What part of we need a franchise quarterback dont you people understand?

Varlo

wow half of the people on this site obviously have never been to a JET game and seen penningpuss and his noodle arm........and as for ramsey if a hall of fame coach like gibbs didnt see anything in him then i find it hard to believe that we can salvage his career. WE NEED A NEW FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK it doesnt matter how much money u spend.....if your gunna fix things then fix them the right way not a half ass job we have two first round picks and if the jets cant find a way to get a new qb that will b here for years to come then that says a lot about the new front office!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow half of the people on this site obviously have never been to a JET game and seen penningpuss and his noodle arm........and as for ramsey if a hall of fame coach like gibbs didnt see anything in him then i find it hard to believe that we can salvage his career. WE NEED A NEW FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK it doesnt matter how much money u spend.....if your gunna fix things then fix them the right way not a half ass job we have two first round picks and if the jets cant find a way to get a new qb that will b here for years to come then that says a lot about the new front office!

Perhaps it's the part where you ASSUME that Leinart, or Cutler, or Young are no-question, locks as "Franchise QB's".

They are all vastly risky, and all are otential Ryan Leaf's in waiting. Just. Say. No.

Winning starts in the trenches, not at QB. I'll take a D'Brick/Mangold/Best Available as MY First three picks, and YOU can turn your three picks into one QB, and put limp-arm Leinart in the New Jersey winds in front of Kendall and his can't-block cohorts and we'd see whose team plays better.

wow the both of you are retarted you can get offensive linemen in the later rounds you dont need to wast such athletic talent on O-lineman i would so pissed if they did and im sure im the not the only one that would be

Winning starts in the trenches, not at QB. I'll take a D'Brick/Mangold/Best Available as MY First three picks, and YOU can turn your three picks into one QB, and put limp-arm Leinart in the New Jersey winds in front of Kendall and his can't-block cohorts and we'd see whose team plays better.

Ah, my good buddy Fish understands the game of football.

Great post and so accurately true.;)

Perhaps it's the part where you ASSUME that Leinart, or Cutler, or Young are no-question, locks as "Franchise QB's".

They are all vastly risky, and all are otential Ryan Leaf's in waiting. Just. Say. No.

Snap! That's a bit of truth, right there.

wow the both of you are retarted you can get offensive linemen in the later rounds you dont need to wast such athletic talent on O-lineman i would so pissed if they did and im sure im the not the only one that would be

You just called people retarded while misspelling the following words:

"retarded"

"waste"

You also posted a giant run-on sentence with no punctuation. But Sperm, Warfish, and TX are the retarded ones.

Um... you can get great QB's in the later rounds, champ. Ever heard of Joe Montana? Third round pick. Tom Brady? Sixth round pick. If you don't have an offensive line, everything breaks down.

k y dont u go ask the steelers how they feel about spending there money on a qb?

They also drafted that QB 11th overall, and the third QB taken in that draft. And, to top that, he was the LAST piece of that puzzle. They already had a top notch offensive line. Their defense was stout. All they needed was a QB. And, he didn't get his shot until Tommy Maddox got hurt.

Listen, I agree, we don't need to address a QB in the early rounds...let's concentrate on the lines (both)...build the cohensivness it takes to create formidable lines and let's see what we have in Penny (even though his best years may be behind him) and Ramsey...then, draft a franchise QB next year..baby steps first before we get some kid killed back there. Just my opinion.

just because you dont feel the same way I do about getting a qb in next month's draft doesn't mean that you have to go against everything I say because the truth is that the Jets need a new qb because there is no way in hell Ramsey or Penningpuss will take us to the promise land

just because you dont feel the same way I do about getting a qb in next month's draft doesn't mean that you have to go against everything I say because the truth is that the Jets need a new qb because there is no way in hell Ramsey or Penningpuss will take us to the promise land

Not Killing you but..How old are you??

