Joe Douglas Thoughts: MERGED

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

My issue isn't that Douglas isn't spending, my issue is that if he isn't spending to fill in important positions, then he shouldn't be drafting safeties in the third round and whiffing on offensive lineman in the later part of the draft. He needs great drafts if he's going to have be passive in free agency.

or drafting a qb that will never see the field  -I will wait for somebody to say that Brady was a round 6 pick so somehow that is the justification for the wasted pick-same defense I heard on the hackeberg pick

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

or drafting a qb that will never see the field  -I will wait for somebody to say that Brady was a round 6 pick so somehow that is the justification for the wasted pick-same defense I heard on the hackeberg pick

Exactly! And yeah that Brady sh*t is tired.

38 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

And Jet fans love this. It’s “smart financials” and yet leads to losing seasons which they justify as “the rebuild” take time.
Some point you gotta win football games or your ”plan” ain’t that smart or unique 

This.

And this is the big thing, this is the void in Douglas logic-  if the GM is a) committed to building through the draft and b) isn't going to give big money to free agents then c) why the hell didn't he sign Jamal, Robbie, and Leonard?

What did he need Jamal's money for exactly?  What in 2020 or 2021 was that money needed for?  NOTHING.  BECAUSE HE DOESN'T SIGN FREE AGENTS!

If you aren't paying free agents and you are only building through the draft then you must use the money ON YOUR EXISTING PLAYMAKERS.  Joe Douglas has built an expansion team.  And unless he bucks NFL trend and hits on 75% of his draft picks, we are going to be an expansion team until he's gone.

SAR I

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Then that’s really not a good draft. It’s an ok draft. When Mac drafted Q you all said he “fell in his lap” you could make the same argument about Becton. I still say Wirfs was the better pick but that’s another day.

2 starters a draft with his odd approach to FA will keep this team eternally at 6-10 to 8-8

And here I always thought it took 3 years to properly evaluate a draft class.  Guess I'm just too old school :( 

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

And this is the big thing, this is the void in Douglas logic-  if the GM is a) committed to building through the draft and b) isn't going to give big money to free agents then c) why the hell didn't he sign Jamal, Robbie, and Leonard?

What did he need Jamal's money for exactly?  What in 2020 or 2021 was that money needed for?  NOTHING.  BECAUSE HE DOESN'T SIGN FREE AGENTS!

If you aren't paying free agents and you are only building through the draft then you must use the money ON YOUR EXISTING PLAYMAKERS.  Joe Douglas has built an expansion team.  And unless he bucks NFL trend and hits on 75% of his draft picks, we are going to be an expansion team until he's gone.

SAR I

Excellent point. If you create cap space and refuse to spend it for talent. Wtf are you doing with your money 

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Excellent point. If you create cap space and refuse to spend it for talent. Wtf are you doing with your money 

....and if you don't reward your homegrown talent, what is the message you're sending to the rest of the league?

You wind up with a) no free agents of merit and b) homegrown talent that gets frustrated and wants out.  

Listen, the Ravens and the Eagles have historically been decent franchises so they can get away with this type of long-haul conservative thinking and that's how Douglas was educated.  But the Jets need to get to the Mangini baseline before we can play the Baltimore game.  When we're fat and happy with pro bowl talent and players that would be starters on any other NFL team, that's when you can go full-conservative, build solely through the draft, and let your culture coach-up the 21 year old's straight from the dorm.  But now?  We need to bring in free agents all over the roster, proven guys who can win.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

This.

SAR I

hard to argue against this at the moment.

• Upvote 1