Mount Rushmore Of Rock Guitarist

25 minutes ago, undertow said:

I never understood treating music like a sport...music elitism is annoying I could be listening to Depeche Mode one second and Cannibal Corpse the next.

Agreed.  I'm all over the place.  I cant do country music but I dont judge people for liking it.  Someone introduced me to Chris Stapleton, he's really good.  Wouldnt even consider it Country....more, soulful southern rock to me than what I consider country.  Anywho, I dont judge but not liking the Pixies is a weird one of me.  They're amazing and have clearly influenced everything that came out of the 90's and into what you hear today on the Indie scene but to each their own.  If doesnt register, it doesnt register, I get it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed.  I'm all over the place.  I cant do country music but I dont judge people for liking it.  Someone introduced me to Chris Stapleton, he's really good.  Wouldnt even consider it Country....more, soulful southern rock to me than what I consider country.  Anywho, I dont judge but not liking the Pixies is a weird one of me.  They're amazing and have clearly influenced everything that came out of the 90's and into what you hear today on the Indie scene but to each their own.  If doesnt register, it doesnt register, I get it.

I owned Doolittle which was a pretty good album but was only a casual fan of indie rock or post punk or whatever genre that is. lol  The only country album I ever owned was Johnny Cash's Folsum Prison Blues and his cover album.  I don't even know who Chris Stapelton is I honestly have checked out on new music I'm mostly stuck in the 90's and before and revisit albums and bands I wasn't fans of back then.  It's a bummer that all my favorite bands are retiring from touring and getting old there's only a handful of bands left that I would go see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

I owned Doolittle which was a pretty good album but was only a casual fan of indie rock or post punk or whatever genre that is. lol  The only country album I ever owned was Johnny Cash's Folsum Prison Blues and his cover album.  I don't even know who Chris Stapelton is I honestly have checked out on new music I'm mostly stuck in the 90's and before and revisit albums and bands I wasn't fans of back then.  It's a bummer that all my favorite bands are retiring from touring and getting old there's only a handful of bands left that I would go see.

I love everything Pixies.  I love Frank Black and I even love The Breeders, Kim Deal's band (popular song, Cannonball).

See, I wouldnt consider Johnny Cash, country.  More Rock-a-Billy IMO.  But whatever, genres are meaningless, IMO.  

I listen to everything.  I tend to find myself hearing something, liking it and wanting to learn about their influences and typically learn or hear something new as I go down a rabbit hole of hearing their influences. 

I just learned this morning that two of my favorite alternative 90's bands, Janes Addiction and Smashing Pumpkins was just added to Rockville this year which is headlining with Kiss, Korn, Guns and Roses and Foo Fighters. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I love everything Pixies.  I love Frank Black and I even love The Breeders, Kim Deal's band (popular song, Cannonball).

See, I wouldnt consider Johnny Cash, country.  More Rock-a-Billy IMO.  But whatever, genres are meaningless, IMO.  

I listen to everything.  I tend to find myself hearing something, liking it and wanting to learn about their influences and typically learn or hear something new as I go down a rabbit hole of hearing their influences. 

I just learned this morning that two of my favorite alternative 90's bands, Janes Addiction and Smashing Pumpkins was just added to Rockville this year which is headlining with Kiss, Korn, Guns and Roses and Foo Fighters. 

I went to Rockville twice once to see Tool a few years ago and maybe 5 or 6 years ago to see Soundgarden...Cornell died like a week later I think.   That's not a bad line up I haven't been to a concert in years think I'm gonna go to that.

• Upvote 1

As a subset, I think guitar solos should have their own monument.

Duane playing the last guitar solo in Elizabeth Reed on the Live at Fillmore east Album is so so good--so much incredible feeling.  Last 7-8 mins of the song incredible but at the 11:30 mark off the charts.

One of my favorites from grade school--Ric Derringer Rock n Roll Hootchey Koo, about 1:40 mark

Santana She's Not There about the 1:40 mark

Cream Crossroads starting about the 2:40 mark but then just keeps going

Honorable mention for me-- we all forgot how great Zappa was, one of my favorite solos Pojama People about the 2:20 mark--the rest is basically a guitar solo

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, undertow said:

I went to Rockville twice once to see Tool a few years ago and maybe 5 or 6 years ago to see Soundgarden...Cornell died like a week later I think.   That's not a bad line up I haven't been to a concert in years think I'm gonna go to that.

The ones in Jacksonville?  We probably bumped shoulders in the pit! lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, undertow said:

I never understood treating music like a sport...music elitism is annoying I could be listening to Depeche Mode one second and Cannibal Corpse the next.