I'd rather pick up two solid players (primarily one for the o-line and a youngster on defense) than risk on a quarterback. if we fail this year, we can just get a QB in next years draft (maybe Brady Quinn will have a good year)

old enough to be your daddy

And that would put you close to your 90's, pal ;)

We're not going against everything you're saying. Well, in a way we are. And, I'm totally against it. I'm not in favor of drafting a first round QB. I've seen it fail twice with the Lions. And, it's not a chance I'd like the Jets to take. Build from the inside out. That's how you build a sucessful team. Yeah, Vick, Manning, and all them are good... but their teams haven't won sh*t. I'd rather follow a team that actually has a winning formula.

The point is there's nothing wrong with breaking the bank on a franchise QB. You find an experienced QB who's played against NFL talent, is resistant to injury, & based on that you think he's the goods - then throw all the money you want at him.

What you're suggesting is breaking the bank capwise on a ROOKIE (and no matter what position he plays or how much you wish he was inside you, he's still a ROOKIE). And if that's not enough, you're proposing giving away two first rounders (and if we traded down from #4 with Minny, it's two firsts and two seconds) for a guy who's never played against a pro defense & never played in a wind-tunnel like Giants Stadium, to let Bill Bellichick & Nick Saban gameplan against his weaknesses.

Do I need to start a thread called "What part of 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' don't you understand?"

err i do not think we need to draft a QB in the 1st round. there will be plently of quality QB's like Brady Quinn. I think we should spend our #4 and #29 picks for needs that are more important than QB. or we should trade down to get more picks to fill our needs.

We don't need a franchise qb because we have a franchise qb.

Did that make sense to you? Nobody in this year's draft is star quality and we already have Bollywood with a year under his belt. He's a true diamond in the rough.

Furthermore, even if there was a franchise guy out there, why draft him now only to see him get axed play after play. News flash....o-line ain't so stellar.

Draft D'Brick and if we get a #29 for Abe, take Davin Joseph. O-line rebuilt, that simple. Next.....

POTW NOM...brilliant and funny.

Careful...

Just as there are potential Ryan Leaf's out there, there are also potential Blair Thomas's, Kellen Winslow's, Johnny Lam Jone's, and the list goes on...

While I agree with you that winning start at the trenches, and whoever controls the line of scrimmage-controls the game, you still got to put a QB, WR, RB, and a TE that is worth a damn out there on the field to make use of what the your line is accomplishing.

Best example I can remember is the Redskins team that won the 1st superbowl under Gibbs (SB-17?). Their OLine was second to none. They were the original HOGS and they moved that line at will. But it was Riggins that ran that ball over the LB's and Safteties. It was Theisman who aired it out to his little known/used WR's to keep Miami guessing.

Bottom line is that you need to take a chance and draft players that you feel will get you to the next level (Franchise players), while not forgetting about the trenches. It's not one or the other. You need both.

All I'm saying is that the issue needs to be adressed and everyone here knows it

Dude, the Jets just picked up Ramsey.

He'll be fine as a stop-gap measure.

Jets have way too many holes to fill, and trying to obtain a "franchise QB" early in the draft would be a huge mistake.

Jets have way too many holes to fill, and trying to obtain a "franchise QB" early in the draft would be a huge mistake.

Speaking of holes TX, what's the word in NE?

I am anxious to see what BB and Paoli have planned.

His bus is coming - he won't be back till after 4:00

This seems to be one of the deepest drafts in years (R44 and Bit can confirm) Why would you want to give up valuable picks to get an over hyped QB that at best will help us in 3 years. Many teams have won the super bowl without "Franchise QB's". THe game is and has always been won in the treanches. We can draft a tools guy in a later round and let him sit an develop and he may very well be as good a s the first rounder you would want to mortgage the future on. Sexxy first round QB's are great for the fans and press to talk about but its the guys who do the blocking and tackling who get it done.

WHile i will not be unhappy with brick or Super Mario, with the draft being so deep and our holes so many, I still would love us to trade down for more picks. YOu have the rare chance to set the foundation for a new coach with "His" kind of players (as many as 8 contributors). This will pay dividends for years to come.

It's absurd. If they were trading for a KNOWN franchise QB I might be able to be sold on it. But we'd be giving up a ton for a 50/50 shot at a franchise QB. And even if he IS that franchise QB he'll need a better team around him than the Jets have (but are in a great position to create).

