So for all of you DeShaun Watson Lovers..

13 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

And I don't necessarily think all of those signings would happen this year.  I just think it's crazy that the anti-Watson crowd thinks we need to have a Super Bowl contender by next year if we trade for Watson, but are seemingly willing to wait 5 years to build one other wise.

Just to clarify I'm not trying to be an Anti Watson guy I think he's a damn good QB and would love to have him I just don't like what people are floating out there in the way of compensation. That being said, maybe JD plays hardball and gets us a great deal. Its all going to hinge on that number 2 Over all pick. So if we can get Watson for 2 1's and Sam Darnold I make the deal yesterday. If Houston plays the Idiot role and wants the ridiculous compensation we've been hearing, Watson will probably sit out the year and then we simply sign him next year if our current plan does not work out. There is the real possibility Watson might sit out because I think Houston is possibly asking way too much or there would have been a deal worked out already in principle,.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

with the one Key FA who basically won them the SB. If Brady is not there they don't even make the playoffs and the other side of the coin if Tampa was not playing at an elite level on defense the second half of the season they don't win it either

What are you even talking about?

What won them that game - what prevented a Mahomes-Brady shootout with an unknown outcome - was the relentless pressure on Mahomes. Barrett, JPP, and Suh were all veterans the team brought in; they were not Tampa draft picks. 

Absent those players they don’t even reach the SB in the first place to get past Green Bay, Brady or no Brady.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What won them that game - what prevented a Mahomes-Brady shootout with an unknown outcome - was the relentless pressure on Mahomes. Barrett, JPP, and Suh were all veterans the team brought in; they were not Tampa draft picks. 

Absent those players they don’t even reach the SB in the first place to get past Green Bay, Brady or no Brady.

Tampa Bay won on defense.  

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Tampa did.

• Brady
  • Gronk
  • Jensen
  • JPP
  • Barrett
  • Suh
  • Nunez-Roches
  • Antonio Brown
  • Fournette
  • McLendon

They also added FAs along the way before that; their path wasn’t remotely limited to this list (significant as it is). Some worked out; some didn’t; some were replaced by players they later drafted after that when they were ready.

I hated Maccagnan’s 2015 FA class - even before we saw its results - because the heart of it went to expensive players with just 1-2 years remaining before their careers wound down: most notably Revis, Harris, and Cromartie. His younger additions were 3rd-tier additions, and one of them (Carpenter; his 3rd choice) panned out far better than expected for the first 2 seasons. As years passed, his big splashes were also just terrible investments, whether it was extending Wilkerson, or bringing in T.Johnson, Bell, Mosely, and more. 

Maccagnan, ultimately, was a terrible GM because he selected terrible players and because - when he did pick way up top - he typically went with a rigid, theoretical-BAP system instead of factoring in which players could the team do without and which they couldn’t. 

In the end it was the almost impossibly awful judgment on which players he added - so bad you’d think he was a Belichick plant specifically inserted to sabotage the Jets by failing on purpose - not because of the sequence with which these players were added via FA or the draft. He also tried it the other way around, too, by drafting to create a pipeline with his talentless WR draft picks, too, remember?

Know what else sucks in team-building? Drafting players who get free passes for 2-3 years because there’s no competition except for other/lesser rookies, camp fodder, veteran backups, and low-end FAs. 

There’s no magic formula, other acquiring enough good players — specifically including a QB who, even if he’s not elite, is capable of getting hot for long enough, and/or at least in that next tier of good enough to win.

I'm pretty sure the Chiefs relied heavily on free agents in 2019 as well.  The aversion utilizing the free agent market to improve the roster makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Exactly why I said the elite defense eventually won them the SB. But they could not do one without the other they had to have both Brady and that defense to win, if they didn't have that Defense they don't even make the playoffs even with Brady in the equasion . When it comes to building that team they are in the minority of winning SB's on a team built in most part via FA. So if the Jets get Watson who will eat up half their cap and eat up most of their first round picks the next few years how do the Jets do what Tampa Did ? Since you made the argument seems to be the direction you're going right ??

The discussion here is you are all of a sudden defending building through FA ? Sorry but the odds on that are astronomically against it happening and you know that. Tampa was the exception and luckily peaked at just the right time.

Teams that are solid and competing in the playoffs every year can gain from a few FA signings to fill  holes but they didn't build through FA not by a longshot. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

I'm pretty sure the Chiefs relied heavily on free agents in 2019 as well.  The aversion utilizing the free agent market to improve the roster makes no sense.

No one is saying not to use the FA market to improve a team but you have to be realistic about it and you have to spend the money while keeping in mind you will have your own stars to pay one day as well. 

