Becton > Sewell

Vader

Just spit ballin

Actually though, considering an OL anchored by these two, Ty Johnson’s of the world of course average 7 ypc. Imagine Freeman McNeil behind that line.

Maybe I’m crazy but you have these two guys AND at least one of them can kick inside (and you have Fant (or any other interchangeable OL)) — they could line up at any position on the line beside OC at any given play. You are forcing a front seven not just to make reads and id personnel at skill positions but also on the OL...

You could have bookends. Becton at LT and Sewell at LG. Becton at RG and Sewell at LT. Both on the right side. 

Now throw in skill personnel groupings.

You are a DC, how do you defend that? Coming out of the huddle it forces the D to match up - not who covers whom - but at the line of scrimmage.

At that point draft that Leonard Fullback guy from Rutgers. 

Teams be giving up in the 3rd qtr.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Vader said:

Just spit ballin

Actually though, considering an OL anchored by these two, Ty Johnson’s of the world of course average 7 ypc. Imagine Freeman McNeil behind that line.

Maybe I’m crazy but you have these two guys AND at least one of them can kick inside (and you have Fant (or any other interchangeable OL)) — they could line up at any position on the line beside OC at any given play. You are forcing a front seven not just to make reads and id personnel at skill positions but also on the OL...

You could have bookends. Becton at LT and Sewell at LG. Becton at RG and Sewell at LT. Both on the right side. 

Now throw in skill personnel groupings.

You are a DC, how do you defend that? Coming out of the huddle it forces the D to match up - not who covers whom - but at the line of scrimmage.

At that point draft that Leonard Fullback guy from Rutgers. 

Teams be giving up in the 3rd qtr.

That’s assuming Sewell is as dominant as he was in college, what if he’s just average, or bellow? You know those are possibilities regardless of what anyone would love to tell you. 

Say hello to Sewell before Sewell: 

image.jpeg

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

27 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

That’s assuming Sewell is as dominant as he was in college, what if he’s just average, or bellow? You know those are possibilities regardless of what anyone would love to tell you. 

image.jpeg

That can be said about Any potential top 5 draft pick... 

ryan-leaf1.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You should never draft top 5 draft picks because they could possibly not be as good in the NFL as they were in college ?

*This message brought to you by the Mike Maccagnan fan club

Just trade every pick into 6th rounders because Brady was drafted in the 6th round.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mandarich’s issue was steroid and substance abuse.

Although there was another few times we passed on Tackles touted as all time great prospects. Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones to name a few. Good times.

What I was trying to do was show a example of a “can’t miss tackle” with MASSIVE hype who turned out to be a decent guard and a complete bust as a LT. 

This situation gives me flashbacks of the same fantasies people had of Tony being this pancake machine, road graiding, badass, SOB of a tackle. 

Based on all the praise Sewell receives  he should come in and dominate, which is highly unlikely after missing a year 

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

image.jpeg

Mandarich had no feet

Sewell’s footwork is excellent 

They have as much in common as Ryan Leaf and Andrew Luck

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

What I was trying to do was show a example of a “can’t miss tackle” with MASSIVE hype who turned out to be a decent guard and a complete bust as a LT. 

This situation gives me flashbacks of the same fantasies people had of Tony being this pancake machine, road graiding, badass, SOB of a tackle. 

Based on all the praise he should come in and dominate, which is highly unlikely after missing a year 

Well this is still nonsense. There is an example of a can't miss prospect missing at every single position. There's no evidence to suggest tackles of that standing bust at a higher rate. 

Sewell is incredible. His footwork and athleticism are leagues above anything I've seen. He often takes two or three guys out on the one play. He's as sure a player as I've ever seen entering the NFL. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Although there was another few times we passed on Tackles touted as all time great prospects. Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones to name a few. Good times.

precisely.... why would anyone even put them in the same breath. Sewell has the chance to be those 3, and Mandrich has cans of red crap in a can that you add to hamburger meat lmao.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas will decide between just two options at #2: take a QB or trade down. He's not taking OTs in back-to-back years. 

He can get a WR with experience (Juju, Robinson, Godwin) in free agency. He can get a Guard (Thuney, Scherff) in free agency. He can get a Center (Lindsey) in free agency. He can get an edge rusher (maybe) in free agency. And he can get all these things at pick #23. 

