Date We Should All Celebrate

Was a big fan of the space program and NASA.... It is amazing what we accomplished back then. The phrase 'The Right Stuff' was certainly appropriate for those men. I love the movie, because not only did it glorify the astronauts, it honored all the test pilots for their contributions, and could be said that they were the ones that should have been considered for the space program as well.

• Upvote 2

Was a huge NASA fan as a kid. We lived by Life Magazine. My brother still has his scrap book of all the photos. Had the Apollo 11 model 3 feet high and the LLM and Command Module models too. Testors, I believe. Could have been Revell.  

Someone may bust this thread to tell us it was all fake. Or mostly fake. Or partially fake. Or just 6 things that were fake. 

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Was a huge NASA fan as a kid. We lived by Life Magazine. My brother still has his scrap book of all the photos. Had the Apollo 11 model 3 feet high and the LLM and Command Module models too. Testors, I believe. Could have been Revell.  

Someone may bust this thread to tell us it was all fake. Or mostly fake. Or partially fake. Or just 6 things that were fake. 

They faked all the shadows and everything perfectly?  If they pulled that off for all these years it would be as impressive as actually going lol.  

I’m still impressed they went with the tech available back then.  My uncle was a targeting guy on a nuclear sub back then and the same thing.  They could take small computing power and do amazing things with it.

• Upvote 1

Below is a transcript of John Glenn’s ending rebuttal statement delivered during a debate with Howard Metzenbaum that took place at the Cleveland City Club on May 4th, 1974. At the time of the debate Glenn and Metzenbaum were running against each other in the Ohio Democratic Primary for U.S. Senator. In a speech given a few weeks prior to the debate Metzenbaum stated that Glenn had never held a real job.

Senator Glenn: “Howard, I can’t believe you said I have never held a job. "I served twenty-three years in the United States Marine Corps. I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on twelve different occasions. I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook; it was my life on the line. It was not a nine-to-five job where I took time off to take the daily cash receipts to the bank. “I ask you to go with me, as I went the other day, to a Veterans Hospital and look those men, with their mangled bodies, in the eye and tell them they didn't hold a job. You go with me to any gold-star mother and you look her in the eye and tell her that her son did not hold a job. “You go with me to the space program, and go as I have gone to the widows and orphans of Ed White and Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee, and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their Dad didn't hold a job. “You go with me on Memorial Day coming up and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends than I'd like to remember, and you watch those waving flags. You stand there, and you think about this nation, and you tell me that those people didn't have a job. “I'll tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men – some men - who held a job. And they required a dedication to purpose and a love of country and a dedication to duty that was more important than life itself. And their self-sacrifice is what made this country possible. “I have held a job, Howard!”

Below you will find a transcript of the exchange between John Glenn and Howard Metzenbaum that took place during a debate at t (osu.edu)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Too bad the Cold War was in existence.  Gagarin's accomplishment is mind blowing when you factor in the era.   The balls all those early space travelers/test pilots possessed can't be fully appreciated today.

Agreed….. unfortunately, todays’ young men having the starch governed out of them. The mavericks of old were something to behold!

Faster, higher and nothing was beyond possible 

• Upvote 1