2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets take 1st 2 games from Cubs! Peterson followed by Walker. Just enough offense tonight being fully provided by Pete. 

It is just unbelievable how much this defense has improved. The pitchers are doing a much better job of holding runners, and McCann and his arm have thwarted attempts at stolen bases. The addition of Lindor, and now Villar on the left side have tightened half of that infield. When Guillorme is in there the whole unit is tight. The throw that Guillorme made at home last night was a thing of beauty. And the positioning that analytics have provided has been sensational. When there is a hard hit ground ball, it seems to be right at someone all of the time. 

It just feels like the total stench of the Wilpons being gone has made this a much tighter unit overall, that love being and playing together. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is just unbelievable how much this defense has improved. The pitchers are doing a much better job of holding runners, and McCann and his arm have thwarted attempts at stolen bases. The addition of Lindor, and now Villar on the left side have tightened half of that infield. When Guillorme is in there the whole unit is tight. The throw that Guillorme made at home last night was a thing of beauty. And the positioning that analytics have provided has been sensational. When there is a hard hit ground ball, it seems to be right at someone all of the time. 

It just feels like the total stench of the Wilpons being gone has made this a much tighter unit overall, that love being and playing together. 

That's why these guys are pros, they can make a throw like that. I remember going to Shea so many times with my dad as a young guy, and he always got us there early to watch BP and infield and outfield practice. As I was progressing in my baseball career, he wanted me to see just how good these guys are. I would marvel at seeing throws from outfielders right on the money, same from the infilders. Effortlessly. Dad would say to me " Stephen, that's why these guys are in the big leagues."  How I miss those days, for many reasons. You could just hear it in Ronnie and Keith's voices just how much they loved seeing that. It seemed to take the rest of the broadcast to a new level.

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, Lith said:

I expect to watch every one of his starts for a while with a mix of excitement, anticipation and dread. 

The most fun thing about Jake in the lineup is that we have a .400 hitter and then not another hitter above .260.

Well maybe that's not so much fun...

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, section314 said:

That's why these guys are pros, they can make a throw like that. I remember going to Shea so many times with my dad as a young guy, and he always got us there early to watch BP and infield and outfield practice. As I was progressing in my baseball career, he wanted me to see just how good these guys are. I would marvel at seeing throws from outfielders right on the money, same from the infilders. Effortlessly. Dad would say to me " Stephen, that's why these guys are in the big leagues."  How I miss those days, for many reasons. You could just hear it in Ronnie and Keith's voices just how much they loved seeing that. It seemed to take the rest of the broadcast to a new level.

We are also blessed by having the greatest analytical broadcast team in the business, by far. They take the game to whole different level in the manner they call.

I agree on what you say about war ups. Just watching the long toss and these guys effortlessly hit each other in the chest consistently. I watch class D1 college players warm, and they cannot repeat that. Baseball is such a tough sport, and the manner that these athletes make it look easy is amazing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

We are also blessed by having the greatest analytical broadcast team in the business, by far. They take the game to whole different level in the manner they call.

I agree on what you say about war ups. Just watching the long toss and these guys effortlessly hit each other in the chest consistently. I watch class D1 college players warm, and they cannot repeat that. Baseball is such a tough sport, and the manner that these athletes make it look easy is amazing.

I guess that's your son, right? You mentioned that he got hurt, but was on the mend. Hope he is doing well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

“Right shoulder soreness”

Strikes out 8 of 9 batters with a sore shoulder. Throwing 100+ mph on several pitches. We have to find a way to make Jake last. Is it like the TB pitcher Glasgow (sp) complaint that you have to grip ball harder w/o tacky substance? 

Good news.  But they need to figure out how to get this guy healthy.  A healthy deGrom and we are a legit contender.  If they need to shut him down for a few weeks, that is fine, we need Jake healthy in August and September (and October) if we are going to do something special this year.

On 6/16/2021 at 6:53 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Picking up McCann was great grab for you guys, Dierk - most of my Sox fan buddies here in Chi are bitching about it daily.

You guys are looking very stout here in June - should be a good series decider tonight. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, Lith said:

I just don't get what happened to Lindor.  At this point, it is way beyond slow start.  Over his last 100 games, 60 last year and 40 this year, 384 at bats, the guy is hitting .232, 11 HRs and 36 RBI..  Its like he fell off a cliff after 2019.  I was thrilled when we acquired him, discounted his off year last season thinking it was such a strange season, but now it looks like he is washed up at 27.  The guy has turned into Rey Ordonez at the plate, although Ordonez OPS was better than Lindor's has been as a Met.

Lucky we only have 9 1/2 more seasons of him at his $341M contract

Is there any way to get out of that contract? He’s just been awful. And his defense has been amiss as well. There’s just no way we’d be able to afford a competitive roster with Linder not contributing as was expected. This will set this team backwards for years to come if he continues playing like this.

