19 jets can become Unrestricted Free Agents on March 17 ~ ~ ~

kelly

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't doubt that, but the crucifixion of Adam Gase starting after four weeks vs. the free pass being given to Joe Douglas after two years is astonishing.

SAR I

He's had 1 offseason.  He got hired right after Mac gave out all those bad contracts.  As it is, the Jets still have a ton of dead cap space from Mac as well as Mosely's giant contract.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

We were 2-14 with a team that many thought had the worst roster in the NFL going in.

So that sounds like Joe Douglas didn't do anything to improve the team and, worse, set us backwards.  We were 7-9 the year before.  So we're supposed to be excited now, why?  Because our GM who threw away the 2020 season has amassed draft capital and cap space for 2021?  It's not hard to shed salary.  It's not hard to nail a Top 10 draft pick.  It's hard to build a team.  I'm not even close to convinced Douglas is the man for this.  His hot seat is right now.

SAR I

If I Told You The Jets Were Going To Open 5-0 Would You Call Me Crazy?

By SAR I,  July 21, 2020 

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

We were 2-14 with a team that many thought had the worst roster in the NFL going in.

So that sounds like Joe Douglas didn't do anything to improve the team and, worse, set us backwards.  We were 7-9 the year before.  So we're supposed to be excited now, why?  Because our GM who threw away the 2020 season has amassed draft capital and cap space for 2021?  It's not hard to shed salary.  It's not hard to nail a Top 10 draft pick.  It's hard to build a team.  I'm not even close to convinced Douglas is the man for this.  His hot seat is right now.

SAR I

Ok, why this change of heart suddenly? You said many times we are seeing the result of 10 years of bad drafting that was the result of Idzik and Mac. Now it's  JD fault? I happen to agree, I think JD dismantled this team over the course of the season and contributed  to the record but you said this was Gase getting rid of malcontents,  not trading off assets. Now JD brought us backwards while all season you said you can't  fix 10 years of bad drafting in one draft. You were literally  giving him a pass on what you are accusing him of now. 

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, why this change of heart suddenly? You said many times we are seeing the result of 10 years of bad drafting that was the result of Idzik and Mac. Now it's  JD fault? I happen to agree, I think JD dismantled this team over the course of the season and contributed  to the record but you said this was Gase getting rid of malcontents,  not trading off assets. Now JD brought us backwards while all season you said you can't  fix 10 years of bad drafting in one draft. You were literally  giving him a pass on what you are accusing him of now. 

I learned two things last season:

1.  I was wrong to believe in a team that finished 6-2 and was gutted by the GM.

2.  I should take a page from those who rushed to judgement on Gase because it turns out they were right.

Therefore, I am rushing to judgement on Joe Douglas.  Not now.  But soon.  Very short leash.  Last year's FA's and draft were below average.  Maccagnan would have taken Becton too, wasn't like he was some unearthed gem.  I'm all for a patient rebuild so long as we have the right guys leading the rebuild.  Saleh looks the part.  Douglas not sure.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

1.  I was wrong to believe in a team that finished 6-2 and was gutted by the GM.

2.  I should take a page from those who rushed to judgement on Gase because it turns out they were right.

Therefore, I am rushing to judgement on Joe Douglas.  Not now.  But soon.  Very short leash.  Last year's FA's and draft were below average.  Maccagnan would have taken Becton too, wasn't like he was some unearthed gem.  I'm all for a patient rebuild so long as we have the right guys leading the rebuild.  Saleh looks the part.  Douglas not sure.

SAR I

Well we disagree once taking Becton. I think it woukd have been Judy. He seemed like the consensus best available at that point which is the way Mac rolled. Would not have been a bad pick but would also not fix the OL which was badly needed. 

I would have almost all of them back.  None of these guys will get real money.  The problem is not that the bottom of the roster was so bad, it is that the bottom of the roster is the top of the roster.  I think the only real starters were Perriman, Maye and Hewitt.  Big whoop  I think they are most likely not to be back.  Hewitt is presumably already replaced by Mosely.  I don't think any of the other guys rates guaranteed money, but there are some key special teamers, like Farley on that list.  

