Add Steve Young to the list

AFJF

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

FA may be before the draft, but doesn’t Lawrence - as well as Fields and Wilson, for that matter - have to declare in January, well before FA starts?

It used to be later (e.g. Peyton Manning opting to return to Tenn in March ‘97) but now underclassmen have to declare in Janaury.

I don’t know about any exceptions if they haven’t hired agents (i.e. they’re not officially “pro” people yet if no money’s exchanged hands nor professional contracts signed yet) but I don’t think so. It’s also possible there may be a carve-out created to declare later, due to COVID, but nothing’s been announced so far as I’m aware.

It's January. It's more likely that he would pull an Eli Manning rather then a Peyton Manning.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm sick of this narrative, can it be that Sam was just hyped up to much & hes just not that good? 

But why can’t it be both?

Whatever you think of Darnold - good or not good.  He was a better player his rookie year and it’s very easy to see that the Jets did nothing to help develop him. 

In fact, the Jets did pretty much the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do when you bring in a highly drafted QB.

Maybe he busts anyway - or maybe he doesn’t ...

But if you’re a commentator looking at it from the outside, it’s very easy to see and understand why there’s serious concerns about the Jets organization and ability to develop a franchise QB.

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Everyone hates the Jets and never want to see us become great. They are all jealous of the thought of Trevor Lawrence a Jet.

Remind Steve Young that

A.) He'll already have a Franchise LT waiting to protect his blindside in Becton. 

B.) A+ Salary Cap in order to improve our offensive talent around him. 

C.) The most amount of draft capital compared to any other team over the next 3 years in order to build around him. 

D.) Are all of these experts advising him to "stay in school" willing to pay his 9-5 salary, pay for his future children's college education, buy his parents their dream home, purchase Trevor's dream car etc after a potential season/career ending 2021 injury?

E.) If not? They can all simply STFU. 

Were all of these talking heads advising Dak Prescott before his season ending injury to decline Dallas's max contract extension too? lol. 

My concern here —— Is JD’s word any good?

He did make that famous statement to Darnold’s Mom (and sure his agent) promising to help him with a line and weapons...

And then went on to completely dismantle any talent we had a sign a bunch of back-ups.  

They’re going to need to make a big splash with the HC.  

The Jets are not the Bengals and Burrows didnt bat an eye about going to Cincinnati. The Benglas have not won a post season game since 1990 when Boomer Esiason was the QB. The Bengals lost to a Raiders team with Bo Jackson and a 24 year old Tim Brown. Do you want to talk about a dumpster fire franchise to avoid?

The Browns have a history of being the NFLs HC and QB graveyard and Mayfield didnt complain about the Browns taking him. Mayfield is on his 3rd HC in 3 seasons and this new HC wont last either. Just watch when things start going sideways.

At least the Jets are stable at giving a HC a fair chance. Bowles got 4 years, Rex got 6 years, Herm got 5 years. The Jets havent pleaded their case yet. Cap room galore, 2 - 1st picks in the next 2 drafts, 5 picks rounds 1 - 3 in the 2021 draft, maybe a new HC and one thats a QB whisperer is the plan forward.

Theres lots of positives about playing for the NY Jets.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But why can’t it be both?

Whatever you think of Darnold - good or not good.  He was a better player his rookie year and it’s very easy to see that the Jets did nothing to help develop him. 

In fact, the Jets did pretty much the exact opposite of what you’re supposed to do when you bring in a highly drafted QB.

Maybe he busts anyway - or maybe he doesn’t ...

But if you’re a commentator looking at it from the outside, it’s very easy to see and understand why there’s serious concerns about the Jets organization and ability to develop a franchise QB.

But that's the past. Clearly Joe Douglas has started to rebuild the Oline. The Oline without Becton played pretty well last night. This is why Steve Young & every other commentators saying Lawrence should avoid the Jets is just clickbait. An astute observer would have given football fans a more clearer picture of Joe Douglas vision of cleaning out bad contracts, having 18 draft picks the next 2 years & a team with the highest cap dollars available this offseason. Jets are in a much better position right now than the Jaguars. 

• WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

But that's the past. Clearly Joe Douglas has started to rebuild the Oline. The Oline without Becton played pretty well last night. This is why Steve Young & every other commentators saying Lawrence should avoid the Jets is just clickbait. An astute observer would have given football fans a more clearer picture of Joe Douglas vision of cleaning out bad contracts, having 18 draft picks the next 2 years & a team with the highest cap dollars available this offseason. Jets are in a much better position right now than the Jaguars. 

Other than Bechton, JD has been just as bad. 
not keeping Robby, signing other teams back-ups to the OL.  
JD made this team worse.  
I agree, it’s ultimately in the teams long-term best interest but the team, particularly the offense, is worse overall than it was when JD took over.  

