Mount Rushmore Of Rock Guitarist

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

I’m sick of talking about the same crap with the Jets/NFL so who would be on your MRM of rock guitarist? I was BSing about this a few musicians and they had a bunch. For me it would be 

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I care far more about players who play with feel than who shred.

Page and Gilmour have to be on there for my list.  Difficult for me to say a #3 and #4.  Let me think.

• Post of the Week 1

These are the four who have influenced my listening and playing the most.

Pete Townshend--Best right hand and overall rhythm player ever in rock.

Jimmy Page--The music as well as his cutting edge production, overdubbing and sonic approach are still fresh today.  And I always still play his riffs.

Jeff Beck--As a pure master of the instrument, no one touches Beck.   Not by a mile.

Chuck Berry--Both in terms of rhythm and lead, wrote the book on how rock guitar should be played.  To this day, no matter if it's MOR or death metal, guitarists still play his riffs and double stops.

Honorable mention:  Edward Van Halen--Another guitarist who single handedly (pun intended) changed the genre.  Many have tried, but no one truly ever captured Eddie's tone and attack.

• Upvote 3

Here's a quote about EVH by Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains) which I read yesterday.   Really gives us a perspective on Eddie's truly unique ability.

“I’ll go back to Eddie Van Halen. I remember reading one time about how Ted Nugent was perplexed by Ed’s sound. The story goes that he went over and plugged into Eddie’s sh*t to see what kind of secret stuff he had in his rig, and when he started playing he just sounded like Ted Nugent. I had the exact same experience. 

“Once in a while at a soundcheck, I would plug into his amp and I sounded like Jerry Cantrell. In turn, Eddie would play through my sh*t and sound like Eddie Van Halen. It’s in the ******* hands. It’s in your flesh. You can mess with gear and it will give you a little bit of color, but it’s really in the flesh.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/jerry-cantrell-brighten-alice-in-chains

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Here's a quote about EVH by Jerry Cantrell (Alive In Chains) which I read yesterday.   Really gives us a perspective on Eddie's truly unique ability.

“I’ll go back to Eddie Van Halen. I remember reading one time about how Ted Nugent was perplexed by Ed’s sound. The story goes that he went over and plugged into Eddie’s sh*t to see what kind of secret stuff he had in his rig, and when he started playing he just sounded like Ted Nugent. I had the exact same experience. 

“Once in a while at a soundcheck, I would plug into his amp and I sounded like Jerry Cantrell. In turn, Eddie would play through my sh*t and sound like Eddie Van Halen. It’s in the ******* hands. It’s in your flesh. You can mess with gear and it will give you a little bit of color, but it’s really in the flesh.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/jerry-cantrell-brighten-alice-in-chains

Glad I got to see Van Halen (the band) before they finally broke up and he passed. David Lee Roth was awful but just watching EVH was awesome. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Glad I got to see Van Halen (the band) before they finally broke up and he passed. David Lee Roth was awful but just watching EVH was awesome. 

I was lucky enough to be at a Black Sabbath show at MSG with Van Halen opening.  It was their first tour.  Two things I remember from that show: 1. Having no idea what Eddie was doing with his guitar.   Just mind blowing. 2. Part of the seats in the Garden on fire with burning crosses.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Sneaky good choice.  Had no idea how good a guitarist he was until I saw this.

One of my favortie RR Hall vids.  I love the reaction from Harrison's son during Prince's solo.  Everything about this video is awesome.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I was lucky enough to be at a Black Sabbath show at MSG with Van Halen opening.  It was their first tour.  Two things I remember from that show: 1. Having no idea what Eddie was doing with his guitar.   Just mind blowing. 2. Part of the seats in the Garden on fire with burning crosses.

I was there.....   I remember during War Pigs, the burning cross being hoisted to the beat of the music.   

• Sympathy 1

On 12/12/2021 at 9:59 AM, New York Mick said:

I’m sick of talking about the same crap with the Jets/NFL so who would be on your MRM of rock guitarist? I was BSing about this a few musicians and they had a bunch. For me it would be 

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I would put explosives and remove satriani will much anger. I would also hope the explosion chips away at Vaughan a bit

what are we honoring them for? It needs to be very specific.

