My completely narcissistic look-at-me how awesome am I art thread

On 2/5/2022 at 11:18 PM, maury77 said:

Great work man! I'd post some of my house and techno tracks that I've produced, but aside from @bitonti I don't think the board has too many fans of the genre. 

dude! I'm you're  huckleberry 

I'm returning to the board by the way 

Jet Blue fired me for gross incompetence 

• Sympathy 1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/5/2022 at 10:08 AM, freestater said:

I also make little 3x3 reproductions of many of my paintings (especially the ones I give away) and put magnets on them to populate my fridge door

20210807_112736.jpg

It's inexpensive to take these and get calendars printed.  (Great for little gifts).  My wife puts a calendar in with any original artwork purchase and people get all orgasmic over them. 

On 2/5/2022 at 3:14 PM, freestater said:

20211215_095822.jpg

@freestater

I love them all, but this one… ?

Edit…. 30 seconds later ? I scrolled quickly after this one, I’ve got to tell you, your art is amazing. I could never just pick one!

I was offered a scholarship back in the 70’s to the School of Visual Arts, but I went away instead to play baseball. I haven’t picked up a brush in years, but if I did, I could only wish to do half as well as you.

I used to love to work with charcoal back in the day, especially when doing portraits. Have you ever given that a try?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

@freestater

I love them all, but this one… ?

Edit…. 30 seconds later ? I scrolled quickly after this one, I’ve got to tell you, your art is amazing. I could never just pick one!

I was offered a scholarship back in the 70’s to the School of Visual Arts, but I went away instead to play baseball. I haven’t picked up a brush in years, but if I did, I could only wish to do half as well as you.

I used to love to work with charcoal back in the day, especially when doing portraits. Have you ever given that a try?

Thank you so very much. 

I've done a lot of pencil drawings, haven't worked with charcoal since high school. Here are a couple pencil drawings I did based on a movie I helped make and served as a bad guy for...

0927161821a.jpg

0927161821.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

On 2/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, JiFapono said:

Like actual movies?   There are very few and they all suck.  "North Shore" from the 80's is still the best one ever made and it's totally ridiculous and completely unbelievable, which makes it awesome.  Any 40+ year old surfer quotes that movie to this day.  lol  Big Wednesdy from the 70's was good back in the day, havent seen it in years.  Chasing Mavericks is cheesy but a great sad story.   Riding Giants was popular but dumb as sh*t.

The documentary game is very strong in the surfing world.  The obvious ones are Endless Summer I and II.  Both great to understand the culture and allure to the sport.  My favorite is one called "Kissed by God" it's a documentary about Andy Irons who was a tortured soul but one of the most gifted surfers of all time.  I really like 2 that are called "The September Sessions" and "Step into the Liquid".   There is pretty cool docu serious on HBO called the "100 Foot Wave" which has been interesting but really more focuses on the life Garret McNamarra who discovered what is now considered the biggest wave in the world.  "Searching for Tom Curren" and "Morning of Earth" and "Dog Town and Z-Boys" is a skate/surf cross but it's really good, IMO, Heath Ledger plays a major part. "Momentum Generation" is a great one. "Blood is thicker than Water" is a cool one about a surf gang.   And "Thicker than Water" was cool, and intro'd a lot of people to the music of Jack Johnson.

In addition, surfing has as sh*t ton of "videos" about specific surfers, surf teams, boards, styles of riding, etc. that are typically music driven with just hours of free surfing footage.  My favorite?  "Lost at Sea" but there are literally hundreds if not thousands of those types of videos produced all the time.

Does Point Break count? :)