2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

I'm in as well!  Just found out that Steve Cohen fired the entire front office.  Love it that Brodie didn't last even a day.  I did like the guys who did the drafts under him though (I think Tommy Tanous).  Not sure if they're still around but I certainly wouldn't be against it.  But other than that, let Sandy Alderson remake the team to his liking.

• Upvote 2

What an outstanding press conference today by Steve Cohen and Sandy Alderson!  Cohen seems like a legit fan.  He said he plans to hire experts (like Sandy) and give them a lot of latitude to do their jobs.  He said he won't spend like a drunken sailor but he does plan to spend in a way consistent with a big market team.  However, he also believes in building through young players.  He would like to win a World Series within the next 3-5 years but hopefully even sooner.  He said he thinks Met fans are passionate and knowledgeable and while he may not necessarily agree with everyone's opinion, he'd be willing to listen and that he'd take a good idea from anywhere he could find it.  When asked about organizations he admired, he mentioned the Dodgers but he also said that he wants the Mets to have their own unique culture.

Sandy said he'd be hiring someone to be the president of baseball ops.  Sandy won't be sitting at the head of the table when it comes to making decisions but he does plans to be sitting somewhere at the table.  The reason he fired the front office is to give a clean slate to the new baseball ops hire.  He told Luis Rojas that he will likely be the manager but he wants the new hire to have input into that decision.  He also talked about how he'll be doing some shopping at the "gourmet section".  He mentioned Brad Hand as a guy the Mets might have signed had they had this structure in place at the time.

EDIT:

Sandy also praised what the Mets did in their previous 2 drafts.  I was thrilled to hear that as that was the one thing I liked about what went on under Brodie's watch.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am not a Mets fan in  particular but the new owner sounded very good in his presser.  Sounds like all the things I wish I could hear from the jets owners.

Should be some real optimism for mets fans.

I was thrilled with what I heard today.  Cohen even seemed like a likable guy, which, tbh, I wasn't so sure he would be.  (I thought he'd be self-absorbed).  Thankfully, he didn't come off like that (at least not in this press conference).

On 11/9/2020 at 12:33 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd love to see the Mets sign DJ Lemahieu.  Not just because he's a very good player but to make a statement to both Met and Yankee fans that the Mets are now serious players going forward.

I hope the first thing he does is sign Conforto to a long term deal. Also, loved his line about a minority owner being really just a season ticket holder.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Cohen is a fantastic twitter follow. Engages with fans regularly.

Honestly, Cohen buying the team is probably the best thing that's ever happened to Mets fans in my lifetime. I see no reason to think the Mets won't very quickly ascend to one of the consistent premier franchises in baseball.

In my lifetime:

1. Keith Hernandez trade. I knew at the the time of the trade what the Mets farm system had coming, and what a leader and clutch hitter Keith was. Even though the Mets were lousy at the time of the trade, I could not believe what we got. That was the catalyst for the best sustained period of Mets baseball during my fandom. 

2. Steve Cohen announcement. Only second because I haven't seen the results yet. Every opportunity to go to number one. Can't ask for more than that. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

In my lifetime:

1. Keith Hernandez trade. I knew at the the time of the trade what the Mets farm system had coming, and what a leader and clutch hitter Keith was. Even though the Mets were lousy at the time of the trade, I could not believe what we got. That was the catalyst for the best sustained period of Mets baseball during my fandom. 

2. Steve Cohen announcement. Only second because I haven't seen the results yet. Every opportunity to go to number one. Can't ask for more than that. 

Ha, if you remember the Hernandez trade I'd think '86 was the best Mets moment of your lifetime.

I was born in '87, so for me it's either this, 2015 or 2000. I think this is bigger because there's genuine reason to believe we could sustain that kind of success.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

In my lifetime:

For Rick Owneby and Neil Allen,? I am older than you, will be 63 in a month. May I add two  to yours, please?

1) 1968.... Jerry Koosman arrives. Having #41 win ROY the year before, I can remember being so excited that now, two out of every 4 days, the Mets had a great chance to win. Was pretty heady stuff for a young Mets fan in those days. The beginning of the Tom and Jerry show.

2) 1972.....Mrs. Payson brings home the greatest ballplayer I ever saw, Willie Mays. Sure, he was at the end, but it didn't matter. One year later, having Willie in the clubhouse certainly helped hold that team together until they got healthy and won their 2nd pennant. Was so lucky to have been at the game in late September that year, Willie Night. Will always remember the last part of his speech..." when I look in that dugout, and see these young kids, and how they're fighting for a pennant, it tells me one thing. Willie, say goodbye to America." Still chokes me up. Oh, by the way, Jerry went out and beat the Expos, 2-1, Tug with the save. Ya Gotta Believe.❤️

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, section314 said:

On SNY last night, they made it sound like the Mets and Bauer may be getting serious.  Supposedly they have reached out to Charlie Morton also.

If Bauer is signed, I am ok with them not getting Realmuto. I understand the offset.

