lead, but his six RBIs lead the team. He also belted two home runs this week and his RBI double was the Mets’ only run in their 1-0 victory over the Braves in the nightcap of Monday’s doublheader—a very positive sign that McNeil’s power is coming back as well. McNeil posted a 154 wRC+ for the month of July, so his hot streak extends far beyond just this week, but this week it stood in stark contrast to some of the Mets’ other starters. 

Namely, Michael Conforto is mired in what is really a season-long slump, save for flashes here and there. This week was particularly bad and earned him a poop emoji for his 12 wRC+ over 25 plate appearances, over which he managed just two hits and a walk. Conforto’s only saving grace this week was his game-saving outfield assist in Wednesday’s 2-1 victory over the Braves in which he nabbed Abraham Almonte at the plate carrying the game-tying run with Edwin Díaz on the mound. I considered giving him a down arrow instead of a poop emoji for the week just because of that play alone because it truly was spectacular and saved the game for the Mets, but Conforto simply looks lost at the plate right now and I don’t want to sugarcoat that. His batting average for the year has now dipped under .200.

James McCann deserves kudos for executing the other half of that game-saving play on Wednesday with a perfect tag to nab Almonte. It’s been an otherwise unremarkable week for McCann, who notched four hits—all singles—and a walk in 17 plate appearances, good for a 58 wRC+. Tomás Nido fared even worse this week with just two hits—both singles—in 14 plate appearances. His bat has unfortunately taken a sharp downturn in the second half thus far. 

Dominic Smith posted just a 73 wRC+ in 24 plate appearances this week, but it was his RBI single that tied the game in the ninth inning in the Mets’ come from behind victory on Saturday, so he avoids the red arrow for that. It was one of two RBIs for Smith this week and one of five total hits. 

Kevin Pillar continues to struggle with the bat as well, collecting just two hits and a run scored over 15 plate appearances this week. I could have justifiably given him the poop emoji as well for his -27 wRC+ to total three on the board for this week, but this meter is depressing enough. Notably, none of the struggling Mets are even managing to reach base via the walk, which is something that Francisco Lindor managed to do, even when he couldn’t buy a hit. 

The only player who continues to draw walks is Brandon Nimmo, unsurprisingly. He leads the team with five walks this week and shares the team lead with Drury for runs scored with four. Nimmo also collected four hits this week, three of them singles, which is good for a 113 wRC+ in 22 plate appearances this week. His bat has cooled down a little bit of late, but a .409 on-base percentage will certainly play. Unfortunately, Nimmo felt a “pinch” in his hamstring following the Mets’ 6-2 loss to the Reds on Friday night, but it does not seem like it is severe enough to land him on the injured list. That’s a good thing for the Mets, who desperately need his on-base skills at the top of the order if they can hope to generate any run production at all, even if Nimmo’s power has still not yet come around this season the way McNeil’s has of late. 

Speaking of cooling off, Pete Alonso unfortunately goes from a fireball to a down arrow this week, posting just a 49 wRC+ in 31 plate appearances. His only home run this week came in Thursday’s loss; it was a two-run shot in the fifth inning that brought the Mets within two at the time. He has just one other RBI, one other runs scored, and four other hits for the week. He also walked twice. Hopefully this is just a blip for the Polar Bear and he maintains his red hot second half.

This team can’t hit their way out of a wet paper bag. They stink.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, section314 said:

This team can’t hit their way out of a wet paper bag. They stink.

You could say the injuries have really thrown al ot of these for a loop BUt look at Nimmo. he picked it right up where he left off before being injured. Coforto, JD, Lindor, Mcann -mI mean McNeil for a long stretch. Its embarrasing. How they are in 1st place is beyond me. But if they dont strat hitting you can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets Do Not Sign Kumar Rocker

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2021/8/1/22605017/mets-news-2021-draft-rocker-boras-sign

In what can only be regarded as a disaster, the Mets were unable to come to an agreement with their first round pick, Kumar Rocker. Though the two sides initially agreed to a deal quickly, medical issues arose that caused the Mets to seek a lower signing bonus. The team expressed concern about Rocker’s pitching elbow after a physical evaluation last week. Rocker and agent Scott Boras - who issued a statement denying the Mets’ health allegations - did not back down, however, and the deadline passed at 5 PM today with both sides locked in a stalemate. 