Earlier I mentioned a bunch of QB's who won 1 SB all of which had the talent to win Multiple SB's key to them NOT winning Multiple SB's is the fact they didn't have a strong team behind them most of those years. So having that elite QB was enough to get them in the playoffs only to be exposed by superior teams and that's what I'm afraid will happen with the Jets if they Sell the farm for Watson

That goes both ways in 09 and 10 the Jets had a very strong team that was able to knock off elite QB after elite QB including Tom Brady and Peyton Manning back to back our weakness then was Mark Sanchez and some suspect coaching . But those teams were right at the cap so if you added that elite QB some of those players would not have been there in the first place because those teams were basically built Via FA and had flaws that were exposed both years in the AFCCG. What would have won us 2 SB's there was if Mark Sanchez turned out to be the franchise QB we were all hoping for but he was not that guy.

53 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Just to clarify I'm not trying to be an Anti Watson guy I think he's a damn good QB and would love to have him I just don't like what people are floating out there in the way of compensation. That being said, maybe JD plays hardball and gets us a great deal. Its all going to hinge on that number 2 Over all pick. So if we can get Watson for 2 1's and Sam Darnold I make the deal yesterday. If Houston plays the Idiot role and wants the ridiculous compensation we've been hearing, Watson will probably sit out the year and then we simply sign him next year if our current plan does not work out. There is the real possibility Watson might sit out because I think Houston is possibly asking way too much or there would have been a deal worked out already in principle,.

You have nothing to worry about, because as badly as I want Watson, I'm confident that Douglas isn't trading away 4 first round draft picks to make it happen. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

You have nothing to worry about, because as badly as I want Watson, I'm confident that Douglas isn't trading away 4 first round draft picks to make it happen. 

Agreed ... I would be Okay with 2 but 4 is just ridiculous and TBH if thats the price Houston can watch his ass sit out the year.  Then it would only cost us money if he decided to come here. That may be the best outcome and it gives us a year to evaluate whatever QB we pick in the upcoming draft

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

No one is saying not to use the FA market to improve a team but you have to be realistic about it and you have to spend the money while keeping in mind you will have your own stars to pay one day as well. 

Earlier I mentioned a bunch of QB's who won 1 SB all of which had the talent to win Multiple SB's key to them NOT winning Multiple SB's is the fact they didn't have a strong team behind them most of those years. So having that elite QB was enough to get them in the playoffs only to be exposed by superior teams and that's what I'm afraid will happen with the Jets if they Sell the farm for Watson

That goes both ways in 09 and 10 the Jets had a very strong team that was able to knock off elite QB after elite QB including Tom Brady and Peyton Manning back to back our weakness then was Mark Sanchez and some suspect coaching . But those teams were right at the cap so if you added that elite QB some of those players would not have been there in the first place because those teams were basically built Via FA and had flaws that were exposed both years in the AFCCG. What would have won us 2 SB's there was if Mark Sanchez turned out to be the franchise QB we were all hoping for but he was not that guy.

The signings I suggested could all be off the books by the time Q and Becton need new contracts.  And the salary cap is going to spike in the next couple years.  AND the trade for Watson I suggested STILL gives the Jets 5 picks in the 1st 100 this year, on top of the picks they made last year and Q from the year before, AND a pick in every round of next year's draft.  The Jets would still be relying heavily on the draft, they would just be choosing Deshaun Watson over Zach Wilson, #34, '22 1st, and '23 1st. 

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Agreed ... I would be Okay with 2 but 4 is just ridiculous and TBH if thats the price Houston can watch his ass sit out the year.  Then it would only cost us money if he decided to come here. That may be the best outcome and it gives us a year to evaluate whatever QB we pick in the upcoming draft

I don't know where you're getting this from.  If Watson sits out, his contract just gets pushed back a year.  He could claim a back injury in order to not play and have his contract run, but they would still have him under contract for the next 5 years.  The Texans will be compensated for Watson, and I think they'll get more than 2 1st round picks.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

I actually think some team might pay 4 first rounders + for Watson, but I just don't think Douglas will. 

With all of the hype Wilson is getting, the #2 pick is gold. 

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

The signings I suggested could all be off the books by the time Q and Becton need new contracts.  And the salary cap is going to spike in the next couple years.  AND the trade for Watson I suggested STILL gives the Jets 5 picks in the 1st 100 this year, on top of the picks they made last year and Q from the year before, AND a pick in every round of next year's draft.  The Jets would still be relying heavily on the draft, they would just be choosing Deshaun Watson over Zach Wilson, #34, '22 1st, and '23 1st. 