BUT, they MUST improve defense up the middle. That starts with C, so maybe they pivot to Molina for 2 years. They also have to move Nimmo off CF.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If Bauer is signed, I am ok with them not getting Realmuto. I understand the offset.

BUT, they MUST improve defense up the middle. That starts with C, so maybe they pivot to Molina for 2 years. They also have to move Nimmo off CF.

As good as Bauer is, I would rather get Springer and Realmuto.

• Upvote 1

Mets prospect ranking. One man's opinion, and opinions on these after limited analysis of 2020 performance is dangerous, but here it is. Important to note that ETA on many of these 2023 and 2024. Mets need some "hold the fort" guys in a few key positions (C, CF, SP). 

I will only include the top 10 because that is all that matters, but link attached

https://sny.tv/articles/mets-top-20-prospects-for-the-2021-season

With no minor league season in 2020 due to COVID-19, doing a top prospect list is a little different than it has been for me in years past. 

Typically, I take into account not only the tools and the upside, but performance has to play into the equation. We have no “performance” to go off short of how a few prospects looked at the alternate training site in Brooklyn or in instructs down in Port St Lucie. 

The Mets' system right now is a bit top heavy, lacking premium depth, but is also very young. A lot of players on this list have not played above A ball yet. Some haven’t even played in the United States yet.

There are plenty of prospects to be excited about, but it is still a farm system that probably should rank in the 17-to-21 range in the game. As new owner Steve Cohen said, there will be a focus on improving the farm system, so I think when I write this list next year, it may be in better overall shape.

It is also worth noting there have been changes across the entire minor league baseball landscape, and all teams are expected to have only four affiliates each starting next season. The Mets' 2021 affiliates will be:

· Triple-A: Syracuse

· Double-A: Binghamton

· High-A: Brooklyn

· Low-A: St Lucie

Now, here are SNY’s Top 20 Mets prospects for the 2021 season...

1. C Francisco Alvarez

How Acquired: Signed as an international Free Agent in 2018

Alvarez is an 18-year-old catcher who received the opportunity to go to the Mets' alternate training site in Brooklyn this summer as well as the instructional league in Port St Lucie this fall. Alvarez has a compact, easy swing at the plate that produces natural power to center and the opposite way. People within the organization rave about his improvements behind the plate, including great pop time on throws to second base. If you told me that I had to pick one prospect in the system who is most likely to make an All-Star game, it is Alvarez.

MLB ETA: 2023

2. RHP Matt Allan

How Acquired: Drafted in the 3rd round (No. 89 overall) of the 2019 MLB Draft

Some may be surprised to see Allan ranked here, but I am incredibly high on the right-hander. The 19-year-old impressed at the alternative site to the point that Mets manager Luis Rojas even mentioned him as someone they hoped could help the big league team. That was a bit of a stretch, but he is very advanced with an already big league body at 6’3” and 225 lbs. Right now, Allan has a three-pitch-mix with both his mid-90s fastball and elite spin rate curveball being plus offerings. His changeup has been a big focus where he’s made that into an average offering that flashes above-average. With some more development of his third pitch, Allan has all the makings of a No. 2 starter.

3. SS Ronny Mauricio

How Acquired: Signed as an international free agent in 2017

Many have Mauricio as the No. 1 prospect in the system, but to me he was a prospect who was very much affected by the lost minor league season, as I thought he would have a chance to show up in High-A this year. He is a big-bodied shortstop who is likely to outgrow the position, but he still has soft hands and an above-average arm that profiles nicely at third base. At the plate, he is still a bit raw, but he has shown the ability to turn on the inside pitch and hit it with some power from the left side. At some point the tools have to lead to some results, as he has a career .681 OPS in the minors. I am still excited about his potential, but I am just more excited by Alvarez and Allan at this point.

MLB ETA: 2022

4. OF Pete Crow-Armstrong

How Acquired: Drafted in the first round (No. 19 overall) of the 2020 MLB Draft

Crow-Armstrong had the opportunity to go to instructs and did not look out of place. He balls gap-to-gap and even had a 107 mph exit velocity home run. Where his power ends up long-term will tell a lot of his upside. His hit and run tools show above-average, but his biggest strength is defensively, where he is truly plus in center field. Former director of player development Jared Banner told MLB.com in regards to Crow-Armstrong’s defense: “You could put him in center field in a big league game today and he’d be one of the best.”

MLB ETA: 2024

5. 3B Brett Baty

How Acquired: Drafted in the first round (No. 12 overall) of the 2019 MLB Draft

The first draft pick of former GM Brodie Van Wagenen’s regime in a sense personifies the build of a Mets prospect. He has plus raw power to all fields, he has plus knowledge of the strike zone, but there is some wonder about his overall hit tool and where he ends up on the diamond. Baty is currently a third baseman, but there is wonder in the scouting community if his future is at first base. He is a tireless worker, and he has made some strides at third, but the questions still remain. Baty was drafted as an older high school player and is already 21 years old. The loss of the 2020 minor league season impacted his development as well. I think the Mets ought to be aggressive and push him to High-A Brooklyn and have him skip Low-A to start 2021.