Landing Rocker with the tenth overall pick set the Mets up for one of the biggest draft coups in recent memory. One of the most dominant pitchers in college baseball history, Rocker was often in the conversation for the first overall pick leading up to the draft. Inconsistent velocity ultimately pushed him down the board a little bit, but he was still far better than the tenth prospect on the draft board on talent alone. Clearly, the Mets agreed; they structured their entire draft around Rocker, staying at or below slot with the remainder of their picks in order to promise Rocker a $6 million signing bonus, roughly $1.3M over the slot value of the tenth overall pick. 

This isn’t an uncommon practice under the current draft system. Typically, a team will use one of their first three picks on a player demanding well above the slot value, then use the remainder of their picks on underslot picks, essentially reaching for lesser talent to save money and add it to the signing bonus for the main target. The Mets themselves pulled this off in 2019 to land Matthew Allan in the third round for well above slot. 

Critically, most teams will also draft a backup option or two, picking a couple of expensive prep players in the later rounds (which don’t contribute to signing bonus pools) that they can pivot to should something go wrong with their main target. For some reason, the Mets neglected this crucial step, giving them nowhere else to spend the money they had allocated to Rocker once medical concerns had cropped up.

Because of this, failing to sign Rocker is particularly egregious. The money saved on other picks that was supposed to go to him cannot be reallocated in any meaningful way. It’s an inconsequential amount in free agency, and international free agents - the primary alternative avenue to the draft for adding amateur talent - has it’s own pool restrictions. Put simply, unless Rocker’s arm needs to be amputated, there’s almost no way burning this pool money is worthwhile, even if the Mets do recoup the 11th pick in next years’ draft as compensation. 

With the richest owner in baseball, the Mets can afford the financial risk of signing a draft pick that may not work out. This is especially true because the draft is always such a crap shoot, and because there’s no guarantee that the arm issue will prevent him from being a productive pitcher for the Mets. 

So, to recap; the Mets selected lesser talent through the draft in order to save money and give it to Rocker. They drafted no potential insurance players who they could pay as an alternative should things go wrong. They then got scared over Rocker’s medicals and backed out of the deal, burning $1.3M in slot savings in the process. Unless the eleventh pick in next year’s draft is worth more than Rocker (it almost certainly will not be), this is a disaster that accomplished nothing aside from saving the team what should be an inconsequential amount of money to a baseball team.

Joe Douglas moonlighting?

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

No worries. Word is deGrom will be back by November. I think we play the Dolphins then.

I'm hoping that at least Jake can pinch hit or DH if we have any AL road games.😃

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

You could say the injuries have really thrown al ot of these for a loop BUt look at Nimmo. he picked it right up where he left off before being injured. Coforto, JD, Lindor, Mcann -mI mean McNeil for a long stretch. Its embarrasing. How they are in 1st place is beyond me. But if they dont strat hitting you can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

They look done.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

They look done.

I would tend to agree with you. Think this latest news on Jake just deflated them. They've hung so tough all year and I think that finally popped the bubble. If you are totally objective, we could be on a 9 game losing streak...could easily been swept by both the Braves and Reds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always found team hitting slumps perplexing when basically all or almost all players aren't hitting. It's been a theme this season and even got a pretty good hitting coach, Chili Davis and his asst. hitting coach fired earlier this season. We've seen it in the Olympics esp with the US women's softball team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, faba said:

This a team you just have to beat. Underperforming hitters throughout the lineup really all year

Inspired Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
 

50+ games to go. Get Jake back, get Tijuans head back on straight and LFGM!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, faba said:

This a team you just have to beat. Underperforming hitters throughout the lineup really all year