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'd like to see them keep Elfein. He was a good find and has the pedigree. Sometimes interior linemen take a few extra years to come around and it seems like that dude was putting it together. 

Eiflein fits with my comments above.  They seemed to run well behind him and Becton, but PFF (I know, I know) had him rated abysmally.  I think he was in the 40s and most of that was with the Jets.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Think Gase has a shot at the Montreal Alouettes assistant job?

On 2/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, SAR I said:

I don't doubt that, but the crucifixion of Adam Gase starting after four weeks vs. the free pass being given to Joe Douglas after two years is astonishing.

SAR I

It's only astonishing if you ignore that they both had a resume.  Douglas, unlike Gase has a pedigree that's worth investing some time in.  Gase who's resume wasn't very good but you could hang your hat on a second chance simply didn't work out.

While Gase was instrumental in getting rid of Mac he clearly wasn't part of the solution.   When you don't produce or at least show that you can turn the ship it's not a crucifixion.  It's a decision based on the need for change and who you want and don't want as part of that change.

I was hopeful Gase would grow into the position but he simply continued to do things the same way over and over again.  He earned his pink slip. 

• Upvote 1

A lot of people want to say let 95% of these guys walk. And I agree that a lot of the underperforming starters, especially ones that may not fit the new offensive or defensive systems SHOULD be let walk. But a lot of these guys are special teams players and backups. They are cheap guys that I have no issue bringing back. I've highlighted the guys I would bring back. And it's quite a bit. Beacause, you know, WE NEED TO FIELD A TEAM. 

G Josh Andrews (15/4/0/0)
LB Tarell Basham (16/9/0/00) If cheap, I think you bring him back. He had a really off year but he can be a rotational OLB/Edge-LEO and I think Saleh will utilize his skillset better. 
TE Daniel Brown (16/1/0/0)
DL Trevon Coley (0/0/0/2)
G Pat Elflein (6/6/0/0)- backup G. 
S Matthias Farley (16/2/0/0)
QB Joe Flacco (5/4/8/3)
RB Frank Gore (15/14/0/0)
LB Bryce Hager (10/2/0/0)- I liked what I saw from Hager the few reps he got. I think you bring him back and let him battle it out for a roster spot. He could be a solid special teams contributor. 
LB Neville Hewitt (16/16/0/0)- Def. bring him back for depth.  
S Bennett Jackson (4/0/0/0)
LB Jordan Jenkins (12/12/0/1)
CB Arthur Maulet (11/5/0/0)- He had some solid reps at safety. We know he can also contribute at CB. I'd keep him around for depth. 
S Marcus Maye (16/16/0/0)- #1 priority. 
S Brandon McDougald (7/7/0/0)
LB Patrick Onwuasor (1/0/0/0)- Still curious about him and would like to bring him back to battle for a roster spot. But not sure why so many Jet fans are high on him. We haven't seen ANYTHING from him. I bring him back but he may end up getting cut. 
WR Breshad Perriman (12/12/0/4)
CB Brian Poole (8/6/0/0)- Depends on the price tag but YES, make a sincere effort to bring back Poole. He can play in Saleh's system and is easily the Jets best CB. 
TE Ross Travis (1/0/0/6)

These Jets can become restricted free agents :
RB Josh Adams (8/0/0/0)
LB Harvey Langi (14/6/0/0)
LB Frankie Luvu (13/3/0/0)- I still like Luvu. I bring him back on the cheap knowing full well he may get cut before the season starts. 
WR Vyncint Smith (7/0/0/4)

And one player can become an exclusive-rights free agent :
WR Jeff Smith (11/5/1/0)- I know a lot of people would rather bring back Vyncint Smith. But honestly, I think Jeff Smith is a great fit for LaFleur's system and I liked what I saw from him last year before he got hurt. He can be electric. I bring him back and let V.Smith walk. He won't cost much either.