NY Post, "Robert Saleh Coaching Staff Bringing Kyle Shanahan Playbook to Jets"

SeattleJet

Design an offense around the players and QB not the other way around; game plan defense against the opposing team - this is just crazy talk. Instead of the calling it SF east, we should call it the anti-Bowles, anti-Gase game plan.

Gase didn’t have a game plan he basically was just trying things during the game to see what worked.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, tfine said:

Good read. My only issue is that this defense sounds a lot like the Defense we had under Herm Edwards which I’m not a fan of. Offense sounds like it’s going to be legit.

In secondary scheme, it is to a degree. I think the big difference is the emphasis this defense puts on pressure up front, in contrast to Herm's.

In secondary scheme, it is to a degree. I think the big difference is the emphasis this defense puts on pressure up front, in contrast to Herm's.

Herms did the same thing. He tried to install the Tampa 2 here which you have to get pressure with the front four with zero blitzing. Problem is our corners were bad and we had no nose tackle when Ferguson left. This scheme you need certain types of players as opposed to Rexs scheme where it was more multiple.

7 minutes ago, tfine said:

Herms did the same thing. He tried to install the Tampa 2 here which you have to get pressure with the front four with zero blitzing. Problem is our corners were bad and we had no nose tackle when Ferguson left. This scheme you need certain types of players as opposed to Rexs scheme where it was more multiple.

We have a good offensive line finally tho

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, tfine said:

Good read. My only issue is that this defense sounds a lot like the Defense we had under Herm Edwards which I’m not a fan of. Offense sounds like it’s going to be legit.

The best defense in the league use the bend, but don't break philosophy now. They want to stop big play and force the offense to have 10+ play drive to score points. In those ten plays, they expect the offense will make a mistake (drop, wrong route, slip and fall, etc) that puts them in a bad position and then they can go after them. 

Given the changes to the rules, there's not many defenses that come along that smother the opponent from even moving the ball. 

• Upvote 2

The best defense in the league use the bend, but don't break philosophy now. They want to stop big play and force the offense to have 10+ play drive to score points. In those ten plays, they expect the offense will make a mistake (drop, wrong route, slip and fall, etc) that puts them in a bad position and then they can go after them. 
Given the changes to the rules, there's not many defenses that come along that smother the opponent from even moving the ball. 

Yea I guess I’m just a fan of the Defense bringing the heat from all directions. I still remember the first time Rex faced NE……that was an awesome performance.

The Kyle Shanahan philosophy that Mike LaFleur is implementing is very QB friendly due to a complex scheme for opposing DCs to figure out with a lot of different looks from multiple formations, pre-snap motion before almost every play and a balanced attack of run/pass that sets up the play action. 

There will be no more predictable Frank Gore pounded into the heart of the D Line. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeattleJet said:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/04/robert-salehs-staff-bringing-kyle-shanahan-playbook-to-jets/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

I don't know how to embed the article, but this is a great read on philosophy of their offense and defense. Excited about this season.

Wasn’t there just an article talking about teams trying to copy Shanahans offense and failing?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeattleJet said:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/04/robert-salehs-staff-bringing-kyle-shanahan-playbook-to-jets/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

I don't know how to embed the article, but this is a great read on philosophy of their offense and defense. Excited about this season.

Thank you for posting...

The article and this for me said it all...

The offense must not only fit the personnel,” the entry reads, “it must also be specifically tailored to MAXIMIZE THE STRENGTHS of our players.”

We have not seen this like FOREVER, regardless of the staff!

• Sympathy 1

Philosophies are lovely, but it comes down to execution. John Idzik had a good philosophy, but failed miserably. 

I feel better about the offense right now, which is weird. I think the offense will look more like the Packers than the 49ers, both because of Zach’s strengths and the weakness at TE. Jets will run a lot more 11 personnel than they do in SF. 

Getting to the QB with just four guys (or less) is critical for this defense, which is why Lawson was a critical loss. Even with Carl, I expected a lot of rotation on the defensive front, and now I expect a lot more. Guys like Huff and JFM will have every opportunity to prove themselves. Also think Saleh/Ulbrich are simply going to have to blitz more than they’d like to. Delicate balance, as the young secondary needs all the support it can get. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SeattleJet said:

Or offense will be more similar to GB's than the 49ers in most likelihood.

2 hours ago, tfine said:

Yea I guess I’m just a fan of the Defense bringing the heat from all directions. I still remember the first time Rex faced NE……that was an awesome performance.

To be honest I am super glad to be away from the blitz happy 3-4 defenses like Rex ran. I hope we never run that again. It's cool when it works but over time the bend don't break defenses are better

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, tfine said:

Gase didn’t have a game plan he basically was just trying things during the game to see what worked.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but his autistic mind came up with the PERFECT game plan. He literally would draw up a scoring drive on every opening drive if a game, a small adjustment would be made, and he would be alone, on the bench, looking puzzled, with his little clipboard. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The defensive philosophy nowadays is more about limiting the opponent rather than stopping them. If you have an offense that can score 28 points, you only need to limit the opponent to 24 to win the game, that sort of mindset. Force a FG rather than allow a TD, that's a result.

You don't stop the likes of Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers week in week out.

It used to be that if you had a smothering D you could get by with an offense that scored less than 20 points. The rules now make that so much harder. The emphasis seen so far on offense from both JD and Saleh is encouraging ... I just hope the outcome is equally as encouraging.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Wit said:

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but his autistic mind came up with the PERFECT game plan. He literally would draw up a scoring drive on every opening drive if a game, a small adjustment would be made, and he would be alone, on the bench, looking puzzled, with his little clipboard. 

Gase would often have this look on his face like “that’s wierd, when I had Peyton Manning, Decker and Demariyus Thomas playing for me and called that same vanilla play on 3rd down somehow it worked”