Not to mention by the time it’s time to pay Q and Becton by then the salary cap will be over $200 million because fans will be allowed back in stadiums at full capacity 

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Exactly why I said the elite defense eventually won them the SB. But they could not do one without the other they had to have both Brady and that defense to win, if they didn't have that Defense they don't even make the playoffs even with Brady in the equasion . When it comes to building that team they are in the minority of winning SB's on a team built in most part via FA. So if the Jets get Watson who will eat up half their cap and eat up most of their first round picks the next few years how do the Jets do what Tampa Did ? Since you made the argument seems to be the direction you're going right ??

The discussion here is you are all of a sudden defending building through FA ? Sorry but the odds on that are astronomically against it happening and you know that. Tampa was the exception and luckily peaked at just the right time.

Teams that are solid and competing in the playoffs every year can gain from a few FA signings to fill  holes but they didn't build through FA not by a longshot. 

You're conflating having to have Brady with having to move on from Winston. They are not the same thing.

Never mind Waston will not and would not and need not eat up half their cap. He'd eat up first round picks for 2 years (possibly not even all of them). Same that KC - or any team - does when they trade 2 years' worth of 1st round picks to move up in round 1 for a QB. 

22 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Wanting Deshaun Watson has nothing to do with attracting Allen Robinson and everything to do with having a top five QB in the NFL at age 25, the most priceless asset you can have. 

It also makes the process of rebuilding the team so much easier. The GM already has the most challenging riddle essentially solved before he adds talent to surround the QB. It's a no brainer, if you can afford and it doesn't cripple the teams ability to continue rebuilding, to go after a proven QB....

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're conflating having to have Brady with having to move on from Winston. They are not the same thing.

Never mind Waston will not and would not and need not eat up half their cap. He'd eat up first round picks for 2 years (possibly not even all of them). Same that KC - or any team - does when they trade 2 years' worth of 1st round picks to move up in round 1 for a QB. 

And after all the first rd picks he ate he would be hungry for some money like Dak got if not he sits out like he does when he's not happy..(Dak hasn't even won a playoff game) Even if we sold the farm for Watson Jet fans would be happy for 4-12 but they would be saying; He has no weapons LOL

55 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Not to mention by the time it’s time to pay Q and Becton by then the salary cap will be over $200 million because fans will be allowed back in stadiums at full capacity 

By the time they would have to franchise/sign Q the cap will be closer to $300m than $200m. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And after all the first rd picks he ate he would be hungry for some money like Dak got if not he sits out like he does when he's not happy..(Dak hasn't even won a playoff game) Even if we sold the farm for Watson Jet fans would be happy for 4-12 but they would be saying; He has no weapons LOL

I think it's a false narrative that the Jets would go 4-12 with Watson. 

People underestimate just how bad Houston's roster was (combined with their schedule of mostly playoff opponents all season long, including a brutal start of KC-Balt-Pit (2 of those 3 being road games). Once they fired O'Brien, they were 4-3 (one of those losses a Jets-Raiders level ending) until Fuller's suspension. 

In comparison, the 2-win Jets:

• had a laughably-impossible ending to the Raiders game
  • had a first half with almost every rookie injured, on a team assembled to rely upon rookies over taking the meh FAs signed in March
  • lost its 2 key defensive starters in August, after team planning had already completed: Adams was traded when Seattle made that offer we couldn't refuse; also Mosley sat out the season, announcing well after the draft & FA
  • at the trade deadline, traded away 2 more of its starters because why not their season was in the crapper anyway and these 2 were going to be UFAs 9 games later anyway
  • had a QB who was cluelessly bad, coached by a HC/OC who was ill-suited for the role, with a DC who'd been badly overrated for years & years

You'd need a comedy of errors on the injury front, plus Saleh & company being grossly incompetent in a way that'd make Gase blush, for the Jets to acquire Watson & still finish just 4-12.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

People underestimate just how bad Houston's roster was (combined with their schedule of mostly playoff opponents all season long, including a brutal start of KC-Balt-Pit (2 of those 3 being road games). Once they fired O'Brien, they were 4-3 (one of those losses a Jets-Raiders level ending) until Fuller's suspension. 

