Joe Douglas Thoughts: MERGED

SAR I

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

The guy he brought in was demonstrably worse than Harrison. His "upgrades" last year produced similarly horrific, if not worse results. His strong suit was supposed to be o-line and to date, he couldn't hold the jockstrap of Mike Tannenbaum, a supposed glorified accountant. Just not seeing the cause for optimism here. 

His claim to fame to date is cutting players, and signing midland to poor free agents. His 1st draft ,except for Becton, was a bust, trading Leonard was a strokeof genius , 11.5 sacks later, not so much.  Free agency in 2021, so far very underwhelming, you all,

can keep believing, i don’t.

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

do you think that McGovern Becton and Fant are better than Harrison Mack and  Edoga 

Becton was a huge improvement. For 8 games or so. The guy he passed on to draft him played all 16 and then went to the SB. The rest of his scrubs were at best a push. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, freestater said:

Becton was a huge improvement. For 8 games or so. The guy he passed on to draft him played all 16 and then went to the SB. The rest of his scrubs were at best a push. 

Begs the question you actually think that Harrison is better than McGovern and Edoga is better than Fant  I respectfully disagree and the guy Wirfs I believe had Brady as a QB that can get ball out quickly and that alone will make a o line that much better  as you don’t have to hold blocks as long 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

People keep saying this but I'm not really sure what it means. 

Everyone wants to build through the draft, but if you don't have good players to pay on your team, have massive holes on your roster and lead the league in cap space...are you supposed to simply sit on it and give it to Woody?

I think it means 

1) keep your draft picks (avoid trading premium picks)

2) Don't over commit years to a contract (he's been giving out 3 year deals so far with exits earlier)

3) Draft players that you think are good and try not to draft players you think are bad

But I get your point. The whole thing is moot if you can't hit on draft picks. Plus Jets have such a terrible draft history that they don't have anyone to give more money to except Marcus Maye, so they HAVE to go out and sign other players so I agree. Personally I want him to make a splash and do something but I actually think there will be good opportunity to do that over the next few weeks. My biggest disappointment was him not addressing OL early

• JD is right not to overpay for FA.  If he was building the team and won on Conklin and Thuney, which was possible but in the latter case expensive, this is a much, much better team.
  • JD is right to try and build through the draft.  If he drafted the OL last year instead of Davis, Zuniga, Perine and Morgan, this is a much, much better team.  So what JD wants to accomplish is doable.
  • So JD, after basically one year, is kind of starting new.  He has tried to fix conditioning+, which I think will be huge.
  • But given his cap space, if he wants to turn the Jets around I would sign more FA WR and CB so he does not have to draft them, and spend the picks on OL.  That can turn this team around fast.
  • There is no question that players are avoiding playing for a bad team, without a QB, in the cold, in a high tax state.
  • On QB, I am inclined to go with Darnold and Wilson, and hopefully there is a better trade market for Darnold when he has been rehabbed.   Wilson cannot play behind that line yet. 

2 hours ago, riggy001 said:

His claim to fame to date is cutting players, and signing midland to poor free agents. His 1st draft ,except for Becton, was a bust, trading Leonard was a strokeof genius , 11.5 sacks later, not so much.  Free agency in 2021, so far very underwhelming, you all,

can keep believing, i don’t.

You cant be down on joe for that. He was a jag with us. Who knew hed get 11 sacks

• Haha 1

The entire reason to free up cap was to make big improvement in the roster - the pats will win the division now and are set up for a nice three to five year run -their roster was terrible last year but they greatly improved all over which Joe could have done ( besides qb but they will get a qb u can bank on it )it which sickens me

the jets are set up to be terrible for another 2-3 years -and be the doormat of the division - keep drinking the joe d cool aid 

Joe took a 7 win team to a two win team and the second worst in the league- joe is in year three of his contract and the jets will be lucky to win 4-5 games which is not acceptable - parcelling took a one win team to the afc championship 

I will give joe credit for bringing in what I believe is a good coach but as of now Joe tied his hands behind his back as even the best coaches need good players to win

If Joe makes some big moves in the next few days ( I don’t think he will) I will walk back my criticism 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

30 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You cant be down on joe for that. He was a jag with us. Who knew hed get 11 sacks

Wait. So a brand new GM supposedly gifted in spotting talent presiding over a team with an 11 sack pass rusher who not only failed to recognize it but traded him away to his crosstown rival is getting the HighPitch free pass.  