Can't beat the Marlins, and we have 14 straight games against the Giants and Dodgers coming up starting next week.  Unless something changes dramatically with this team, they are going to find themselves looking up at Philly and Atlanta in the standings by the end of August.  No life at all in this team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well not looking to be a pessamist here. Been a Mets fan since I was just a pup in the early 60's. So nievely, I always root for them.  Really no choice in the matter.  Thats what made '69 so incredibly special. When you put that '69 season up against the 68-69 Jets SB, it's a toss up which was the bigger upset.  So now I'm pretty done with this season.  Just to many odds to overcome and I'm looking towards next season.  I see wholesale changes coming from Cohen.  I think Rojas is safe as manager but he's made a ton of mistakes a seasoned manager would not have.  In OF, Nimmo is safe. He will be in CF or LF.  I'd prefer they get a defensive CF with SPEED who can HIT and a RF who can HIT. Nimmo plays a nice LF and is better suited there.  I think Conforto is a goner. Infield is interesting. Lot of options. Dom will move to 1st base. Alfonso will DH. NL is going DH next year.  Lindor at SS. Now it gets interesting. I believe they will sign Baez. You dont give up a top prospect for a 2 month rental. Baez will play 2nd base or 3rd. Does Cano come back and play 2nd or does Cohen cut ties with him. He can hit and we need hitters.  I think McNeil will be retained as a bench guy or he may bounce. Same goes for JD. I like JD although he's had a terrible year thus far.  I still wouldnt give up on him.  He could be a good bench/DH guy.  Then the pitching. OMG what a conundrum.  I think deGrom gets a pass. He's just to good not to take a risk on.  Same goes for Thor I believe.  So next year you have Degrom, Thor, Cookie, Walker, Peterson, McGill.  But so many question marks about the top 3 health wise.  Its a really tough call. Do they let Thor walk and sign an ace or risk it with Thor. They still have time to make that decision.  Would love to see them grab a lefty ace to balance thiings out. So to recap, I'd love to get a good defensive 3rd baseman or do they go Baez at 3rd? - Cano at 2nd?, a fast defensive CF, a defensive RF with pop and a qulaity LF SP. Hey the Dodgers go all out. Why not us. Cohen has the means and we are very close.    

Nimmo LF   CF?   RF? 

Baez 3rd,  Lindor SS, Cano 2nd, Smith 1B, MCann C, Alfonso DH

Degrom, Thor, LHP?, Cookie, Walker, Petereson, McGill

Bullpen is pretty solid - few wrinkles but its been the heart of this team this year and for most part should return. 

What do you guys want to see???????

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Well not looking to be a pessamist here. Been a Mets fan since I was just a pup in the early 60's. So nievely, I always root for them.  Really no choice in the matter.  Thats what made '69 so incredibly special. When you put that '69 season up against the 68-69 Jets SB, it's a toss up which was the bigger upset.  So now I'm pretty done with this season.  Just to many odds to overcome and I'm looking towards next season.  I see wholesale changes coming from Cohen.  I think Rojas is safe as manager but he's made a ton of mistakes a seasoned manager would not have.  In OF, Nimmo is safe. He will be in CF or LF.  I'd prefer they get a defensive CF with SPEED who can HIT and a RF who can HIT. Nimmo plays a nice LF and is better suited there.  I think Conforto is a goner. Infield is interesting. Lot of options. Dom will move to 1st base. Alfonso will DH. NL is going DH next year.  Lindor at SS. Now it gets interesting. I believe they will sign Baez. You dont give up a top prospect for a 2 month rental. Baez will play 2nd base or 3rd. Does Cano come back and play 2nd or does Cohen cut ties with him. He can hit and we need hitters.  I think McNeil will be retained as a bench guy or he may bounce. Same goes for JD. I like JD although he's had a terrible year thus far.  I still wouldnt give up on him.  He could be a good bench/DH guy.  Then the pitching. OMG what a conundrum.  I think deGrom gets a pass. He's just to good not to take a risk on.  Same goes for Thor I believe.  So next year you have Degrom, Thor, Cookie, Walker, Peterson, McGill.  But so many question marks about the top 3 health wise.  Its a really tough call. Do they let Thor walk and sign an ace or risk it with Thor. They still have time to make that decision.  Would love to see them grab a lefty ace to balance thiings out. So to recap, I'd love to get a good defensive 3rd baseman or do they go Baez at 3rd? - Cano at 2nd?, a fast defensive CF, a defensive RF with pop and a qulaity LF SP. Hey the Dodgers go all out. Why not us. Cohen has the means and we are very close.    

Nimmo LF   CF?   RF? 

Baez 3rd,  Lindor SS, Cano 2nd, Smith 1B, MCann C, Alfonso DH

Degrom, Thor, LHP?, Cookie, Walker, Petereson, McGill

Bullpen is pretty solid - few wrinkles but its been the heart of this team this year and for most part should return. 