• had a first half with almost every rookie injured, on a team assembled to rely upon rookies over taking the meh FAs signed in March
  • lost its 2 key defensive starters in August, after team planning had already completed: Adams was traded when Seattle made that offer we couldn't refuse; also Mosley sat out the season, announcing well after the draft & FA
  • at the trade deadline, traded away 2 more of its starters because why not their season was in the crapper anyway and these 2 were going to be UFAs 9 games later anyway
  • had a QB who was cluelessly bad, coached by a HC/OC who was ill-suited for the role, with a DC who'd been badly overrated for years & years

You'd need a comedy of errors on the injury front, plus Saleh & company being grossly incompetent in a way that'd make Gase blush, for the Jets to acquire Watson & still finish just 4-12.

Are you kidding me  ??? Seriously .. wtf .. The Jets roster is the worst in the NFL .. there is a 95% change Deshaun Watson would suck with the Jets.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Are you kidding me  ??? Seriously .. wtf .. The Jets roster is the worst in the NFL .. there is a 95% change Deshaun Watson would suck with the Jets.

You haven't looked at the two rosters beyond fantasy football positions, then.

Houston's roster was worse on balance. It's been gone through. They may have had the worst secondary in the history of secondaries, their LB corps wasn't noticeably better, and they had one defensive lineman who wasn't a train wreck. A lot of the Jets' woes were due to injuries & covid & saving cap space for a future year. They'd still have been bad, largely due to the terrible QB, but they otherwise should not and would not have won just 2 games. 

QBs aside, and even the upcoming 1st round picks aside, the Jets roster will be a good amount better in 2021 than the Texans' roster in 2020. Houston may very well have gotten that #1 overall pick (for Miami) if Darnold was their QB instead of Watson.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let me ask you this sperm what would your realistic scenario be for the Jets moving forward ?

I have 2

Trade for Watson with this years 2 and next years Jets 1 (keep Seattles if they trade Wilson) Trade Sam for a 2 Then we will have a first each year 3  2's this year and a normal allotment of picks moving forward. If the cap money is availbe I would still try to Sign Henrickson,

If Watson is too steep (4 firsts ) trade out of the 2OA abd Pick Mac Jones load up on skill players through the draft and Sign Henrickson via Free agency. After that if we can't get good compensation for Darnold (second round pick IMHO) We let Mac Sam And James compete for starting QB duties moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, chad2coles said:

I don't know where you're getting this from.  If Watson sits out, his contract just gets pushed back a year.  He could claim a back injury in order to not play and have his contract run, but they would still have him under contract for the next 5 years.  The Texans will be compensated for Watson, and I think they'll get more than 2 1st round picks.

I was thinking of Bell sitting out the year. Is there was a way for Watson to get out of that contract if he took a year off.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Let me ask you this sperm what would your realistic scenario be for the Jets moving forward ?

I have 2

Trade for Watson with this years 2 and next years Jets 1 (keep Seattles if they trade Wilson) Trade Sam for a 2 Then we will have a first each year 3  2's this year and a normal allotment of picks moving forward. If the cap money is availbe I would still try to Sign Henrickson,

If Watson is too steep (4 firsts ) trade out of the 2OA abd Pick Mac Jones load up on skill players through the draft and Sign Henrickson via Free agency. After that if we can't get good compensation for Darnold (second round pick IMHO) We let Mac Sam And James compete for starting QB duties moving forward. 

I re-read the part highlighted above and still can't follow. There are two Wilson QBs in the discussion. Do you mean if Seattle trades Russell Wilson then their 2022 pick (which the Jets own) will be a higher pick than the Jets' natural 1st rounder? i.e. trade #2 overall this year and whichever 2022 1st rounder is higher next year?

The problem with that already is Houston won't take it. It's too low and there's no point in endeavoring further. You can scream all you want about how many picks the #2 pick is really worth; they couldn't give a sh**. You'd have to do that trading down first and then find 2-3 first round picks to trade to Houston with a #1 from next year. Of course by then the QB prospect they most covet will probably be off the board, so you're back to no deal. 

As to your second scenario, I'm not drafting a lesser QB over a better QB because he comes along with an extra 1st round pick. I'm taking the better QB. You take Mac Jones over Wilson (or Fields) if you believe he is absolutely a better QB than either one. Fine if that's the reason; not fine if it isn't the reason.

This is to be the team's QB for 10-15 years; don't pick a crappier one because short term we get another cheap-contract 1st round pick for 4 years (who himself may or may not pan out). 

Just now, Smashmouth said:

I was thinking of Bell sitting out the year. Is there was a way for Watson to get out of that contract if he took a year off.

No

Most likely a deal gets done.  The lions buttraping the Rams really made this a tricky negotiation for JD

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I re-read the part highlighted above and still can't follow. There are two Wilson QBs in the discussion. Do you mean if Seattle trades Russell Wilson then their 2022 pick (which the Jets own) will be a higher pick than the Jets' natural 1st rounder? i.e. trade #2 overall this year and whichever 2022 1st rounder is higher next year?

