JD is over rated

kevinc855

15 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Jets are historically bad at drafting/picking QB's. Since Namath I can't name one that has been as advertised. Jets need to hire someone who recognizes QB talent. I am not saying fire JD because I think he is a decent GM. Certainly better that what we have had for years, but he needs to get someone on his staff that has had success drafting/selecting QB's.  And don't say Chad Pennington because the Jets missed on the all-time great in that particular draft. Pennington was good but not great and was injury prone.

I actually think Kenny O and Todd were good QB's but that was also a long time ago. We had some really good years with them and I think if we had better coaches, they might have gotten to a SB with them. 

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

And drafted Becton Wilson mann ashyton Davis Cpt Morgan and signed all stars like perine and Lawson. 

Like I said very mixed results with still no playoffs to show so far in 4 years 

you got to remember too that 1st draft was for a Gase scheme. except for Becton because OL should fit everywhere the others are not scheme fits. cant force a new HC to play players that dont fit what there trying to do. 

all GMs have mixed results. take your pick of our best, Tanny, Parcells im sure we could find players drafted that we are like WTF. or any GM you like. im sure we can find mixed results too. 

i get it. its "overreaction Monday " everybody sucks. but think a play here or there and we have about 10 wins. nobody is blowing us out. our worst loses were in weeks 1 and 3 by 15. that was a different team then. 

• Upvote 1

Great post, picking a bad punter in the 7th round is a fair way to evaluate a GM.

The bottom line is that although he missed the Zach pick, its extraordinarily difficult to draft QBs that is a fact.  JD has taken a roster that wasnt bad, it was absolutely atrocious and has the team competing for a playoff spot, with bottom 10% level of production from QB.  He has also done this while keeping some cap flexibility as players like corey davis and carl lawson can be cut with little to no cap hits.

Put AVT and Breece on this team with even mediocore QB play and we will be in the playoff hunt every year

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Great post, picking a bad punter in the 7th round is a fair way to evaluate a GM.

The bottom line is that although he missed the Zach pick, its extraordinarily difficult to draft QBs that is a fact.  JD has taken a roster that wasnt bad, it was absolutely atrocious and has the team competing for a playoff spot, with bottom 10% level of production from QB.  He has also done this while keeping some cap flexibility as players like corey davis and carl lawson can be cut with little to no cap hits.

Put AVT and Breece on this team with even mediocore QB play and we will be in the playoff hunt every year

1) When making snarky posts make sure you have facts right. Mann was a 6th rounder. Its odd to even draft a punter but thats for another day.

2) "JD has taken a roster that wasnt bad, it was absolutely atrocious and has the team competing for a playoff spot, with bottom 10% level of production from QB. ".........YES WHO DRAFTED THAT QB

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

He’s been OK. Sauce and G Wilson have bought him some time. But this season (especially with this latest SOJ collapse) has been smoke and mirrors propped up by beating backup QB’s and a miracle against Cleveland. If Maccagnan is the benchmark then Douglas has done a better job, but overall the team is still in no man’s land. I think you’ll hear rumblings if they’re knocked out of the playoffs again. Woody seems to be getting antsy. Yesterday was a bad bad loss.

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Ah yes, the elite football minds I see!

Let us humble peasants discuss among the rif raf then. 

I have never said I had an "elite" football mind. More commenting on your yoyo of opinion. You went from "fire JD", to being one of the cheerleaders of his parade during the mid season run, to now saying he is "overrated".

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He’s been OK. Sauce and G Wilson have bought him some time. But this season (especially with this latest SOJ collapse) has been smoke and mirrors propped up by beating backup QB’s and a miracle against Cleveland. If Maccagnan is the benchmark then Douglas has done a better job, but overall the team is still in no man’s land. I think you’ll hear rumblings if they’re knocked out of the playoffs again. Woody seems to be getting antsy. Yesterday was a bad bad loss.

How is woody getting antsy lol

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have never said I had an "elite" football mind. More commenting on your yoyo of opinion. You went from "fire JD", to being one of the cheerleaders of his parade during the mid season run, to now saying he is "overrated".

Your condescending tone would hint otherwise 

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

How is woody getting antsy lol

Your dedication to towing the company line is admirable. 

The team still sucks. They won’t make the playoffs again and they don’t have a QB. Longest steak in the NFL. There’s no doubt he’s getting restless.

Yep think people are missing this point. Yesterday was bad. If we lose to jacksonville in our building it’s going to get ugly around Floram park 

But we were supposed to suck so it doesn’t matter (back to the nothing matters theme) so we shouldn’t care the Jets are in a collapse.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I made this point a few times earlier in the year but yesterday this roster was exposed. 

1) Zach Wilson was never the pick at 2

2) Berrios signing was a waste of money 

3) Braden Mann stinks. Cutting morestead was unbelievably stupid.

4) Lawson signing was a waste of money 

5) Oline has never been fixed. Sure you can blame this on injuries I suppose but my God. Becton another JD pick is a bust. 

Sure you can point to some nice draft picks and he’s not necessarily  a “bad” GM but my God stop making this guy out to be something he’s not. Seems like JAG GM to me. 