19 hours ago, Lith said:

Good news.  But they need to figure out how to get this guy healthy.  A healthy deGrom and we are a legit contender.  If they need to shut him down for a few weeks, that is fine, we need Jake healthy in August and September (and October) if we are going to do something special this year.

Shut him down till after the all-star break and I think they should be aggressive looking for another starter before the deadline.  It doesnt even need to be a big splash like Scherzer (who I read a rumor on) but even just a solid 4 in the rotation would be helpful insurance just incase we dont see Carrasco or Thor this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Shut him down till after the all-star break and I think they should be aggressive looking for another starter before the deadline.  It doesnt even need to be a big splash like Scherzer (who I read a rumor on) but even just a solid 4 in the rotation would be helpful insurance just incase we dont see Carrasco or Thor this year.

Agreed. On both points.  Shut him down for a bit and try to find a guy who can eat innings.

I am getting concerned that he is just throwing too damn hard for his own good.  No significant injuries, but the constant aches and pains.  We have all seen the numbers on how many 100+ mph pitches he has thrown compared to the rest of the league.  Usually is is short relievers throwing that hard who just work an inning at a time.  Is is just too much stress on his body to keep throwing as hard as he does?

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed. On both points.  Shut him down for a bit and try to find a guy who can eat innings.

I am getting concerned that he is just throwing too damn hard for his own good.  No significant injuries, but the constant aches and pains.  We have all seen the numbers on how many 100+ mph pitches he has thrown compared to the rest of the league.  Usually is is short relievers throwing that hard who just work an inning at a time.  Is is just too much stress on his body to keep throwing as hard as he does?

Could be...really dont know...you would assume you have to put it all into throwing that hard but I cant pretend to know how it impacts your body.  Does 2-3mph make that much difference?  

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Speaking of injuries, I swear the MLB is the worst with injury reports.

What's up with; Nimmo, Davis, Conforto, McNeil? 

I thought I saw that McNeil is due back this weekend, possibly Sunday and Conforto is on his rehab assingment and could be back next week.  Not sure about Nimmo or Davis.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Speaking of injuries, I swear the MLB is the worst with injury reports.

What's up with; Nimmo, Davis, Conforto, McNeil? 

McNeil, will be back either Sunday or Monday. Playing in minors.

Conforto, most likely back end of next week. Just started minors assignment.

Nimmo,They figured out it was a minor tendon tear that will heal itself. Should be ready to start minor stint. Back by end of month.

Davis, nothing new and I really don't care as I like Villar at 3rd better any way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

We certainly can use his bat!

For me, Villar provides as much offense, has much better speed and the defense is far superior. Maybe allow Davis to start against lefties.

We now have a proper platoon for Nimmo in center also. Pillar starts vs lefties, and Nimmo vs the right handers. You can throw Pillar in there a little more against some right handers also.

I understand they plan to us Mcneil in the outfield some, also. At least until Conforto comes back.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

For me, Villar provides as much offense, has much better speed and the defense is far superior. Maybe allow Davis to start against lefties.

We now have a proper platoon for Nimmo in center also. Pillar starts vs lefties, and Nimmo vs the right handers. You can throw Pillar in there a little more against some right handers also.

I understand they plan to us Mcneil in the outfield some, also. At least until Conforto comes back.

Conforto and his agent must be sweating a bit. He has shown nothing this year and heading into a walk year might not see the big offers they may have anticipated. Should be interesting!

We definitely need to get Stroman under contract. He will be an excellent 3-4 starter.

What's everyone's take on Thor? Think he takes the qualifying offer for next year?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

True but with Davis and his bat back, I think it also gives them some more flexibility in situations like they're in now.  2 straight shutouts, bats are very quiet, shake it up and move VIllar to 2nd, Davis at 3rd...have both in the line up.  And the way Conforto is hitting this year, I'd even starting playing Nimmo and Pillar in the line up at the same time as well.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Conforto and his agent must be sweating a bit. He has shown nothing this year and heading into a walk year might not see the big offers they may have anticipated. Should be interesting!

We definitely need to get Stroman under contract. He will be an excellent 3-4 starter.

What's everyone's take on Thor? Think he takes the qualifying offer for next year?

Thor has probably pitched his last innings with the Mets . They are not opening the wallet for him .

24 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'd even starting playing Nimmo and Pillar in the line up at the same time as well.  

Nimmo gets on base…. That’s what we need to start and then the clutch hits which no one is providing right now. Comforto swings for the fences most times and struggles. When he looks opposite field that’s when he tears it up 

Stroman leaves early w/ an injury and the bats are in a deep state of hibernation.  This has been a long time coming, been very fortunate to stay above .500 with how terrible this team is at the plate.  They need to get healthy fast because this nice little division cushion is going to disappear quick like.  4 shutouts, numerous 1 and 2 run games in the last 7 games, it's not good and it's quite scary.

• Upvote 1