• Thumb Down 1

The attack on commentators/former players that share this opinion remind me of an employee I had once. He was consistently late four days a week to work. I sat him down and said if he was late one more time that month, I'd have to let him go. The next day he was late. He claimed there was an issue with his car or whatever. Brought me a signed note from a motorist he claimed stopped to assist him, had pictures on his phone of his car on the side of the road, etc.

I told him sorry, this is your last day. You may have an excuse for each individual time you've been late, including today -- and some of them may even be credible -- but you're being let go for the pattern.

We can claim bias/brain damage/idiocy/attention-whoring for each individual talking head that expresses this opinion. But the pattern is the concerning part and it seems to be growing.

50 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

The Jets are not the Bengals and Burrows didnt bat an eye about going to Cincinnati. The Benglas have not won a post season game since 1990 when Boomer Esiason was the QB. The Bengals lost to a Raiders team with Bo Jackson and a 24 year old Tim Brown. Do you want to talk about a dumpster fire franchise to avoid?

The Browns have a history of being the NFLs HC and QB graveyard and Mayfield didnt complain about the Browns taking him. Mayfield is on his 3rd HC in 3 seasons and this new HC wont last either. Just watch when things start going sideways.

At least the Jets are stable at giving a HC a fair chance. Bowles got 4 years, Rex got 6 years, Herm got 5 years. The Jets havent pleaded their case yet. Cap room galore, 2 - 1st picks in the next 2 drafts, 5 picks rounds 1 - 3 in the 2021 draft, maybe a new HC and one thats a QB whisperer is the plan forward.

Theres lots of positives about playing for the NY Jets.

The problem is the Johnsons have brought this franchise to an all-time low.  10 years, 0 playoff appearances, headed to 0-16, ruined Sam, and Gase probably is back next year 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetophile said:

So the Jets could potentially be courting someone who doesn't want to be here, I'm already over it. Next.

Even if it's too late for Lawrence -- which I do not believe it is -- the Jets should address the root cause of all this chatter and try to fix it.

45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Other than Bechton, JD has been just as bad. 
not keeping Robby, signing other teams back-ups to the OL.  
JD made this team worse.  
I agree, it’s ultimately in the teams long-term best interest but the team, particularly the offense, is worse overall than it was when JD took over.  

No team can account for injuries, look at the 49ers this year. First time we had all 3 of our WRs. None of us knew Herndon was going to turn out to be a bum either & JD had nothing to do with him. 

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

I like all these people telling someone to risk 40mm guaranteed.

There is no risk.  He'll still be the #1 pick, it just won't be coming here.

It's all about leveredge.  The Jets have none, T.L., the "generational QB" has all of it.

All the many root-for-losses-fans better hope T.L. and his reps don't realize that.

Because if they do, and it comes down to who blinks, I'd bet JD/Johnsons would.

And wouldn't that be ironic after this poopshow of a season.  That's why we see some fans already hedging their bets and telling us "they'd be good with Fields", lol.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jetophile said:

So the Jets could potentially be courting someone who doesn't want to be here, I'm already over it. Next.

Lawrence hasn't said a thing! If we have the 1st pick the first thing JD will do is fly down to meet with Trevor & lay out his vision for the TEAM. This is a team sport. Anyone who thinks Joe Douglas will ignore our most urgent needs is just being ignorant. Just 2 moves on the Oline & at WR in free agency can help the offense. 8 draft picks after the QB can help everywhere too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetster said:

Lawrence hasn't said a thing! If we have the 1st pick the first thing JD will do is fly down to meet with Trevor & lay out his vision for the TEAM. This is a team sport. Anyone who thinks Joe Douglas will ignore our most urgent needs is just being ignorant. Just 2 moves on the Oline & at WR in free agency can help the offense. 8 draft picks after the QB can help everywhere too. 

The coach we hire will have a huge impact. We could go our typical coordinator route -- or bring in a credible name such as Harbaugh or Cowher. I prefer option 2 because this team needs a culture shock and coordinators who are first-time HCs need at least some time to grow into the role.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's all about leveredge.  The Jets have none, T.L., the "generational QB" has all of it.

All the many root-for-losses-fans better hope T.L. and his reps don't realize that.

And wouldn't that be ironic after this poopshow of a season.  That's why we see some fans already hedging their bets and telling us "they'd be good with Fields", lol.

All of you guys are thinking way too much. Joe Douglas is very well respected, now if this was that idiot Macc, no way he comes here. It's obvious to anyone that knows about football this team needed a house cleaning. It's all about assets going forward & the Jets hold way more cards than anyone around them at the top of this draft. Jax? Please, Atlanta? Their time has passed, Detroit? Nope, player agents get a cut of the contract, if we're picking #1, Trevor Lawrence will be a New York Jet. 

