Jets Sign Kicker Eddie Pinerio and Cut Kicker Alex Kessman

Wikipedia is on top of this sh*t!

Eddy Piñeiro Jr. (born September 13, 1995) is an American football placekicker for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Florida, and signed with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2018 before joining the Chicago Bears the following year.

Of the moves that Joe Douglas has made in his tenure I find this one (and the whole kicking situation for that matter) most perplexing. Going back to past season up until now it seemed like Joe Douglas wanted to develop a young kicker from Kaare Vedvik to Sam Fickens in 2019 to Naggar, Amendola and Kesserman this season. I tried to make sense each time he moved on from kicker to kicker. I am currently finding trouble making sense of the Jets moving on from Amendola from a developmental point of view. Amendola has a huge leg, it separates him from much of the NFL if not all. His misses were not by much, seemed like a great candidate to continue to invest in, simply  tweeking minor adjustments here and there in hopes that he gets it right (similar to how Nick Folk started his career). When they cut Amendola for Kesserman I gave Douglas the benefit of the doubt because of course an NFL GM knows much more than I do. Maybe Amendola was a terrible teammate? Didnt work hard? Didnt listen to his coaches? In a year where we are evaluating each position, why would we cut Amendola after showing such promise? Even in his last game Amendola hit his last attempt forcing Houston to need a TD at the end rather than a FG. Its not like he totally crapped the bed and was an embarrassment, he missed by such small amounts.  And to only allow  Kesseman two extra point attempts and then cut him pretty much by the end of the first quarter? Why not let him get every opportunity yesterday rather than making it painfully clear that it was 2 extra points and your out? And if it is clearly Douglas's case to Kesserman, then why now is it time to bring in a veteran? Why not sign a veteran  from the beginning or stick with the plan of developing a rookie/second year kicker? 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Of the moves that Joe Douglas has made in his tenure I find this one (and the whole kicking situation for that matter) most perplexing. Going back to past season up until now it seemed like Joe Douglas wanted to develop a young kicker from Kaare Vedvik to Sam Fickens in 2019 to Naggar, Amendola and Kesserman this season. I tried to make sense each time he moved on from kicker to kicker. I am currently finding trouble making sense of the Jets moving on from Amendola from a developmental point of view. Amendola has a huge leg, it separates him from much of the NFL if not all. His misses were not by much, seemed like a great candidate to continue to invest in, simply  tweeking minor adjustments here and there in hopes that he gets it right (similar to how Nick Folk started his career). When they cut Amendola for Kesserman I gave Douglas the benefit of the doubt because of course an NFL GM knows much more than I do. Maybe Amendola was a terrible teammate? Didnt work hard? Didnt listen to his coaches? I know this may sound crazy, but in a year where we are evaluating each position, why would we cut Amendola after showing such promise. Even in his last game he hit his last attempt forcing Houston to need a TD at the end rather than a FG. And to only allow  Kesseman two extra point attempts and then cut him pretty much by the end of the first quarter? Why not let him get every opportunity yesterday rather than making it painfully clear that it was 2 extra points and your out? And if it is clearly Douglas's case to Kesserman, then why now is it time to bring in a veteran? Why not sign a veteran  from the beginning or stick with the plan of developing a rookie/second year kicker? 

This and Morestead... not sure I understand why they won't pay special teamers.

I get it more with Mann, I guess, they like the potential over expensive veteran... I don't understand Amendola... Unless there is more to the story

• Upvote 1

This kicking thing has now become a complete debacle.  I often see Joe Douglas blamed for this problem, and he is the CEO of the operation so he does bear some responsibility, but what about the Special Teams Coordinator, Brant Boyer?  I believe I read in some of the recent discussions about Morestead and Braden Mann that Boyer was the one who "pounded the table" to draft Mann in 2020.  His video highlights in college were legendary and he had won a Ray Guy Award as the Nation's top Punter.  He was mediocre at best last year, prior to his injury and is now below minimum performance levels for the league.  Something is off there, it doesn't make sense.  I understand trying to find a young placekicker, like Buffalo did with Tyler Bass who was taken 3 picks before Braden Mann in the 2020 Draft.  But failing that now several times and especially since it's a mostly young, not so talented roster where every 1 or 3 points missed means something, I would have thought that a guy with 2 or 3 years pro experience would have been the better choice at Kicker rather than a rookie, several times.  There was something likeable and talent wise appealing to Amendola developmentally but maybe the guy scouting and recommending these guys, Boyer (Mann, Naggar, Amendola, Kessman), likely with help from the scouts, doesn't have a clue on Kickers/Punters.  Boyer is certainly no Mike Westhoff from what I can tell.  I've even seen less than stellar play from Justin Hardy, the guy we just had to have in the last free agency as he was supposed to be one of the top special team players in the league.

• Upvote 1

The sudden infatuation with Ammendola's supposedly big leg is pretty comical, considering the guy can't hit a damn thing from 40 yards and beyond.  At this point JD has no clue how to scout kickers, as I have to imagine he now holds a record for having multiple signings who have missed every single attempt of their pro careers.

At this stage, the one thing Pinerio at least has going for him is he's already avoided that particularly JD curse due to his time in Chicago, which while a far from outstanding season was still worlds better than anything the Jets have had these past 3 years.

• Upvote 1