Becton > Sewell

Vader

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

And if no one wants to trade up?

That’s the likely scenario. If Fields recent play didn’t set a bidding market for the #2 pick, it drastically reduces the likelihood someone will want to trade up to #2. Cincinnati will likely take Sewell at three, but who is going to trade up for Sewell? 

• Upvote 4

Russell Wilson is considered a top 5 QB in this league! DK Metcalf is a BEAST! Tyler Lockett is fast as sh*t! Chris Carson is powerful & fast! None of that sh*t mattered a lick on Saturday because just like Darnold for most of his career, Russell was running for his life & getting hit! No QB succeeds behind Olines that have holes! The Browns Oline was creating huge holes for Chubb & Hunt. They don't win that game without that running game! Fant can't run block for his life! Thats why Carroll let him go because he wants to run the ball to protect Wilson. 

We can cut Fant & use his money (8 million) to fill a hole (Center? Guard? Edge? CB?) Average QBs can look amazing behind great olines without top 10 talent. 

Was Jefferies a top 10 WR when Philly won the Super Bowl? Nelson Agholor? Torrey Smith? How about the RBs? Top 10? Jay Ajayi? Legarrette Blount? Cory Clement? Maybe Ertz was top 10 at TE then. But the point is Joe Douglas has PLENTY of assets besides the #2 pick in the draft if he takes Pennei Sewell!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Vader said:

That’s the likely scenario. If Fields recent play didn’t set a bidding market for the #2 pick, it drastically reduces the likelihood someone will want to trade up to #2. Cincinnati will likely take Sewell at three, but who is going to trade up for Sewell? 

Miami is at #3

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

It’s malpractice to take a RT at 2. We have our generational LT. Build the rest of the line in FA and later in the draft. Either Joe D finds a QB he loves or he sells the pick to someone that does. That simple.

Why is everyone clamoring for more picks? Your not using your #2 pick for a RT, Sewell is BETTER & tougher than Becton. You picked a RT (Becton at #11). Your picking a better LT & creating a better RT & cutting Fant and subsidizing the cost of an upgraded Guard Spot in free agency. 
The Jets have only 1 guy, ONE who will get resigned for an above average salary & thats Maye! You guys saying you can’t use #2 on Sewell are probably the same guys that wanted to sign Jordan Jenkins to a 3 year deal, or were shocked we signed Poole back so cheaply. 
We have nobody breaking the bank folks! Joe Douglas will have his choice of free agents, the catch is will they come here? 
This free agency is full of players. We also have late draft capital to take on a couple of contracts to aid teams over the cap like the Saints (maybe Lattimore?). 
If you want more draft capital trade back at #23 or #34 if you can & put yourself in position for real VALUE where guys like Josh Myers & Olave, Terrace Marshall will reside in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. That’s where we can get speedy LBs to help the defense & special teams. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, prime21 said:

What if we signed Thuney and drafted Sewell?  Maybe get  Najee if available with our second pick and this would be a tremendous off season for Sam if the plan is to retain him.  

Build a great OL and have an excellent running game 

It helped Baker this year, alot

• Upvote 2

If you watched the Browns-Steelers game and saw what having those studs all across the OL did to the Steelers, you know what i am talking about. Some of those guys went out injured but before they did, they weren’t just beating the Steelers, they were beating the piss out of the Steelers. 

Also note that I am saying if you draft Sewell - not necessarily advocating it, just spitballing - you have the ability to get very creative along the OL and blocking schemes, forcing a defense to account for things that they are not usually accustomed to. IOW, you aren’t drafting a RT at #2, your are drafting the ability to do elite things on OL, in a running and passing game, in a way that is difficult to describe because it is so rare — I don’t just mean bookends... I mean lining up interchangeable guys all across the line with no one lining up out of position.

Besides BPA and Parcells Planet Theory say so.      

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Vader said:

If you watched the Browns-Steelers game and saw what having those studs all across the OL did to the Steelers, you know what i am talking about. Some of those guys went out injured but before they did, they weren’t just beating the Steelers, they were beating the piss out of the Steelers. 

Also note that I am saying if you draft Sewell - not necessarily advocating it, just spitballing - you have the ability to get very creative along the OL and blocking schemes, forcing a defense to account for things that they are not usually accustomed to. IOW, you aren’t drafting a RT at #2, your are drafting the ability to do elite things on OL, in a running and passing game, in a way that is difficult to describe because it is so rare — I don’t just mean bookends... I mean lining up interchangeable guys all across the line with no one lining up out of position.

What frustrates me about the no way in hell you take Sewell at #2 guys is this idea that the Jets don't have the assets to build a superior Oline which is a false narrative! 