What do you guys want to see???????

 

 

 

I think Cano will never play another game for the Mets. Baez will play 2nd. Chris Bryant will be a free agent, but doubt SF won’t resign him given what they gave up in their top prospects. Think the biggest move in the off season will be in the front office. Don’t discount Cohen going after Thro Epstein. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, section314 said:

I think Cano will never play another game for the Mets. Baez will play 2nd. Chris Bryant will be a free agent, but doubt SF won’t resign him given what they gave up in their top prospects. Think the biggest move in the off season will be in the front office. Don’t discount Cohen going after Thro Epstein. 

The Cano trade had to be one of the worst in team history. The money, the lost prospects and then punctuated by his suspension.  But thats alot of money to kiss off and eat. Why  do you think Cohen cuts his losses with him? He's not the first and wont be the last to get caught.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

The Cano trade had to be one of the worst in team history. The money, the lost prospects and then punctuated by his suspension.  But thats alot of money to kiss off and eat. Why  do you think Cohen cuts his losses with him? He's not the first and wont be the last to get caught.

Baez will play 2nd, Alonzo will DH. No room for a washed up juicer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, section314 said:

Baez will play 2nd, Alonzo will DH. No room for a washed up juicer. 

Thats a formidable middle infield.  They could go Lindor SS, Baez 2nd base, Dom 1st base, McNeil/JD 3rd base. Bring in defensive replacement at 3rd in late innigs.  Its mind boggling how many men this team leaves on base.  We really need a clutch hitter. A guy who knows how to hit in certain situations. I'v seen countless guys stranded on 3rd with less than 2 outs this year. It's basic baseball fundamentals to make contact in these situations.  These guys have got to step it up or I dont see many coming back.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Thats a formidable middle infield.  They could go Lindor SS, Baez 2nd base, Dom 1st base, McNeil/JD 3rd base. Bring in defensive replacement at 3rd in late innigs.  Its mind boggling how many men this team leaves on base.  We really need a clutch hitter. A guy who knows how to hit in certain situations. I'v seen countless guys stranded on 3rd with less than 2 outs this year. It's basic baseball fundamentals to make contact in these situations.  These guys have got to step it up or I dont see many coming back.  

Assuming the Mets resign Baez, and he plays 2nd, 3td base will continue to be a glaring weakness. Bret Baty projects as a corner infielder, but he is probably 2 years away. The thing that goes unnoticed with all the shifting going on is how often the 3rd baseman is asked to move all over the place.That calls for a guy who is very athletic, has great instincts and range, and has a strong arm. McNeil and JD have none of those attributes, and are major defensive liabilities. I honestly will be surprised if either are Mets next year, potentially as trade bait. Would expect Mets to target pitching(duh) as well as 3rd base via trade/FA this offseason. Am very impressed with the hid Anderson on the Marlins. He would solve our 3rd base problem. Wonder if they would move him?

Link to post
Share on other sites

**** this team.  I give up.  Losing 3 of 4 to the last place Marlins?

**** them all.  I hope these ****ers finish in last ******* place.  You ******* ****s. 

And **** the FO for not doing enough.  Like WT actual **** were they doing?  Your relief pitching ******* sucks, you did nothing.  You starting pitching ******* sucks, your big move is Dick Mountain?  GT****O.  Baez is great, great job.  He basically begged to come play here you ******* sh*t bags. 

**** YOU NY METS, **** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I HATE YOUR ******* GUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, section314 said:

Assuming the Mets resign Baez, and he plays 2nd, 3td base will continue to be a glaring weakness. Bret Baty projects as a corner infielder, but he is probably 2 years away. The thing that goes unnoticed with all the shifting going on is how often the 3rd baseman is asked to move all over the place.That calls for a guy who is very athletic, has great instincts and range, and has a strong arm. McNeil and JD have none of those attributes, and are major defensive liabilities. I honestly will be surprised if either are Mets next year, potentially as trade bait. Would expect Mets to target pitching(duh) as well as 3rd base via trade/FA this offseason. Am very impressed with the hid Anderson on the Marlins. He would solve our 3rd base problem. Wonder if they would move him?

Baez has played 3rd and has a CANNON for an arm.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...