Innovators:

1. Hendrix

2. van halen

3. Zappa

4. Fripp

Songwriters:

1. paul simon

2. jerry garcia

3. hackett

4. Nocentelli

Shredders:

1. Malmsteen

2. i dont care

3. I dont care Im not a child

Feel:

1. alex lifeson

2. gilmour

3. clapton

Overall feel, songwriting, originality and play: (these are the best, the giants among giants)

1. alex lifeson

2. trey anastasio

3. duane allman

4. richards

Such a hard question and the answer could vary depending on what it's in my ear lately, and I know my list is generic and boring but, it is what is: Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

that said, I'd have to have like a collage of faces sculpted just below with:  Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, EVH, David Gilmour, Keith Richards, Angus Young, Tommi Iommi, George Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Prince, Chuck Berry, Pete Townsend, Buddy Guy, Carlos Santana, Joey Ramone, Alex Lifeson, Slash, Tom Morello, Randy Rhodes

That said, this question gets answer the same way, change the name pretty much the same way.  I think a more interesting question, no offense Mick, is who are the most underrated guitar players of all time?   That's a fun list.  Mine looks like:

Ron Asheton - The Stooges

Mike McCready - Pearl Jam

Richie Sambora - Bon Jovi

Joey Santiago - Pixies

Rivers Cuomo - Weezer

Ernie Isley - Isley Brothers

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Such a hard question and the answer could vary depending on what it's in my ear lately, and I know my list is generic and boring but, it is what is: Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughn.

that said, I'd have to have like a collage of faces sculpted just below with:  Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, EVH, David Gilmour, Keith Richards, Angus Young, Tommi Iommi, George Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Prince, Chuck Berry, Pete Townsend, Buddy Guy, Carlos Santana, Joey Ramone, Alex Lifeson, Slash, Tom Morello, Randy Rhodes

That said, this question gets answer the same way, change the name pretty much the same way.  I think a more interesting question, no offense Mick, is who are the most underrated guitar players of all time?   That's a fun list.  Mine looks like:

Joey Santiago - Pixies

Rivers Cuomo - Weezer

Underrated (off the top of my head):

Mick Box, Uriah Heep

Ron Wood, Stones

Mick Ronson, Bowie

Michael Schenker, UFO

Joe Walsh, James Gang era

Mick Ralphs, Mott/Bad Company

George Lynch, Dokken

Warren DiMartinin, Ratt

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Underrated (off the top of my head):

Mick Box, Uriah Heep

Ron Wood, Stones

Mick Ronson, Bowie

Michael Schenker, UFO

Joe Walsh, James Gang era

Mick Ralphs, Mott/Bad Company

George Lynch, Dokken

Warren DiMartinin, Ratt

Ronson is a great call.  Underrated in the fact he played along all-time song writers; he was the lead on Lou Reed's - Transformer in addition to years with Bowie.   Ziggy Stardust is one of my all-time favorite songs, the way he attacks the guitar on that song is everything.

Speaking of Bowie guitar players, Earl Slick is pretty underrated.  Dude filled in for Stevie Ray Vaughn when him and Bowie couldnt get on the same page.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Ronson is a great call.  Underrated in the fact he played along all-time song writers; he was the lead on Lou Reed's - Transformer in addition to years with Bowie.   Ziggy Stardust is one of my all-time favorite songs, the way he attacks the guitar on that song is everything.

Speaking of Bowie guitar players, Earl Slick is pretty underrated.  Dude filled in for Stevie Ray Vaughn when him and Bowie couldnt get on the same page.

Earl Slick rocks.  And since you mentioned Lou Reed, how do we not put Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on the underrated list?  Their work on Lou's "Rock and Roll Animal" is breathtaking.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Earl Slick rocks.  And since you mentioned Lou Reed, how do we not put Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on the underrated list?  Their work on Lou's "Rock and Roll Animal" is breathtaking.

Dick Wagner for sure, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper - he had some sinister rifts in his day.  Love that sound.  Which is why I love Tommi Iommi and Ron Asheton so much, skin crawling beauty. 

Need to look up Steve Hunter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Joey Santiago - Pixies

Rivers Cuomo - Weezer

blocked and reported for mentioning the f'n pixies in a positive light.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

blocked and reported for mentioning the f'n pixies in a positive light.

I try to be a learner before a judger as practice in life in general, but one thing I dont need help with that mindset is music.  You like what you like but if you knock the Pixies, I'll cut you.   Top 10 all time favorite band, easily for me and think whatever stupid rationale you have for not liking them is can be kept to yourself.  I enjoy, Cocky B.  I dont want that to change.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I try to be a learner before a judger as practice in life in general, but one thing I dont need help with that mindset is music.  You like what you like but if you knock the Pixies, I'll cut you.   Top 10 all time favorite band, easily for me and think whatever stupid rationale you have for not liking them is can be kept to yourself.  I enjoy, Cocky B.  I dont want that to change.

I never understood treating music like a sport...music elitism is annoying I could be listening to Depeche Mode one second and Cannibal Corpse the next.

• Upvote 2