They could sign Thuney, a WR & Edge guy (Maybe take on a contract of someone like Lattimore) draft Sewell, trade back from the #23 or #34, or stay & and take another stud WR, maybe a TE, maybe CB, or Edge or in a trade back land a Center & move McGovern to Guard. 

Instead of building an OK Oline, JD has the ability to build a top 3 Oline & put very good offensive talent out there to boot! It's not an either or scenario when you have 3 picks in the top 34 & a lot of cap dollars. There are like 6 STUD WRs going in the 1st round probably. There aren't 6 stud tackles. 

We have 9 picks next year too. Including another 2 first rounders. 

13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mandarich’s issue was steroid and substance abuse.

Although there was another few times we passed on Tackles touted as all time great prospects. Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones to name a few. Good times.

Don't forget about Lam Jones over Anthony Munoz.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What frustrates me about the no way in hell you take Sewell at #2 guys is this idea that the Jets don't have the assets to build a superior Oline which is a false narrative! 

They could sign Thuney, a WR & Edge guy (Maybe take on a contract of someone like Lattimore) draft Sewell, trade back from the #23 or #34, or stay & and take another stud WR, maybe a TE, maybe CB, or Edge or in a trade back land a Center & move McGovern to Guard. 

Instead of building an OK Oline, JD has the ability to build a top 3 Oline & put very good offensive talent out there to boot! It's not an either or scenario when you have 3 picks in the top 34 & a lot of cap dollars. There are like 6 STUD WRs going in the 1st round probably. There aren't 6 stud tackles. 

We have 9 picks next year too. Including another 2 first rounders. 

I wonder how frustrated you’ll be when Joe Douglas absolutely doesn’t draft Sewell, because he’s not even considering it. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I wonder how frustrated you’ll be when Joe Douglas absolutely doesn’t draft Sewell, because he’s not even considering it. 

If Cincy doesn't want to come & get Sewell, we're taking Sewell. Especially if we hire Saleh & he brings in that guy from the Niners that was their run coordinator. Saleh is a tough guy that wants a rough & tumble team, and if the New York Jets roll out next year with Sewell-Becton-Myers-McGovern-Becton type Oline, and add another RB like Sermon, with Perine & TY Johnson, Juju, Mims. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If Cincy doesn't want to come & get Sewell, we're taking Sewell. Especially if we hire Saleh & he brings in that guy from the Niners that was their run coordinator. Saleh is a tough guy that wants a rough & tumble team, and if the New York Jets roll out next year with Sewell-Becton-Myers-McGovern-Becton type Oline, and add another RB like Sermon, with Perine & TY Johnson, Juju, Mims. 

Ground and Pound baby! Let's party like it's 2009.

20 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Ground and Pound baby! Let's party like it's 2009.

Uh, is that what I said? Niners move the ball BOTH through the air & on the ground, its called BALANCE! A great oline will allow deeper throws with more time + deeper drops. 

37 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with you, but I think he has every incentive to act like he's taking him or indicate there's trade up interest in taking Sewell. The Bengals in particular would really want him I think and there's very little shot he makes it to 5.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Ain’t happening. 

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I agree with you, but I think he has every incentive to act like he's taking him or indicate there's trade up interest in taking Sewell. The Bengals in particular would really want him I think and there's very little shot he makes it to 5.

I think the QBs offer much better incentive to trade up, and probably better offers for the pick. Need them to rise up the boards like they generally do. Someone’s gonna fall in love with one of these guys. Maybe even Joe D. 

I like the idea of trading down with Cincy, especially if he wants some extra picks before taking a QB at #5, but does Cincy ever trade up? 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why are people pretending like they know what Douglas will do? 

Lots of projecting going on. None of us has any idea what Douglas is going to do. We don't even know who the coach is going to be yet. 

I just know what he’s not gonna do. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Why are people pretending like they know what Douglas will do? 

Lots of projecting going on. None of us has any idea what Douglas is going to do. We don't even know who the coach is going to be yet. 

Slats knows. Just ask him. I just THINK it's not outrageous he would draft Sewell, Slats knows for sure that picking Sewell is not happening. I think the only way he moves out of that spot is with Cincy because strategically if he moves back it's so we don't face Sewell twice a year. If they have a combine? Sewell is gonna blow minds, he's in another level than Becton who lasted to 11 is. BEAST. Sign Juju, draft Harris & have an offense that's tough & fast. 

1 hour ago, Vader said:

You are way too excited about one game.  The Steelers were in freefall.  They lost 4 of their last 5 (5 of 6 if you count the playoffs). That included losses to Washington and the Bengals with Ryan Finley.  Were you clamoring for the Browns offensive line when they were putting up 16 points and 45 yards rushing with the division and playoffs on the lien against a pitiful Jets team that still had a chance at #1 overall?   