1.  He was almost everyone’s pick.  He still may develop, whoever was picked below Zach hasn’t distinguished himself either so move on from this

2.Who cares what Berrios makes.  He’s a gadget guy who gets playing time due to injury and is a pro bowl returner

3.Mann is one yard behind Moerstead.  Big deal, that’s a joke 

4.Lawson was paid to be Lawson, not Lawson a year removed from a career ending type injury.  Again it’s just money, who cares

5. OL has been decimated by injury.  Making the last minute pickups he’s made isn’t a negative.  Given the # of injuries it’s amazing that they’re not worse.

The draft from this season, the FA pickups, like Reed, Quincey etc and it says you’re just whining about his first draft and can’t let go

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Your dedication to towing the company line is admirable. 

The team still sucks. They won’t make the playoffs again and they don’t have a QB. Longest steak in the NFL. There’s no doubt he’s getting restless.

The team doesn’t suck

A lot of our fanbase does, jumping on and off the bandwagon, going from he’s great to he sucks after wins or loses. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The "if you told me in August" we be 7-7 nonsense here we go! 

Excuse train pulling into the station

In august you thought he sucked, wanted him fired because we would win 4 or whatever games.  Now 7-7 and the season still to play out and your shltting on 7-7 and whining he sucks and should be fired again.

Joe Douglas has been competent and that is a major step up.  Just having a GM that has a plan and the wherewithal to execute is a good thing.

His drafts have been up and down, his FA's have been up and down, - as I suspect all GM's are.  But he's made a couple of really impressive trades

We've had a hard time finding competence and we have that in him - JD shouldn't be going anyway.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The team doesn’t suck

A lot of our fanbase does, jumping on and off the bandwagon, going from he’s great to he sucks after wins or loses. 

How so? Im still gona be at Metlife Thursday. I was still screaming my head off on the 4th and inches. I'm just tired of talk talk and NO results. The team is amidst an epic collapse. How do you not see this or are content with it? Thats the real curious fans. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The team doesn’t suck

Perhaps suck is strong as we’re not Texans level bad. But this latest collapse you have to start reconsidering the state of the franchise. Next season likely won’t have Skylar Thompson, Trevor Simien, Trubisky, and Mark Rypien on the schedule.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

B/c everyone has an opinion here’s mine:

- i think the reason they lost was b/c Q didn’t play.  He impacts the game in a major way.  He is definitely the jets’ best player and if you take any team’s best player off the field it really hurts.  They were gashed in the run game all day.

- the OL has once again become a major problem, due to injuries mostly.  They have no run game and it’s become easier for teams to blitz.  Mike white would not have survived yesterday.

- wilson played better yesterday than in prior games but his weaknesses are what they are.  The question is, how much can the coaches scheme to minimize them, and can there be enough big plays to justify having a qb who has trouble hitting a basic 10 yard slant?

- when this season is all said and done we’ll look back and say the season overall was a success, the rebuild, or whatever that means to us at this point, is moving in the right direction.  I’m assuming the philosophy will continue to be to stack both lines and add pass rushers.  

• Upvote 2

I made this point a few times earlier in the year but yesterday this roster was exposed. 

1) Zach Wilson was never the pick at 2

2) Berrios signing was a waste of money 

3) Braden Mann stinks. Cutting morestead was unbelievably stupid.

4) Lawson signing was a waste of money 

5) Oline has never been fixed. Sure you can blame this on injuries I suppose but my God. Becton another JD pick is a bust. 

Sure you can point to some nice draft picks and he’s not necessarily  a “bad” GM but my God stop making this guy out to be something he’s not. Seems like JAG GM to me. 

You go be the GM. Please

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

How so? Im still gona be at Metlife Thursday. I was still screaming my head off on the 4th and inches. I'm just tired of talk talk and NO results. The team is amidst an epic collapse. How do you not see this or are content with it? Thats the real curious fans. 

Except first year after gutting the team they’ve been contending.  You’re rooting for wins, hard, in December.  I’m betting you watching the scoreboard and go into games for the first time in years thinking we can win that game and getting pissed when we lose.  Those are the results, it’s on you that you and others who don’t see the difference with this team.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

when this season is all said and done we’ll look back and say the season overall was a success,

7-4 entering December and not making the playoffs? Won't be a success to alot. Certainly not to me and many other fans. These opportunities only come around so often. This assumption we will be 7-4 again next year is hypothetical. Seize the moment. 

• Upvote 1

7-4 entering December and not making the playoffs? Won't be a success to alot. Certainly not to me and many other fans. These opportunities only come around so often. This assumption we will be 7-4 again next year is hypothetical. Seize the moment. 

I agree, but also, i can’t ignore the reality that this team is average.  They have not beaten any good teams this year.  They have a LOT of injuries.  Q changes the game yesterday, he is an all pro DT who impacts every play.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except first year after gutting the team they’ve been contending.  You’re rooting for wins, hard, in December.  I’m betting you watching the scoreboard and go into games for the first time in years thinking we can win that game and getting pissed when we lose.  Those are the results, it’s on you that you and others who don’t see the difference with this team.  

I agree and if the jets somehow beat jax, we’re still in it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Perhaps suck is strong as we’re not Texans level bad. But this latest collapse you have to start reconsidering the state of the franchise. Next season likely won’t have Skylar Thompson, Trevor Simien, Trubisky, and Mark Rypien on the schedule.

Just like you expected these QBs to play this season?

Or that Tua would have put up 41 points for a fish win, R Wilson would have beat us, because he’s been great winning games, Trubisky didn’t play big minutes, Chicago wouldn’t have beaten the Jets with Fields.