I am also all over the map, but I do understand elitism.

So here it goes:

To most people, music is just a thing they enjoy. They play it in their cars and sing along. But for most thats where it ends. 95% of people view music as just another small form of entertainment like another episode of seinfeld.

To the rest of us, its much more important. multi-day music festivals and deep familiarization with "unknown" bands is the norm. The 95% just couldnt hang to watch 4 bands straight for 5 hours. "lets go back to camp and build a fire" or "Im gonna go take a walk " code for walking around and surfing the net on their phones. These people almost never seek out unknown artists........

Now throw in the fact that you are a musician and a whole other world opens up. A non musician hears some gimmicky riff and says"omg did you hear that? sick!" and the musician cringes in disgust because he or she knows how cheesey of a riff it was and how a 12 year old could have pulled that off. 

The biggest irritation I have as i guess an elitist is watching the rest of you guys get "fed" your dose by commercial radio and TV. You like X because it gets played on the radio all the time. You like Y because its on that popular TV show. All these kids in school like the same rappers and songs. Its like sheep to the slaughter, like the lemmings jumping off the cliff. Maybe just a few out of 100 actually listen to what the others arent listening to.

The other night my wife insisted on watching the Beyonce special. Holy crap I was about to murder someone. She said "wth, you dont think she can sing?" I said "Yes, she has a nice voice but she is a dime a dozen and its mindless commercial garbage". I had to leave the room/. This woman was seriously getting treated like she was the most important person of the 21st century. It was vomit inducing, but there she was in prime time. I rest my case.

So this does not make me any better than you or any smarter. keep that in mind. Its just whats important to me. I have no interest in golf, although I have played but as such I wont tell you the greatest golfers and what is a great golf trick because the passionate hardcore golfers here would want to vomit on me. Same thing with cigars. Not a fan but Ill partake. My rich buddy offers me a cuban and I am wise enough to say no thanks because it would be a waste on me. I couldnt tell a cuban from a 7 dollar cigar. 

So thats how music elitism comes about. 

these type of threads always turn into a popularity contest lol

So the pixies....joey santiago. good example.

are the pixies great?

,yes

are they underrated?

yes by mainstreamers  they are, but not by those in the know.

is joey a great guitarist?

No. Not even close to the top 100 in my book but does it matter?

Is joey more important thaN STEVIE RAY VAUGN?

yes. to me he is. even if SRV is considered one of the all time greats, his songs are generic as f. simple blues. as a guitar player sure he is good but sounds like hendrix. boring copy. Ill go with joey

On 12/14/2021 at 10:25 AM, HighPitch said:

what are we honoring them for? It needs to be very specific.

Innovators:

1. Hendrix

2. van halen

3. Zappa

4. Fripp

Songwriters:

1. paul simon

2. jerry garcia

3. hackett

4. Nocentelli

Shredders:

1. Malmsteen

2. i dont care

3. I dont care Im not a child

Feel:

1. alex lifeson

2. gilmour

3. clapton

Overall feel, songwriting, originality and play: (these are the best, the giants among giants)

1. alex lifeson

2. trey anastasio

3. duane allman

4. richards

Bob Dylan trumps them all

On 12/14/2021 at 1:50 PM, munchmemory said:

Earl Slick rocks.  And since you mentioned Lou Reed, how do we not put Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on the underrated list?  Their work on Lou's "Rock and Roll Animal" is breathtaking.

Were they the guitarists on the R&R Animal version of Sweet Jane (with that awesome intro)?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure I know that "Berlin" album but I'll definitely check it out.  Thanks!

Not sure it would be worth your while.   It's a very dark album and you won't get those same blistering guitar leads.  

I remember my best friend and me (both huge Velvet/Lou fans) listening to it when it was first released and just shaking our heads.   Think I learned to appreciate the songs more as time went by.  But back then did not dig the record.  Berlin--with it's tragic story line and plodding arrangements--is still a difficult listen.

"Lady Day", which is covered on Rock & Roll Animal, is probably my favorite cut on Berlin.

15 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not sure it would be worth your while.   It's a very dark album and you won't get those same blistering guitar leads.  

I remember my best friend and me (both huge Velvet/Lou fans) listening to it when it was first released and just shaking our heads.   Think I learned to appreciate the songs more as time went by.  But back then did not dig the record.  Berlin--with it's tragic story line and plodding arrangements--is still a difficult listen.

"Lady Day", which is covered on Rock & Roll Animal, is probably my favorite cut on Berlin.