53 minutes ago, Jetster said:

No team can account for injuries, look at the 49ers this year. First time we had all 3 of our WRs. None of us knew Herndon was going to turn out to be a bum either & JD had nothing to do with him. 

Let's assume you are right.  It's just bad luck and not just more excuse making.

Steve Young simply isn't following that closely, that's what I'm referencing here.  What guys like him see is we draft a "Franchise" QB who has a solid rookie year, showing growth and progress...And then a team that did absolutely nothing to support the next year - then they bring in a new GM who puts out, possibly, the worst offense in the history of the NFL.

All I'm saying is it's easy for them to see the organization, including JD, as being a disaster and reason to recommend him not coming out.

I agree, it's click bait for sure - but there's solid reasoning behind it.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The problem is the Johnsons have brought this franchise to an all-time low.  10 years, 0 playoff appearances, headed to 0-16, ruined Sam, and Gase probably is back next year 

No offense, but I see Sam as another Pennington. Just good enough that you dont want to give up on him yet. Surely Lawrence knows that he is going to an NFL franchise that has struggled to win partly because of the QB. Burrow went to a team that hasnt won a post season game in 30 years.

The Jets ran through a playoff drought due to bad GMs. Douglas doesnt look that way to me at the moment. The Seahawks have one of the best front offices in the NFL (IMO) and Douglas fleeced them in the Adams deal. 

Lawrence is a winner and thats what it takes to change failure. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

It's January. It's more likely that he would pull an Eli Manning rather then a Peyton Manning.

Yeah, could be that he goes Eli/Elway/Bo. Normally I wouldn't think so, but sports media is giving him so much coverage to make such a decision that it won't even seem so controversial. Even when Eli did it, almost everyone pointed to him as a spoiled brat like, Who does he think he is?

The problem for Lawrence here is he'll end up sitting out the year and, unlike Bo, doesn't have the baseball career potential of an Elway or Bo. Because as bad as the Jets are, they still have 3 more 1st round picks from 2021-2022 aside from the #1 overall in 2021, and do still have Darnold under his rookie contract for another year. It would be better if that pick didn't simply vanish, of course, but the Jets are in a better position (on paper) than the Colts, Bucs, and Bolts when the other 3 prospects refused to play for the teams that drafted them.

The Jets could trade that #1 pick away and get an insane windfall (duh), but their problem isn't that they don't have enough draft picks to right the ship. That's what 2020 was for; 2021 and 2022 is for using those extra picks, not re-parlaying them into even more. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, talonmm said:

Would you take advise from this fool who choose to start his professional career in the USFL and not the NFL?  

As far as financial advise, Young reportedly took a huge annuity from his USFL team that would pay him for decades to come, and when the USFL went belly up, he never received his money (and he even had tried to buy out his contract to get to the NFL).  Yea a great example of who not to listen to.

Young made more money because he went to the USFL, not less. 

• Upvote 1

This pile on from the media is getting ridiculous. Its nothing new that the media hates the NYJ and revels in its butt fumbling ineptitude.

But they’re now promoting college kids from joining the league if it means coming here. 

It’s too much and they can all get run over by the bandwagon that they’ll be trying to jump on...if and when we are ever actually good.

• Thumb Down 1

On 11/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, Maxman said:

I like all these people telling someone to risk 40mm guaranteed.

It's not 40M Trevor should be concerned about.  That is guaranteed.

It's the Mahomes-like half a billion on the second contract that is at risk with the Jets organization.

The Jets' best pitch to TL is that there is only one team even less desirable.  The small-market, irrelevant Jacksonville Jaguars.

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Lawrence hire Tom Condon as his agent, look out.

It's honestly pretty disgraceful how many millionaires are telling the kid that he should walk away from millions while his stock is as high as it's going to get, risk injury for another year just so he can maybe join a slightly less terrible team.  

Bunch of loudmouth pricks. Deion Sanders and Roddy f*cking White would have given anything to go first overall.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2020 at 7:54 PM, 82nd Airborne said:

There is no guarantee that he will be the top player next year.  Many things can happen and risking his status as the top player would be a huge gamble.  

Remember we all thought the same about Darnold and look what happened!!

• Thumb Down 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:22 AM, Warfish said:

TL has no leverage.  He gives up a year and the money to not play a full year?  For all the talk of an Eli maneuver, what if SD didnt get a great deal to trade Eli for Rivers, who was a equally thought of prospect and the pick that became Merriman within an hour of picking Eli?  Was he going to sit out?  Doubtful.  Jim Kelly screamed over and over for the Bills to skip over him, that he would never, ever play in Buffalo.   When they picked him he went on for days telling all that he wasnt going to show.  Never happened.