The problem with that already is Houston won't take it. It's too low and there's no point in endeavoring further. You can scream all you want about how many picks the #2 pick is really worth; they couldn't give a sh**. You'd have to do that trading down first and then find 2-3 first round picks to trade to Houston with a #1 from next year. Of course by then the QB prospect they most covet will probably be off the board, so you're back to no deal. 

As to your second scenario, I'm not drafting a lesser QB over a better QB because he comes along with an extra 1st round pick. I'm taking the better QB. You take Mac Jones over Wilson (or Fields) if you believe he is absolutely a better QB than either one. Fine if that's the reason; not fine if it isn't the reason.

This is to be the team's QB for 10-15 years; don't pick a crappier one because short term we get another cheap-contract 1st round pick for 4 years (who himself may or may not pan out). 

I'm saying that's my stance Sperm I'm not trying to debate it I just want to know what your scenario is.

So yes Trade this years 2 OA and Next Years first we received from Seattle along with Darnold. If Houston says no then screw them, then they don't get the choice of the next QB after Lawrence. We are in a position of power right now not Houston who will probably botch this up.

And yes I do think Mac Jones is better and will be better than Wilson or Fields it would be stupid to trade from the better QB in a draft to compile more picks 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No

Most likely a deal gets done.  The lions buttraping the Rams really made this a tricky negotiation for JD

The Rams picks were late firsts no ? Not nearly the same as the number 2 pick we currently own which if used right could be Watsons replacement.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

The Rams picks were late firsts no ? Not nearly the same as the number 2 pick we currently own which if used right could be Watsons replacement.

The Rams gave up a 3rd round pick this year as well as 1st round picks in '22 and '23, but the Lions also had to take on Goff's contract that has negative value.

1 minute ago, chad2coles said:

The Rams gave up a 3rd round pick this year as well as 1st round picks in '22 and '23, but the Lions also had to take on Goff's contract that has negative value.

Goff is better going forward than Stafford and has only 2 years left on his deal

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Goff is better going forward than Stafford and has only 2 years left on his deal

Seems like the Rams, who drafted him and gave him that contract strongly disagree.  They just shipped out 2 1sts, a 3rd, and took a $22.2M cap hit this year to trade him for Stafford.

41 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm saying that's my stance Sperm I'm not trying to debate it I just want to know what your scenario is.

So yes Trade this years 2 OA and Next Years first we received from Seattle along with Darnold. If Houston says no then screw them, then they don't get the choice of the next QB after Lawrence. We are in a position of power right now not Houston who will probably botch this up.

And yes I do think Mac Jones is better and will be better than Wilson or Fields it would be stupid to trade from the better QB in a draft to compile more picks 

If they'll take #2 overall + who cares which one next year + Darnold?

There's a serious "or would you rather..." involving drafting a QB with a 50% bust potential instead?

There is no "or" scenario. If they take that way-below-market offer somehow, you sign the paper instantaneously, and then send @Jetsfan80 to fellate them every month for the next 5 years as a throw-in. 

Houston has the asset others covet and aren't just giving him away. Watson is also locked in there for 5 years so he can't just hold out forever. The Jets are in an excellent position to make a deal - as good or better than any other suitor - but are not in the driver's seat.

Houston is not desperate. It's better pr for them to say, "Look we don't want to trade him; we love him & think he's great," than to take a crap deal like that and have the fans revolt as the rest of the country points & laughs. Especially since they're going to suck in 2021 no matter who the QB is anyway.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If they'll take #2 overall + who cares which one next year + Darnold?

There's a serious "or would you rather..." involving drafting a QB with a 50% bust potential instead?

There is no "or" scenario. If they take that way-below-market offer somehow, you sign the paper instantaneously, and then send @Jetsfan80 to fellate them every month for the next 5 years as a throw-in. 

Houston has the asset others covet and aren't just giving him away. Watson is also locked in there for 5 years so he can't just hold out forever. The Jets are in an excellent position to make a deal - as good or better than any other suitor - but are not in the driver's seat.

Houston is not desperate. It's better pr for them to say, "Look we don't want to trade him; we love him & think he's great," than to take a crap deal like that and have the fans revolt as the rest of the country points & laughs. Especially since they're going to suck in 2021 no matter who the QB is anyway.

So as a Jet GM what would YOU offer for Watson ? 

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If we trade down and get tons of picks and use one of them on mac Jones I wouldn’t be too angry. He needs a redshirt year though to build strength and learn the NFL.