Draftek MOCK DRAFT.....Would you?

CanadaSteve

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Love it except for Jaglaftis.  Get OL at 4 and its exactly what I have been telling you Joe D is going to do.

I actually like Karlaftis. Your 'Jag'laftis gag is getting old. 

But in this scenario I would not pass on Ekwonu and he would be my pick at 4. You just can't go wrong with dominant o-linemen. 

Not a huge fan of Wilson at 10. Probably would go Edge (Ojabo/Karl.) or Hamilton or Lloyd or maybe Burks/London. Just don't think Wilson is the guy for this offense with Moore and Davis and what I am assuming will be Berrios coming back.

The rest of the mock looks solid to me. Love Breece Hall. Maybe not in the 2nd, but whatever. Love Zion. If we took Ekwonu at 4, probably would be a different pick. But anyway.  

4 hours ago, Kolchak said:

No on Karlaftis for me.  Just don't see him worthy of being picked that high. 

I really hope I'm wrong, because I'm sure he's going to be the pick.

I struggle with this as well.

But let me say this.... If someone doesn't think Karlaftis is worth it at #4 but that he'd be a better pick at #8 or something, then I'll tell you what, him at #4.

Either you evaluate the guy as an excellent DE or you don't.  If you like him, don't get cute about the specific spot you take him.  If he's a Top 10 guy in a Draft like this without many elite Tier 1 players, then you can take him at #4.  For me, it will come down to his Combine and Pro Day.

I remember the 2017 Draft and people getting cute with players like Tre'Davious White and TJ Watt.  Everyone liked those guys but they each had a concern or two that made teams say, "Yeah.... but not in the Top 10."

"White looks like a great CB, but Top 10 is too high for him.  He'd be a better pick later."  Well, Buffalo took him at #27.  Pro Bowler.

"TJ Watt is super talented but I wish his production was better in college.  Not sure how he'll hold up against the run in the 4-3.  Great talent but not a Top 10 guy."  Pitt takes him at #30.  Pro Bowler.

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

But let me say this.... If someone doesn't think Karlaftis is worth it at #4 but that he'd be a better pick at #8 or something, then I'll tell you what, him at #4.

Either you evaluate the guy as an excellent DE or you don't.  If you like him, don't get cute about the specific spot you take him.  If he's a Top 10 guy in a Draft like this without many elite Tier 1 players, then you can take him at #4.  For me, it will come down to his Combine and Pro Day.

I remember the 2017 Draft and people getting cute with players like Tre'Davious White and TJ Watt.  Everyone liked those guys but they each had a concern or two that made teams say, "Yeah.... but not in the Top 10."

"White looks like a great CB, but Top 10 is too high for him.  He'd be a better pick later."  Well, Buffalo took him at #27.  Pro Bowler.

"TJ Watt is super talented but I wish his production was better in college.  Not sure how he'll hold up against the run in the 4-3.  Great talent but not a Top 10 guy."  Pitt takes him at #30.  Pro Bowler.

Two excellent examples.  Teams psych themselves out over picks, draft capital and players.  Guess I'm not any different.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

Two excellent examples.  Teams psych themselves out over picks, draft capital and players.  Guess I'm not any different.

It's human nature.  I'm the same way.

And, there are a lot of analogies to everyday life.  "I really want to buy APPLE stock but I'm not paying $125 per share.  That's too high.  When it comes down I'll buy it."  It's over $160 now. lol

If the Jets would love a player at #8 then they should really like him at #4 which is fine.  But it's about opportunity cost.  If there were much better, elite players at #4 that you'd be passing on to take Karlaftis then that's a concern.  But I just don't see any super elite guys at the top of this Draft.  There's no Trevor Lawrence, Chase Young, Nick Bosa, etc. in this Draft.  Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are excellent players, probably worthy of the Top 2 picks but after that it's a mixed bag IMO.  In fact, it's so relatively thin at the top this year that there's been a gravitational pull on a Safety, Kyle Hamilton, into the Top 4 potentially. There has only been 1 Safety in the past 30 years Drafted in the Top 5 and that was Sean Taylor.  Don't get me wrong, Hamilton is great, but he's only being talked about in the Top 4-5 this year because of how slim the pickens are.  In this kind of situation I'd have no problem with Karlaftis at #4 if he confirms his worthiness during the Combine and Pro Day events.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

All the guys with the super cool 'Noooo' gifs have no alternatives. LMFAO. 

LOL, yes, definitely, no alternatives.

Jets' pick at 4 should be one of Hutchinson, Thibs, Neal and Ekwonu; Karlaftis isn't a good enough pass rusher to warrant passing on finishing the OL (with a player who could start as an elite RG and then kick out to tackle the next year once we have more info to make the Fant/Becton decision). The WR group in this draft isn't high-end enough to warrant a No. 10 pick - give me Lloyd if necessary and folks like Karlaftis and Hamilton don't make it to 10 (and they may) and the team doesn't feel like Ojabo fits the scheme; you could then come back with a Cam Thomas/Jermaine Johnson type at the top of round 2 if we didn't take edge in round 1. 

McBride at the top of the second is a great pick, and I doubt Zion Johnson is there in the third so if you can grab him there, go for it. But the whole point of the Shanahan rushing attack is that you can get very successful backs without spending much capital on them - so we're going to drop a high second round pick on Breece Hall? No thanks. And Smoke Monday is a box safety, not particularly tantalizing.

But yeah, no alternatives. Tell me more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Yep. The reason to pass on Karlaftis at 4 is "I think there are better players available at key positions" not some abstract notion of what a 4th overall pick should look like. This class is what it is.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Love it except for Jaglaftis.  Get OL at 4 and its exactly what I have been telling you Joe D is going to do.

You only spend on LT in top 8-9.... and we have one.  We can get C at 10. Tyler Linderbalm will be there - makes more sense than wasting it on a LT we dont need or reaching for Center that will surely be there at 10