Add Steve Young to the list

AFJF

On 11/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, jgb said:

Even if it's too late for Lawrence -- which I do not believe it is -- the Jets should address the root cause of all this chatter and try to fix it.

Well, then the Johnson Brothers have to fire themselves, which is never, ever, happening. Anyone remember 'The John Lynch Affair'? He is extremely close friends with Herman Edwards, their families are friends, Herman Edwards was Godfather to Lynch's daughter. So, Herman Edwards wanted John Lynch to come to the Jets and John Lynch pretty much gave him a verbal on it. Anything for my buddy, why not.

Woody Johnson and her Herm invite John Lynch to the facility, give him the grand tour of the offices, The Old Dump, the field, the locker room, talk about niceties, shake hands, and Lynch shockingly and embarrassingly calls up a couple days later and says, "Mmmm, nah, upon further consideration, I was only joking!"

I kind of held that. I was so personally insulted all these years later that I wanted him to fail in San Francisco, lol.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. The #1 overall pick has always goo e to teams in disarray. Did anyone say these things to the #1 overall picks that went to Cleveland. They are arguably as inept. The difference is they have talent. 

Yes they did.  There were rumors that Sam or one of those QBs wouldn't go to Cleveland if they picked him.  They were even asked point blank if they would pass. 

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

TL has no leverage.  He gives up a year and the money to not play a full year?  For all the talk of an Eli maneuver, what if SD didnt get a great deal to trade Eli for Rivers, who was a equally thought of prospect and the pick that became Merriman within an hour of picking Eli?  Was he going to sit out?  Doubtful.  Jim Kelly screamed over and over for the Bills to skip over him, that he would never, ever play in Buffalo.   When they picked him he went on for days telling all that he wasnt going to show.  Never happened. 

Exactly.

If JD and the Jets do this right, which is still an unknown, this won't even be a question.

Hire the right coach, sign quality offensive FA's and draft TL whether he wants you to or not (he's not going back to school) then go on to draft more offense with your other premium picks (which they should be doing regardless of TL) and you'll see a completely transformed team with real offensive promise.  He'll be happy to play here.

Now, if we keep Gase, sign high priced D FA's and draft edges and corners like many here want us to do - then he may actually make a stink.  And I couldn't blame him because it would be clear the Jets still don't understand how the league works.

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Young made more money because he went to the USFL, not less. 

His USFL team went belly-up before the rest of the league did.  Sensing the team's demise (since Young saw the team had no money to perform important daily business functions, like pay the bus driver (see wikipedia), Young bought out his contract.

He never got the millions he was promised (he agreed to a very long-term payout schedule).

And he went to a bush-league.  My point was that Young made poor decisions and might not be a good person to follow when giving advise to college players.

• Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Exactly.

If JD and the Jets do this right, which is still an unknown, this won't even be a question.

Hire the right coach, sign quality offensive FA's and draft TL whether he wants you to or not (he's not going back to school) then go on to draft more offense with your other premium picks (which they should be doing regardless of TL) and you'll see a completely transformed team with real offensive promise.  He'll be happy to play here.

Now, if we keep Gase, sign high priced D FA's and draft edges and corners like many here want us to do - then he may actually make a stink.  And I couldn't blame him because it would be clear the Jets still don't understand how the league works.

And this message and plan needs to be told to TLs people/agents/parents.  Starts with the non support in Sams two early seasons were a different regime, not going to happen here with Trevor.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, talonmm said:

His USFL team went belly-up before the rest of the league did.  Sensing the team's demise (since Young saw the team had no money to perform important daily business functions, like pay the bus driver (see wikipedia), Young bought out his contract.

He never got the millions he was promised (he agreed to a very long-term payout schedule).

And he went to a bush-league.  My point was that Young made poor decisions and might not be a good person to follow when giving advise to college players.

And for all his bs, he went to the Tampa Bay Bucks, a much worse history than the Jets, in a much worse market and with less earning power than NYC.  Who’s he to talk, he didn’t take on anyone.  

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And this message and plan needs to be told to TLs people/agents/parents.  Starts with the non support in Sams two early seasons were a different regime, not going to happen here with Trevor.

I agree.   We need to be loud and public about the intentions. 

Only problem is - JD, famously, made a promise to Darnold's mom how we was going to get her son the weapons and protection he needed...and then went on to dismantle the team.

https://apnews.com/article/8708440fd395cbe07c8c487081766e50

I'm sure he can work around that too-but it is a concern.

He just has to lead with actions and we'll be fine.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree.   We need to be loud and public about the intentions. 

Only problem is - JD, famously, made a promise to Darnold's mom how we was going to get her son the weapons and protection he needed...and then went on to dismantle the team.

I'm sure he can work around that too-but it is a concern.

He just didn't tell her that these things were going to come from the team that he trades Sam to. ?

• Haha 1

If the Jets have the first pick and Trevor is their first choice (assuming he has elected to come out), then they take him.  Where he wants to play is irrelevant.  He does not get to choose. Period.  Either play for the Jets or forfeit potentially hundreds of millions of dollars.  With that ultimatum, he will sign with the Jets and start his career here.  If he's the real deal, he will win some games, provide excitement, and soon find out that there is no better place in the world to be a star athlete than New York.  Ask Joe Namath, Derrek Jeter and Lawrence Taylor.  If I am missing something, I have an open mind.  Willing to hear the other side.

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

Well, then the Johnson Brothers have to fire themselves, which is never, ever, happening. Anyone remember 'The John Lynch Affair'? He is extremely close friends with Herman Edwards, their families are friends, Herman Edwards was Godfather to Lynch's daughter. So, Herman Edwards wanted John Lynch to come to the Jets and John Lynch pretty much gave him a verbal on it. Anything for my buddy, why not.

Woody Johnson and her Herm invite John Lynch to the facility, give him the grand tour of the offices, The Old Dump, the field, the locker room, talk about niceties, shake hands, and Lynch shockingly and embarrassingly calls up a couple days later and says, "Mmmm, nah, upon further consideration, I was only joking!"

I kind of held that. I was so personally insulted all these years later that I wanted him to fail in San Francisco, lol.

They don't need to sell. They just need to fire themselves as Head of Football Operations.

3 hours ago, talonmm said:

If he'd instead gone straight to the NFL it would have cost him millions, and his football career on balance would have been worse. I don't know where you get the crazy idea from that Young had to pay his own money to buy out of a contract with a defunct league/team that no longer existed. He took an early, lower $1MM cash payout rather than let it linger & fight over an annuity that'd allegedly start paying him years later (if the money to pay it hadn't vanished by then). The only buyout of his I'm aware of was his VC firm's $100MM fraud settlement a couple years ago.

I think you're looking at this with y2020 eyes, and it seems are relying upon wikipedia for validation, rather than what the league's perception was when Young signed with LA's USFL franchise. And even in doing so, you're ignoring the plain fact that Young would have made millions less if he'd gone to the Bengals instead of the Express, that ultimately led to his HOF career with the 49ers. 

I don't see what the LA Express (and USFL in general) eventually folding - with Young a richer man on paper as a result - has to do with disqualifying his views almost 40 years later on a prospect's 2021 decision, whether one agrees with his advice or not.