What you can't get in free agency is a freak of nature tackle. When do great tackles hit free agency unless they are at the end of their career? Why is having 2 great tackles detrimental? Even if you couldn't keep them together for more than 5 years, you can get a #1 pick for them (see Larry Tunsil). It's an investment that doesn't lose its value & we get to protect whoever our QB is & keep the best 1 after 5 years. 

Now if we didn't have pick #23 & #34? Yea, picking another tackle might be overkill based on our assets. But we do, so I say draft the best player at whatever position is there at #2 & don't look back! We have the chance to build the best Oline in the division so our QB has time & our RBs have holes to run through. 

We also will have close to 100 million in free agency. Russell Wilsons great, but we saw vs the Rams he's not so great running for his life or getting buried in the turf.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He can get a WR with experience (Juju, Robinson, Godwin) in free agency. He can get a Guard (Thuney, Scherff) in free agency. He can get a Center (Lindsey) in free agency. He can get an edge rusher (maybe) in free agency. And he can get all these things at pick #23. 

What you can't get in free agency is a freak of nature tackle. When do great tackles hit free agency unless they are at the end of their career? Why is having 2 great tackles detrimental? Even if you couldn't keep them together for more than 5 years, you can get a #1 pick for them (see Larry Tunsil). It's an investment that doesn't lose its value & we get to protect whoever our QB is & keep the best 1 after 5 years. 

Now if we didn't have pick #23 & #34? Yea, picking another tackle might be overkill based on our assets. But we do, so I say draft the best player at whatever position is there at #2 & don't look back! We have the chance to build the best Oline in the division so our QB has time & our RBs have holes to run through. 

We also will have close to 100 million in free agency. Russell Wilsons great, but we saw vs the Rams he's not so great running for his life or getting buried in the turf.

Compelling argument. Would also consider D. Smith. Have seen quite a bit of him and he appears to be a special player. Same logic. Haven't seen as much of Sewell so no firsthand opinion.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Not happening, sorry. 

Taking an OT at #2 the year after you took a really good one at #11 last year is the same sort of team building skills that brought us Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples in three consecutive drafts. This team has holes all over the place, with the OT spot being one of the better positions right now. With five (or more) picks in the top 100 and a ****ton of cap space, the OL will be improved, though, don't worry about that. It just won't be overkill. 

Joe Douglas will be weighing his evaluation of his top QB vs. the best offer he gets for the pick. Sewell will not be part of the equation, except for his own trade value. 

Well, we'll see in April. Sewell is the jewel & I can tell you right now he doesn't want Miami to get him & have to find great edge rushers which are like trying to find needles in a haystack. The only team trading up for Sewell with the NY Jets is Cincy. And that's a deal JD takes if he gets enough value. 

Your point of using too many assets falls on deaf ears with me. We have a ton of money & we have #23 & #34. This is an incredibly talented draft class, just watching these last 4 college teams battle it out. I don't think JD is drafting Justin Fields, if he does move back to #5 I think it's for Wilson, but he opens it up for both Miami & Atlanta to trade out to teams looking for QBs. Most interesting draft in years really. But QBs need protection (Russell Wilson) this weekend could ave used it. Settling for average lineman is a recipe for disaster as these defenders get bigger & faster. No more Brian Winters, no more Brandon Shells. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Not happening, sorry. 

Taking an OT at #2 the year after you took a really good one at #11 last year is the same sort of team building skills that brought us Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples in three consecutive drafts. This team has holes all over the place, with the OT spot being one of the better positions right now. With five (or more) picks in the top 100 and a ****ton of cap space, the OL will be improved, though, don't worry about that. It just won't be overkill. 

Joe Douglas will be weighing his evaluation of his top QB vs. the best offer he gets for the pick. Sewell will not be part of the equation, except for his own trade value. 

Are you comparing Becton & Sewell to those guys relative to their respective talent? Give me a break! 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well, we'll see in April. Sewell is the jewel & I can tell you right now he doesn't want Miami to get him & have to find great edge rushers which are like trying to find needles in a haystack. The only team trading up for Sewell with the NY Jets is Cincy. And that's a deal JD takes if he gets enough value. 