Gifting Leonard Williams to the Giants is worse than Adam Gase opening 0-4 with no quarterback.  Let me know when you’re flying the planes and putting up the billboards, mmm K?

SAR I

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let’s see, so, we had 17 players hit free agency today and we resigned 1 player, so that’s like 17-1 and that equals 16. 

Can someone check my math?  I don’t have to tell you I’m a little tired up here and the Earth is getting pretty big in the window.

SAR I

We are changing to a soccer team, we only need 11 players for a team.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He signed the top edge on the market and a top 3 WR. What else do people want him to do? Have you seen the moves Jacksonville has made? Or maybe we’d be happy with New England’s free agency? Hell no! 

Douglas is building this team the right way. Our wide receiver unit is fine right now - Davis Crowder Mims and either a rookie or another free agent signing. 

Im confident he will address the offensive line heavily in the draft so I’m not worried about that. 

The only thing I think he really needs to do still in free agency is the CB position. If he could sign Adoree Jackson that would be a huge get. 

Our defense has the ability to be a top unit next year. 

everyone needs to relax cause I don’t think there’s any moves that he’s missed out on that are back breaking 

No he signed a rotational player that has potential. The Bengals signed the top Edge. Corey Davis was Ranked 10th on the FA list. He’s a 2# receiver at best, that benefits from the No 1 running game in the league, and stacked boxes.

The Jets fan base needs to understand we didn’t move the needle. Not of these players are anything other than what other teams already have. Joe Douglas is taking us from terrible to below average, that’s it. Saleh’s got a big job turning chicken sh*t into chicken salad. Let me say with little help from sleepy Joe.

BD560419-5320-4B31-987E-E9ED747CB5D7.png

For all that cap room, to come away with two starters at this point is pretty atrocious.

The offense remains a disaster for the young QB to come in and play in. Absolutely unacceptable.

The sheep who defend him by bringing up Mac’s awful spending don’t get it. Mac’s problem was not that the fact that he used his resources it’s what he used them on, in draft in free agency. F*cking hell just because he spent money badly doesn’t mean the correct course is just to not spend money.

A talent starved team remains talent starved. Good look to Zach Wilson because he will need it.

Awful franchise.

• Upvote 3

I’ve dramatically changed my offseason stance. First I’m no longer in the get Watson camp. Those sexual allegations scare the hell out of me. That’s the last thing the Jets need when they’re trying to rebuild. Plus who the heck knows if he’s facing a possible suspension. All I ask is if he is traded please keep him out of our division. Second and more important is unless things change and the Jets address the offensive line in FA and the draft,  I’m starting to lean on (I can’t believe I’m saying this) keeping Sam for another year. I just can’t bear the thought of us ruining another QB. Trade back the #2 pick for a haul and try to infuse as much talent onto this deprived roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I’ve dramatically changed my offseason stance. First I’m no longer in the get Watson camp. Those sexual allegations scare the hell out of me. That’s the last thing the Jets need when they’re trying to rebuild. Plus who the heck knows if he’s facing a possible suspension. All I ask is if he is traded please keep him out of our division. Second and more important is unless things change and the Jets address the offensive line in FA and the draft,  I’m starting to lean on (I can’t believe I’m saying this) keeping Sam for another year. I just can’t bear the thought of us ruining another QB. Trade back the #2 pick for a haul and try to infuse as much talent onto this deprived roster. 

If we send Sam out as the uncontested starter everyone in the organisation needs to go. Everyone. Burn down the facility, the stadium, the f*cking concession stands. Throw them all into the sea because that would be unf*ckingforgivable.