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Slats knows. Just ask him. I just THINK it's not outrageous he would draft Sewell, Slats knows for sure that picking Sewell is not happening. I think the only way he moves out of that spot is with Cincy because strategically if he moves back it's so we don't face Sewell twice a year. If they have a combine? Sewell is gonna blow minds, he's in another level than Becton who lasted to 11 is. BEAST. Sign Juju, draft Harris & have an offense that's tough & fast. 

There’s not a single GM, perhaps in the history of the league, who was ever worried about facing a particular OT twice a year. But only because that’s ridiculous. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, oatmeal said:

That’s assuming Sewell is as dominant as he was in college, what if he’s just average, or bellow? You know those are possibilities regardless of what anyone would love to tell you. 

Say hello to Sewell before Sewell: 

image.jpeg

If you can't see the difference between a man who shaves his chest and penei Sewell, it's not worth trying to explain 

sewell2.gif.4ecb338f97424a988a3f3e31bea5ea55.gif

3 minutes ago, slats said:

There’s not a single GM, perhaps in the history of the league, who was ever worried about facing a particular OT twice a year. But only because that’s ridiculous. 

There are many gm who worry about their own tackles getting hurt and giving up sacks 

Cough cough 

Draft 1 player and instantly improve 2 position 

Or ya know roll the savior qb dice ? again 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There are many gm who worry about their own tackles getting hurt and giving up sacks 

Cough cough 

Draft 1 player and instantly improve 2 position 

Or ya know roll the savior qb dice ? again 

Leatherwood should be there at #23, and that would be a major investment. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slats said:

He won't have to worry about it because Cincy is the only team that might consider moving up. No ones coming up to #2 for any of this years QBs after Trevor goes #1. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

There has only been a few times in history that a team has 2 top 10 Tackles on the same team. Maybe Belichick should have been more worried since his defense was steamrolled by the Eagles in that Super Bowl. He only needed 1 stop, couldn't get it, even on 4th down with the Eagles on their own side of their field. Aaron Rogers worst year was behind a shaky injured Oline, Russell Wilson just got knocked out of the playoffs BECAUSE OF HIS OLINE, the Announcers for the Saints game kept pointing out how good the Oline was playing. This is a 2 year rebuild & we can build one of the best Olines in football. Let's do it! 

• Haha 1

Becton was a good pick at 11 even as a RT.   Look at Conklin signed for.  If you can get a player at 50% or less of what their FA value is, that seems like a good deal.  

At LT that pick is a steal.  But if the Jets take Sewell, two high draft picks at T is totally fine and allows the Jets to spend money on other things.  

I think, ultimately, the better picks at 11 were Wirfs, Jeudy and Lamb, but we will take Becton, particularly if he can come back next year in the same improved condition that QW returned in. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Leatherwood should be there at #23, and that would be a major investment. 

I wouldn't hate it. Leatherwood is very good. don't believe he makes it 23 by the way. 

I believe it was Parcells who used to say things like "don't go carving his bust for Canton just yet" 

They can go ahead and start carving Quenton Nelson. Sewell is that kind of player too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Build a great OL and have an excellent running game 

It helped Baker this year, alot

Conklin looked pretty damn good to Baker at RT right? How much money did the Browns pay for a RT? Was it worth it? Did you see how things stalled a bit when he got hurt? They had to put help out on that side for TJ Watt. Browns Oline was the difference in that game for Bakers success because the Steelers had to respect their tough running game. Meanwhile Ben threw 68 passes & lost. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Vader said:

I don't see anyone trading up for a tackle, BUT I would be really surprised if at least one team didn't fall in love with either Fields or Wilson. It just takes one and the QBs get hyped to death as the draft approaches. 

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Becton was a good pick at 11 even as a RT.   Look at Conklin signed for.  If you can get a player at 50% or less of what their FA value is, that seems like a good deal.  

At LT that pick is a steal.  But if the Jets take Sewell, two high draft picks at T is totally fine and allows the Jets to spend money on other things.  

I think, ultimately, the better picks at 11 were Wirfs, Jeudy and Lamb, but we will take Becton, particularly if he can come back next year in the same improved condition that QW returned in. 

And that's the point with Becton. He played RT in college. If Trevor Lawrence was not in this draft Pennei Sewell would be the 1st player off the board. No one was saying that last year about Becton if Burrow didn't come out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are way too excited about one game.  The Steelers were in freefall.  They lost 4 of their last 5 (5 of 6 if you count the playoffs). That included losses to Washington and the Bengals with Ryan Finley.  Were you clamoring for the Browns offensive line when they were putting up 16 points and 45 yards rushing with the division and playoffs on the lien against a pitiful Jets team that still had a chance at #1 overall?   

I wasn’t clamoring then and not now either, just pointing out what it looks like when an OL full of top performers is executing.