Your point of using too many assets falls on deaf ears with me. We have a ton of money & we have #23 & #34. This is an incredibly talented draft class, just watching these last 4 college teams battle it out. I don't think JD is drafting Justin Fields, if he does move back to #5 I think it's for Wilson, but he opens it up for both Miami & Atlanta to trade out to teams looking for QBs. Most interesting draft in years really. But QBs need protection (Russell Wilson) this weekend could ave used it. Settling for average lineman is a recipe for disaster as these defenders get bigger & faster. No more Brian Winters, no more Brandon Shells. 

If "the best non-QB," in this draft was an Edge, that player would be a genuine consideration. An OT will not, regardless of your hearing. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Well this is still nonsense. There is an example of a can't miss prospect missing at every single position. There's no evidence to suggest tackles of that standing bust at a higher rate. 

Sewell is incredible. His footwork and athleticism are leagues above anything I've seen. He often takes two or three guys out on the one play. He's as sure a player as I've ever seen entering the NFL. 

Yes I know, God forbid anyone bring up the possibility of Sewell being a bust, such a cardinal sin ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Are you comparing Becton & Sewell to those guys relative to their respective talent? Give me a break! 

Sewell hasn't played college football in over a year and has never played a down in the pros. He might be the next great one, or he might bust. The Jets already have a really good, young LT. They're not taking a chance with another one at #2, especially when they no longer have that strong of a need at the position. 

It's QB or trade down. Those are his only real options. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Sewell hasn't played college football in over a year and has never played a down in the pros. He might be the next great one, or he might bust. The Jets already have a really good, young LT. They're not taking a chance with another one at #2, especially when they no longer have that strong of a need at the position. 

It's QB or trade down. Those are his only real options. 

^^^^^^Somebody gets it!

thank you 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Not happening, sorry. 

Taking an OT at #2 the year after you took a really good one at #11 is the same sort of team building skills that brought us Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples in three consecutive drafts. This team has holes all over the place, with the OT spot being one of the better positions right now. With five (or more) picks in the top 100 and a ****ton of cap space, the OL will be improved, though, don't worry about that. It just won't be overkill. 

Exactly (or anyway, I hope so). Sewell is a pick he makes if he took a WR instead of a LT at #11 last year.

What imaginary championship are people thinking of when they believe teams win Lombardis by using the #11 pick followed by the #2 pick on the same position, while it's still got a double-digit quantity of absolute starting holes on the roster (including QB ffs)?

There would be suicidal screams but the team would be closer to a championship by trading down a few slots and finding a top corner, plus then a TE with the extra pick, plus upgrade any FA to the tune of the $4MM/year lower cost of it's 1st round pick. An overlooked benefit of Becton isn't just that the position is filled adequately, but also that it's filled adequately at just $5MM/year when the going rate in FA is 4x that (after forking over a 1st rounder to get one on a contract with 10-16 games remaining). 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mandarich’s technique and footwork were exposed once he got to the NFL and he could no longer simply overpower people 

Sewell’s technique is literally flawless

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Munoz for Lam Jones

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Exactly (or anyway, I hope so). Sewell is a pick he makes if he took a WR instead of a LT at #11 last year.

What imaginary championship are people thinking of when they believe teams win Lombardis by using the #11 pick followed by the #2 pick on the same position, while it's still got a double-digit quantity of absolute starting holes on the roster (including QB ffs)?

There would be suicidal screams but the team would be closer to a championship by trading down a few slots and finding an top corner, plus then a TE with the extra pick, plus upgrade any FA to the tune of the $4MM/year lower cost of it's 1st round pick. An overlooked benefit of Becton isn't just that the position is filled adequately, but also that it's filled adequately at just $5MM/year when the going rate in FA is 4x that (after forking over a 1st rounder to get one on a contract with 10-16 games remaining). 

Arguing for Sewell is a way to manufacture an analysis to fit the desire to soldier on with Sam in a way that is more defensible than an open defense of the worst-graded QB in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Arguing for Sewell is a way to manufacture an analysis to fit the desire to soldier on with Sam in a way that is more defensible than an open defense of the worst-graded QB in the NFL.

Yes because it’s impossible to bring in another QB to compete with Sam without using a top 2 overall draft pick 

• Upvote 2