2022 Senior Bowl practice updates and news

sec101row23

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Do you think he'd be there with the Jets 3rd round pick?

There are several positions that I'd love to see the Jets double-dip in this Draft.  Trading back from #4 (unless Hutch or Thib is there) is becoming a big, big wish for me.  Turning the #4 into a couple of picks later in the 1st/2nd would open the door to things like getting two quality TEs and two DEs out of this Draft while still hitting WR, OL, LB.

Basically, I'd love to get something like both the #5 and #7 ranked Edge guys rather than the 3rd best guy at #4.

I’m probably not the best person to ask about projected draft position, but based Ion everything I’ve seen projected for him and other similar prospects in the past, I’d say he’s probably there in RD 3, but probably not much longer.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There are several positions that I'd love to see the Jets double-dip in this Draft.  Trading back from #4 (unless Hutch or Thib is there) is becoming a big, big wish for me.  Turning the #4 into a couple of picks later in the 1st/2nd would open the door to things like getting two quality TEs and two DEs out of this Draft while still hitting WR, OL, LB.

Basically, I'd love to get something like both the #5 and #7 ranked Edge guys rather than the 3rd best guy at #4.

We HAVE to make this happen.  There is nobody at 4 we absolutley need but there are a passel of players later in the first and 2nd and 3rd that would fit so perfectly.  

But because there is nobody we need to have, it's likely no one is going to want to trade back with.

Some of these QBs need to start rocketing up the board.

Maybe Pickett dislocates his double jointed thumb and his hand measures at 14 inches.  

On 1/31/2022 at 5:34 PM, derp said:

Good stuff. I don’t know where Parham played but if he moves well at 313 he’s a really interesting developmental iOL guy. Weatherford up to 230 my goodness, just pencil him in to the Jets already.

I looked into parham after Brugler had him as his #5 IOL. He really likes him and seems like a perfect fit for this O. Hes gained like 30 lbs over the past year.  Here’s his write up from a month or so ago. 

EA9C460D-546A-4958-9C12-911498414C26.png

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

1) Might be confirmation bias to a degree, but I really am still not a fan of Daniel Faalele. He's a gigantic dude, but doesn't play with power in his punch, gets outleveraged, and doesn't have quick feet. I think he's going to get eaten up by speed at the next level. 

2) The IOL depth in this draft I think is going to be pretty suspect unless some of these tackle prospects convert over. Jaxson Kirkland also withdrew from the draft yesterday I think so it's another OL depth guy out.

3) Some nice reps from Winfrey, outside of I think one or two where he got handled. Nice reps from Travis Jones as well.

4) Trevor Penning I wonder if is going to have a similar experience to Spencer Brown where he's clearly strong and athletic but is going to struggle. Would want to see more of his reps in general. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

1) Might be confirmation bias to a degree, but I really am still not a fan of Daniel Faalele. He's a gigantic dude, but doesn't play with power in his punch, gets outleveraged, and doesn't have quick feet. I think he's going to get eaten up by speed at the next level. 

2) The IOL depth in this draft I think is going to be pretty suspect unless some of these tackle prospects convert over. Jaxson Kirkland also withdrew from the draft yesterday I think so it's another OL depth guy out.

3) Some nice reps from Winfrey, outside of I think one or two where he got handled. Nice reps from Travis Jones as well.

4) Trevor Penning I wonder if is going to have a similar experience to Spencer Brown where he's clearly strong and athletic but is going to struggle. Would want to see more of his reps in general. 

What I find hilarious is that Penning was this “first round tackle” but he’s clearly not that. His tape shows that he can’t hang in the NFL and yet it takes til now for that to start becoming the actual narrative. The guy is a guard or a really poor tackle. That’s fine but it’s not top 50 tackle prospect that PFF and others pretend he is. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

What I find hilarious is that Penning was this “first round tackle” but he’s clearly not that. His tape shows that he can’t hang in the NFL and yet it takes til now for that to start becoming the actual narrative. The guy is a guard or a really poor tackle. That’s fine but it’s not top 50 tackle prospect that PFF and others pretend he is. 