There has to be some accountability. There's a reason no one wants Sam. He's genuinely as bad as it gets. 10 years of this garbage. If they don't make a serious effort to overhaul this then every one of them deserves the absolute worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If we send Sam out as the uncontested starter everyone in the organisation needs to go. Everyone. Burn down the facility, the stadium, the f*cking concession stands. Throw them all into the sea because that would be unf*ckingforgivable.

There has to be some accountability. There's a reason no one wants Sam. He's genuinely as bad as it gets. 10 years of this garbage. If they don't make a serious effort to overhaul this then every one of them deserves the absolute worst.

If this continues we will be hiring yet another GM in 2022.

• Upvote 1

this was the year to spend on the FAs.  with this much cap space and a lower cap - it can only go up.  bad decision not being aggressive on the top FAs.  instead we'll continue the trend of signing first round busts (C.Davis, J.Davis) and the media hyped defensive end.

Im amazed by the amount of Jet fans happy about “not overpaying” for players like it’s their own personal funds...

and glossing over a roster that will still not be competitive let alone win a super bowl. 

Its as if Jet fans think every pick from 1st to 6th round will be a starter which simply will and does not happen

• Upvote 1

Renner: The New York Jets' reworked offseason strategy has them headed in the right direction

By Michael Renner
Mar 18, 2021
New York Jets

Two offseasons into the Joe Douglas era in New York, it’s clear the new general manager isn’t building the same old Jets.

Whether it was the $70 million disasters to Darrelle Revis and Trumaine Johnson or the loaded five-year, $85 million deal to linebacker C.J. Mosley and four-year, $52.5 million deal to running back Le’Veon Bell only two offseasons ago, the Jets have inked multiple contracts in the running for the worst in recent memory.

Douglas, on the other hand, has yet to give out a single free agent contract longer than three years. He spent his first year focusing on rebuilding the offensive line, and now he's addressing drastic problem areas at wide receiver and edge rusher. He is treating free agency as a way to fill in the gaps left by the draft in roster building, not as a means to building the roster entirely.

Edge rushing help has been an unfulfilled need for what feels like a decade in New York before Carl Lawson agreed to a 3-year, $45 million deal with the Jets this offseason.

Whoever is playing quarterback will also have former top-five pick Corey Davis at their disposal, the type of reliable target on the outside that certainly wasn’t present in previous years. It only took a three-year, $37.5 million to secure his services.

That’s the biggest positive takeaway of all this: The Jets hardly broke the bank. While free agency is often synonymous with bidding wars driving up prices, both Davis and Lawson will be relative steals value-wise if they simply continue to be the players we saw in 2020.

The most exciting addition for Jets fans has to be the 25-year-old Lawson. Last season, he earned an 84.9 pass-rushing grade on 437 pass-rushing snaps. No New York edge rusher has earned higher than a 76.9 pass-rushing grade (Aaron Maybin, 2011) since PFF started grading in 2006. That is an incredible stretch of futility that Lawson can put to an end.

And the thing is, Lawson found success on a hapless Bengals team that won only four games in 2020. It’s far easier to rush the passer and generate sacks and pressures when you have the lead and opponents are in obvious passing situations.

Lawson was no one-year fluke, either. Since he entered the league in 2017, his 18.6% pass-rushing win rate ranks sixth-best of any edge rusher in the NFL. That’s just ahead of Demarcus Lawrence and Khalil Mack — two guys earning well north of $20 million per year. That’s quite the company to keep for a player whose best football could still be ahead of him.

There’s a similar reason to be excited with Corey Davis’ future prospects. He’s coming off a career year where his 2.58 yards per route ranked fifth among all wide receivers. While he quite obviously played second fiddle to A.J. Brown the past couple of seasons, it’s important to view his volume numbers in the context of the Titans being one of the NFL's most run-heavy teams during his tenure.

Even if you assume some of that is a product of Brown drawing coverage and Davis getting easy, schemed-up throws, his numbers don’t decline all that much against true man coverage. When going one-on-one, Davis still averaged 2.44 yards per route. That’s in a similar range to D.J. Moore (2.49) and Terry McLaurin (2.27). Davis may never be a true separator and will always be reliant on contested catches to a degree, hauling in 11 of his 17 such targets last season. That’s a semi-redundant skill set to 2020 second-rounder Denzel Mims, so the Jets shouldn’t be finished adding receiving talent at all.