Too late!  Already listening.  :) 

I like Lou Reed in general so I don't need blistering guitar to like his music.  I have to say though that it is heavy and depressing (like you said).  I noticed in Caroline Says II  (I think that was the one) that he says "Catch-as-catch-can" which I think is also said (without the "can") by David Lee Roth in Van Halen's "Little Guitars".  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Too late!  Already listening.  :) 

I like Lou Reed in general so I don't need blistering guitar to like his music.  I have to say though that it is heavy and depressing (like you said).  I noticed in Caroline Says II  (I think that was the one) that he says "Catch-as-catch-can" which I think is also said (without the "can") by David Lee Roth in Van Halen's "Little Guitars".  

"The Kids" is one of the most heart breaking, depressing songs ever.  One verse:

They're taking her children away
Because they said she was not a good mother
Because of the things that they heard she had done
The black air force sergeant was not the first one
And all of the drugs she took
Every one, every one

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

"The Kids" is one of the most heart breaking, depressing songs ever.  One verse:

Because they said she was not a good mother
Because of the things that they heard she had done
The black air force sergeant was not the first one
And all of the drugs she took
Every one, every one

Agreed, it was brutal.  Like a lot of the album (which I just finished listening to) I liked it but I don't know how often I'd want to hear it again.  :)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed, it was brutal.  Like a lot of the album (which I just finished listening to) I liked it but I don't know how often I'd want to hear it again.  :)

Definitely an acquired taste.  Glad you dug it some level.  It's in no way a horrible album.  Just totally depressing.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:00 PM, JiFapono said:

Such a hard question and the answer could vary depending on what it's in my ear lately, and I know my list is generic and boring but, it is what is: Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

that said, I'd have to have like a collage of faces sculpted just below with:  Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, EVH, David Gilmour, Keith Richards, Angus Young, Tommi Iommi, George Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Prince, Chuck Berry, Pete Townsend, Buddy Guy, Carlos Santana, Joey Ramone, Alex Lifeson, Slash, Tom Morello, Randy Rhodes

That said, this question gets answer the same way, change the name pretty much the same way.  I think a more interesting question, no offense Mick, is who are the most underrated guitar players of all time?   That's a fun list.  Mine looks like:

Rivers Cuomo - Weezer

Rivers Cuomo is an insanely talented songwriter and guitarist that goes wayyyy under the radar because he either overthinks his great material on the cutting board, or tries too hard to be a popstar. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2021 at 1:58 PM, munchmemory said:

Here's a quote about EVH by Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains) which I read yesterday.   Really gives us a perspective on Eddie's truly unique ability.

“I’ll go back to Eddie Van Halen. I remember reading one time about how Ted Nugent was perplexed by Ed’s sound. The story goes that he went over and plugged into Eddie’s sh*t to see what kind of secret stuff he had in his rig, and when he started playing he just sounded like Ted Nugent. I had the exact same experience. 

“Once in a while at a soundcheck, I would plug into his amp and I sounded like Jerry Cantrell. In turn, Eddie would play through my sh*t and sound like Eddie Van Halen. It’s in the ******* hands. It’s in your flesh. You can mess with gear and it will give you a little bit of color, but it’s really in the flesh.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/jerry-cantrell-brighten-alice-in-chains

Speaking of Cantrell, haven't really seen him mentioned yet. I believe him to be one of the best to ever do it. Fantastic guitarist, singer and songwriter

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Speaking of Cantrell, haven't really seen him mentioned yet. I believe him to be one of the best to ever do it. Fantastic guitarist, singer and songwriter

The guy can write a riff.  Great rhythm player, too.  Loved the way his voice and Layne's blended on so many great Alice in Chains songs.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Definitely an acquired taste.  Glad you dug it some level.  It's in no way a horrible album.  Just totally depressing.

I liked the album.  I just found it very heavy/depressing that I probably won't listen to it all that often.  Definitely something you'd have to be in the mood for.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Watching the new Beatles documentary on Disney plus is mind blowing.  The creativity has to be unparalleled with those 4

Is there another way to see it for those of us without Disney +?  I've seen some clips of it and it looks amazing.  

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Watching the new Beatles documentary on Disney plus is mind blowing.  The creativity has to be unparalleled with those 4

I'm finishing up a couple other subscriptions before joining Disney.  But I've been dying to see that long-sequestered footage since hearing about it months ago.  Think this weekend is when I finally check it out.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:59 AM, New York Mick said:

I’m sick of talking about the same crap with the Jets/NFL so who would be on your MRM of rock guitarist? I was BSing about this a few musicians and they had a bunch. For me it would be 

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimmy Page

Mark Knopfler

David Gilmour

Jeff Beck