I didn't get a chance to catch the practice, which sucks. But I'm curious about how Lucas and Raimann held up overall.

The DTs are having a good senior Bowl 

Winfrey, Wyatt, Logan Hall (ish), Travis Jones, Eric Johnson have taken advantage of a week IOL class. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take a DT to fill out a DL room that will probably lose Foley, Shepard and Rankins this offseason. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/1/2022 at 3:40 PM, Peace Frog said:

We HAVE to make this happen. 

Some of these QBs need to start rocketing up the board.

Maybe Pickett dislocates his double jointed thumb and his hand measures at 14 inches.  

since jets are down there and payoffs are in vogue this week can JD slip the doc 100 grand per inch?

On 2/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, jetstream23 said:

There is nothing worth while to trade up for at 4. Teams will let the board come to them.

At 4, as of today, I believe the Jets are looking at either: Ikem; Hutch; Thib; or Neal at 4. Either Drake or Wilson at 10, and a trade up to get either an edge or OL that they didn't get at 4. ie. Penning, Green, Walker, Ojabo or Johnson. 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:59 PM, sec101row23 said:

These commentators are gushing about Penning because he is “chippy” and playing past the whistle, but he’s grabbing and holding on damn near every rep.  He’s also been straight up beaten a few times.  

Yeah it’s truly bizarre.

On 2/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I didn't get a chance to catch the practice, which sucks. But I'm curious about how Lucas and Raimann held up overall.

People have talked positively about Raimann. I haven’t seen it. I like Raimann but he’s had a rough senior bowl.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2022 at 1:59 PM, sec101row23 said:

These commentators are gushing about Penning because he is “chippy” and playing past the whistle, but he’s grabbing and holding on damn near every rep.  He’s also been straight up beaten a few times.  

It's like they ignore everything except for his strength. He's got developmental prospect written all over him because he's got good weight room strength, but he's not using it functionally. Hype around round 1 has got to calm down a little because he's not ready. Footwork and hand placement is all off for him. I saw that clip where he just throws a dude and am thinking are all these media types just ignoring the whole rest of the rep?

• Sympathy 1

On 2/3/2022 at 1:53 PM, kdels62 said:

The DTs are having a good senior Bowl 

Winfrey, Wyatt, Logan Hall (ish), Travis Jones, Eric Johnson have taken advantage of a week IOL class. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take a DT to fill out a DL room that will probably lose Foley, Shepard and Rankins this offseason. 

I would say that is about the safest bet position wise this draft. We were exposed the last half of the year as having nothing in the middle. And it may be higher than people think or want it to be.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Claymation said:

There is nothing worth while to trade up for at 4. Teams will let the board come to them.

At 4, as of today, I believe the Jets are looking at either: Ikem; Hutch; Thib; or Neal at 4. Either Drake or Wilson at 10, and a trade up to get either an edge or OL that they didn't get at 4. ie. Penning, Green, Walker, Ojabo or Johnson. 

Am I the only one who feels that Neal would be miscast a bit in the ZBS?

Excellent OLinman, just not the Jets type of OLineman.  And, at a spot like #4 overall you really can’t try to put a square peg in a round hole simply because he’s uber-talented and we could “transition” him to becoming a good movement blocker.

Back to this idea of nothing worthwhile to trade up for, my opinion is that everything has a fair price.  If you’re a good GM and not an ego guy then you utilize the Draft Value Chart as it suits your particular team and this particular draft.  Why not discount the pick in order to get what you want?  If the difference in value between the #4 guy and the #15 guy on your board is much, much closer than it has been in years past then you don’t need to “win the trade” and get something like multiple 1st and 2nd round picks over two years.  Just my take.  Marrying yourself to the value chart is 2012 thinking and ....I’m GM’ing where GM’ing is going. ;)