Look at these non-bust, pro-bowl/"franchise QB's" from the recent past & present (in no particular order) who have no rings:

Peyton Manning (6x pro-bowler, 1 MVP, so far)

Donovan McNabb (5x pro-bowler, so far)

Steve McNair (2x pro-bowler, 1 MVP)

Drew Brees (1x pro-bowler, so far)

Daunte Culpepper (3x pro-bowler, so far)

Jake Delhomme (1x pro-bowler, so far)

Trent Green (2x pro-bowler)

Matt Hasselbeck (2x pro-bowler, so far)

Marc Bulger (1x pro-bowler)

Drew Bledsoe (4x pro-bowler)

Michael Vick (3x pro-bowler)

Carson Palmer (1x pro-bowler - plenty of time, but Cin already had #1 pick)

Mark Brunell (3x pro-bowler)

Rich Gannon (4x pro-bowler)

Jeff Garcia (3x pro-bowler)

...and I'll throw in for good measure:

Dan Marino (9x pro-bowler)

Warren Moon (9x pro-bowler)

Not to mention others I'm missing here.

The point is that it takes more than one franchise QB (if Leinart even proves to be that) to win a superbowl, no matter how talented he is.

QB is BY FAR the most important position on the field.

BY FAR!

They can have literally all pros at every positon if they trot out Brooks Bollinger again the season is over.

Jets fans as a group don't seem to grasp how important the position is to winning. Without a decent QB they are dead in the water.

I hate to say it but i actually agree with Varlo's basic premise. They need a new franchise caliber QB in the worst way. That man is Jay Cutler. Keep the surfer dude and his lefty chad arm in soCal ill take the guy who throws the ball through a brick wall thank you very much.

as for the high level of risk involved in drafting a QB - WARFISH this comment is for you - There is more risk involved in NOT drafting a QB. We can't keep declaring the season abandoned every time Penny goes down.

there is a saying in poker you have to put the chips down if you want to pick em up. not drafting prospects due to risk is a ballless way to go through life - oh and by the way there is no guaruntee that a guy like mario or brick 1) will even be there at 4 2) is less risky than Cutler. All of these guys could be all-pros, all of em could be busts. We just don't know, that's what makes the draft fun.

QB is BY FAR the most important position on the field.

BY FAR!

They can have literally all pros at every positon if they trot out Brooks Bollinger again the season is over.

Jets fans as a group don't seem to grasp how important the position is to winning. Without a decent QB they are dead in the water.

I hate to say it but i actually agree with Varlo's basic premise. They need a new franchise caliber QB in the worst way. That man is Jay Cutler. Keep the surfer dude and his lefty chad arm in soCal ill take the guy who throws the ball through a brick wall thank you very much.

as for the high level of risk involved in drafting a QB - WARFISH this comment is for you - There is more risk involved in NOT drafting a QB. We can't keep decalring the season abandoned every time Penny goes down.

Bit - I heard that at the combine the Jets staff and scouts asked the QB's to draw up some plays from their college playbook and explain them. I heard Cutler did the worst and could not explain anything about his playbook. His physical skills are good but he may be another Jeff George mentally.

Bit - I heard that at the combine the Jets staff and scouts asked the QB's to draw up some plays from their college playbook and explain them. I heard Cutler did the worst and could not explain anything about his playbook. His physical skills are good but he may be another Jeff George mentally.

i don't know where you heard that. The true story is that the Jets set up a videotape console in the interview room and when Cutler walked in the lights were off and they got right down to breaking tape. Mangini et al. showed him tape of himself and they broke it down together.

Cutler's flaws aren't intellectual they are emotional. At times on film he clearly got completely pissed at the low level of talent surrounding him and he didn't trust his Vandy teammates or "lift them up" as much as say a guy like Chad Pennington might have. some would say he's got a bad attitude, others would say he takes no s--t. All i know is the Jets need some of that in the locker room, and they definately need a guy who can throw 25 yard outs and 45 yard go's without flinching.

Archived