The Jets didn’t “win” the offseason, and they aren’t winning the AFC East next year, but they finally have realistic aspirations of a brighter future. This is a Jets team that’s being built from the ground up with a heavy focus on the draft. The more that continues, the better off the franchise will be.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yes i can, he is paid to project a players development. Leo was a stud in college and number 6 pick. He was getting many pressures, and hits, plus played the run very well, he was fleeced by Gettleman, who is a moron.

Yes i can, he is paid to project a players development. Leo was a stud in college and number 6 pick. He was getting many pressures, and hits, plus played the run very well, he was fleeced by Gettleman, who is a moron.
Depends on what leo signs for on his next contract. Our roster is too shoddy to support that megadeal.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

Here’s the bottom line. By the sound of it at this moment, JD will pass of a franchise altering move in Watson to bet on his ability to nail the draft. Which means 3 things must happen or he’s done:

1. Zach Wilson must be an absolute stud

2. He’s gonna nail this year’s draft class

3. A couple more guys from last year’s draft class (I’m looking at you mims, Davis, Clarke, Zuniga) have to be legitimate contributors.

If these 3 things don’t pan out, I don’t know how you can look at JD as anything other than a total failure that cost this franchise YEARS of success. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

6BCF247C-E561-4BC3-B0C9-5876124C6C5E.thumb.jpeg.a2f3682336825502e9f609ef7f906cb5.jpeg

AA234030-8CCD-4CCE-957A-6F54686A2D5B.thumb.jpeg.446bab2a525a66c37ae1a1dcd9e91d49.jpeg

5E252BDF-3529-409D-8CD9-FAF7552FDE80.thumb.jpeg.23e33d5928065d0e50a8bc300b1bb816.jpeg

FE3CE067-F8ED-4603-9293-EEC3407DF774.thumb.jpeg.85737984fe3c1af07bbc7919ad12e460.jpeg

1DD346B8-09B1-45C1-B696-488D4B87C938.thumb.jpeg.589dacd00acdc8a30db94fc1bb874d29.jpeg

This doesn’t mean anything. I hated the Trumaine Johnson signing and the Mosley signing btw. The bigger point is that bad signings don’t mean that you have to avoid signing in general. It means that the GM has to be smarter and better at signing players. There isn’t a valid excuse not to at least try and sign Linsley nor is there a reason why Maye is without a contract still. What’s the point of sitting on $50m when Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry were on the market? It’s not like this team is gonna be near cap hell for the next 2 years.

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

This guy is awful in FA let’s admit it

and drafted a shaky 2020 class but we put total blind faith in him...

this is Gona work out well

He hit on Becton and Mims.  One future all pro LT and a good WR is a helluva lot more than the drafts Idzik and Macagnan had

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Im amazed by the amount of Jet fans happy about “not overpaying” for players like it’s their own personal funds...

and glossing over a roster that will still not be competitive let alone win a super bowl. 

Its as if Jet fans think every pick from 1st to 6th round will be a starter which simply will and does not happen

Because if you overpay for not great players (Sanchez, Wilk, Trumaine Johnson) it eventually hurts your ability to go after free agent players who are genuinely good 

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He hit on Becton and Mims.  One future all pro LT and a good WR is a helluva lot more than the drafts Idzik and Macagnan had

So can we stipulate whiffed on Davis, Zuniga and Morgan. I personally would add Perine but can give him one more year

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The anti-JD meltdown is because he didn’t sign Thuney, Linsley and another Guard.  Which is a possible indicator he’s drafting Penei Sewell at 2

God forbid the Jets actually make the right move

He does that,....he loses the fan base

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because if you overpay for not great players (Sanchez, Wilk, Trumaine Johnson) it eventually hurts your ability to go after free agent players who are genuinely good 

So who is worth paying?? Im often met with silence in this question