6. RHP J.T. Ginn

How Acquired: Drafted in the second round (#52 overall) of the 2020 MLB Draft

The Mets finessed their draft pool allotment in 2019 to work out signing Allan in the third round, and in 2020 they did the same thing to work out signing Ginn (pictured above) in the second round. Ginn is one of the rare first round picks out of high school to go to college, and unfortunately this March he had to undergo Tommy John surgery. If Ginn had not been injured, he would not have made it to the Mets' first-round pick, let alone their second. There is opportunity for this to be a steal. Ginn has a bowling ball of a sinker that gets up to 97 mph and a plus slider. He needs work on the changeup, but Ginn could be a legit No. 2 or No. 3 starter. By all accounts, he is ahead of schedule in his rehab.

7. 3B Mark Vientos

How Acquired: Drafted in the second round (No. 59 overall) of the 2017 MLB Draft

Vientos is a prospect who will make it to the big leagues if his power brings him there. The power tool is above average with the chance to be a 20+ home run threat. He shows the ability to consistently barrel the ball and produced some of the best exit velocities in the organization. The hit tool is below average, and I do not expect him to ever hit for a high average. Defensively, he should be an average regular at third base with limited range but a plus arm.

MLB ETA: 2022

8. RHP Josh Wolf

How Acquired: Drafted in the second round (No. 53 overall) of the 2019 MLB Draft

Wolf was the Mets' second-round pick in the 2019 MLB Draft, where he was compared to Lance McCullers Jr. of the Astros by MLB.com’s Jim Callis. Wolf still has room to fill out at 6’3” and 170 pounds, but he shows a plus fastball topping out at 97 mph. His curve is an above-average offering that flashes plus. He needs to throw it more and develop more consistency with it, but I expect it to be a quality offering as he moves up the chain. His changeup needs a lot of work, which isn’t uncommon for high school draft picks, but when he throws it right it gets some nice fade away from left-handed hitters. Wolf is a high-ceiling arm.

9. OF Isaiah Greene

How Acquired: Drafted in the third round (No. 69 overall) of the 2020 MLB Draft

Greene, the Mets' 2020 third-round pick, was a pop-up prospect that the Mets had an eye on as he was spotted by their area scout Glenn Walker. Greene never played on an All American team, but he participated and performed at the Area Code games where he got the chance to be on the scout team against Team USA -- and really shined there. He has plus speed and profiles to be able to play center field. I don’t expect power to really be much of his game, but if he can hit for average and control the strike zone, he could end up as a valuable asset. The Mets believe they got a steal with Greene, thinking he should have been long gone by the 69th pick.

10. RHP Robert Dominguez

How Acquired: Signed as an International free agent in 2019

Call this a bold ranking, but the excitement about Dominguez being described to me by people in the organization have me excited and willing to make the decision to put him top 10. The Mets believe they signed the best arm in the 2019 international free agent class with Dominguez. When the Mets signed him he was throwing in the low-90s, but Dominguez has a high work ethic and with some mechanical adjustments has started throwing in the mid-90s and touching 99 mph. Dominguez has a feel for a breaking ball. His changeup is basically non-existent at the moment, and that will determine long-term if he ends up a starter or a two pitch power reliever. I am optimistic that Dominguez could end up as a big league starter with big time power stuff.

• Upvote 2

On 11/14/2020 at 10:06 AM, Scott Dierking said:

In my lifetime:

No love for the Gary Carter trade? That was huge.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Gary Carter was a big deal. I remember exactly when it happened. With the obvious lack of social media at the time, the trade was announced during a Monday night Football game while I was in college, and I announced to my roommates, "The Mets have just clinched at least one World Series in the next 4 years".

While that was a huge moment, I like the Cohen deal better.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Alsonso
Conforto
deGrom
Noah
Stroman

That is a pretty good core to work with. Throw some money at the pen.

I'd add Dom Smith to that list. Took his game to another level last year. Solis bat and improving defensive skills. Guy worked hard in the off season and I expect the same this one.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2020 at 9:06 AM, Scott Dierking said:

In my lifetime:

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Carter-Hernandez trades (as well as George Foster the year before although that one didn't work out) all go back to hiring Frank Cashen, which in my mind is probably the closest thing to Cohen buying the team.  We brought in a GM with a history of having built a winner and it was clear from these moves (even if they didn't all work out) that he was determined to upgrade the roster.  Good time to be a Met fan right now.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The Carter-Hernandez trades (as well as George Foster the year before although that one didn't work out) all go back to hiring Frank Cashen, which in my mind is probably the closest thing to Cohen buying the team.  We brought in a GM with a history of having built a winner and it was clear from these moves (even if they didn't all work out) that he was determined to upgrade the roster.  Good time to be a Met fan right now.

I was honestly too young (but I should have known better) the effect of bringing in a proven GM at that time. I just did not resonate with me. But you are correct.

• Upvote 1